Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

joeysoap wrote: »
    City are much the better side. Massey miles late with his tackle. McCormack playing terrific. Goal itself was unlucky but City deserve their lead. Ref is having a good match ( two first bookings were harsh)

Neither was a booking. Hoare won the ball cleanly. Then Massey didn't get booked when he should have been.

Vemmelund is a big loss. O'Donnell should have started too in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dundalk have been awful. Everything is so half-hearted from them.

Great performance by City so far. Better in so many aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I don't rate Connolly at all. Think he's the type that will do it in the easy games but won't make the difference when it counts. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Dundalk score. Guess they'll have to wait another week.

• Advertisement

Bit of an anticlimax for Cork fans there. Brilliant in the first half and John Caulfield reverted to type in the second. Great opportunity to get one over on Dundalk there and didn't go for it.

Think the game changed when O'Donnell came on. He really controlled things in the middle, set the tempo and put Dundalk of the front foot. Always thought he's a great player who's been cursed with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A few more dodgy bookings by the ref. But by and large he had a fair match. How did City lose 4 out of 7? I can see they need a forward but their defence is sound. With pats beating Rovers tonight that's Dundalk guaranteed runner up.

A few more dodgy bookings by the ref. But by and large he had a fair match.

He made a bollocks of his first two bookings then immediately let a clear booking go but in fairness, he recovered from that and had a decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bit of a come down feeling leaving the Cross now but totally deserved to win that game. Even when City sat back Dundalk were toothless, Connolly ran a lot but all his crosses were dire. Another game against us where McAleney was anonymous. After the Limerick disaster it was a great showing. McCormack was a monster tonight, best player on the park by a mile.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Bit of a come down feeling leaving the Cross now but totally deserved to win that game. Even when City sat back Dundalk were toothless, Connolly ran a lot but all his crosses were dire. Another game against us where McAleney was anonymous. After the Limerick disaster it was a great showing. McCormack was a monster tonight, best player on the park by a mile.

Would agree with most of that but Dundalk were were very poor and there for the taking in my opinion. A braver manager would have pit us to the sword.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Would agree with most of that but Dundalk were were very poor and there for the taking in my opinion. A braver manager would have pit us to the sword.

Any idea why O'Donnell didn't start? Dundalk were a different team when he came on.

Would say it'll be a big fine for Cork too. Few. Flares thrown on to the pitch and Rogers hit by a bottle thrown from the Shed. In fairness to the Cork fans there was plenty of boos and jeers so it was obviously just one idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any idea why O'Donnell didn't start? Dundalk were a different team when he came on.

Cup Game Sunday I'd imagine, although he is rarely fully fit so could have been that

He's been injured a lot of the season. Shame really as a fit O'Donnell is the best midfielder in the country in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

As usual I watched a different game to the RTE panelists. Only Brian Kerr talked sense.

If Cork were so brilliant, how come they had three shots on target and needed a Dundalk og for their goal?

He's been injured a lot of the season. Shame really as a fit O'Donnell is the best midfielder in the country in my opinion.

Amazing player, when fit. Will be intresting to see if Kenny keeps him on. I for one hope he does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The game will be a near sell out.

I cannot see anything other than a Dundalk win.
    I would bite the hand off you for a draw but I can't see us even getting that.

Full house, 6,983, great atmosphere. Played much better than any city fan could have hoped for. Still can't score! But an og was fine. Was always confident we would concede. Gutted not to wrap it up though. Bohs here we come!
    McCormick was immense! Not starting O'Donnell was a poor decision by Kenny, didn't look injured.

Delighted with the draw but really should have won but before the game I think every city fan would have been delighted with a point, I sure was.

justshane wrote: »
    Amazing player, when fit. Will be intresting to see if Kenny keeps him on. I for one hope he does.

He's under contract next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fantastic win for us in Richmond Park tonight. Takes us back out of the relegation zone. Now to keep that level of performance up against Limerick on Saturday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant fault the effort by City. The better team but we could not kill it off and Dundalk score from their 1 chance.

Great crowd and delighted with effort of the players, just wish they got their reward tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kksaints wrote: »
    Fantastic win for us in Richmond Park tonight. Takes us back out of the relegation zone. Now to keep that level of performance up against Limerick on Saturday week.

Massive result, fair play. Really wouldn't like to see Pats go down.

Cant fault the effort by City. The better team but we could not kill it off and Dundalk score from their 1 chance.

Great crowd and delighted with effort of the players, just wish they got their reward tonight

Bit bitter, Cork didn't even score there own goal and Duffy really should of scored into a more or less open net minutes before. A top side would of put Dundalk to the sword when one up but Cork sat back and invited Dundalk on.

At one stage I thought City would surpass Bohs 85 points and Dundalk's 78 goals. Seanie staying on for those extra weeks made all the difference.

Massive result, fair play. Really wouldn't like to see Pats go down.

Or Limerick (remember the goal against Shels) or Galway, or Harps, or Sligo. ( everybody else is safe)

Who am I missing out on?

Oh yeah

Drogheda :)

Bit bitter, Cork didn't even score there own goal and Duffy really should of scored into a more or less open net minutes before. A top side would of put Dundalk to the sword when one up but Cork sat back and invited Dundalk on.

Bitter how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Just on a side note on tonite match what a hateful person JC is his antics on the sideline all nite was nothing short of discracefull. In the fourth officels ear all nite ,screaming to get every player book !!! , on the match itself Dundalk never really got going to many players just dident show up , but credit cork the really put it up to them , but just couldn’t finish the job tonite , still all things considered cork would of taken a point at the start of the day , hopefully Dundalk won’t be missing to many for Sunday as we had a few players laboring towards the end .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Or Limerick (remember the goal against Shels) or Galway, or Harps, or Sligo. ( everybody else is safe)

Who am I missing out on?

Oh yeah

Drogheda :)

Well I'd get over it if Shane Keegan gets relegated, I'll be honest :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Draw was a fair result, and to be honest I would have bitten your hand off for it before the game. Immense first half showing from City, after the crap 6 weeks we've had to come out and play ball like that was just brilliant. We naturally regressed in the second half and I always thought giving a team like Dundalk that much ball would end in the ball in the net and it did, but as I said I do think a draw was a fair result. Think what we learned from tonight was that City aint as bad as we thought and Dundalk aint back to their best, the Cup is going to be very interesting and Im almost feeling confident of a double again.

Aside from all that, what a great advert for the league tonight was, full house, great athmosphere, and two teams playing good football for the most part, I say RTE were delighted after all the crap City have put on for them the last 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

Bitter how?

The bit when you said Dundalk did not score from the one chance they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

6,983, fair play, thats a great turnout, credit to the fans.

The bit when you said Dundalk did not score from the one chance they had.

"Did not score"?

You read it wrong so

"Did not score"?

You read it wrong so

Typo my mistake but the point is still valid. Anyway enjoy your league and it'll be intresting next year without Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Typo my mistake but the point is still valid. Anyway enjoy your league and it'll be intresting next year without Maguire.

Who sounds bitter?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

We deservedly won the first half. Dundalk deservedly won the second. Draw is a fair result, and any title nerves brought on by the last few disastrous weeks are now firmly put to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fair play to Cork. Thought they were very good in the first half. We weren't really at the races but I think it would be churlish not to credit Cork for that first 45 minutes. They were first to most of the 50/50 balls and seemed to be that bit hungrier. I thought neither side played well up to about the 70th minute and then after that Cork sat back and let us attack them.

We still couldn't really get it going in that last 20 minutes but managed to get a scrappy (probably underserved) equaliser. I say undeserved but Cork must be a tad upset that they let us off the hook tonight. Still though a result which will get Cork's juices flowing again. As said above the double is on. Really hope it's a Dundalk-Cork final again. It has become a really good rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

kksaints wrote: »

Shocked with that result. Fair play to the Saints, wouldn't have called it. The fight for survival is most definitely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Pighead wrote: »
    ........Really hope it's a Dundalk-Cork final again. It has become a really good rivalry.

For who? That's 0 wins and 4 loses for you in the last 5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Probably could have pulled up injured if he started.

Unless he sorts his injuries wouldn't be surprised if he retires soon & moves into management maybe he might give it one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Would say it'll be a big fine for Cork too. Few. Flares thrown on to the pitch and Rogers hit by a bottle thrown from the Shed. In fairness to the Cork fans there was plenty of boos and jeers so it was obviously just one idiot.

Do you mean the plastic bottle that landed nowhere near Rogers? No need to be dramatic, it was bad enough without exaggerating things.

The idiot who threw it deserves to be banned for life.

I love seeing flares at matches to be honest, they add to the atmosphere and excitement, but again, anyone who throws one onto a pitch deserves to be banned for life.

I know there are probably H&S reasons for not having flares in grounds, but how serious is the threat to anyone's H&S really (while I accept 100% that they should not be thrown)?

• Advertisement

I'm inclined to agree about the flares - in the right hands. But it's not possible to monitor that. But overall they don't cause any real problems

There was so many flares at the Rovers vs Dundalk match at Tallaght last year you couldn't see the pitch at kickoff. I think Rovers were fined.

At the Dundalk vs Legia match last year in the Aviva the Legia supporters had hundreds of flares. German referee didn't even put it in his report. No fines afaik. (Legia were later made play behind closed doors over other trouble at their home matche - but not for flares )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The FAI or clubs will never say its ok for flares to be used but what gets me then is that they are very quick to use videos or pics of them in whatever promo they have going on, it happens every year. Thought it was great last night, felt like there was some sort of pyro going off every 2 minutes, best athmosphere in a long time.

For who? That's 0 wins and 4 loses for you in the last 5 games.

Maybe the fact Cork finished behind Dundalk for 3 years in a row and both teams have contested the last 2 cup finals has forged a rivalry.

Maybe overdoing it a bit :)

As far as I can remember the ref started the match a few mins late (televised)

https://youtu.be/8aZv_nVM5WY

City won the league months ago. Dundalk just keeping them honest ( Derry and Rovers having thrown in the towel)

City kept Dundalk honest these last few years, we are only returning the compliment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

house45 wrote: »
    Just on a side note on tonite match what a hateful person JC is his antics on the sideline all nite was nothing short of discracefull. In the fourth officels ear all nite ,screaming to get every player book !!! , on the match itself Dundalk never really got going to many players just dident show up , but credit cork the really put it up to them , but just couldn’t finish the job tonite , still all things considered cork would of taken a point at the start of the day , hopefully Dundalk won’t be missing to many for Sunday as we had a few players laboring towards the end .

Caulfield at that crap all year. His players also have a habit of getting in referee ear too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Gael85 wrote: »
    Caulfield at that crap all year. His players also have a habit of getting in referee ear too.

Not a patch on Stephen o Donnell or Stephen Kenny accusing refs of cheating.

Caulfield is guilty I will admit that. Not sure I see any difference on players from games I go to. I saw 3 Dundalk players in Refs face last night, not having pop at Dundalk here and I dont think Dundalk are guilty but it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Caulfield is guilty I will admit that. Not sure I see any difference on players from games I go to. I saw 3 Dundalk players in Refs face last night, not having pop at Dundalk here and I dont think Dundalk are guilty but it happens.

Caufield does it agreed, but Kenny is no saint from when ive seen him down the Cross, and the Dundalk players were rolling around and constantly whinging to the ref, in particular Hoare .....

The fella who challenged beattie in the first half (sorry name slipped me) and then went down theatrically to avoid being booked in the first half should've been booked when finally he stopped roling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Not a patch on Stephen o Donnell or Stephen Kenny accusing refs of cheating.

Or Kennys whinge about the lack of penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The fella who challenged beattie in the first half (sorry name slipped me) and then went down theatrically to avoid being booked in the first half should've been booked when finally he stopped roling

The fella who had to go off injured shortly after?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement