Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Pighead wrote: »
    Listen pal, you haven't a notion what you're talking about. Up here in Dundalk we are loyal, trustworthy good looking people. Haven't a clue what kip you live in but don't be comparing anybody up here with your people. Thanks.
    PS- McEleney wears boxers.

All I can think of now is this...

c96.jpg

:pac: :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cape Clear or Bray Wanderers chairman.....this is certainly one of Boards best threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Sean Maguire in the Ireland squad. Amazing what 2 appearances for Preston can do.

It's the Magic Airplane TM

Past users of this incredible product include;

-Daryl Horgan
    -James McClean
    -Keith Fahey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anthony Buttimer refereeing Galway v Rovers on Friday. Dear God no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Sean Maguire in the Ireland squad. Amazing what 2 appearances for Preston can do.

Haven't you heard... the Magic FlightTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hello first division..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Hello first division..

Yep. We're done for now.

Bray's players looked like they wanted to be at home watching the telly and we couldn't beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Still wide open ( except for Drogs who appear to be adrift)

Points from last 5 matches;

Drogheda 1/15
    Sligo 5/15
    Galway 10/15
    Harps 9/15
    Pats 10/15
    Limerick 1/15
    Bohs 7/15
    Bray 2/15

Bohs and Bray probably have enough, Limerick have 5 home matches, Pats look to have the toughest run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

joeysoap wrote: »
    Still wide open ( except for Drogs who appear to be adrift)

Points from last 5 matches;

Drogheda 1/15
    Sligo 5/15
    Galway 10/15
    Harps 9/15
    Pats 10/15
    Limerick 1/15
    Bohs 7/15
    Bray 2/15
    I'd agree, it's between Sligo, Harps, Limerick and ourselves for the two spots. Pats, Bohs and Bray have done enough or will do just enough to be okay I think. We are playing well, decent football, scoring goals but we need to cut the mistakes. Rovers on Friday is huge, havent beaten them in 17 games or thereabouts. I'd take a point right now, a win would be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd agree, it's between Sligo, Harps, Limerick and ourselves for the two spots. Pats, Bohs and Bray have done enough or will do just enough to be okay I think. We are playing well, decent football, scoring goals but we need to cut the mistakes. Rovers on Friday is huge, havent beaten them in 17 games or thereabouts. I'd take a point right now, a win would be a bonus.

Limerick will be taking one of them spots. Haven't scored in four games, midfield is the drizzling ****s which doesn't help the defence one bit which are no better than the midfield.

Two games against Bohs and Harps at home over the next couple of weeks and cant see us picking up points in either game and should prepare for life back in the first division and get used to it for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Fair play to the 1500 odd that turned up in the showgrounds last night however fearing it could be nearing the end now. No home match now until 7th of October, need at least 4 points away to Harps and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    No home match now until 7th of October

How did this happen? Theres alot of clubs that would see themselves in major financial difficulty if they had to go 6 weeks without a gate during the season.

CHealy wrote: »
    How did this happen? Theres alot of clubs that would see themselves in major financial difficulty if they had to go 6 weeks without a gate during the season.

Joke shop of a league

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Happened Bohs the end of last season due to rearranged fixtures.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

We had one home game between 26/5 and 7/7!! Organisation isn't something the powers that be are good at.

Joke shop of a league

Are they gone completely mad or what? I actually though you meant 7th of September so I had to go check. They don't even give clubs a chance.

3 teams down could kill off 2 teams permanently. I do remember some great days in the 90's when Rovers were doing well in Division 1 and the craic was good and the crowds in the showgrounds were buoyant however that was good times when the league more teams. Now it could be a death notice.

Back to part time with locals making up majority of the team. As a Sligo man living in South Dublin at least I would have some closer games to attend in the Bowl and Cabo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We had one home game between 26/5 and 7/7!! Organisation isn't something the powers that be are good at.

Rovers had one home league game from 2/6 to 28/7 since the Bray home game was brought forward to the end of May for Europe..

Everyone has this spell..

Yeah and nobody is saying there is a specific club worse off, its just poor management.

Every year there should be targeted fixture setting for teams in Europe to play each other during the early rounds of europe so postponing doesn't have as drastic an affect on the other teams.

the run in appears to be very unfair to Sligo. Only two home matches out of the seven.

I also noticed that both limerick's and Drogheda's single point from their last 5 matches were against Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

They've only two home games left though so in theory they should already have the money. In practice they've probably already spent it.

The PCA should really force this home with the FAI before the start of next season to ensure a better a spread of games. Be a lot easier to manage in a ten team league anyway

dfx- wrote: »
    Rovers had one home league game from 2/6 to 28/7 since the Bray home game was brought forward to the end of May for Europe..

Everyone has this spell..

To facilitate Rovers; last year Dundalk had no home matches league matches from 8/7 until 12/9, but that was to facilitate Dundalk. Very hard to run a club with no steady income. Hard on Bohs last year, hard on Sligo this year. It should be easier in a 10 team league to organise next year but this is the FAI we are talking about.

Rovers need to pick up points away to fellow strugglers if they are rightful prem team so lets not sit back and say poor us and just grind it out. I always hate people going on in EPL about a teams start or finish you play everyone twice however in Ireland with 3 games against each it was a joke having uneven games.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I'm sorry but I see absolutely no issue with Sligo only having two games left out of 7. They've played more games than everyone so it's just pure cashflow management. I could possibly see an argument early on in the season but not now. It's a complete non issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

in terms of fairness, its a non issue competativly. Its just basic management of the league. Sligo's last 2 games where at home so it was 4 from 9 which is the exact same as what we have left.
    If Derry didnt go out of Europe so fast and get slotted back to where we were meant to play Cork we would have had something like one home game in 2 months because of the summer break adding to it. (luckily despite the monday game we got the c3k crowd aimed for)

You would think that it would be as simple as the 6 teams with an extra home game having the first game of the year* and alternating from there but somehow they mess that up. As said earlier, let the top 4 play each other in the league around early European games so others arent messed around and if there is knock ons so be it.
    *If all the teams with less home games got the first game at home, it would be an idea too. It is generally a larger gate and would somewhat balance the books of having one less gate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

With Brexit and the fall of the pound, would lower English league players perhaps get better wages here or is the gap too large?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

With Brexit and the fall of the pound, would lower English league players perhaps get better wages here or is the gap too large?

Id imagine the security of a longer contract and the 9 or 10 month contracts here would still ne an issue even if the wages were comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I see absolutely no issue with Sligo only having two games left out of 7. They've played more games than everyone so it's just pure cashflow management. I could possibly see an argument early on in the season but not now. It's a complete non issue.
    Actually we're grand for money. We're better run than most other clubs, off the pitch.

On the pitch however we are absolutely ****e. We accepted relegation yesterday. The players don't give a ****, subs taken off were strolling off the pitch.. The new signings look worse than the guys they replaced. We absolutely deserve to be relegated.

Lyle I wouldn't go shouting like we had cash, its tight, all the fundraising now which a few years ago were for enhancing grounds etc are now being used to keep them liquid I believe.

• Advertisement

Lyle I wouldn't go shouting like we had cash, its tight, all the fundraising now which a few years ago were for enhancing grounds etc are now being used to keep them liquid I believe.
    There's no danger of us not paying wages or anything. We always manage. The FAI aren't making it easier but we'll be grand.

It's always tight. It'll be a wee bit tighter soon when we sack Gerard.

I thought when Celtic beat Rosenberg last week that was them finished in Europe (and Celtic would play for the champions league, same as last year for Dundalk) but I see tonight Rosenberg beat Ajax away in Europa league qualifiers. that's different from last year?

From extratime

Geography is not their strongpoint :)

Europa League Review: Rosenborg down Ajax but Midtjylland and AEK Larnaca fall to defeats

The Danish champions secured a famous 1-0 away win to Ajax in Amsterdam....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

I would not give another contract to Caulfied, bizzare team selections and substitiutons ....Maguire carried that team

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Selection up front was wrong, taking Bolger off was very strange, we will probably limp over the line, but that will do.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Selection up front was wrong, taking Bolger off was very strange, we will probably limp over the line, but that will do.

Ya thanks for that Cork, bringing Sligo out of the relegation zone.

We deserved what we got tonight, played well and had the better of the first half. Then sat off and allowed Rovers all the ball for the second half. Rovers fans at their worst tonight too, flares, pitch invasion and pulling at our player trying to take a long throw at the death, they were like church mice in the second half until they scored too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Disastrous night for Harps, lets hope Cork carry tonight's form into the game on Monday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Disastrous night for Harps, lets hope Cork carry tonight's form into the game on Monday

There's every chance of that, unfortunately. We desperately need a win up there ourselves though. Not just for the three points, but the longer this run goes on the more confidence that was built up during our good run seeps away.

We just look so utterly bereft up front. It's really hard to see where any goals are going to come from.

That said, we did hit the woodwork twice tonight.

How far ahead were Dundalk when we overtook them heading into the final week a few seasons back? :pac:

Ray Matthews is not fit to referee premier division matches. This is the referee who saw penaltys in Oriel that nobody else saw. Tonight he doesn't see a handball that everybody else saw. Shame on the FAI for continuing to support him.

Sligo were well worth their win tonight. City have the league won, they were fantastic for most of the season, very hard to blame them now for taking it a bit easy.

Matthews was absolutely awful! Thank god we had Michelle O'Neill as one of the assistants. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ray Matthews is not fit to referee premier division matches. This is the referee who saw penaltys in Oriel that nobody else saw. Tonight he doesn't see a handball that everybody else saw. Shame on the FAI for continuing to support him.

Lets not forget the awful studs up to the knee challenge on Schlingermann or that ridiculous push by Bolger on Roddan for which Tobi was booked. Two yellows to Roddan for nothing as well.

Then he tops off a terrible showing with 6 minutes injury time. I guess he didn't think he favoured Cork enough in the first 90.

That was the worst Cork City performance since Caulfield took over, and we've had some bad ones. Completely and utterly clueless, both the managment and players should be ashamed of themselves. Our backup right back started up front last night, let that sink in. Even as Champions Elect there was some serious anger around the ground last night, the sort I havnt seen since the Tommy Dunne days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

That was the worst Cork City performance since Caulfield took over, and we've had some bad ones. Completely and utterly clueless, both the managment and players should be ashamed of themselves. Our backup right back started up front last night, let that sink in. Even as Champions Elect there was some serious anger around the ground last night, the sort I havnt seen since the Tommy Dunne days.

That's mad considering ye are so far ahead. Wouldn't like to see your fans if ye were near the bottom of the table.

Appears a bit OTT alright

League champs

Still in the cup

Could easily surpass Bohs 85 points haul in a season

Could still surpass Dundalk's 78 goals in a season

This quite funny

Scroll down to this year's champs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was bad last night but comparing anger to Tommy Dunnes final days is OTT. It was frustration with an awful performance and awful team selection. Just frustration at the lack of presence up front. The team is still a very good team but Seanie was a focal point, when you take that out and don't replace him, and indeed try mad things like last night to replace him, the team will suffer badly. He hasn't stuck with one thing either which makes it worse. 4 different players have played up front since Seanie left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

qwabercd wrote: »
    That's mad considering ye are so far ahead. Wouldn't like to see your fans if ye were near the bottom of the table.

They were the same last year. Give Caulfield some credit ffs. You have been second best for the last few years only to the best team to ever grace the league and now you are cup holders, about to win the league and still in the FAI cup but you want to sack the manager. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Caulfield did sign Seán Maguire btw and brought him on a lot as a player. So give him a break.

Raoul wrote: »
    They were the same last year. Give Caulfield some credit ffs. You have been second best for the last few years only to the best team to ever grace the league and now you are cup holders, about to win the league and still in the FAI cup but you want to sack the manager. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Caulfield did sign Seán Maguire btw and brought him on a lot as a player. So give him a break.

Who said anything about sacking the manager? Seriously, Id love to know where you pulled that one from.

Bit weird that he signed a centre midfielder as backup right back anyway, so maybe not a surprise that he doesn't know where to play him.

Bit weird that he signed a centre midfielder as backup right back anyway, so maybe not a surprise that he doesn't know where to play him.

He'd be one of Caulfields 'play anywhere' players that he loves. The best game Keohane actually had for us was in the 3 nil win away to Dundalk in the attacking midfielder position, would love to see him back there at some stage but Gary Buckley obviously has incriminating photos of Caulfield and is holding him to ransom in that he has to play every minute of every game in that position.

Id still love to know where Raoul got that we want to sack the manager.

Still have massive respect for Raf Cretario aswell, great player and he was well able to have a laugh with the City fans on Friday night over the Derrynane side.

dfx- wrote: »
    Anthony Buttimer refereeing Galway v Rovers on Friday. Dear God no...

Getting a bit of stick from Keegan. Buttimer, McKell and Matthews are poor choices, of the 3 I'd take Matthews and put him on s course to improve.

The other two are beyond saving.

He'd be one of Caulfields 'play anywhere' players that he loves. The best game Keohane actually had for us was in the 3 nil win away to Dundalk in the attacking midfielder position, would love to see him back there at some stage but Gary Buckley obviously has incriminating photos of Caulfield and is holding him to ransom in that he has to play every minute of every game in that position.

Id still love to know where Raoul got that we want to sack the manager.

Still have massive respect for Raf Cretario aswell, great player and he was well able to have a laugh with the City fans on Friday night over the Derrynane side.
    Keohane spent far too much time at left back for us too. He's great in midfield.

Raf is a credit to the club and the community. It'll be a sad day when he hangs up the boots.

Getting a bit of stick from Keegan. Buttimer, McKell and Matthews are poor choices, of the 3 I'd take Matthews and put him on s course to improve.

The other two are beyond saving.

Thats Keegan covering for his own tactical errors. We sat off completely and we were beaten as a result. There were handball shouts for both teams neither looked pens to me, some are adamant that our shout was blatant,will see highlights to confirm later. He could have sent off Webster for the handball but may have been harsh. It was weirdly one of the better games ive seen Buttimer have, let the game flow, wasn't handing out cards like confetti and was consistent throughout.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement