Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MrMac84 wrote: »

I heard a whisper Ogbene might have gone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This morning the players at @BrayWanderers have been advised money only to cover next week & they can all speak to new clubs about leaving.

wadacrack wrote: »
    This morning the players at @BrayWanderers have been advised money only to cover next week & they can all speak to new clubs about leaving.

Any source on that?

Will be difficult for Bray to finish the season now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bye bye Bray. Hard to see them come back from that. Relegation might be just be 2 others going down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We all saw it coming.

If they go out of business before the end we would lose 4 points, Pats & Drogs would lose 1 each. We'd be bottom on 13 points, 3 points behind Drogs, Galway & Pats.

Hopefully they make it to the end of the year and then don't get a license for next year. Only 2 teams would go down then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who's gone there?

Henry Cameron, NZ international who was released by Blackpool.

Oat23 wrote: »
    We all saw it coming.

If they go out of business before the end we would lose 4 points, Pats & Drogs would lose 1 each. We'd be bottom on 13 points, 3 points behind Drogs, Galway & Pats.

Hopefully they make it to the end of the year and then don't get a license for next year. Only 2 teams would go down then.

In fairness if they do stop before the end there should be a serious look into the licencing. Although that should've been done before.

And o Connor should be done for reckless ownership too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bray statement is not surprising

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We all know licencing is a joke

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Today or the one on Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pretty disgraceful situation here. They sell some/all of their players so will be much weaker when some clubs play them. A win against a weakened Bray side may save a club from relegation.

They've also driven up wages in the league which they now can't pay. Some of the struggling clubs may have been able to sign these players if they were affordable. It's effectively cheating. I'd like to see them relegated as to see a well run club living within its means going down in place of Bray would be hard to watch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We all saw it coming.

Bohs would lose six, Derry get a big gain...and Dundalk were beaten by them too, so the gap to Cork would come down. Extra motivation for Cork obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dfx- wrote: »
    Bohs would lose six...and Dundalk were beaten by them too...so the gap to Cork would come down. Extra motivation for Cork obviously.

It'll make zero difference to the title race as Cork are so far ahead and still have to play them in second round of games, but if we were within single figures it'd certainly make things interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Mushy wrote: »
    Bray as a town should comfortably be getting more numbers than they are.

Yes they should be all the shenanigans that have gone on over lets say the last 10 years have meant that there is a total apathy and mistrust in the town towards the owners past and present. As far as I can tell the club have not done enough to get the people of the town on their side.
    Even down to getting involved in something as trivial as the local St. Patrick's day parade.

The statement etc from O'connor on Friday just showed how shambollic they are. Complaining about the facilities etc (He's the chariman of the club he's the one responsible for the facilities it's not something new) it was one of the first things a number of people involved on a voluntary basis in the club had identified as needing fixing going back 5/6 years ago (they are no longer involved since the O'connors got involved)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

We all saw it coming.

Table wise it would be a real benefit to us, lost twice and conceded 8.

Would rather not see it tho. It seems clear enough what O'Connor is at. Looked to move bray out of town in their 5year plan but Wicklow coco wouldn't rezone, short term investment now and the money disappears leaving the club on the brink. I really hope wicklow never give that site development zoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That comforting * on the league table.

overshoot wrote: »
    Table wise it would be a real benefit to us, lost twice and conceded 8.

Would rather not see it tho. It seems clear enough what O'Connor is at. Looked to move bray out of town in their 5year plan but Wicklow coco wouldn't rezone, short term investment now and the money disappears leaving the club on the brink. I really hope wicklow never give that site development zoning

I don't think the council will rezone but can only hope on that being local.
    Needs to be remembered that the chairman has a 15% stake in the club and that the remainder is owned by a former st.pats owner and we know what was attempted when he owned them

• Advertisement

I could never understand why clubs like Bray and Athlone never rebranded as county teams.

When the league struggles to attract interest as it is you're completely limiting yourself naming a team after a tiny town.

Westmeath and Wicklow playing in the county colours might draw in numbers from the other towns in the region.

I could never understand why clubs like Bray and Athlone never rebranded as county teams.

When the league struggles to attract interest as it is you're completely limiting yourself naming a team after a tiny town.

Westmeath and Wicklow playing in the county colours might draw in numbers from the other towns in the region.

Historically there have been a lot of bad blood between bray and the wicklow league (partly due to bray aligning themselves with Joeys).
    When I was a kid playing football all of the club finals were held in the carlisle. I honestly don't think that has been the case for the last 15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Bohs would lose six, Derry get a big gain...and Dundalk were beaten by them too, so the gap to Cork would come down. Extra motivation for Cork obviously.

We've only played them once so it'll make no difference to the gap in points, at least at this moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This makes such a mockery of the so called licensing process,every man, woman and child knew this was going happen, just not those involved in 'licensing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

FAI - Can you cover wages for the season?

Club - Maybe

FAI - no license then. Good day.

Surely it should be as simple as that?

gimmick wrote: »

Club - Maybe

You'd think that.

Between the FAI licencing, O Connor "budgeting" for bumper attendances....both should be held accountable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I don't think people were wishing they would fold. They simply said with a fair degreee of certainty this shît would happen.

If we can see that then the FAI can see that.

I know I completely over simplified in my previous post but something needs to be done. This happens far too regularly.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Bray isn't really Wicklow an more anyway. Very few people would see them (or the town itself) as anything other than Dublin and if you were replacing them with a 'Wicklow' side you'd need to move them down to a town in the county.

Everyone must have a serious root on them at this news anyway. I remember before the season started there was baying for blood and wishing them out of business because they spent some money. Is it Waterford that people want to fold too?

Is it a good thing that this has happened again in our league? Good for the image of it? Maybe as we've all seen it happen before then we were all correct in calling it what it was.

The knock on effects then -

Do we have a 9 team 1st division graveyard next season?

This could be devastating to any of the bottom clubs who have beaten them.

Clubs who have budgeted a home game against them will lose out on this income.

That's to name but 3 effects on other clubs in the league.

• Advertisement

Also can there not be a safety net of some sort from the FAI? Can some of Delaney's wages not be used so they can see out the season?

I know this would be open to abuse but if a club were to use this safety net the penalties for the following season should be severe like an automatic 10 point deduction etc.

(I'm ranting. I know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can some of Delaney's wages not be used so they can see out the season?
    You think that sod would give up any of his wages to help clubs? There's only one person he's interested in, and that's himself.

fullstop wrote: »
    Can some of Delaney's wages not be used so they can see out the season?
    You think that sod would give up any of his wages to help clubs? There's only one person he's interested in, and that's himself.

His girlfriend be devastated if she saw this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Also can their not be a safety net of some sort from the FAI? Can some of Delaney's wages not be used so they can see out the season?

I know this would be open to abuse but if a club were to use this safety net the penalties for the following season should be severe like an automatic 10 point deduction etc.

(I'm ranting. I know)

Why should the FAI provide a safety net while other clubs live within their means?

You'd essentially have the governing body subsidising a team who might stay up ahead of other better run clubs.

Fully agree that Delaney gets paid too much but the idea that the FAI should subsidise player wages is ridiculous

Also can their not be a safety net of some sort from the FAI? Can some of Delaney's wages not be used so they can see out the season?

(I'm ranting. I know)

Definitely ranting.

If they see out the season then they should be deducted at least 15 points now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

What about the Dundalk money? if all the players are free they are going to feel hard done by.

And should this money be used to run the club on an underage structure until the end of the season?

joeysoap wrote: »
    What about the Dundalk money? if all the players are free they are going to feel hard done by.

Dundalk were hustled. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

What I can't understand is that Bray budgeted for decent sized crowds.

I tried to follow the league much more closely this season and contacted Bray a couple of times for info and they didn't reply.

I tried to get information about an upcoming match and it wasn't available until the day of the match and usually was badly presented.

If someone like me who makes an active effort to get more information about the league and can't why the hell would this club get more fans to come to the games?

Its sad to see the league is such a shambles season after season. People complain to the 'armchair fans' that they don't pay much attention to the league that is on their doorstep but no effort is being made by the league to engage the interest of the casual football fan.

There are major issues with the management of a lot of clubs but who is responsible for the marketing? Its shocking how badly run things are.

Anyone in business knows that the idea of 'build it and they will come' is not true at all. The league has to make an active effort to market themselves and each club has to do more than send out a few tweets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Club - Maybe

I think that's more effort than is put in by licensing. As long as the form is filled in, it seems you get a licence...especially if you have new owners...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Division wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that Bray budgeted for decent sized crowds.

I tried to follow the league much more closely this season and contacted Bray a couple of times for info and they didn't reply.

I tried to get information about an upcoming match and it wasn't available until the day of the match and usually was badly presented.

If someone like me who makes an active effort to get more information about the league and can't why the hell would this club get more fans to come to the games?

Its sad to see the league is such a shambles season after season. People complain to the 'armchair fans' that they don't pay much attention to the league that is on their doorstep but no effort is being made by the league to engage the interest of the casual football fan.

There are major issues with the management of a lot of clubs but who is responsible for the marketing? Its shocking how badly run things are.

Anyone in business knows that the idea of 'build it and they will come' is not true at all. The league has to make an active effort to market themselves and each club has to do more than send out a few tweets.

Out of interest what info were you looking for that wasn't publicly available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think that's more effort than is put in by licensing. As long as the form is filled in, it seems you get a licence...especially if you have new owners...

It was a very significant amount of work for ourselves this year. Not sure how it is for more established clubs.

Bray are bitching about attendances but I can't see what they did to improve things.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0630/886930-bray/

howiya wrote: »
    Out of interest what info were you looking for that wasn't publicly available?

Detailed match reports. Strategic previews. Extended highlights. The things that give me a good idea what happened in the game besides the goals.

If we take Wexford and Waterford as clubs who changed hands if the past 12 months, can we expect to see Bray Town/City/Seaside/ emerge from the ashes?

• Advertisement

Division wrote: »
    Bray are bitching about attendances but I can't see what they did to improve things.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0630/886930-bray/

They overspent on players. I wish I was joking!

June and Bray will most likely have an * ....
    giphy.gif

Just seen the Sligo vs Shams score

That 3rd place is jinxed :)

Why should the FAI provide a safety net while other clubs live within their means?

You'd essentially have the governing body subsidising a team who might stay up ahead of other better run clubs.

Fully agree that Delaney gets paid too much but the idea that the FAI should subsidise player wages is ridiculous

I'll defend it. The FAI granted them a license. Therefore they should be somewhat accountable for this.

To have fixtures expunged and for clubs to lose gates is less fair than for them to be bailed out.

I'm not saying all wages be paid by them but they should make sure their fixtures are fulfilled. If the team needs to use this safety net then the punishments are to be penal.

It happened in English cricket. Durham went nuts and could not afford it. The governing body bailed them out to the tune of £2.5m to see out the season. They started the next season with a huge points deficit. Had to pay back the loan and were not granted any international games for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Agree. This idea that the FAI should just trow money at clubs is crazy. Should they do more for the league? Of course. But just handing out money isn't the way to go and wont help anything in the long term.

If one club is bailed out it opens the flood games, as the clubs who at the moment do nothing in terms of fundraising etc will do even less if they know they'll be safe.

In Brays case at the start of the season i would say the FAI should have given them etxra funding etc as they had set out a long term plan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement