Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

3rd round draw for champions league today. 

Dundalks possible opponents if they make it through

Linfield (NIR) / Celtic (SCO)
    Žilina (SVK) / København (DEN)
    BATE Borisov (BLR) / Alashkert (ARM) 
    IFK Mariehamn (FIN) / Legia Warszawa (POL)
    Zrinjski (BIH) / Maribor (SVN)

Would have to think the winner of the Bate tie would be their best chance after last year. 1-1 in that after first leg too

Nothing easy there.

Shams in with the best chance if they can get around the Czech side. Being seeded makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Celtic or Linfield. Jesus celtic would be some **** show

2nd leg would be in Dublin the week the FAI are doing Man Utd v Sampdoria. Be some joke if Dundalk got through and the match couldn't be played at the Aviva because of that.

At the same time might be a blessing. Be embarrassing to see 5000 Dundalk fans v 45 000 celtic fans at a home game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Celtic or Linfield. Jesus celtic would be some **** show

But plenty of €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

But plenty of €€€

True, but it would be embarrassing to see so many Irish people cheering on a British team to beat an Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Not if its August 2nd. Our national stadium will be unavailable to the league champions due to a friendly between 2 teams from other leagues. 

Farcical stuff once again from the FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Great draw and incentive now for Dundalk,

It's more or less a win win draw for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Typical that I've waited years for a draw like this and then it happens once Celtic have been turned into a machine under Brendan Rodgers.

Not if its August 2nd. Our national stadium will be unavailable to the league champions due to a friendly between 2 teams from other leagues. 

Farcical stuff once again from the FAI

In all fairness Celtic were the only possible draw in this round where having it in the Aviva would be financially viable.

Could not have predicted it when the United match was proposed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Dundalk go into the 2nd leg with any chance of getting through they'd be better off avoiding the Aviva anyway.

Huge ask, obviously.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Celtic would be good for the big bucks and the attention. I imagine Dundalk would put on a better showing than Rovers did. :pac:

Linfield would be good as obviously it's a better chance for them, though they'd be favourites in that tie which might count against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nothing draws for CCFC and Shamrock should either progress. Bealrus or Macedoina for CCFC, Kazakhstan or Albania for Shams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Serious bread for Dundalk if they can get through.

Clear 50,000 seats at Lansdowne at an average of €25 is €1.25M plus nice tv deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is that the CL play off round?

Zebra3 wrote: »

Clear 50,000 seats at Lansdowne at an average of €25 is €1.25M plus nice tv deals.

People are saying the Aviva is unavailable as the FAI are hosting one of their sh*te friendlies?
    gimmick wrote: »

Only the 3rd QR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

gimmick wrote:

Nope. The third and final qualifying round. The same round where they beat Bate last year.

How much did they make on the Legia game last year? I heard the FAI passed on all the "costs" of hosting the match. Do it in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Linfield would be a handy spin for Dundalk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The Bray squad are back on Donedeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's bad that the FAI didn't even send someone to talk with the players. I've no doubt that if someone did turn up they still wouldn't have had the proof of where the investment came from and that it was secure but at least sending someone would show some sign of respect. They couldn't even give that.

There's no way I believe the FAI when they said they tried to talk with the Senior Women's Team during their dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

plus serious 3rd round money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's bad that the FAI didn't even send someone to talk with the players. I've no doubt that if someone did turn up they still wouldn't have had the proof of where the investment came from and that it was secure but at least sending someone would show some sign of respect. They couldn't even give that.

There's no way I believe the FAI when they said they tried to talk with the Senior Women's Team during their dispute.

It's a disgrace this was allowed to happen, but with the likes of Delaney in charge of the FAI what do you expect.

That being said I don't think the players will struggle to find teams. Lot of good players there.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It's a disgrace this was allowed to happen, but with the likes of Delaney in charge of the FAI what do you expect.

That being said I don't think the players will struggle to find teams. Lot of good players there.

Can the players leave though, have Bray got the final say day and refuse to accept any bids as long as wages are paid. I'd assume wages are being paid otherwise the game on Sunday would be called off by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

http://pfai.ie/news/statement-bray-wanderers-players-0

The FAI not coming accross great in that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can the players leave though, have Bray got the final say day and refuse to accept any bids as long as wages are paid. I'd assume wages are being paid otherwise the game on Sunday would be called off by now.

Honestly I don't know.

Kinda seemed to me they bought the club hoping to cash in on the Carlisle but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The players are right to do it. It is their job and they are not getting any guarantees.

35k comes in for Dylan Connolly. The next day the club says there's no money. A few days later, a vague statement suggests that all is well again comes out and now it seems that was a load of nonsense. I don't blame the players whatsoever when they are getting messed about. No surprise that the FAI are staying away, it'll be one less club for them to worry about.

I've heard that about selling the Carlisle dozens of times since the old owners sold up but it was never going to happen.

It's not the club's to sell, it belongs to Wicklow CC or Bray UDC, can't remember which one. The club are about ten years into a 99-year lease on it. Even if the ground was sold, the money wouldn't go to the club. Anyone with half brain (not referring to posters here, it's just that all the opponents to these owners were harping on about it and it's an argument I'm blue in the face from having to dispel with certain fans who simply didn't take to the new owners) would understand that.

Apparently, they tried to find out if they could sell it but were told it wasn't possible, as most people would have been aware of. If true, then that's their own fault for not understanding how leases work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

How much did they make on the Legia game last year? I heard the FAI passed on all the "costs" of hosting the match. Do it in Tallaght.

If anyone can remember it was piss*ng down that night, I'd say knocked 5,000 off the gate but still in the region of 33,000 at the match. From what I heard the FAI did alright out of the match, including very big security costs and Dundalk had to supply brand new electronic scoreboard around the pitch as the one already there didn't conform to champions league standards (something like 90 cms against 70 cms)

Dundalk supporters club who produce the program were not allowed to sell it within the stadium that night either, this had nothing to do with UEFA some burocrat in Dublin made that call.

I was told that altogether the ground and security cost well north of €100k and Dundalk cleared €200k eventually. I suppose the official figures are available somewhere.

Tallaght was simpler €20,000 to SDCC per match and a new set of dugouts to conform to Europa league standards. What Tallaght lacked was a proper hospitality suite and they had to provide a temporary one, again to satisfy UEFA.

It might sound like UEFA are very demanding but the money they bring to the table is serious.

* funniest thing on the night was hearing the stadium being called the 'Dublin' stadium stadium as UEFA wouldn't allow it be called Aviva as they pay no sponsorship money to the Champions League. The name was covered up as well. Another part of the deal was RTE had to supply 14 cameras and if they didn't they were in breach of Eufa contract they sign when committing to viewing rights. It was terrific though to see the other goals scored elsewhere up on the big screens and even though both goals were Legias knowing that everyone at the other grounds were seeing them on their big screens. Champions league at that level is something else.

Mars Bar wrote: »

There's quite simply no way I'd believe the FAI about anything.

Remember Delaney had FAI lawyers on to the likes of the Guardian threatening them with legal action over him allegedly singing IRA songs in a pub. Delaney claiming it wasn't him.

Yet, it actually was Delaney.

Never trust a liar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It looks like the same Linfield that struggled to get past a San Marinese side has shown up again tonight.

2-0 down after approximately 20 minutes. Ah well!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Norn Iron teams are an embarrassment in Europe.

PhilipsR wrote: »

I can remember Finn Harps being beaten 12 - 0 by Derby

And Dundalk getting beaten 10 - 0 at Anfield.

For balance I also remember Dundalk holding

Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs and Porto to single goal victories all away from home

And in the latter 3 matches Dundalk drew the home match, so the aggregate defeat was by a single goal.

But it's true Norn Iron football hasn't progressed at all in the past 20 years.

• Advertisement

PhilipsR wrote: »

The problem with the Irish League teams in Europe is they still suffer with Minnowism leading up to the fixtures,

Players tend to miss games due to holidays but when a manager misses a Key Champions league qualifier cos of a family holiday then you know you need to do something.

Never understood why they never moved to a summer league calendar like League of Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/irish-manager-to-miss-his-teams-crucial-champions-league-clash-because-he-is-on-holidays-31342233.html

Being beaten to signings by first division sides now..

Badly need reinforcements or we are fecked.

https://twitter.com/WaterfordFCie/status/885918894468325376

Watching Liverpool v Wigan and seeing Paul Cook & Jürgen Klopp together laughing on the sideline is class :pac:

Loser of tomorrows game with Drogheda is as good as gone. A draw and we're both going down.

Bohs could get pulled back in depending on results in the next week or two. Would have thought they were safe before tonight.

Drogs got 6 points from first 2 matches, which means they got 11 from the next 19 matches

Odds are they will go down unless they seriously reverse that trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Disappointed Derry couldn't hold on after going a goal up away to St Pats.
    Would have put us in 3rd, but apparently shocking defending again our issue.

major bill wrote: »
    The problem with the Irish League teams in Europe is they still suffer with Minnowism leading up to the fixtures,

Players tend to miss games due to holidays but when a manager misses a Key Champions league qualifier cos of a family holiday then you know you need to do something.

Never understood why they never moved to a summer league calendar like League of Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/irish-manager-to-miss-his-teams-crucial-champions-league-clash-because-he-is-on-holidays-31342233.html

I think part of the reason is their "British" mentality. An utter determination to be seen to be "just like the mainland".

I think part of the reason is their "British" mentality. An utter determination to be seen to be "just like the mainland".

Might be something in that, they play most if not all their matches on Saturday, when all the English and Scottish matches are on.

Their grounds(bigger clubs) though are much better then LOI grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Looks like Galway are the next club to have a contingent of foreign players arriving.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/galway-united-in-talks-with-overseas-investor-1.3155214

I wish Galway all the best, and I know they won't make the same mistakes Athlone did. But I would be concerned that an investor saw the club only as a means to make money.

Shades of Waterford about this line from the above

“He’s looking for a shortcut to Europe and to blood players,” said club secretary

I think Lee Power who bought Waterford expressed the same aim (read in an article that he said It would be easier for Waterford to get into Europe than Swindon)

joeysoap wrote: »
    I wish Galway all the best, and I know they won't make the same mistakes Athlone did. But I would be concerned that an investor saw the club only as a means to make money.

Shades of Waterford about this line from the above

“He’s looking for a shortcut to Europe and to blood players,” said club secretary

I think Lee Power who bought Waterford expressed the same aim (read in an article that he said It would be easier for Waterford to get into Europe than Swindon)

I'd say in this instance, depends on where the investor is from but the short cut to Europe could mean moving players here from outside of Europe so clubs from Europe and especially England would notice them better than say if they played in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say in this instance, depends on where the investor is from but the short cut to Europe could mean moving players here from outside of Europe so clubs from Europe and especially England would notice them better than say if they played in Asia.

Sounds like he wants to bring in players from outside Europe and put them in the shop window for English clubs. A trip to China might be too much for a league 1 club but not a trip to Galway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Given the low fees players here command I don't see how it'll work.

A player has to be consistently among the best in the league for a year or two to attract interest and then you might get 50-100k for him. But in the meantime you're bankrolling a club that doesn't really have any other means of turning over money.

Sounds like he wants to bring in players from outside Europe and put them in the shop window for English clubs. A trip to China might be too much for a league 1 club but not a trip to Galway.

I'm just surprised it's Galway they are looking at, I'd have thought they'd look at a Dublin based team if this is their plan.
    Given the low fees players here command I don't see how it'll work.

A player has to be consistently among the best in the league for a year or two to attract interest and then you might get 50-100k for him. But in the meantime you're bankrolling a club that doesn't really have any other means of turning over money.

Depends how they are gonna operate. I can't see whoever it is getting full control of the club or even a majority share of the club. Havent Galway got a very diverse board with members of the Supports Trust on their board of directors. Could be that Galway operate as they normally do and for a small fee this mystery investor provides players with the sole purpose of trying to get them to England or bigger leagues around Europe. They might not get much in the transfer fees but you can be sure the players they'll provide will all have the same agent or company representing them and that's where they'll make their money.

What happens when the players are rubbish? You'll have outside investors with a vested interest in certain players playing every week. Sounds like a nightmare for the manager.

It all works in theory. But when they realise theyve underestimated the quality of the league and their players are sat on Galways bench it'll all fall apart quickly.

What happens when the players are rubbish? You'll have outside investors with a vested interest in certain players playing every week. Sounds like a nightmare for the manager.

That's why if Galway are smart they'll tell whoever it is on their bike. No good can come from foreign investors imo, whether that be full ownership or a small share of the club. They as you said have their own interests and when things aren't going as planned will pull the plug or you'll get another Athlone.

It all works in theory. But when they realise theyve underestimated the quality of the league and their players are sat on Galways bench it'll all fall apart quickly.

That's why the manager in a scenario like that is usually some gimpy patsy who does as he's told.

That's why the manager in a scenario like that is usually some gimpy patsy who does as he's told.
    Surely it'd be awfully hard to find someone like that in this country..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Are there any radio stations doing live coverage of the Sligo - Drogs match tonight?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

red sean wrote: »
    Looks like Galway are the next club to have a contingent of foreign players arriving.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/galway-united-in-talks-with-overseas-investor-1.3155214

LOI: a league renowned for successful investors and especially foreign investors. Never failed...

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Are there any radio stations doing live coverage of the Sligo - Drogs match tonight?

Ocean will have a few updates but they have not covered a full match in a long time.

Probably be a bet365 stream around if they are showing it.

The under 2.5 odds seem way too good for our game tonight. Expecting a nervy game both sides are afraid to lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement