Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great deal for Waterford.
    They will be very busy during the off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Won't all his previous clubs from the age of 12 up until he signed his first pro deal with Waterford be entitled to a percentage of the fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oat23 wrote: »
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2017/10/11/mick-mccarthy-set-to-sign-cork-teenager-from-waterford/

That's mad. Joins on a free in July. Goes on trial to Ipswich in August and sold for €100k in October. How did Caulfield not recognise his talent?

Lot more to it than that, and more to come out I am sure of. Drinan refused to play for City to push through the move to Waterford. Ipswich were sniffing around in the summer but City wouldn't leave him go. He went to Ipswich on trial a week after joining Waterford. His agent is Eamonn Collins, who is best buds with Fenlon, Director of Football, at Waterford. No doubt some stuff will come out about it in the future. Either way, I can see City seeing a fair amount of that 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

City getting around 65K of that deal with other clubs entitled to some of it also is doing the rounds... no idea how these things work tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MrMac84 wrote: »
    City getting around 65K of that deal with other clubs entitled to some of it also is doing the rounds... no idea how these things work tho

Also heard Waterford set to receive about €35K with the rest to be split between City and his other clubs. Child prostitution springs to mind with these kind of deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Also heard Waterford set to receive about €35K with the rest to be split between City and his other clubs. Child prostitution springs to mind with these kind of deals.

Except for the fact that the player involved is an adult and will be delighted at the move.

But nothing like a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Thats exactly what it is. City wanted him to stay and offered a pro contract but he forced a move to Waterford where his agent is involved, one week later went on trial and now has obviously signed. City will see majority of transfer fee with the rest being split between Waterford and his schoolboy clubs and you can be sure they know exactly what they are due. UEFA are strict on rewarding player development. The entire thing stinks to be honest. Caulfield has spoken before about alot of the fellas on the u19 team that played Roma this time last year are being badly advised (mostly by parents). I dont expect this to be the last we hear of the Drinan to Ipswich move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

International transfers should be banned for players under the age of 21. It would keep the best young players in their national league longer allowing them to finish their education and develop playing first team football. It also stop the likes of Man City or Chelsea hoovering up the best young talent in Europe as they can afford to. Chelsea had something ridiculous like 50 players under the age of 21 on loan to other clubs last season at one stage

doncarlos wrote: »
    International transfers should be banned for players under the age of 21. It would keep the best young players in their national league longer allowing them to finish their education and develop playing first team football. It also stop the likes of Man City or Chelsea hoovering up the best young talent in Europe as they can afford to. Chelsea had something ridiculous like 50 players under the age of 21 on loan to other clubs last season at one stage

So you want to discriminate against under 21s by denying them the right to work abroad?

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats exactly what it is. City wanted him to stay and offered a pro contract but he forced a move to Waterford where his agent is involved, one week later went on trial and now has obviously signed. City will see majority of transfer fee with the rest being split between Waterford and his schoolboy clubs and you can be sure they know exactly what they are due. UEFA are strict on rewarding player development. The entire thing stinks to be honest. Caulfield has spoken before about alot of the fellas on the u19 team that played Roma this time last year are being badly advised (mostly by parents). I dont expect this to be the last we hear of the Drinan to Ipswich move.

You think a 19 year old is a child? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You think a 19 year old is a child? Seriously?

Legally no, in this context yes.

Except for the fact that the player involved is an adult and will be delighted at the move.

But nothing like a bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect, eh?

I call it as I see it! A 19 year old has been facilitated by an agent (who is also possibly a director of a league of Ireland club) to move across the water. Do you support this kind of pillage of the league's young talent? You say the player may be delighted now but how much of these moves work out in the end?

This is the problem when there is no reserve league for players not eligible for the u19s & not getting games in the first team.

There should be a Reserve league or some B teams entered into the 1st division.

Anyway bar Ogbene I don't think any of that Cork u19 team are huge talents. Drinan didn't look great in his few appearances at Waterford.

Ogbene was criticised for moving but it was clearly a great decision. He will be signed by an English team soon enough or a top 4 LOI team.

MD1990 wrote: »
    This is the problem when there is no reserve league for players not eligible for the u19s & not getting games in the first team.

There should be a Reserve league or some B teams entered into the 1st division.

Anyway bar Ogbene I don't think any of that Cork u19 team are huge talents. Drinan didn't look great in his few appearances at Waterford.

Ogbene was criticised for moving but it was clearly a great decision. He will be signed by an English team soon enough or a top 4 LOI team.

An National under 23's league that would allow the inclusion of maybe 2-3 over age players is needed in my view. Putting B teams in the 1st division achieves very little as we saw with the Rovers experiment a few seasons ago. I'd expect Conor Mc Carthy and Alec Byrne to have good senior careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

English clubs are afraid of losing out to the next big player. I know Chelsea had something like 33 'first' team players loaned out all over Europe two years ago. Niall Quinn gave an interview a few years ago where he said that Sunderland paid £29 million in wages the previous year to players who never kicked a ball in the first team. How do Iceland run their leagues?

joeysoap wrote: »
    English clubs are afraid of losing out to the next big player. I know Chelsea had something like 33 'first' team players loaned out all over Europe two years ago. Niall Quinn gave an interview a few years ago where he said that Sunderland paid £29 million in wages the previous year to players who never kicked a ball in the first team. How do Iceland run their leagues?
    I don't think they are.

Chelsea are just getting the best youngsters loaning them for a few years & then selling him for good money. There doing it to make money & doing a good job at it.

I call it as I see it! A 19 year old has been facilitated by an agent (who is also possibly a director of a league of Ireland club) to move across the water. Do you support this kind of pillage of the league's young talent? You say the player may be delighted now but how much of these moves work out in the end?

It doesn’t matter whether or not myself or anybody else supports it, but the young man has the right to further his career abroad if that’s what he wants.

Best of luck to him.

Legally no, in this context yes.

If he’s 20 would you consider him a child? What’s your cut off point that has absolutely no bearing on reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No club should allow their players to go on trial at another club. They should be told to make an offer or f*ck off, just as those clubs would do if bigger sides inquired about their players.

But regardless of this and the potential dodgy nature of this transfer, it'd be ridiculous and probably illegal to prevent people aged between 18 and 21 from leaving their country to find work. They're adults, they can do what they want. You wouldn't stop a tradesman or a shop assistant or an office worker from doing that, so why should you stop a professional footballer?

What's interesting with Brexit though, is the effect it'll have on Irish players aged 16 and 17 trying to move to English clubs. FIFA rules prevent players who are under 18 from moving to a club in another country (unless his parents move with him or he lives within 100km of the club in the new country). There's an exception if it's in the EU or EEA. If the UK get their hard Brexit, then that'll put an end to children transferring to English and Scottish sides. While they'll still pick up a lot of our players once the turn 18, the extra two years will mean more entitlement to compensation. And maybe the extra two years will allow clubs to convince players to stay on a little bit longer.

Interesting to see how it'll play out and whether or not FIFA make another exception for the UK.

I don’t think Brexit will make any difference as the expectation is that CTA between Britain and Ireland which preceded both states joining the EEC as it was then will continue to operate as before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think stopping young people moving would be a move backwards. I moved to Switzerland when I was 19 (not for football) and it did me good as I would assume it would do most 19-year-olds good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don’t think Brexit will make any difference as the expectation is that CTA between Britain and Ireland which preceded both states joining the EEC as it was then will continue to operate as before.

The Common Travel Area has nothing to do with it. This is a FIFA rule, that has an exception in the EU. It applies outside the EU. Ie, players under 18 can't move from South American or Asian or African or non-EU/EEA European nations. Following Brexit, the UK will be one of these non-EU/EEA nations and this exception will no longer apply to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

https://twitter.com/LOIweekly

Paul Corry speaks about his decision to retire from professional football at 26 due to a run of chronic knee injuries.

Great listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I think stopping young people moving would be a move backwards.

I would call continuing letting young teens move to a different country to fulfil a dream most of us would have only for it not to work out for the majority a continued backward step.

Surely it would be better to keep them at home, educate them, train them properly and then if they are talented enough let them go abroad.

Now, that may not apply to this person in question but this shipping off our most talented 15/16 year old needs to stop!

I would call continuing letting young teens move to a different country to fulfil a dream most of us would have only for it not to work out for the majority a continued backward step.

Surely it would be better to keep them at home, educate them, train them properly and then if they are talented enough let them go abroad.

Now, that may not apply to this person in question but this shipping off our most talented 15/16 year old needs to stop!

It needs to stop in the context of staying at home becoming the more attractive option than going abroad.

The reality is though, until then......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

https://twitter.com/LOIweekly

Paul Corry speaks about his decision to retire from professional football at 26 due to a run of chronic knee injuries.

Great listen.

Very good interview. A lot of people are familiar with his terrible bad luck with injuries.

The part of the interview that was illuminating was the discussion about agents, managers, and the business of the game.

Paul Corry is obviously an intelligent lad, well educated, and from a educated family.

Yet, he admits to being almost clueless about English football when he went there, despite being in his 20's.

What chance do young uneducated teenagers from disadvantages backgrounds have?

If he’s 20 would you consider him a child? What’s your cut off point that has absolutely no bearing on reality?

Listening to Corry's interview was fascinating.

Very honest & incredibly unlucky in his career.

I think young LOI players should be very wary of joining English clubs at a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I reckon young lads that head over to Englanf dream of makig it big because of what English football can offer, if you make it. The way youth football in England is going seems to make it harder for players to breal through.

I think if you work your way up through the LOI, you're more realistic about your prospects of what an LOI career can offer and will pay extra attention to your studies and other options if yiu don't make it in the LOI. If you do make it in the LOI, there's also the possibility of heading over and building a career for yourself, as many have done.

Obviously, this is easy for grown adults to see but not if you're a fifteen-year-old and you're getting offers to join Man U or Liverpool. Then there's the added pressure of coaches and parents, especially if they are ones who are more intereated in English football and are dismissive of the LOI then they qoukd be more likely to encourage a move to England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And even at that........ :)

joeysoap wrote: »
    And even at that........ :)

Take Wayne Rooney even at 31 still in short pants for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I reckon young lads that head over to Englanf dream of makig it big because of what English football can offer, if you make it. The way youth football in England is going seems to make it harder for players to breal through.

I think if you work your way up through the LOI, you're more realistic about your prospects of what an LOI career can offer and will pay extra attention to your studies and other options if yiu don't make it in the LOI. If you do make it in the LOI, there's also the possibility of heading over and building a career for yourself, as many have done.

Obviously, this is easy for grown adults to see but not if you're a fifteen-year-old and you're getting offers to join Man U or Liverpool. Then there's the added pressure of coaches and parents, especially if they are ones who are more intereated in English football and are dismissive of the LOI then they qoukd be more likely to encourage a move to England.

This is why I really admire Ryan Manning and his parents. He waited in Ireland specifically to do his Leaving Certificate although he could have gone to England earlier. He got 555 points in the Leaving Certificate.
    I’d done a few trials when I was younger, there were possibilities to go to England, but my parents were never going to let me move...

I was going to put everything into it for those two-and-a-half years (at QPR). If I made it, I made it. If I didn’t, I was just going to come home, play football in Ireland, go back to uni and do what I had planned to do before I went to England.

Having that back-up plan meant there was less pressure on football. Especially when I was getting to the end — there were less nerves and I wasn’t as worried… So definitely, the Leaving Cert did stand to me in terms of taking a little bit of the pressure off professionally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

http://shamrockrovers.ie/2017/10/13/7455/

On that note Rovers have just announced a partnership with Ashfield College for a few players to tailor their Leaving Cert around training hours. Very pleased with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway Community College (Monageesha) have had this going for a while now but it's not connected with Galway United. It's for 16 to 19 year olds and combines training and the leaving certificate.
    It would be great if Galway United could do that for their U17 and U19 players!
    Galway Community College Secondary School Soccer Academy is an innovative new Senior Cycle programme supported by the F.A.I. that merges the Leaving Cert Curriculum with a soccer programme that encompasses coaching, training, sports psychology and player strength and conditioning.

The director of the innovative football academy in GCC,
    Ger Bane, how the structure of the academy affords students to develop fully as footballers while being able to strive academically. With the support of the F.A.I. and a strong number of applicants for next years course one feels that it is only a matter of time before this exciting young side win some silverware.

Former Galway United coach Don O’Riordan is technical director with former Irish International and F.A.I. Cup winner Susie Cunningham in charge of the players strength and conditioning.

Why is Pat Morley calling Cork City "Cork"?

• Advertisement

That was a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That was a pen.

Stonewall

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Blatant pen and a red, a real game changer. . Playing well but that could be important in a tight game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jaysus Cork have gone to the dogs since Maguire left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jaysus Cork have gone to the dogs since Maguire left.

Welcome to 10 weeks ago :pac:

• Advertisement

Bray down to 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Akenade doing his best Tom Daley impression again

Sadlier off..... strange and stupid decision. We've stopped playing the ball to him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sadlier off..... strange and stupid decision. We've stopped playing the ball to him!!

Another bizarre sub and tactic by JC

Must say the commentary is refreshing than having Brian ‘I hate cork’ Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FFS Dundalk leading. This is never going to end.

FFS Dundalk leading. This is never going to end.

It ends Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They're going to break my heart and concede before the end. Watch :(

Sounds like the 120mins against Dundalk is catching up to Shams in the final 20.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/918938429009940480

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

ShamoBuc wrote:
    It ends Monday night.

Perfect results tonight. We could have won but City just wanted to officially win the league at home.

:pac:

Caulfield negativity exposed badly tonight.

Bringing on McCarthy for Sadlier to hold out for a draw only for Dundalk to get a late winner.

It will be Dundalk and Rovers fighting for the title next season. Expect Rovers to make some good signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

We stopped getting the ball to our most dangerous players, Dooley and Sadlier, exact same happened up in Limerick in the second half. Midfield need to take criticism for that. Penalty was a stonewaller but second half was poor. Frustrated rather than disappointed coming out of Dalymount.

We go again :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement