Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

doncarlos wrote: »
    One point deduction for every person that entered the pitch area

If they do that then myself and a few mates might go into the Rovers section at their next few matches and get them deducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was as comfortable as it gets and even more comfortable when City were denied the most stone cold penalty you will ever see and Ref who gave us absolutely FA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was as comfortable as it gets and even more comfortable when City were denied the most stone cold penalty you will ever see and Ref who gave us absolutely FA.

Worst and most biased ref I have seen in years. That was a stonewall pen on 30 mins. A clear handball on the the line, definite red and a pen, worst decision I've seen in a long time, blatantly stopped the ball from going over the line, total joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Longford looked a shambles on Soccer Republic last night. Could be a long season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Worst and most biased ref I have seen in years. That was a stonewall pen on 30 mins. A clear handball on the the line, definite red and a pen, worst decision I've seen in a long time, blatantly stopped the ball from going over the line, total joke!
    Was he biased or just completely and hopelessly incompetent?

I reckon it was back in the days of Jim O'Neill since I've seen a referee that out of their depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

He was completely incompetent, I'll backup this league until the day I die, but when you have referee's missing the most blatant handball that Ive ever seen, its makes it difficult. Was talking to a Rovers fan living in Cork up in the Evergreen after the game, he literally could not believe they got away with it, and they were up the other side of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Thought Waterford were on course for a return to the big time there for a wile, not looking great now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

He is a poor enough ref, not biased just a tad out of his depth. Last year he booked Andy Boyle twice in the same match but didn't send him off. Ref in Derry missed a blatant peno for bohs looking at soccer Republic last night, and that might have gotten them a point.

* shhhhh, no names but there is one ref who gets no Dundalk matches to ref .:).

cms88 wrote: »
    Thought Waterford were on course for a return to the big time there for a wile, not looking great now :(

Make the playoffs and anything can happen. Look at Finn Harps last year. Limerick are automatic to the premier, everything else is up for grabs. If Monaghan had stayed in business chances are you would have played them in the playoff instead of Dundalk in 2012. Afaik Roddy was managing Monaghan when they folded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No he was just crap ref I admit.

On this occasion it just happened be 95% if bad calls against Cork

You know you've had a bad night as a ref when you are booed off the pitch by the fans of the team that just won 2-0.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CHealy wrote: »
    You know you've had a bad night as a ref when you are booed off the pitch by the fans of the team that just won 2-0.

Both at ht and ft. It really was a pathetic performance from the ref. I'm still angry at the pen decision not being given, it really was the most clear cut and definite pen I've seen not given .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We got Pike Rovers in the second round of the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The ref last night was a joke . Could be a long season for rovers , they looked very poor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Firhouse Clover away. Another ground to add to the list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Cabinteely at home. Of the league team we couldn't ask for better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bray again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Firhouse Clover away. Another ground to add to the list :D

You know you can just walk into IT Tallaght to see their pitch! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You know you can just walk into IT Tallaght to see their pitch! :pac::pac:

Is it grass or astro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

bohs away. Sure it's no fun getting an easy draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dan Murray getting an unexpected reunion with Rovers again.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Make the playoffs and anything can happen. Look at Finn Harps last year. Limerick are automatic to the premier, everything else is up for grabs. If Monaghan had stayed in business chances are you would have played them in the playoff instead of Dundalk in 2012. Afaik Roddy was managing Monaghan when they folded.

True. I find it odd how a club can hold their own at U17 etc but then cant seem to bring it to senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

FAI CUP 2016 2nd Round Draw

Finn Harps v Crumlin United
    Dundalk v Shelbourne
    Bluebell United v Limerick FC
    Bohemians v Galway United
    Firhouse Clover v Wexford Youths
    Athlone Town v Letterkenny Rovers
    Ringmahon Rangers v Glebe North
    Cobh Ramblers v Cherry Orchard
    Derry City v Drogheda United
    St Patrick’s Athletic v Pike Rovers
    Sligo Rovers v Cabinteely
    UCD v Bray Wanderers
    Shamrock Rovers v Midleton
    Janesboro v Sheriff YC
    Waterford United v Longford Town
    Cork City v St Peter’s Athlone

Ties to be played week-ending Sunday, May 22nd

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Galway a very tough tie. At least it's in Dalymount, we've had fúck all success in Terryland recently.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Is it grass or astro?

Astro iirc, finished up there 3 years ago and the memory isn't the may best! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Galway a very tough tie. At least it's in Dalymount, we've had fúck all success in Terryland recently.

Ya we would have preferred someone other than ye away really, a nice soft home non league draw would have done me.

Not good news coming out of Waterford. Need 80 or 90 grand to get them to the end of the season! Have set up a fundraising page for anyone who is interested.

Not good news coming out of Waterford. Need 80 or 90 grand to get them to the end of the season! Have set up a fundraising page for anyone who is interested.

That's really sad. I can't see them doing it to be honest and I'd question the point if it's "just to get them to the end of the season" when they'll be faced with the same problem again.
    I wish them the best of luck. We (sligo rovers) did a fundraiser last year and managed to raise about that.
    Our attendances are about 5 times Waterfords. People just aren't coming out to support them.

That's really sad. I can't see them doing it to be honest and I'd question the point if it's "just to get them to the end of the season" when they'll be faced with the same problem again.
    I wish them the best of luck. We (sligo rovers) did a fundraiser last year and managed to raise about that.
    Our attendances are about 5 times Waterfords. People just aren't coming out to support them.

Well the idea seems to be thst they'll be a fan owned club from next season.

It's easy to point the finger at the FAI and whoever else, but at the end of the day it's the people who don't go to the games are an issue.

Fan owned clubs are the only way to go for the foreseeable future for LOI teams

No idea how people can't learn to live within their means, seriously!

Roddy requested an extra €2,500 a week in the budget to bring in 6 players...

• Advertisement

No idea how people can't learn to live within their means, seriously!

Roddy requested an extra €2,500 a week in the budget to bring in 6 players...

How many clubs have gone bust while he's been in charge? Or soon after he left?

Dublin City, Rovers, Cork, Monaghan and Derry I suppose too! Missing anyone?

Well the idea seems to be thst they'll be a fan owned club from next season.

It's easy to point the finger at the FAI and whoever else, but at the end of the day it's the people who don't go to the games are an issue.

Fan owned clubs are the only way to go for the foreseeable future for LOI teams

What fans?
    They average around 300 fans a game. How many of them are in a position to plough money in? I would say not enough to make a difference.
    Dublin City, Rovers, Cork, Monaghan and Derry I suppose too! Missing anyone?

I wouldnt have Collins near Sligo Rovers because of his many faults but this is the crap that gets peddled out every time a club goes bust.
    The fact is Collins had nothing to do with any of those clubs going bust. If weak boards were giving him whatever he wanted then that's their fault. LOI clubs have proven time and time again they are more than able to spend beyond their means without the help of the pantamoin villain that is Roddy Collins.

Let's run through every club Gavin shels mentioned.

Dublin City - a club with no fan base, a big budget, set up in the belief there was going to be an imminent European Super League and a club named Dublin City would most likely get an invite. You couldn't make it up!

Shams - a basket case of a club that shuffled from stadium to stadium all over Dublin for 30 odd years after selling their stadium to property developers.

Cork - firstly I don't think he even was in charge for a single competitive game at Cork. But I'll run through them anyway. A club taken over by a "Billionaire" with the promise that there was to be a 40,000 seater stadium. He sky rocketed the budget paying the likes of Joe Gamble 250k/year. Inevitably they joined the long list of defunct Cork clubs. I suppose Collins was at fault for Cork Hibs and Cork United too?

Monaghan - he got them promoted after years in the graveyard league. It was their last roll of the dice as they wanted a taste of the big time. After their attendances didn't improve significantly they called it a day because of a E6k shortfall.

Derry - I think he actually managed Derry after they were relegated for doctoring accounts and sending in a different set of accounts to the FAI. They were rightly thrown into the graveyards league after that.

Waterford have been in a terrible state for the last few years. The people of Waterford just aren't coming out to support senior LOI football. Theres also problems with getting the best junior players in Waterford to play for them. Most of them are happy enough playing in the local league. The money on offer wouldn't be much different.
    It's a damming indictment of the national league when the countries 5th biggest city and proud soccer county like Waterford can't field a senior team.

Cork - firstly I don't think he even was in charge for a single competitive game at Cork. But I'll run through them anyway. A club taken over by a "Billionaire" with the promise that there was to be a 40,000 seater stadium. He sky rocketed the budget paying the likes of Joe Gamble 250k/year. Inevitably they joined the long list of defunct Cork clubs. I suppose Collins was at fault for Cork Hibs and Cork United too?

Roddy didn't really have anything to do with the club almost going defunct, except his blind and stupid faith towards Coughlan when every sign was there it was all a sham. Also Gamble was never on anything like 250k a year.

Corholio wrote: »
    Roddy didn't really have anything to do with the club almost going defunct, except his blind and stupid faith towards Coughlan when every sign was there it was all a sham. Also Gamble was never on anything like 250k a year.

http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/good-on-paper-flights-of-fancy-for-irelands-damned-united/826/
    “Even the lesser performers were securing deals worth close to six figures. Joe Gamble was offered a contract in the region of €250,000 a year by St Patrick’s Athletic, who dished out over €3,500 every seven days to Gary Dempsey"

Was he not? He choose Cork over Pats so you would have to assume they were both offering similar money.

Cork were already E1.5million in the hole when Coughlan took over because Arkaga had driven them into the ground.

It's also a bizarre situation where a manager (an employee) is expected to speak out against his employer because "every sign was there it was all a sham".

http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/good-on-paper-flights-of-fancy-for-irelands-damned-united/826/
    “Even the lesser performers were securing deals worth close to six figures. Joe Gamble was offered a contract in the region of €250,000 a year by St Patrick’s Athletic, who dished out over €3,500 every seven days to Gary Dempsey"

Was he not? He choose Cork over Pats so you would have to assume they were both offering similar money.

Cork were already E1.5million in the hole when Coughlan took over because Arkaga had driven them into the ground.

He wasn't. The contract he signed at City was much less than what Pats had offered, he earned a lot of plaudits at the time for doing so. Yes, I was agreeing with that part, Roddy had almost nothing to do with the problems at City. I never said anything about speaking out but he went stupidly the other way by saying the fans should be thanking Coughlan for being in charge and by insulting the players who took action when Coughlan was trying to hoodwink them.

Corholio wrote: »
    He wasn't. The contract he signed at City was much less than what Pats had offered, he earned a lot of plaudits at the time for doing so. Yes, I was agreeing with that part, Roddy had almost nothing to do with the problems at City.

Fair enough. If it wasn't 250k it was still a decent wedge.

In fairness to Roddy, Cork City were a mess long long before he came down. When they started flying the team on chartered planes to Derry and even a few games to Dublin, the ol alarm bells were going.

Waterford havnt a hope when only 300 people turned up last Friday even after a massive outreach, makes an absolute mockery of the licencing system when we have a club in the gutter not even 2 months into the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Or the clubs who seem utterly incapable of sticking to a budget?

As said above, the season is barely underway and a club is already in financial difficulty - there's absolutely no excuse for that. None whatsoever.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Or the clubs who seem utterly incapable of sticking to a budget?

As said above, the season is barely underway and a club is already in financial difficulty - there's absolutely no excuse for that. None whatsoever.

I actually don't think Waterford have overspent. They've been accumulating debts over the last few years and it's all just come to a head now.
    An average attendance of 250-300 brings in what? Averages out at E10/head, take into account some will be season ticket holders and their money will have been spent already. Is match night in the RSC even bringing in 2k? 14 home game multiplied by 2k =28k. That leaves them with around 1k/week + whatever they can fund raise and nothing to meet any bills that might arise in the off season.
    They are bringing in no where near enough to fund 3 teams (senior, u17&u19).
    It's clear their now former chairman has been keeping them above water and now he's had to step down due to health problems they are up **** Creek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I actually don't think Waterford have overspent. They've been accumulating debts over the last few years and it's all just come to a head now.
    It's all just come to a head now? Today? Totally unforeseen circumstances?

I'm all for sympathising with the plight of football in Ireland, particularly when it comes to trying to boost attendances. But I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for clubs who seem incapable of running themselves as a viable business.

CHealy wrote: »

Waterford havnt a hope when only 300 people turned up last Friday even after a massive outreach, makes an absolute mockery of the licencing system when we have a club in the gutter not even 2 months into the season.

Roddy got a 6 match ban for saying the LOI was a shambles. Looks like the LOI licensing committee should get a lot longer than that. I thought that the whole idea was that you had to produce evidence that you had/could produce enough money to last a full season. I know my club Dundalk almost went to the wall not that long ago. I know when the new owners took over in 2012 that they had to produce figures proving they had enough finance to run the club for 2013. I know they were asked what they intended to do about the pitch once it had passed it's use by date. I know that the licensing committee were not in favour of the club being reliant on one sponsor (for obvious reasons). If anybody can recall Dundalk were one of the last clubs to receive a licence that year. I am saddened to hear of Waterfords plight. I can recall going to matchs in the 'old' Oriel (180 degrees different to the Oriel we know now)and Waterford had the best team in the LOI. 3 in a row and 6 in 8 years. I don't know what happened after that but haven't won a league now for over 40 years. Thats a long time for a club that was as big as Waterford were in the 60's and 70's
    looking at the lenghty list of former league clubs what exactly did Roddy say to warrant that 6 week ban?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's all just come to a head now? Today? Totally unforeseen circumstances?

I'm all for sympathising with the plight of football in Ireland, particularly when it comes to trying to boost attendances. But I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for clubs who seem incapable of running themselves as a viable business.

Of course a 90k shortfall hasn't came out of nowhere but there's no getting away from the fact attendances are paltry.
    Athlone V Cabinteely a couple of nights ago had 151 people at it! They would have been lucky to take in E1,000.

I would be critical of Waterford that it took near financial ruin for them to do things they should have been doing all along like working in partnership with local junior leagues and getting fans more involved.

All 20 clubs in the league are looking at Waterford and thinking that was us/could be us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

An average attendance of 250-300 brings in what? Averages out at E10/head, take into account some will be season ticket holders and their money will have been spent already. Is match night in the RSC even bringing in 2k? 14 home game multiplied by 2k =28k. That leaves them with around 1k/week + whatever they can fund raise and nothing to meet any bills that might arise in the off season.
    They are bringing in no where near enough to fund 3 teams (senior, u17&u19).
    It's clear their now former chairman has been keeping them above water and now he's had to step down due to health problems they are up **** Creek.

Finance 101: Accumulating debts = overspending. They should be fielding an amateur side if they can't afford to run the club and pay players too.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Finance 101: Accumulating debts = overspending. They should be fielding an amateur side if they can't afford to run the club and pay players too.

Absolutely. Don't want to rub salt in the wounds or anything but you need to be cutting your cloth.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Absolutely. Don't want to rub salt in the wounds or anything but you need to be cutting your cloth.

What happens if your cloth is designed for a mouses nose?

As far as I'm aware Waterford are paying expenses. They have to field 3 teams (travel & training costs).
    All with what they are getting from 300 people every fortnight.
    I heard Martin Russell saying it's costing Limerick 125k just to run their 2 youth teams. I'm not saying it's costing Waterford the same but it's still a sizeable cost.
    Then there's light, pitch maintenance, coaches, stewarding/police (yes you still have to even when a man and his dog show up).......

What happens if your cloth is designed for a mouses nose?

As far as I'm aware Waterford are paying expenses. They have to field 3 teams (travel & training costs).
    All with what they are getting from 300 people every fortnight.
    I heard Martin Russell saying it's costing Limerick 125k just to run their 2 youth teams. I'm not saying it's costing Waterford the same but it's still a sizeable cost.
    Then there's light, pitch maintenance, coaches, stewarding/police (yes you still have to even when a man and his dog show up).......

I'm aware. Youths have lived in the same circumstances for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great win for Sligo. They will take alot of points of the top 4. They are in a false position.

I'm aware. Youths have lived in the same circumstances for quite some time.
    Ya, it's not like they nearly lost Ferrycarrig Park or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great win for Sligo. They will take alot of points of the top 4. They are in a false position.

Nobody is in a false position. Teams are where they are due to the number of points they have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement