Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It is about time Derry City made a complaint about the comments made by southern clubs, the way I see it they may as well play in the NI league, people might actually start going to the games too due to playing local clubs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is about time Derry City made a complaint about the comments made by southern clubs, the way I see it they may as well play in the NI league, people might actually start going to the games too due to playing local clubs

'alleged' comments.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What could possibly go wrong when 500 Linfield fans decend on the un-policed Brandywell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well lads, made a little update to my LOI Legends thread if anyone wants a look. Giving an auld update of the stuff I've been making lately, any input and ideas as regards who or what to try next is always welcome! I'll leave an example of what the hell I'm talking about here, for anyone who has not seen my work yet!

A year and a half later from my "Quality!" comment about the Heary one and I won one!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93260978&postcount=57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

A year and a half later from my "Quality!" comment about the Heary one and I won one!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93260978&postcount=57

haha small world :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice big statement by Drennan on why he is quitting the game for now. Must be a horrible place to be in, wish him the best with everything!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Mushy wrote: »
    Nice big statement by Drennan on why he is quitting the game for now. Must be a horrible place to be in, wish him the best with everything!

I'd heard it around Kilkenny this week that he had been let go, I assumed it was because of his form but I had no idea this was behind it. I hope he can deal with it, gets to enjoy life and that Kilkenny is best place for him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'd heard it around Kilkenny this week that he had been let go, I assumed it was because of his form but I had no idea this was behind it. I hope he can deal with it, gets to enjoy life and that Kilkenny is best place for him.

+1
    It was no secret Mickey Drennan was a target of Dundalk to replace Pat Hoban, but he opted for Rovers. From the rumours at the time Dundalk cooled a bit before Rovers stepped in. I too hope he gets to enjoy life, he's a young man with (hopefully) a bright future in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

He mentioned in his piece that he tried to sort it out himself, bottled it all up and let no one know, this alone is a huge problem among young males in this country. For the fear of being labelled a lunatic, or somewhat decreasing your masculinity, we say nothing to no one which of course is one of the worst things you can do. Yet even though all of this is common knowledge, I still see no push amonst the young to go talk to someone, or thats its ok to seek help if they feel mentally unwell, big big issue in this country.

Fair play to Drennan for realising he needs help, hope it gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

joeysoap wrote: »
    +1
    It was no secret Mickey Drennan was a target of Dundalk to replace Pat Hoban, but he opted for Rovers. From the rumours at the time Dundalk cooled a bit before Rovers stepped in. I too hope he gets to enjoy life, he's a young man with (hopefully) a bright future in front of him.

There were a few stories going around about his character that turned the club off. They may have gambled on a one year deal but he was demanding a two year deal so Rovers swooped in.

Hopefully he sorts himself out. Shame Kilkenny aren't still in the league as playing for his hometown team surrounded by family and friends may have helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

kksaints wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Could be an option for Ireland in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

yet our own national team wouldn't look at him, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if thhey didn't even know about him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

cms88 wrote: »
    yet our own national team wouldn't look at him, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if thhey didn't even know about him

We have better players than him in our squad already!

Dundalk already have 3 wingers better than him ourselves never mind the National Team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

cms88 wrote: »
    Bit unfair on Keane and MON - they're clearly going to great lengths (call ups for Forrester and O'Dowda, for example) to demonstrate that they're keeping an eye on everyone.

I'm not even sure Bin Mohammed is eligible for Ireland, is he? Wasn't he born in London? Probably naturalised at this stage I guess. Would have thought he'd be around the U21 squad if he was eligible? Or maybe he'd just rather play for Tunisia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

We have better players than him!
    Do we have many better players than him in their early 20s?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

djpbarry wrote: »
    Bit unfair on Keane and MON - they're clearly going to great lengths (call ups for Forrester and O'Dowda, for example) to demonstrate that they're keeping an eye on everyone.

I'm not even sure Bin Mohammed is eligible for Ireland, is he? Wasn't he born in London? Probably naturalised at this stage I guess. Would have thought he'd be around the U21 squad if he was eligible? Or maybe he'd just rather play for Tunisia?

His mother is Irish I think. He trained with the u21s apparently last year.

Going to miss two games for us which is a pain =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not where I would have expected the next League of Ireland club to come from.

http://www.the42.ie/isle-of-man-team-irish-connections-2780732-May2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hopefully not. It'd be an expensive trip for the First Division clubs to get there if hypothetically they did get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not where I would have expected the next League of Ireland club to come from.

http://www.the42.ie/isle-of-man-team-irish-connections-2780732-May2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

unless they are absolutely loaded then the cost of thier away trips is going to be seriously prohibitive, no?

Great day trip for Dublin-based away fans too, the ferry is a good 5 hours to Douglas.

Does Manx Air still exist? Does it still fly to/from Dublin? Are they still using propeller planes?

edit.

Here's more
    ‘As things are currently at a legal stage, I can’t say which Association at the moment.’

‘I’m hoping that will be signed off in a matter of months, but we’ve got to be realistic things are going to take time - we’ll have to satisfy a lot of obligations.’

‘We’re going to have to fund not only our own travel costs but also that of the other teams travelling to and from the island.

‘We are therefore looking to strike up several partnerships with local businesses to help with this.’

‘This is the start of a long-term plan - we want people to come on a journey with us.’

Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Regional Sports Centre Attendance: 268
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: The UCD Bowl. Attendance: 171
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Ferrycarrig Park Attendance: 126
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Dalymount Park Attendance: 853
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Turners Cross Attendance: 666
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Tallaght Stadium Attendance: 1,000 (est)
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: The Brandywell Attendance: 1,200 (est)
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Oriel Park Attendance: 1,750 (est)

Friday's nights attendances, ( note how the only 3 over 1,000 are estimated)

Why would anyone even think of joining this league?

Continued:
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Ringmahon Park Attendance: 100 (est)
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: St. Colman's Park Attendance: 250 (est)
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Market's Field Attendance: 545
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Athlone Town Stadium Attendance:
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Richmond Park. Attendance: 350 (est)
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: Finn Park Attendance: 420
    Competition: FAI Cup Venue: The Showgrounds. Attendance:

Two of the clubs couldn't even be ar##d giving even an estimated figure

The rest are pretty dismal. Maybe premier division clubs should only enter at 3rd round, would this increase the 'quality' of the matches and improve attendances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wexford Youths have won their second WNL title in a row, beating Shelbourne 2-1 in the play-off game. Absolutely thrilled for the squad, they've been absolutely destroyed with injury problems this season.

Brilliant attendance at the game too, 710 official.

https://twitter.com/WexfordYouthsFC/status/734416411964104704

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

joeysoap wrote:

Athlone didn't announce the attendance as it was embarrassing. A supporters protest and boycott contributed to it but the official attendance was .... drum roll ... 57............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Athlone didn't announce the attendance as it was embarrassing. A supporters protest and boycott contributed to it but the official attendance was .... drum roll ... 57............

Does that include the guys on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

852 in the Showgrounds, dismal. Crystal Palace on the box were more appealing to the masses!!

prodsc wrote: »

852 in the Showgrounds, dismal. Crystal Palace on the box were more appealing to the masses!!

Thanks prodsc: and on that point anyone know why next weekends matches are on a Sunday in direct competition with GAA matches? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Anyone who wants to see a bit of the WNL action today, the whole game is on here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffD0sN8YI0

Youths goals were at 48:50 and 1:34:15

Saint_Mel wrote: »

No one to blame but themselves for that, even though they;ll try and find someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Thanks prodsc: and on that point anyone know why next weekends matches are on a Sunday in direct competition with GAA matches? :confused:

International friendly Friday and Palace ain't playing Saturday so don't know:confused:

prodsc wrote: »
    International friendly Friday and Palace ain't playing Saturday so don't know:confused:

��

Paddy only has England v Australia on their international coupon for Friday.

https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/9999006/Coupons

Oops just googled: I see Ireland are playing Holland on 27th.

Note to self:Must get up to speed with these friendlies now with the euros coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paddy only has England v Australia on their international coupon for Friday.

https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/9999006/Coupons :confused:

Who else is playing in Friday? Confess I don't pass much heed of friedlies unless they have 'some' signifance.

Ireland are playing the Netherlands on friday.

I don't know why the games are on Sunday though as opposed to Saturday evening like they usually are when Ireland are playing on the friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ireland are playing the Netherlands on friday.

I don't know why the games are on Sunday though as opposed to Saturday evening like they usually are when Ireland are playing on the friday.

Champions League final on Saturday evening I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Champions League final on Saturday evening I assume.

Ah of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/land-to-be-rezoned-for-10m-fai-munster-soccer-school-401209.html

Great news for Cork City, land rezoned and planning should be granted shortly, and with a completion time of approx two years it should see City in a new training base for mid 2018. I've seen the plans and its really impressive, on par with some of the lower Championship clubs in Engerland I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just noticed the mid season break is 3 weeks this year as opposed to the usual 2. Fair enough with the Euros and Irelands involvement. But I also noticed the season is the exact same length as previous years, which means an extra mid week game is being shoe horned in.

The season is too bloody short as it is and there are topo many midweek games. I know clubs vote for this because of wages etc, but why not take it a step further and make it a 6 month season :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do any clubs vote against the 40 week season, or do they all just blame everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Attendances this year will take a steady decrease I would think. I go to many of the Waterford games & while they have had mixed results the games are actually very entertaining. Just don't know why more fans don't go.

Athlone had 57 at the FAI Cup last week while around 30 had a small protest outside the ground aimed at the current board. Makes no sense to protest because no club can progress with attendances that small. Also St Peters had over 1,000 at an FAI Junior Cup game around a month ago. Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The game is dying a slow death here. FAI need to act in the next year or so, if not a few clubs are bound to fold. Cabinteely, Athlone and Waterford

gimmick wrote: »
    Just noticed the mid season break is 3 weeks this year as opposed to the usual 2. Fair enough with the Euros and Irelands involvement. But I also noticed the season is the exact same length as previous years, which means an extra mid week game is being shoe horned in.

The season is too bloody short as it is and there are topo many midweek games. I know clubs vote for this because of wages etc, but why not take it a step further and make it a 6 month season :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do any clubs vote against the 40 week season, or do they all just blame everyone else?

Blame someone else i would sa, while lookin for handouts of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

wadacrack wrote: »
    The game is dying a slow death here. FAI need to act in the next year or so, if not a few clubs are bound to fold. Cabinteely, Athlone and Waterford

Probably suits them.
    Then they can roll up what clubs remain into one division & reduce their outlay financially & administratively.

Lets face it, the FAI care not a jot about the LOI.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

The first division doesn't work , it's a sinkhole, and it's almost soul destroying to see only 8 teams in it. And if you don't have money it's hard to get out of. Just ask Dundalk. I suspect Limerick have a budget to match a few in the premier division, but the rest are struggling. Maybe try a 20 team league for 1 complete season, 2nd season two teams get relegated to either the LSC/MSL or maybe a new under 21 league. Following year repeat two relegation and maybe even one more season until we are left with a 16 or 14 premier division, after that we could have promotion and relegation to this division from LSC/MSC/U21 IF the winning clubs wanted it - not compulsory to take the promotion, but at least clubs in trouble would have a decent safety net. With attendances as low as 57 Athlone might even take that option early, (as might others) instead of folding.

As for the premier division, well the prize money is ok if you are near the top, the European money is what drives clubs. But it has caused clubs to overspend in order to win the league/ qualify for Europe (Shels/Bohs/Drogs spring to mind and perhaps Derry). Good sponsorship is vital but to get those sponsors you have to have some success..... Catch 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

When I come to power, people who support a single-tier LOI will be rounded up and dealt with.

The action will be welcomed with open arms by all parties, since they were so eager to shoot themselves in the foot in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was given the answer to all the LOIs ills earlier.

Not content with regionalising it, this person sees fit that its goes provincial and we enter our 4 provinces into the English league.

Makes all of the sense.

gimmick wrote: »
    Was given the answer to all the LOIs ills earlier

I've actually heard some unusually bad ideas in that regard in the past week, but that actually scares me, that someone bothered enough to have an opinion on it could be so absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

As far as I know UEFA doesn't allow an enclosed Premier Division with no promotion/relegation. You need to have at least two tiers to compete in UEFA competitions.

As far as I know UEFA doesn't allow an enclosed Premier Division with no promotion/relegation. You need to have at least two tiers to compete in UEFA competitions.

And that Christ for that. Turkeys voting for shaggin Christmas here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

You could have one division with maybe a promotion/relegation playoff at the bottom of the division and involving say the MSL, LSL etc. It could be done in a way where the non league clubs have to battle each other and then the winner plays the bottom club in the league or something along those kinds of lines.

eire4 wrote: »
    You could have one division with maybe a promotion/relegation playoff at the bottom of the division and involving say the MSL, LSL etc. It could be done in a way where the non league clubs have to battle each other and then the winner plays the bottom club in the league or something along those kinds of lines.

Unfortunately, LOI football isn't on their radar. The better clubs in these league are big fish in a small pond and have no interest in changing that.

Ruud Dokter has done a lot since he came in, far more than I ever thought he would, but I see that as being a bridge too far.

I thought Dokter would be long gone by now, exasperated at the circus that is Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I have to laugh at these discussions.
    The problems with the league are far greater than structure, so a 10 team PD/12 team PD/MLS style structure/one league etc doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
    The Austrian/Bulgaria and Swiss leagues are all 10 team leagues and are thriving. But yet suggest a 10 team league and your immediately shot down "cos it was ****e before... something, something, UCD"

As for off season lengths blah blah. The Icelandic league is a 22 game season from May to September and they are still ahead of us in the UEFA coefficients.
    As for its all the FAI's fault. Well the league was on its knees when they took over and it still is.

The real problems with the league is lack of direction, poor marketing and lack of profile.

Lack of direction - every LOI fan has suggestions for improving it and have a vague idea that they want better attendance/facilities. But what's the leagues purpose? Should it be an Academy league for the cream of Irish talent? Or a full time league with sides aiming to progress in Europe?. What's achievable in the next 5 years?

Poor marketing - the league doesn't have to spend a fortune to market itself. A good social media presence and things like blitz weekends in LR would be beneficial. But yet the majority of clubs can't even run social media pages. Theres little to no imagination when it comes to promoting games, sticking a small ad in the bottom corner of the local rag is the height of "promotion".

Lack of profile - I was in Easons a few days ago and the autobiography section was packed with books by GAA & Rugby players. But not one LOI player.
    The profile GAA players have is huge. From Henry Sheffer to Anna Geary they are all household names. I have never watched a full camogie game but I still know who Anna Geary is. In contrast your average Joe soap who has never watched a LOI game would struggle to name a team never mind a player.

If you read the Genesis report which was published over 10 years ago the same problems are still in the league.
    I have no doubt the same problems will be there in 10 years because people are completely ignoring the real issues. It's all hand to mouth, my little patch stuff and there's a lack of longterm thinking or willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Also we're ****e. Kids just aren't playing enough or in the right way and the standard of coaching is absolutely woeful overall.

I know right as I'm saying this, that there are better ways to put it, but... you can't so much as look at a child in Iceland without coaching badges and I'm not talking about Kickstart.
    If you want to be a football coach in Iceland, you have to have coach education, even if you want to coach beginners at the grassroots level. Around 70% of all coaches have completed the UEFA B licence (124 hours) and around 30% have completed the UEFA A licence (120 hours). This is counting all coaches, even at the grassroots level.

And that was 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement