Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Was just thinking Bray had gone awful quiet!

Campion and Sadlier were both great for us. Even under Dave Robertson. We'll take them back when Caulfield is back to raid us in the off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I would give 100% if I played for City - but I'm not good enough :D

I've said it before, Campion just isn't good enough. Every time he comes on, he somehow manages to miss at least one easy chance. Getting himself into good positions is only part of the job - he has to score too.
    This. He has been consistent this season - a shame it has been to miss easy opportunities.

He misses too many sitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Campion and Sadlier were both great for us. Even under Dave Robertson. We'll take them back when Caulfield is back to raid us in the off season.

I think Sadlier will come good after he settles in. I always liked the look of him, and was delighted when he came to City.

Campion has been here all season though, and still looks poor, although he does only generally get 20 minutes per game. Maybe, just maybe, if he gets more game time he will improve, but I'm not holding my breath. He needs to start scoring right now, and then hopefully his confidence will get a boost and maybe I'll start to see the great player you say he was with you.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs have signed Warren O'Hora, Fuad Sule and Oscar Brennan up for next year.

Keeping Sule is a real coup.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Bohs have signed Warren O'Hora, Fuad Sule and Oscar Brennan up for next year.

Keeping Sule is a real coup.

Agree 100% with that. Also O'Hora has a great future ahead of him. Shame he's missing tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Harps 5/4 tonight at home against Galway Utd who have 8 players potentially out due to a vomiting bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

irish_goat wrote: »
    Harps 5/4 tonight at home against Galway Utd who have 8 players potentially out due to a vomiting bug.

Bohs 6/5 to beat Bray, Drogs 12/1 to beat Cork (unlikely I know!) and with Harps above makes a 65/1 treble

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Bohs 6/5 to beat Bray, Drogs 12/1 to beat Cork (unlikely I know!) and with Harps above makes a 65/1 treble

Drogheda will win and one of the others let you down, always the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Actually like the bohs/harps double. Wont back it cause ill be shouting for a united result myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Guffy wrote: »
    Actually like the bohs/harps double. Wont back it cause ill be shouting for a united result myself.

I will! Definitely worth a fiver anyway!

The Harps/Bohs double obviously that is. I wouldn't dream of betting against my beloved. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irish_goat wrote: »

Yeah but it's harps and it's a massive home game, that doesn't usually end with a win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I seem to have jinxed Harps. I do apologise!! :pac: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah but it's harps and it's a massive home game, that doesn't usually end with a win.

Fairly predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

We were absolutely awful tonight. Galway fully deserved their 3pts. Horgan with a very strange line up and the team looked as confused as we were by it. McCourt basically took his 2 cards to stop attacks, second one could possibly have been a straight red but was the other end of the pitch so not sure if he would have been through.

Usual harps, hopes up and now back deep in the relegation mix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Extratime have Michael Duffy as MOM. He had a terrific match but I must have been at a different match, McEleney was brilliant again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Better game than the first Derry game but similar result. Rovers had some great chances, but mostly scuffed them wide, hit the post or deflection looped over the keeper and wide and the rebounds fell to Derry players to clear.

Derry have come to Tallaght to draw twice and have won twice.

Was it really necessary for the Derry players to go nuts in front of the Rovers fans for the second goal? I mean there was a great reception for the former Derry captain in the fifth minute! not really much sectarian crap till after the second goal either, just seemed odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was it really necessary for the Derry players to go nuts in front of the Rovers fans for the second goal?

Second week in a row the Rovers fans have been wound up after conceding. Long may it continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Was it really necessary for the Derry players to go nuts in front of the Rovers fans for the second goal? I mean there was a great reception for the former Derry captain in the fifth minute! not really much sectarian crap till after the second goal either, just seemed odd

Where both sets of fans singing Free State Bastards (just like Rovers in Dundalk 2015)

You are right though, them Derry players are a joke! Rovers players have never celebrated in front of other teams fans FFS

He scored the goal from that side of the pitch and celebrated that side, Get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Another Patrick McEleney masterclass last night. Such a joy to watch. Looks like a Dundalk player will be picking up the player of the year award for the third year running. (And unfortunately losing that player for the third year running also.)

Took us a while to get going last night. Shields kept giving the ball away for the first half hour but once we got that first goal it was all too easy. In fairness to Shields he was excellent in the second half. I'm guessing he was told to keep it simple by Kenny at half time. Good to see the team haven't downed tools. Still as hungry as ever and still champions.

• Advertisement

Where both sets of fans singing Free State Bastards (just like Rovers in Dundalk 2015)

Thankfully the idiots who were at that game couldn't be heard last night

You have to see the funny side.In a league cup final at Oriel many years ago (1989 or 1990 - Dundalk played Derry in finals two years in succession, I think it was the first one). As it was a final there was a band playing and they played the national anthem just before the kick off. There was no segregation in those days and I was at the match where the shed is now (the old shed)and was surrounded by Derry supporters. The Derry supporters sang the national anthem at the top of their voices. Just as the national anthem ended and the ref blew the whistle, a Derry supporter beside me (who sang the anthem - enthusiastically) shouted ; come on Derry - don't let these Free State bastards beat you!

Happily he plea was in vain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Seanie Starts for PNE in todays championship opener

Horgan on bench, no sign of boyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Omackeral wrote: »
    Second week in a row the Rovers fans have been wound up after conceding. Long may it continue.

You'd never see the angels that are the Rovers players carrying on like that in front of the opposition fans.

PcM5y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Very random but just came across this proposed merger of Dundalk and Drogheda United from way back in 2002. Can ya imagine!?
    Could a merger between Dundalk and Drogheda United assure the long-term survival of senior soccer in County Louth?

In his column in The Argus, Gerry McDermott addresses the issue, pointing out that while Dundalk are just about keeping their heads above water, the situation in Drogheda is “dire”.

The Drogs, he says, only have themselves to blame and accuses them of recklessness in signing four players on transfer deadline day.

“Buoyed by their success in winning last year’s First Division title, and taking 13 points from their first eight games this season, Drogheda appear to have got carried away with themselves,” claims McDermott.

He is critical of the decision to implement a full-time set-up mid-season, which sent the wage bill soaring, even though revenue projections stayed the same.

Training takes place in Dublin with all the imports based in the capital thus widening the gap between the fans and players, resulting in a fall-off in attendances in recent weeks.

Concluding with a reference to the forthcoming Uefa Licensing System due to be implemented in 2004, he points out that “the demand on clubs to get their houses in order will be absolute.”

“The idea is to prevent clubs like Drogheda getting into financial problems midway through the season and it can’t come quickly enough,” he concludes.

http://foot.ie/threads/5049-Drogheda-amp-Dundalk-merger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great goal.

Very tight from 7th onwards. IMO Bohs are safe and Bray probably have enough. With the exception of the Drogs it's any 2 from 5.

Limerick have 6 home matches out of 9, including the next 3,if they can translate that into results it will make it tight for the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

joeysoap wrote: »
    Great goal.

Very tight from 7th onwards. IMO Bohs are safe and Bray probably have enough. With the exception of the Drogs it's any 2 from 5.

Limerick have 6 home matches out of 9, including the next 3,if they can translate that into results it will make it tight for the others.

Ah we are terrible Limerick will be dragged into the relegation fight

but you couldn't have a better run in if you can make home advantage count.

Harps, Galway and Drogheda at home in the run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Has the managerial change had any positive effect at all? Seems like Limerick were going along just fine then change for the sake of change.

I bet Ogbene, who some of you will be shocked to hear moved to Limerick from Cork City in January, thanks the day he took whatever advice he was given about that move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

gimmick wrote: »
    Has the managerial change had any positive effect at all? Seems like Limerick were going along just fine then change for the sake of change.

I bet Ogbene, who some of you will be shocked to hear moved to Limerick from Cork City in January, thanks the day he took whatever advice he was given about that move.

I wouldn't say there's been any positive effect, they waited too long imo from sacking Russell to appointing McDonald. Boland was only meant to be interim but ended up in charge for 9 games and was even offered the job along with Kevin Nuggent before the club even had any contact with McDonald, if you believe rumours McDonald was interviewed at the last minute and given the job after fans reacted negatively to rumours Nuggent was getting the job.

McDonald's record in his first six games is slightly better than Russells (3W,1D,2L compared to 2W,1D,3L) but somewhere between the win away to Drogheda and the lose to Galway things must have happened off the field cause you had three first team players transfer listed and released while morale seems to be at rock bottom.

While the club hasn't kicked on after Russell sacking him was the right choice imo. No other club would have offered him a new contract after that 2015 season but Limerick did and still stuck by him after getting promotion and straight away you see him struggling to sign players again and mostly signing players he's worked with that other clubs didn't want. You just gotta look at the Finn Harps and Cork games at home in March to see it was gonna be 2015 all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A deserved win for Dundalk against us today in the League cup semi. But the scoreline didnt reflect the game. Two shocking decisions led to two goals, a pen for a ball clearly won and a blatant offside (had to be minimum 3 yards off) for the third. Matthews was the ref but his lino made both decisions, appalling stuff.

Shamrock Rovers V Cork City game looking like it's going to go to penos. Link here for anybody interested.
    https://www.facebook.com/sseairtricityleague/videos/10155512948093286/

EDIT scratch that. Last minute goal for Rovers.

Rovers win and set up a final with Dundalk. Cork continue to look like an average side since Maguire and O'Connor set sail for foreign lands.

Is Ogbene Limericks or on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

O'Malley has signed for Peterborough. Very good keeper hope he continues to improve. We've signed a Polish keeper Luksaz Skowron as either a direct replacement or cover for Barry Murphy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All limericks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cork, it's all about the bass...
    no treble
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

not a hugely different game to Friday or the first game in Tallaght with Cork this time without Maguire

kksaints wrote: »
    O'Malley has signed for Peterborough. Very good keeper hope he continues to improve. We've signed a Polish keeper Luksaz Skowron as either a direct replacement or cover for Barry Murphy.

A cracking keeper, hope he does well over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Signed a two year contract supposedly, he'll be gone in the off season. Doubt he'll fancy playing in the first division.

A deserved win for Dundalk against us today in the League cup semi. But the scoreline didnt reflect the game. Two shocking decisions led to two goals, a pen for a ball clearly won and a blatant offside (had to be minimum 3 yards off) for the third. Matthews was the ref but his lino made both decisions, appalling stuff.

It's on YouTube now, penalty is shocking alright. Your man got the ball away before tangling with Mountney.

Third goal, Gannon is very fast and he was looking across the line so I'd guess he was onside but it's hard to tell from the angle.

:) from the Extratime report

Dundalk saw out proceedings with a 3-0 win as they booked their place in the EA Sports Cup Semi Final.

It's on YouTube now, penalty is shocking alright. Your man got the ball away before tangling with Mountney.

Third goal, Gannon is very fast and he was looking across the line so I'd guess he was onside but it's hard to tell from the angle.

:) from the Extratime report

Dundalk saw out proceedings with a 3-0 win as they booked their place in the EA Sports Cup Semi Final.

Ya the penalty looks even more embarrassing for the officials on film than it was live. Gannon was definitely off, we were in line from the main stand and it was night and day. Takes away nothing from ye as ye would have won either way but it just once again highlights the appalling standards of official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Pighead wrote: »
    Rovers win and set up a final with Dundalk. Cork continue to look like an average side since Maguire and O'Connor set sail for foreign lands.

We were well on top before Bennett got sent off, I dont know did he hit the Shamrock player or did he just give him a reason to fall to the ground but whatever it was it was unbelievably stupid because Doyle had the red card in his hand straight away, you'd think a player of Bennetts age and experience would know better. Obviously we are struggling up front but a player like Maguire cant be replaced, we will have to find a new way of playing. All in all Shamrock deserved the win so no complaints here, just disappointing to see the unbeaten run and potential treble slide away in a week. Thank fcuk for that 17 point lead is all I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

kksaints wrote: »

Big blow for Patrick's. Hoped he would have been able to stay till the end of season.
    Any word on transfer fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Saw the incident earlier. Looks as if Benno lost the head for some reason and was correctly sent off. Like everyone else I am surprised with him of all players.

City defended manfully and gave our defense a great game of attack versus defense. Shams were toothless and got lucky at the end.

But my god, there is some void up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You can see it here:

https://twitter.com/corkcityfcnews/status/894914079583866880

Bennett brings his leg towards Webster, inexcusable really, so stupid from an experienced player and captain on the night. Ruined the game as a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Red all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There talk of Buckley leaving Pats at the end of the year? Rumour on our forum Buckley is gonna step down and Croly is lined up to replace him with Ian Morris as his #2. Could all be ****e though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement