Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Imagine the uproar if it cost city the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Derry charging in €25 to a match that they are already 6:1 down from the first leg, in a town, miles from home, shows the utter stupidity of some involved in the league.

No sympathy for them whatsoever.

As much as people criticise the FAI, it just goes to show how widespread the failings are.

Them and Bray look to be 20% of the clubs in next season's Premier. :rolleyes:

In fairness I wonder if they charged €10 would they have got 1200 to get the same income with the tie dead? *Although i might have gone for a look at the danes for that price, but with the tie dead it would have killed a lot of interest. Do shels still charge 15 to other D1 clubs 10?

Bray is a joke but it does call licencing into question. Yes clubs have to make an assumption on gates, sponsorship and given the fine lines this league runs on shortfalls can happen. But where there is a known black hole the investor money should surely be in a pot before the year starts to prevent this scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yep, Shels charge €15 in as they have done for about 15 years regardless of division and even back in the day it was the same price for European matches in Tolka if I'm not mistaken.

I think some other FD clubs charge more than a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yep, Shels charge €15 in as they have done for about 15 years regardless of division and even back in the day it was the same price for European matches in Tolka if I'm not mistaken.

I think some other FD clubs charge more than a tenner.

possibly... think we did 10 for terrace 12 for seats last time... tolka all seats
    part of me is happy i have to ask the question... that may end soon tho if pats/sligos signings work out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Cork just confirmed they'are at home first on Thursday, 7.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are there UEFA rules stopping clubs from streaming games not picked up by TV? Really disappointed I couldn't watch the Cork game last night.

Hopefully there's a stream of the next game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Cork just confirmed they'are at home first on Thursday, 7.45.

Delighted as I'm going on hols soon after! Last time to see Seanie in a City jersey, he really is a class apart. The way he is playing, he really is the best city have ever had in that position, pity he couldn't stay for a couple more seasons but he will be sorely missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

As a matter of interest what were Cork and Shamrock Rovers charging in last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted as I'm going on hols soon after! Last time to see Seanie in a City jersey, he really is a class apart. The way he is playing, he really is the best city have ever had in that position, pity he couldn't stay for a couple more seasons but he will be sorely missed!

Same here, I leave the day after. Might pop down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

paulie21 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what were Cork and Shamrock Rovers charging in last night?

€20 for Cork City anyway.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    €20 for Cork City anyway.

They do an early bird special at 15- anyone know if the clubshop are selling tickets today as I'm heading down later to see can I get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They do an early bird special at 15- anyone know if the clubshop are selling tickets today as I'm heading down later to see can I get them

Thats only for the first round IIRC. I doubt there will be an early bird this week tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

€15 at Tallaght.

Got through to the clubshop the tickets fir the city game are on sale now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Only €15 if you bought the ticket before the draw took place. €20 after the draw. Either way, it's still good value to see European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Got through to the clubshop the tickets fir the city game are on sale now

Apparently there were queues outside the shop this afternoon. Got mine on Ticketmaster earlier today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

http://www.dundalkfc.com/rosenborg-extra-tickets/

Rosenburg obviously returned their quota and Dundalk are putting them on sale tomorrow. ( match was previously advertised as sold out) they did this 2 years ago too with the Bate tickets and accommodated the few visiting fans in a small section of the stand.

Fwiw €20 for champions league football

Apparently there were queues outside the shop this afternoon. Got mine on Ticketmaster earlier today :)

Got mine, not much of a rush, but wanted to get by my usual spot by the benches...Advice id say is to get it early as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Still can't believe Derry were charging €25.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Still can't believe Derry were charging €25.

I can't believe people paid it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How much did Cork and Rovers charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

NIMAN wrote: »
    How much did Cork and Rovers charge?

Usual match prices at Rovers. €15 adult, €10 student.

According to some journos on Twitter, match fixing charges are being brought against ATFC

FAI statement attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

gufc21 wrote: »
    6400 through the gates to see cork win, about 4,500 to see rovers play.

467 to see derry play. Granted the fact that it was all but over hirt them but the €25 euro tickets didnt help any.

Corks gate €€€ was more than Brays yearly gate receipts !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Our new forward isn't allowed play tomorrow as his paperwork hasn't gone through. He's been signed for nearly a month now, the windows been open over a week and his last club was in England.

Shams sold the whole league out for a little cash today. Embarrassed 9-0 by Celtic because they put out a team of kids. Most won't know that though.

And the less said about the FAI RE: Registration, the better. Bunch of goons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sold out? Haha get the boat. The Celtic fans got the show they wanted, Rovers got the pay-day we wanted and now we can focus on the proper football on Thursday.

Sold out? Haha get the boat. The Celtic fans got the show they wanted, Rovers got the pay-day we wanted and now we can focus on the proper football on Thursday.

giphy.gif

You just disagreed with my claim they sold the rest of us out and then accurately described selling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Oat23 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You just disagreed with my claim they sold the rest of us out and then accurately described selling out.

I dont get the issue here...

Should they have fielded a full strength team?

Should they have turned down a sell out game?

• Advertisement

There's nothing to sell out. Rovers are no more responsible for the imagined integrity of the league that Sligo are when they lose to Liverpool youth teams. Rovers only obligation in having a meaningless friendly like this is to sell the tickets and put people out on the pitch.

What exactly is it that you think they sold out? Is this like an indie band signing for a major label thing?

gufc21 wrote: »
    I dont get the issue here...

Should they have fielded a full strength team?

Should they have turned down a sell out game?
    There's nothing to sell out. Rovers are no more responsible for the imagined integrity of the league that Sligo are when they lose to Liverpool youth teams. Rovers only obligation in having a meaningless friendly like this is to sell the tickets and put people out on the pitch.

What exactly is it that you think they sold out? Is this like an indie band signing for a major label thing?

My issue is with the result only strengthening the belief among most Irish football fans that the LOI is sh*te. Most won't realise it was basically Shams U19s playing. They sold the league short for a payday.

And we lost 2-1 to a fully fit Liverpool U21 team in a game played in February. Bit different to 9-0.

It's just frustrating is all. Like that Man United hammering when the FAI decided to put together a crap team made up of players from sides not competing in Europe. Made the league look awful.

Nonsense. Those that don't want anything to do with the league aren't going to have anything to do with it no matter what. Rovers have no obligation whatsoever in going out to break their arses against a strong Celtic team in a friendly just because 'people will slag off the league' if they don't. 1-1, 2-0, 9-0 it doesn't matter what the scoreline is, the people that went to see Celtic only want to see Celtic and won't be back no matter what the score.

'Selling out the league' is such a daft concept but if you could level it at anything, it would be jeopardising coefficient points next week by risking a single first team player when there's European football a week away.

I mean honestly what are Rovers meant to do? Turn down a full house because people who don't care about the league in the first place still won't care about it afterwards?

Nonsense. Those that don't want anything to do with the league aren't going to have anything to do with it no matter what. Rovers have no obligation whatsoever in going out to break their arses against a strong Celtic team in a friendly just because 'people will slag off the league' if they don't. 1-1, 2-0, 9-0 it doesn't matter what the scoreline is, the people that went to see Celtic only want to see Celtic and won't be back no matter what the score.

'Selling out the league' is such a daft concept but if you could level it at anything, it would be jeopardising coefficient points next week by risking a single first team player when there's European football a week away.

I mean honestly what are Rovers meant to do? Turn down a full house because people who don't care about the league in the first place still won't care about it afterwards?

I never said they should put out a stronger team or turn the game down, did I? I spotted the result on twitter and mentioned it since nobody else has. Every team in the league would accept the game because every team (bar Dundalk) need the money. It's just annoying to see the league being sold short again.

I disagree with what you said about the people there only want to see Celtic and there's no chance of winning any of them over. I'm sure there were many young kids there today who could be LOI fans in the future, but seeing local teams get hammered is doing nothing to win them over.

Perhaps some day the league can reach a point where the teams are not so desperate for money they need a sell out game against a foreign side to make a bit of dough from the barstoolers. One can hope..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oat23 wrote: »
    I never said they should put out a stronger team or turn the game down, did I? I spotted the result on twitter and mentioned it since nobody else has. Every team in the league would accept the game because every team (bar Dundalk) need the money. It's just annoying to see the league being sold short again.

Which goes to show just how meaningless it was. Seriously, nobody mentioned it because it's unimportant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I usually find these games counter productive to the Leagues Image and as a Bohs fan I'd prefer to avoid them as no team is gonna put out a first team squad considering there is bigger fish to fry in the league/Europe so puts a heavy beating on youngsters which can't be good on them and I'd rather market the club in other ways. BUT thats easier said than done when Liverpool, Celtic, United would sell out your ground and put nice figures in your bank balance so a club would be foolish not to take it on.

with this game today,

1. Rovers got the sellout , cash is king in this league.
    2. The Celtic LOI fans or general football fans with knowledge of the game that were there know that's not a fair reflection on our league and that the squad consisted of mainly u19s as mentioned.
    3. the ones that will slag the league as a result are not going to come back anyway and even if Rovers had of won they would have said sure it's only a friendly.

You can't win!!

You didn't say the league was being sold short though, which again it isn't by Rovers filling a stadium with people who want to see a Scottish team play. You said that Rovers "sold the whole league out for a little cash". As if there was some kid up in Donegal all set to go and see Finn Harps but who won't now because Rovers youth team took a hiding.

As for winning over local kids, that's not going to happen in one-off meaningless friendlies. It's down to visiting schools, getting involved with youth teams and youth players and becoming a real part of the community, just like Rovers are doing. The money taken in today will go into things like that, into sending youth teams abroad and improving on facilities.

Give me a 9-0 against Celtic every single month if it means that we can continue to build and grow both and home and in Europe.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Which goes to show just how meaningless it was. Seriously, nobody mentioned it because it's unimportant.

Unimportant to LOI fans, yes. But it was on live TV in Ireland & the UK + around the world on Celtic TV.

You didn't say the league was being sold short though, which again it isn't by Rovers filling a stadium with people who want to see a Scottish team play. You said that Rovers "sold the whole league out for a little cash". As if there was some kid up in Donegal all set to go and see Finn Harps but who won't now because Rovers youth team took a hiding.

As for winning over local kids, that's not going to happen in one-off meaningless friendlies. It's down to visiting schools, getting involved with youth teams and youth players and becoming a real part of the community, just like Rovers are doing. The money taken in today will go into things like that, into sending youth teams abroad and improving on facilities.

Give me a 9-0 against Celtic every single month if it means that we can continue to build and grow both and home and in Europe.

I guess we have differing views. Getting pumped by foreign teams does nothing for the league in my opinion.

And I genuinely do hope you spend the money investing in your youth sides and promoting the club among local kids. You've p*ssed all the money made previously from Europe and friendlies gifted to you by the FAI down the drain though so I won't hold my breath on that.

I don't mind any of these friendlies as long as the visitors don't bring a youth side. That was pretty much the full Celtic side.

Playing an u-21 or "representative" side with your full team I'd have an issue with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Serious question; could you see Dundalk organising a friendly in the middle of the season?

A) Dundalk have turned down every offer of a friendly in the past 3 seasons as it would have distracted from the business on hand. This year is no different

If rovers or anybody else want to play a friendly, then that's their business, but probably demonstrates the position the club currently are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I definitely get what you're saying Oat, but I don't think Shamrock Rovers are particularly deserving of criticism in the current scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Omackeral wrote: »

Well if Celtic lost it would sure as hell be spoke about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think with these matches the club or league shouldn't come out of it with a drubbing like that in 2017. I've seen the reports that Celtic beat Shamrock Rovers 9-0, and it doesn't do anyone any favours really. I don't think it's 'selling out' or anything like that, just the sort of thing I'd rather not have the league here associated with in the middle of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Someone in work tonight said to me, "jez, I see Celtic beat Rovers 9-0".

Now they are just checking the headline. For them I am sure there will be an element of "Rovers and LoI football must be awful".

And I'm sure he's not the only one.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Serious question; could you see Dundalk organising a friendly in the middle of the season?

A) Dundalk have turned down every offer of a friendly in the past 3 seasons as it would have distracted from the business on hand. This year is no different

If rovers or anybody else want to play a friendly, then that's their business, but probably demonstrates the position the club currently are in.

huh? That's no reason to turn it down. You can play/organise the game and not affect the business on hand. Rovers have done it and gone on to win the league.

Dundalk certainly should've been playing friendlies between the cup final and last Europa game too, but didn't..

sugarman wrote: »
    I expected it to be mostly plastic Celtic fans, but **** me... it was embarrassing seeing 95% of the crowed draped in Celtic gear head to toe, singing songs in British accents... having a go at Rovers fans and players.

The saying only in Ireland gets thrown around an awful lot, but literally... only in Ireland would you get a bunch of plastic brain dead fans following a British club over one of their own.. laughing, jeering and booing fans and essentially the youth team.

Every time Celtic scored, id about 10 lads trying to slag me for supporting Rovers and they couldn't understand why it was water off a ducks back to me..

I dunno if I'd have resisted a "well f*** off back to Britain and your Queen"...probably would depend on how rough they looked! No big issue with Celtic fans, but when they have a go at fans of Irish clubs and you just know the only reason they are following Celtic is the Irish angle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

joeysoap wrote: »

Cork City recently turned down Crystal Palace. I think the date was sometime this week. The last few of these games that we've had have drawn a much lower crowd than the average league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sugarman wrote: »
    Today was an absolute cringe fest...

Im a Rovers fan and went to the game on the back of free ticket, I go to nearly all the home games but our group had zero interest going given that it wasn't on the season ticket and a nothing game.

I expected it to be mostly plastic Celtic fans, but **** me... it was embarrassing seeing 95% of the crowed draped in Celtic gear head to toe, singing songs in British accents... having a go at Rovers fans and players.

The saying only in Ireland gets thrown around an awful lot, but literally... only in Ireland would you get a bunch of plastic brain dead fans following a British club over one of their own.. laughing, jeering and booing fans and essentially the youth team.

Every time Celtic scored, id about 10 lads trying to slag me for supporting Rovers and they couldn't understand why it was water off a ducks back to me..

Regarding the result, sure it looks bad.. but it makes **** all of a difference.. Regular fans know its a nothing money spinner and those that were never going to suddenly start supporting them or the league anyway.

"Plastic fans" "plastic brain dead fans" tone down the bitterness lad if the match was so meaningless.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    "Plastic fans" "plastic brain dead fans" tone down the bitterness lad if the match was so meaningless.

Um, I don't think he was referring to the significance of the game at all, but the attitude of some Celtic fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement