Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Ya, it's not like they nearly lost Ferrycarrig Park or anything.

That had nothing to do with the football club. WYFC have always been tenants at Ferrycarrig Park. The owner gave it as collateral on his business loans and it was called in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

joeysoap wrote: »
    I can recall going to matchs in the 'old' Oriel (180 degrees different to the Oriel we know now)]

Do you mean the pitch used to be at right angles to the way it is now with the current entrance behind a goal (90 degrees)? Never knew this, any photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That had nothing to do with the football club. WYFC have always been tenants at Ferrycarrig Park. The owner gave it as collateral on his business loans and it was called in

Its an example of how fragile LOI clubs positions are.
    Either the bills start coming in with no way to pay for them or something like what happened Youths happens.
    In fairness Wallace built/funded/owned it. He was entitled to give it as collateral.
    It's also out in the middle of nowhere which hampers Youths ability to get decent attendances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Do you mean the pitch used to be at right angles to the way it is now with the current entrance behind a goal (90 degrees)? Never knew this, any photos?

Yep, pitch used to 'slope' away from the entrance towards the Ardee Road. In 1964/5 Oriel was closed for the last couple of home matches (played at the Marist Grounds) and reopened it at at start of the 1965/66 season with a friendly against Nottingham Forest. As the season got underway they started on what is now the main stand and it was finished by March or April. And they won the league while all this was taking place. As you probably know they want to redevelop Oriel now but the lessee won't sign over the lease to the club, even though they are paying the rent to the owner( who wants the lessee out and the club in). If it's not resolved in court soon they will probably move to a greenfield site (fans split on this, some would be happy to move)

http://www.orielweb.com/dundalktalk/viewtopic.php?t=9579.

There is one great photo from 1966 of spectators hanging out of the 'new' stand v shamrock rovers, I'll see if I can find it on line

Either the bills start coming in with no way to pay for them or something like what happened Youths happens.

And what exactly has 'happened' to WYFC???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's also out in the middle of nowhere which hampers Youths ability to get decent attendances.

I thought this was a large factor in the demise of Kilkenny City. Clubs like Sligo are in the centre of the town, so you can have a pint, go to the match and have a pint after the match (I know football doesn't revolve around pints). Nowlan park is in the centre of Kilkenny and even through lean times, we still get decent crowds. Going to the suburbs, like Turner's Cross or Market's Field is probably fine but a car journey away keeps kids out of the grounds and a certain amount of adults also. Personally I think kids are the most important people you can aim to get inside your stadium.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Easier said than done to find a suitable site for a football ground the size of Ferrycarrig within walking distance of Wexford's Main street. There was enough trouble getting planning permission where it is. And how it could have been economically viable to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Easier said than done to find a suitable site for a football ground the size of Ferrycarrig within walking distance of Wexford's Main street. There was enough trouble getting planning permission where it is. And how it could have been economically viable to do so.

I'm not saying it would, I am saying that putting stadiums far away from town isn't going to attract it's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭opti76

how was it economically viable to put it where it is.. its a nightmare to get to.

opti76 wrote: »
    how was it economically viable to put it where it is.. its a nightmare to get to.

Obviously a large parcel of land like Ferrycarrig Park was easier to source and was cheaper than in an urban area. The original plan was for the entrace to be directly off the N11, but the NRA refused planning permission. That would have been ideal

• Advertisement

And what exactly has 'happened' to WYFC???

They needed the Wexford league/FAI to stump up a couple of 100 grand to buy their ground or they'd have been homeless with the likelihood being they'd have folded.

I thought this was a large factor in the demise of Kilkenny City. Clubs like Sligo are in the centre of the town, so you can have a pint, go to the match and have a pint after the match (I know football doesn't revolve around pints). Nowlan park is in the centre of Kilkenny and even through lean times, we still get decent crowds. Going to the suburbs, like Turner's Cross or Market's Field is probably fine but a car journey away keeps kids out of the grounds and a certain amount of adults also. Personally I think kids are the most important people you can aim to get inside your stadium.

+1 to this.
    Kilkenny had a lot of problems in they were parachuting players in from Dublin and there was a disconnect with local leagues.
    Going out into the middle of nowhere to watch second tier League of Ireland football played by lads that don't live in or engage with the local area is a very hard sell.

They needed the Wexford league/FAI to stump up a couple of 100 grand to buy their ground or they'd have been homeless with the likelihood being they'd have folded.

Wexford Youths FC never had a ground to sell. What they do have is a watertight lease which would allow them to play football there, no matter who owned the property. The receiver for the previous owner of Ferrycarrig did a deal with the Wexford District League and the FAI, which was of no concern to Wexford Youths FC

opti76 wrote: »

By virtue of the fact that club is still running, it is economically viable. If you know where a decent LOI-quality ground is available within walking distance of Wexford's main street, I'm all ears. If you think we could share with North End or some other junior club, you've another thing coming.

Wexford Youths FC never had a ground to sell. What they do have is a watertight lease which would allow them to play football there, no matter who owned the property. The receiver for the previous owner of Ferrycarrig did a deal with the Wexford District League and the FAI, which was of no concern to Wexford Youths FC

If you believe that, I've some swamp land to talk to you about.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-confirms-deal-to-keep-ferrycarrig-park-in-football

"An agreement was made to purchase the grounds from the Receiver, with the aim of keeping the facility within the football community."

"This transaction was very important to ensure Wexford football continues to have a home and a focal point for the game in the South East"

"It was a matter of priority for the FAI to ensure that the facility was not lost to football and I am very pleased that the steps we have taken will ensure that our game can continue to flourish in Wexford.

"Wexford Youths FC chairman Mick Wallace added: "It's certainly a good day for football in Ireland, now that the Wexford Youths Football Complex is assured of staying in football."

"When people think about this it would have been a disaster for the ground to slip away from football. We've had lots of finals there in recent years"

By virtue of the fact that club is still running, it is economically viable. If you know where a decent LOI-quality ground is available within walking distance of Wexford's main street, I'm all ears. If you think we could share with North End or some other junior club, you've another thing coming.

Why?
    I suppose you're at war with local clubs like the majority of LOI clubs.

I've yet to have the pleasure of visiting Ferrycarrig Park but out of curiosity had a look at Google Earth and .......... its looks poorly located on the outskirts of the town.

if Dundalk relocate, and it might happen, it will be within the town to DKIT campus, near the Crown Plaza hotel. Louth GAA were in talks with the college for a while but nothing came of it. Not ideal but they won't/cant spend any money renovating Oriel if they are not the leaseholders.

Why?
    I suppose you're at war with local clubs like the majority of LOI clubs.

Naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Naturally.

More of an enemy occupation than a war at one club I could mention...

• Advertisement

If you believe that, I've some swamp land to talk to you about.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-confirms-deal-to-keep-ferrycarrig-park-in-football

"An agreement was made to purchase the grounds from the Receiver, with the aim of keeping the facility within the football community."

"This transaction was very important to ensure Wexford football continues to have a home and a focal point for the game in the South East"

"It was a matter of priority for the FAI to ensure that the facility was not lost to football and I am very pleased that the steps we have taken will ensure that our game can continue to flourish in Wexford.

"Wexford Youths FC chairman Mick Wallace added: "It's certainly a good day for football in Ireland, now that the Wexford Youths Football Complex is assured of staying in football."

"When people think about this it would have been a disaster for the ground to slip away from football. We've had lots of finals there in recent years"

Your own posts state

Football community (not just Wexford Youths)
    Wexford football has a home (not just Wexford Youths)
    Facility not lost to football (not just Wexford Youths)
    Wexford Youths Football Complex is assured of staying in 'Football'
    Disaster to let it slip away from 'Football'

WYFC, with their lease, were going nowhere. The receiver accepted the best offer he could given the circumstances, though he could as easily sold it as farm land. WYFC will certainly benefit from this, as will The Wexford League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When will we know which teams from the LoI will qualify for Europa League next year? The 1st qualifying round in June 30th and the league will only be half way through

EDIT ; I've just had a look on interwebs, am i right in saying the 3 are Cork, Shamrock and St Pats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

scudzilla wrote: »
    When will we know which teams from the LoI will qualify for Europa League next year? The 1st qualifying round in June 30th and the league will only be half way through

It's based on last years league.

CSF wrote: »
    It's based on last years league.

great, so Cork, Shamrock Rovers and St Pats

Reason i ask is, my hometown, Llandudno, have just completed their first season in Welsh Premier League and finished 3rd, TNS won Welsh Cup this afternoon so we've qualified for Europa League!!

Talking with the guys back home and they're hoping against hope to get one of the Dublin clubs, rather than the arse end of Azerbaijan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Reason i ask is, my hometown, Llandudno, have just completed their first season in Welsh Premier League and finished 3rd, TNS won Welsh Cup this afternoon so we've qualified for Europa League!!

Talking with the guys back home and they're hoping against hope to get one of the Dublin clubs, rather than the arse end of Azerbaijan

You will have to hope you get Shams.

It's fate that Pats will be going to the arse end of Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Draw can be regionalised although UEFA's regions can be different than you think. We (St Pats) played in Latvia last season but could have been sent to Hungary, San Marino and Lithuenia. In the last few year in the first round we've been sent to Iceland (twice), Latvia and Lithuenia. Derry drew a Welsh team in the first round in 2014.

Presume your team are unseeded so you can be drawn against St Pats or Shams from the Irish teams. Cork are unseeded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Oat23 wrote: »
    You will have to hope you get Shams.

It's fate that Pats will be going to the arse end of Azerbaijan.

Im waiting for us to get Vladiviostok when they get in. Looking at the Russian league a few weeks ago Terek Grozny were dangerously close to the Europa League spots. That would have been a trip to hell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Much of a muchness as Tallaght really :pac:

Out of curiosity, should Llandudno draw one of the Dublin clubs, how many fans would make the trip, it's only an hour from Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The lads on Soccer Republic were dead right about Pitches across country last night.

Real like playing in Car Parks with some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The lads on Soccer Republic were dead right about Pitches across country last night.

Real like playing in Car Parks with some.

Makes a change from only criticising Dundalks pitch which ironically is one of the better pitches this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kksaints wrote: »
    Draw can be regionalised although UEFA's regions can be different than you think. We (St Pats) played in Latvia last season but could have been sent to Hungary, San Marino and Lithuenia. In the last few year in the first round we've been sent to Iceland (twice), Latvia and Lithuenia. Derry drew a Welsh team in the first round in 2014.

Presume your team are unseeded so you can be drawn against St Pats or Shams from the Irish teams. Cork are unseeded.

I read something about Galway possibly getting in too, cos some team (Sarajevo I think) had some financial irregularities. Don't know if it's true or will get anywhere though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Turners Cross pitch has been really poor so far this season, but with Ireland playing there the end of this month there was talk of it getting re-laid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Turners Cross pitch has been really poor so far this season, but with Ireland playing there the end of this month there was talk of it getting re-laid.

That won't happen while the local Msl and aul cup finals are still too be played! Once they are done they may do it then IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mushy wrote: »
    I read something about Galway possibly getting in too, cos some team (Sarajevo I think) had some financial irregularities. Don't know if it's true or will get anywhere though

That was boll*x talk. Some muppet decided to start that rumour saying Hungarian outfit Slovan Bratislava were being ejected. He'd have done well to check a map first as Bratislava is in Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Of course a 90k shortfall hasn't came out of nowhere but there's no getting away from the fact attendances are paltry.
    As has already been said, that’s not an excuse. If debts are not being paid off then the club is not budgeting properly.
    As far as I'm aware Waterford are paying expenses. They have to field 3 teams (travel & training costs).
    All with what they are getting from 300 people every fortnight.
    I really doubt gate receipts are the club’s sole source of income. If they are, then there is something very wrong.

Mushy wrote: »

UCD got in a back door last year ( LOI winning one of the fair play leagues spots, Dundalk and Cork who finished ahead of them in the fair play in Ireland were already qualified for Europe , hence UCD. And they did get past the first round
    'fair play' to them For doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

joeysoap wrote: »
    UCD got in a back door last year ( LOI winning one of the fair play leagues spots, Dundalk and Cork who finished ahead of them in the fair play in Ireland were already qualified for Europe , hence UCD. And they did get past the first round
    'fair play' to them For doing so.

They done the LOI alot prouder than that attempt at football from Cork City in Iceland. Still doesn't sit right with me that I spent so much to go over and watch that.

djpbarry wrote: »
    As has already been said, that’s not an excuse. If debts are not being paid off then the club is not budgeting properly.
    I really doubt gate receipts are the club’s sole source of income. If they are, then there is something very wrong.

There's a minimum level of expenditure to playing 14 games away from home all around the country for a senior side plus underage travel, professional coaches involved with teams(UEFA A+B badge coaches do not work for free), electricity, repairs......
    Up until this year they've been going from the tip of Cork up to the top of Donegal to play games.

I don't see how even an amateur set up (which Waterford essentially are bar player expenses) would make enough difference to off set their essential expenses.

Where do you think their extra income is coming form?
    Their gates are it + whatever bit of fund raising can be done and the odd scarf sale.

Their now former chairman John O'Sullivan was putting his own money in to keep them afloat but he's had to step aside because of health problems.

If you take a club like Cabinteely, they split the club into Junior and Senior outfit, essentially to indemnify themselves from the inevitable debt that LOI football will bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Limerick beat Galway 2-0 to go into the draw for the semi's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll be astonished if it's not Rovers v Pats in some form in the next round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/athlone-town-manager-discusses-unsavoury-incident-at-drogheda-united-match/

Athlone seem ever more screwed than first thought...

Seen a few of their attendances too, under 200 at recent games!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Only 500 supposedly in Longford, half of whom were Rovers fans. Not good.

Rovers v Pats drawn in the league cup semi final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/athlone-town-manager-discusses-unsavoury-incident-at-drogheda-united-match/

Athlone seem ever more screwed than first thought...

Seen a few of their attendances too, under 200 at recent games!

One of the key points he made was that clubs are relying on gate receipts too much. Also one thing ive noticed is a lot of clubs are looking for handouts all the time.

Take Waterford they dont even have a lotto. Even if it was to bring in €500 a week thats still an extra 2k at the end of the month.

Towell came on with about 40 to go tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Towell came on with about 40 to go tonight.

And the twitter goons have already branded him "out of his depth". First game time since January and he's playing away in a ten-man team.

Oat23 wrote: »
    And the twitter goons have already branded him "out of his depth". First game time since January and he's playing away in a ten-man team.

.... As a deep lying midfielder out of position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Well lads, made a little update to my LOI Legends thread if anyone wants a look. Giving an auld update of the stuff I've been making lately, any input and ideas as regards who or what to try next is always welcome! I'll leave an example of what the hell I'm talking about here, for anyone who has not seen my work yet!

il_570xN.1003472023_i0dw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Any news on Twigg? He coming back into the league?

• Advertisement

He supposedly left Shams to be closer to his home in Ballymena. Ports are 9th in league. Proven goal scorer definitely, past his prime, probably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement