Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

We were strictly instructed to remove all references to "Youths" on our website and social media before the licence was awarded, excluding Wexford Youths Women.
    i figured something like that... and i found the one that got away :D
    (or the f*** the FAI one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The PFAI are defending Labuts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

pjohnson wrote: »
    The PFAI are defending Labuts :D

Not often that you see defending and Labuts in the same sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It's that time of the year again where I send my sincere thanks to the Shamrock Rovers board for their decision to sack Stephen Kennny. He was given his marching orders exactly five years ago today. In fairness he's done pretty well for himself since that fateful day. Just the seven trophies delivered to the good people of Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    It's that time of the year again where I send my sincere thanks to the Shamrock Rovers board for their decision to sack Stephen Kennny. He was given his marching orders exactly five years ago today. In fairness he's done pretty well for himself since that fateful day. Just the seven trophies delivered to the good people of Dundalk.

You've forgotten about his four manager of the year awards in that time also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

doncarlos wrote: »
    You've forgotten about his four manager of the year awards in that time also.
    True. Not mentioning his historic Europa League run was also an oversight on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Went to Longford on Saturday night. How has the taxman not been all over them about their ticketing system ? You go to booth to pay - you are given a plastic card (clearly a re-cycled card that's used for every home game) with the relevant type of ticket on it (ie Adult, Student, Child) - you then present said card at the turnstile, where the card is taken off you and on you go. No receipts, no ticket numbering system - nothing. How do they get away with that in 2017 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I don't think I have ever got a receipt at a football ground. Longford's system sounds fine to be honest, as long as they know how many of each ticket they have. There is no VAT on tickets so no huge incentive to hide income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

It wouldn't be unheard of for some clubs to issue children's tickets to adults so when it came to counting the stubs to split the game, they would only be giving away a percentage of a child ticket price instead of adult price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The gate is only split for cup games. Is is standard practice at Ferrycarrig Park to invite a representative of the opposition in to the ticket office to make sure everything is kosher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mr_A wrote: »
    There is no VAT on tickets so no huge incentive to hide income.

There is in the north, possible reason Derry never release accurate attendance figures. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Would assume Cork would have reps in the turnstiles watching the sales. Have done it myself at away cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I don't think either Dundalk or Cork would be too bothered if a home club pulled a little stroke to give themselves a few euro extra. Especially a first division club. Both city and Dundalk going to pay tax on it after all.

I assume with cup matches the FAI distribute the gate - after they take their 20% and after expenses. Or do expenses come out of the 20% ?

Another goal for Seanie tonight. (Looks like Greyson made an error leaving Preston, but it's a long season)

Horgan on bench again.

Richie got 82 mins. Conor O'Malley on bench.

Horgan came on for Seanie 88 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maguire is doing very well.

3 MOTM's in his last 4 games.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/112679/Show/Sean-Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 wrote: »
    Maguire is doing very well.

3 MOTM's in his last 4 games.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/112679/Show/Sean-Maguire

Going by Prestons twitter Alan Browne was named man of the match unless that's Prestons own thing they pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Going by Prestons twitter Alan Browne was named man of the match unless that's Prestons own thing they pick.

The stars mean he was the highest rated Preston player stat wise on whoscored. It's different to MOTM awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Delighted for Maguire, anyone thats seen him play in LOI in the last 6 months in particular would know that he was a level above everyone else in the league, pity we can't hang onto fellas like that but thats just the way it is. Hopefully Preston use him correctly, he's coming into it with no break so the last thing he needs is to burn out by Xmas. No Boyle or O'Connor in matchday squad either? I don't know what Boyles situation is but I just can't see where O'Connor will fit into any Championship squad, theres a hundred players in his position the same as, or better than him.

Seanie continuing where he left off for city. In terrific form. Boyle is the puzzler alright. Doesn't even mention in players 'not available' when the squads are announced. Don't know enough about O'Connor but Boyle was like a rock at the back for those three seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Boyle's just not rated that highly by Preston, they've got better CBs starting.

• Advertisement

Boyle's just not rated that highly by Preston, they've got better CBs starting.

Boyle is not rated by the new manager. Going to have to find a new club in January.

His size probably works against him as well as most Championship managers want defenders well over 6 foot.

Probably agree with both above posts. Preston have only conceded only 2 goals in 7 matches, and one of those was a penalty away to Derby. Only one conceded from open play. 0- 0 away to Leeds too. Preston might be worth a bet for promotion.

https://twitter.com/BrayWanderers/status/908083203919028224

Bray under investigation for match fixing.

Probably from the friendly against Waterford last friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's going beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Going by the video of one of the Waterford goals - it's hardly surprising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Biggest joke is nothing will be done. Bray will play premier league football next year at the expense of a club who have done everything by the book.

This season has been an example on how not to run a football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A shambles altogether. I suppose this is just the cherry on top of the ****show since June.

Those North Koreans, up to no good as usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Probably bet the Connolly money on a home banker to set the club up for a while.

With our form since the fall-out in the summer, I'm not entirely surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I've watched the goals. There's nothing to suggest matchfixing. Was there even markets in Ireland for the game? Even the line ups are a mish mash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I've watched the goals. There's nothing to suggest matchfixing. Was there even markets in Ireland for the game? Even the line ups are a mish mash.
    The game was on asian bookmakers. So it was easy to get lots of money on the game

I've watched this on you tube. The match wasn't arranged for the gate money, that's for sure.

*that young Waterford lad has a future in broadcasting.

joeysoap wrote: »

*that young Waterford lad has a future in broadcasting.

He's fantastic, its great to see a young fella like that with so much passion for his local club and the LOI in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I cant find the goals on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

pjohnson wrote: »
    I cant find the goals on youtube?

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahW9qGD52Tw
    Defending is awful, but is it just bad defending or something a bit more sinister ? Hard to say looking at the video anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahW9qGD52Tw
    Defending is awful, but is it just bad defending or something a bit more sinister ? Hard to say looking at the video anyway.

Keeper didn't look to interested in saving anything there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Keeper didn't look to interested in saving anything there!

What?! He's literally seen making saves as the games going on. If you're talking about the fourth goal (the free), you see that happening all over the world where keepers don't dive at frees if they don't think he's getting there (he wasn't).

People will see what they want to see once they have certain information. Theres nothing in any of that video that would alert me to match fixing without prior knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

CHealy wrote: »
    People will see what they want to see once they have certain information. Theres nothing in any of that video that would alert me to match fixing without prior knowledge.

Not to mention it was just a friendly game not an actual real match that counts. The whole situation is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

eigrod wrote: »
    Went to Longford on Saturday night. How has the taxman not been all over them about their ticketing system ? You go to booth to pay - you are given a plastic card (clearly a re-cycled card that's used for every home game) with the relevant type of ticket on it (ie Adult, Student, Child) - you then present said card at the turnstile, where the card is taken off you and on you go. No receipts, no ticket numbering system - nothing. How do they get away with that in 2017 ?

That ticket booth is never really in use and hasn't been the last good few years,for home games you just pay at the turnstiles, might have changed for fai cup game so cork officials could have access to see tickets being sold for the split of the gate...

I was at Oriel Park last friday.

I literally just walked in to the stadium with no ticket no questions asked & just took my seat. Was a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Whoscored is completely nonsense. Ignore it.

He played well in those games, but they pull the match ratings out of their backsides.

Looking at the league table, and it's very tight at the bottom. But the thing I noticed is that bar the top 4, every other club is in negative goal difference. Can't recall that in previous seasons. Also noticed that Shamrock Rovers only have a +5 goal difference and they are in 3rd. Both City and Dundalk are in the + 40's territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Drogheda are one of the worst Premier Division sides in recent memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Omackeral wrote: »

I know you didn't say the worst, but Longford were arguably worst last year and of course Galway United were a Sean Connor lead embarrassment in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Was at the Wexford FC- Waterford FC match last night. Big difference between the two sides. Waterford were physically much bigger and won nearly every physical duel in the 90 minutes. Waterford played some decent football especially the front four and Paul Keegan. Mark O'Sullivan scored two goals and bullied the Wexford defense all night although the first was possibly offside. Drinan also looks a very useful player.

Wexford sat too deep and for the first 75 minutes got no support up to their striker (Dobbs I think) who had a thankless task. Their midfield sat far too deep but put no real pressure on the Waterford players and so Waterford were able to play through the midfield with relative ease. They picked up a little in the last 15 minutes and Kenny Browne was lucky not to get sent off for a last man tackle that the referee bizarrely didn't even give a free for. All in all it was a comfortable win for Waterford.

First time in Ferrycarrig Park and there was a good crowd there last night mostly from Waterford who produced a good atmosphere. Wexford have a decent setup out there for their needs and the people there were friendly and helpfully but the ground like Buckley Park is, is really too far out from the town and is very awkward to get to especially if you don't have a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kksaints wrote: »
    Was at the Wexford FC- Waterford FC match last night. Big difference between the two sides. Waterford were physically much bigger and won nearly every physical duel in the 90 minutes. Waterford played some decent football especially the front four and Paul Keegan. Mark O'Sullivan scored two goals and bullied the Wexford defense all night although the first was possibly offside. Drinan also looks a very useful player.

Wexford sat too deep and for the first 75 minutes got no support up to their striker (Dobbs I think) who had a thankless task. Their midfield sat far too deep but put no real pressure on the Waterford players and so Waterford were able to play through the midfield with relative ease. They picked up a little in the last 15 minutes and Kenny Browne was lucky not to get sent off for a last man tackle that the referee bizarrely didn't even give a free for. All in all it was a comfortable win for Waterford.

First time in Ferrycarrig Park and there was a good crowd there last night mostly from Waterford who produced a good atmosphere. Wexford have a decent setup out there for their needs and the people there were friendly and helpfully but the ground like Buckley Park is, is really too far out from the town and is very awkward to get to especially if you don't have a car.

Waterford were indeed miles ahead of us, far better and more experienced squad.

871 official attendance last night, we are delighted with that. We're acutely aware that our location isn't great, and also that most new clubs don't last terribly long. We are committed to trying to buck the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Waterford were indeed miles ahead of us, far better and more experienced squad.

871 official attendance last night, we are delighted with that. We're acutely aware that our location isn't great, and also that most new clubs don't last terribly long. We are committed to trying to buck the trend.

Yeah its a good setup ye have and I understand the idea behind the new ownership scheme and I hope its a success but that ground location is a big disadvantage.

Omackeral wrote: »

Very young side. Not much (if any) money. Potential for decent fan base but even then restricted attendance (1500- 2000 max capacity at united park) if they were successful.

6 points from first 2 matches and 12 from the last 26, hard to argue with that.

I hope they regroup in the first, but an immediate return would only highlight the deficiencies of the 1st division.

I assume it's one up and playoff again next year?

kksaints wrote: »

Any word in Waterford where Paddy Barrett is headed next year? Presumably City or Hoops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Any hero able to mail me a stream for the Dundalk Rovers match?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement