Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Super win for us last night. Really badly needed. Everyone played well especially Lee Desmond and Conan Byrne. O'Malley again made some top class saves. Feely's pass for our second goal is excellent.

Excellent match overall last night. Extremely exciting and quite high quality also. Derry are a decent side with some talented young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Good result for everyone at the bottom except the two sides playing. We probably should have won though. The Drogs' keeper made a few good saves from our new striker Igiehon who was decent. It's nice to once again have a big striker who can actually compete in the air.

Disappointing overall. You really need to beat sides like Drogheda at home when you're in our position. I'd have happily sacrificed my €25 unders bet for a winner but the Drogs keeper had a solid match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Terrible result tonight. Should be beating Drogheda at home if we want to stay up. Played well though, hit the bar, had one disallowed..

Goal of the season from Sean Russell and a tidy one for us from McCabe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ we beat Waterford to get back into the title race only to go the next 3 games without so much as a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Christ we beat Waterford to get back into the title race only to go the next 3 games without so much as a goal.

Just looking at the first division table there, Is there only 1 team going up?

• Advertisement

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Just looking at the first division table there, Is there only 1 team going up?
    Yeah there's no playoffs this year. Only the top team goes up while 3 go down from the Premier Division. 10 team first division next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Yeah there's no playoffs this year. Only the top team goes up while 3 go down from the Premier Division. 10 team first division next year.

What a ****ing joke, is there not some teams from a lower division they could bring up instead of dragging teams from the premier down? (I know there's no division 2 but some national amateur league or some sort)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    What a ****ing joke, is there not some teams from a lower division they could bring up instead of dragging teams from the premier down? (I know there's no division 2 but some national amateur league or some sort)

The simple answer to that is no.

Clubs aren't interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The simple answer to that is no.

Clubs aren't interested.

I may be wrong but is there a requirement from UEFA that a countries top national league have at least 2 divisions? Because for me in my opinion if this is not the case I don't see the point in the first division at all unless we have to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eire4 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but is there a requirement from UEFA that a countries top national league have at least 2 divisions? Because for me in my opinion if this is not the case I don't see the point in the first division at all unless we have to have it.

If there is no threat of relegation 66% of the teams have zero to play for for most of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep, you need to be able to get relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It is indeed a requirement, but also - it gives clubs like ourselves something to play for. We would absolutely not sustain any interest in one large division, with basically no prospect of league success, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

As Darkglasses posts you can't play in Europe if you don't have a promotion/relegation set up. The league goes in cycles, Dundalk and City won't be there forever and it is a decent incentive. League winners get €110,000. But everybody knows that your real reward is in Europe, but the teams from 4th onwards don't have that to look forward to so better prizemoney all round is called for.

What's annoying though is that we've been here before and it didn't work then. The 1st division definitely requires 10 teams and if the prize money were improved and affiliation fees were not so high you might get a few clubs interested. Tralee/Westport/Mullingar/Monaghan have good setups. But to enter the league as currently run would be close to insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joeysoap wrote: »
    No European incentive to play for either. Can't play in Europe if you don't have a promotion/relegation set up.

Not so sure of that. I think Gibraltar has just one division but Euro spots. I think there's more UEFA money for associations that have at least a second tier and again more money for having a women's league.

Maybe someone more in the loop can confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

Any news on when draw for FAI cup 1st round is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

prodsc wrote: »
    Any news on when draw for FAI cup 1st round is?

21st July to coincide with the FAI's Festival of Football visiting Kilkenny this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Oat23 wrote: »

Dundalk dreaming of having a team full of Sligo rovers players? I'm afraid John Caulfield got there before Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That Sligo link: "Pinch me, Daire, pinch me!":D

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Dundalk dreaming of having a team full of Sligo rovers players? I'm afraid John Caulfield got there before Stephen Kenny.

Even Seani Maguire was there! Comes off the bench near the end and misses a good chance to make it 3-1 IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Dundalk 5/1 and 7/1 in some bookies which is prob fair odds, some will say its a bit generous but lets not kid ourselves here, it's gonna take a quality performance to get into the next round. That said I really hope they do it and if they do I feel it would be a bigger achievement than the Bate result last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dennis O' Connor has resigned as Bray Chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Good noise in the Rosenborg vs Dundalk match. It's easier to understand the Norwegian supporters than it is the Dundalk fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kksaints wrote: »
    Dennis O' Connor has resigned as Bray Chairman.

I'd say he was spouting crap about securing the future, like a rat leaving a sinking ship.

On the flipside, delighted he's gone!

Big boy Garts with the away goal :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great start, away goal scored already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Wow what a great start for Dundalk

Great chance there from McMillan. Another goal for the Town and these boys could be in trouble.

• Advertisement

Great save, almost 2. Dundalk causing big problems from corners.

Christ Rosenborg are a shambles defending corners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So close to a 2nd there! Great start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Some save, great start for the lillywihties!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

On my stream it sounds like the mic is right beside the irish fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Come on dundalk great start! Rte 2 doing a great job for once and I'm usually their biggest critic

• Advertisement

Rogers nearly costing Dundalk another goal. You feel another goal will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

At least that's the away goal sorted.

I remember some other gimpy twipster making a bet like this when we played Rosenborg in Norway. C'mon Dundalk.

https://twitter.com/GodzillaTips247/status/887713968848072705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

^^
    More Money than sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to hear the home fans getting a little bit annoyed.

Keep it tight till ht

• Advertisement

Under a bit more pressure. Need to see it out to half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

****e

Criminal defending yet again.

Could see that coming, they took control the last few minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That little flick made all the difference.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Could see that coming, they took control the last few minutes.

Can't be letting the ball travel that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Shameful effort by Rogers. He basically got out of the way of the attacker.

If anything Dundalk were better in last week's match. Still all to play for. Come on the town!

You would imagine 1 more Dundalk goal will be enough. Can't see Dundalk conceding 3.

Do away goals count double at 90 minutes or after extra time?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement