Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Signed a two year contract supposedly, he'll be gone in the off season. Doubt he'll fancy playing in the first division.

Wonder if he'll try to go back to City

BOHtox wrote: »
    There talk of Buckley leaving Pats at the end of the year? Rumour on our forum Buckley is gonna step down and Croly is lined up to replace him with Ian Morris as his #2. Could all be ****e though

Rumoured he was going to get the sack few weeks ago when pats were down at Turners cross a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CHealy wrote: »
    You can see it here:

https://twitter.com/corkcityfcnews/status/894914079583866880

Bennett brings his leg towards Webster, inexcusable really, so stupid from an experienced player and captain on the night. Ruined the game as a contest.

It looks like 'something' happens but from that footage alone you can't see a 'stamp' there. If he did fair enough and he deserves it, but you can't make anything certain out from that footage. Hope there's better footage around so can judge better either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wonder if he'll try to go back to City

He still lives in Cork and commutes up for training and matches so would make sense that he might return back to play for Cork but that all depends on how himself and Caulfield get along after he left to join us.

With the talk of McMillen supposedly leaving Dundalk at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see them show an interest in him to play up front or out wide. He's a talented kid whose done well in my opinion this season for Limerick, it's hard enough for him at times as he'd be the stand out player for us and teams will double up on him when he's playing out wide cause they know they can afford to leave a man free inside as we're ****e so won't take advantage of it but when he's played up front at times he's done really well and with his speed he can cause problems with balls played in behind the defence.

He still lives in Cork and commutes up for training and matches so would make sense that he might return back to play for Cork but that all depends on how himself and Caulfield get along after he left to join us.

With the talk of McMillen supposedly leaving Dundalk at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see them show an interest in him to play up front or out wide. He's a talented kid whose done well in my opinion this season for Limerick, it's hard enough for him at times as he'd be the stand out player for us and teams will double up on him when he's playing out wide cause they know they can afford to leave a man free inside as we're ****e so won't take advantage of it but when he's played up front at times he's done really well and with his speed he can cause problems with balls played in behind the defence.

Thought he would've been possibly a great replacement for Sean maguire - interesting if he did and the reception for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'd be happy to see him at Dundalk. That's why I asked the question, if he was on loan it would be a no brainier to take him back. Whether McMillan goes or not we also have a vacency for a goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kevin O'Connor making his debut for Preston in the league cup against Accrington Stanley tonight, Horgan & Boyle also start, Maguire on the bench. They are currently 1-0 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

I have set up a thread for this years FAI cup if anyone is interested in keeping talk about it to one thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057772938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Funny how things work out, if he had just been patient he would be a league champion in a few weeks time and almost certainly our starting striker because he's better than Ellis and Campion. Hopefully he gets better advice on his next move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Funny how things work out, if he had just been patient he would be a league champion in a few weeks time and almost certainly our starting striker because he's better than Ellis and Campion. Hopefully he gets better advice on his next move.

I'd be happy to se him back, he would be number 1 up front and we badly need someone.

• Advertisement

Luck of the draw, EA cup final in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'd be happy to se him back, he would be number 1 up front and we badly need someone.

I'd second that. I think we all realise that he was probably badly advised. Even if it was his own decision entirely, he's a young man who made a bad decision - he isn't the first or the last to do that! He's certainly much better than anyone we have at the moment.

I'd also imagine that a full season at Cork City would help his own development much better than if he stays at Limerick, and that this would help him in his desire to play in England.

I'd second that. I think we all realise that he was probably badly advised. Even if it was his own decision entirely, he's a young man who made a bad decision - he isn't the first or the last to do that! He's certainly much better than anyone we have at the moment.

I'd also imagine that a full season at Cork City would help his own development much better than if he stays at Limerick, and that this would help him in his desire to play in England.

While I think he should have been more patient and was badly advised, he wouldn't have played anywhere near as much by now to be seen as the player he is turning into now. He also wouldn't have been playing up front, and wouldn't have started ahead of Dooley or Shep in 90% of games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Reports that a Swedish team are close to making an offer for Ronan Curtis.

Would be a big loss for us. He's our new James Mc Clean.

Let's hope if we do lose him we don't sell him on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Stephen kenny signs extension till 2020 !!!! Get in best signing of the season !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Kenny given up on another go abroad?

It just means Dundalk would be due compensation if Kenny ever went anywhere really. Contracts in LOI are 50% loyalty, 50% always an eye on the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Corholio wrote: »
    While I think he should have been more patient and was badly advised, he wouldn't have played anywhere near as much by now to be seen as the player he is turning into now. He also wouldn't have been playing up front, and wouldn't have started ahead of Dooley or Shep in 90% of games this season.

I know he'd not have had much game time this season. I mean that IF he came back to City for 2018 it will help his development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Does it also mean that Dundalk have promised him the infrastructure upgrades to Oriel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Does it also mean that Dundalk have promised him the infrastructure upgrades to Oriel?

Lets hope so although I have not seen anything yet that would indicate that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

eire4 wrote: »
    Lets hope so although I have not seen anything yet that would indicate that.

The club have said on numerous occasions, the studies are taking place to see what they can do with Oriel.

These things don't happen over night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Nobody knows more than the club owners about the conditions at Oriel. The lease was only sorted in December. The main stand in Oriel is over 50 years old and to be fair has served the club very well over that half century. That said Oriel needs serious money spent to upgrade the ground.

This is SK's 5th year as manager at Dundalk .

Of the 4 completed

3 leagues, 1 runnner up
    1 FAI cup and 1 runner up
    1 league cup

20 European matches - 5 wins, 6 draws and 9 defeats (incl the ET defeat to Rosenburg)

no club has scored more than 2 goals against Dundalk in those 20 matches.

For a (small) provincial club those that was great news today

Boylan to shams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Boylan to shams
    The window has closed. You mean next year?

Yeah believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

In the short term there will be a sports science room, video analysis room and medical room all added to the Youth Development Centre. So although it won't look like any improvements to infrastructure we are getting a lot of the off the field stuff right.

We are also opening a bar on the shed side of the ground which will bring the number of bars in the ground to four. Should be a nice wee earner as a lot of fans on that side of the ground won't walk to main bar as it's a ten minute round trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Jesus wept, the place is a ****hole and their solution? Let's open another bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Yeah believe so.
    Bringing their collection of centre midfield players up to about 14 then.

Boylan is being wasted by us anyway. It was ridiculous that he sat on the bench while Roddan played at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept, the place is a ****hole and their solution? Let's open another bar.

I didn't hear about the bar on the shed side. There was a bar in the YDC previously but I thought another bar in the town bought the licence off the previous owner. When the club took over the YDC it was an empty shell, the previous owner even removed the toilets! Might as well use it as best as possible, Perhaps the medical department will be used by other clubs locally?

As for the ground, unlike Bohs, Rovers, Derry, Bray etc there is no county council to fund redevelopment. Unlike City, Galway, Waterford etc there is no one else to develop the ground. The club are now in a position to apply for grants (which they weren't up to December), so I would expect some movement in the future. The owners are smart guys, give them credit for what they have achieved in 5 years,
    Stephen Kenny was the smartest move they made.

Full report

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kenny-focused-progression-extending-contract/

joeysoap wrote: »
    Unlike City, Galway, Waterford etc there is no one else to develop the ground.

I take all your points on board but let it be known, without Cork City, Turners Cross would be little more than a few grass banks and a hut. We may not own the ground, but we have helped redevelop it in the form of contributions to the MFA for all 4 stands and the assistance in getting grants. Cork City are currently pushing the MFA to proceed with the building of a block of toilets and hospitality suites at the St.Annes End which will be of great benefit to away fans because at the moment the portaloo system is not good enough. The MFA received a 200k grant for this work over 2 years ago on the back of City.

thanks CH, everybody at Dundalk knows the ground is obsolete, SK, in that press release states that Oriel has stood still. I know that City and Galway have put a lot of money into their grounds.

Sligo, Longford, Limerick, Athlone etc deserve huge praise for what they have done over the years.

Oriel will be redeveloped, but it's not going to happen overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

No point in wasting money trying to redevelop Oriel in it's current iteration by painting here and there and putting in a bit of concrete. It needs a major overhaul. They have had independents in surveying and assessing what to do. So give them time, they are doing it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Oriel will be redeveloped, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Why not?

Rome was built in a day.

What?

It wasn't?

oh ok.

Why not?

Rome was built in a day.

What?

It wasn't?

oh ok.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I take all your points on board but let it be known, without Cork City, Turners Cross would be little more than a few grass banks and a hut.

Absolutely. Some (a minority) in Galway football talk about Galway United like it's a nuisance that has to be tolerated.

Stuff like advertising hoardings that they get a healthy commission on, which they don't even go out and sell themselves and their "catering" contract would be revenue that simply did not exist without Galway United.

The Comer stand certainly would not be there. There might be some sort of small short covered stand.

The club is often treated like it just has the hand out all the time and is hamstrung by selfish agreements that prevent matchday revenue being maximised. It's currently fairly minimal due to agreements in place. Can't even sell minerals in the bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ryan Swan scores against us
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The club have said on numerous occasions, the studies are taking place to see what they can do with Oriel.

These things don't happen over night

More like the dosh has been trousered by the owners who have ****asll intention of doing anything with the place unless it actually falls down. No doubt they will submit a few proposed development drawings to the licensing committee to keep them happy and the place will be exactly the same in 12 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Cape Clear wrote: »
    More like the dosh has been trousered by the owners who have ****asll intention of doing anything with the place unless it actually falls down. No doubt they will submit a few proposed development drawings to the licensing committee to keep them happy and the place will be exactly the same in 12 months time.
    More like you haven't a notion what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

Terrible post. Any club would be lucky to have owners of this calibre and integrity.

It might be the same in 12 months, Derry had to vacate the Brandywell, Limerick has to use Thomond, and Bohs will have to play in Tolka by all accounts when Dalyer is being developed. if Oriel hasn't changed in say 3 years come back and post. Then you might have a case, until then please stop trolling

*The owners do own the club, the money is theirs to do with as the like, it's to their credit that they are going to developed the ground . They have have already spent €400k on acquiring the ground and replaced the pitch. Doesn't sound like trousering to me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sean Maguire in the Ireland squad. Amazing what 2 appearances for Preston can do.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Terrible post. Any club would be lucky to have owners of this calibre and integrity as owners.

It might be the same in 12 months, Derry had to vacate the Brandywell, Limerick has to use Thomond, and Bohs will have to play in Tolka by all accounts when Dalyer is being developed. if Oriel hasn't changed in say 3 years come back and post. Then you might have a case, until then please stop trolling

*The owners do own the club, the money is theirs to do with as the like, it's to their credit that they are going to developed the ground . They have have already spent €400k on acquiring the ground and replaced the pitch. Doesn't sound like trousering to me.

Doesn't the truth hurt! €400,000 is ****all. The pitch should have been replaced years ago irrespective of who owned the ground. How UEFA or the FAI passed it as a playing surface for so long is beyond comprehension. the difference between Dundalk and the other examples you cite above is the clubs have developed there grounds. Dundalk haven't spent a penny on Oriel in years irrespective of whoever owned the club.

Pighead wrote: »
    More like you haven't a notion what you are talking about.

The smell from mc eleny's underpants has removed your grip on reality such is your proximity.

You on something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You on something?

McEleney's underpants I'd say.

pjohnson wrote: »
    McEleney's underpants I'd say.

All the Brown nosing is been done by RTE and Dalk fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The smell from mc eleny's underpants has removed your grip on reality such is your proximity.
    Listen pal, you haven't a notion what you're talking about. Up here in Dundalk we are loyal, trustworthy good looking people. Haven't a clue what kip you live in but don't be comparing anybody up here with your people. Thanks.
    PS- McEleney wears boxers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement