Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Finished 1-1 in Terryland. Still extremely tight relegation battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MD1990 wrote: »
    Caulfield negativity exposed badly tonight.

Bringing on McCarthy for Sadlier to hold out for a draw only for Dundalk to get a late winner.

It will be Dundalk and Rovers fighting for the title next season. Expect Rovers to make some good signings.

Impossible to say who will battle it out next season!

But I fully expect it will be City and Dundalk again :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oat23 wrote: »
    Sounds like the 120mins against Dundalk is catching up to Shams

Absolutely. Rovers should've been 3-0 up at HT but were out on their feet 2nd half. Sligo lots of energy but only two shots on target

then they oddly seemed to settle for the point in the final ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

87th minute winner for Dundalk. No signs of fatigue in Oriel Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'm glad that Dundalk kept City honest, Rovers certainly didn't. Though I do think Rovers will be serious challengers next season.

The league will now end in second half of September

Dundalk were fortunate in the end tonight, but that cup replay and injuries have taken their toll.

No Mountney, Massey, Vemmelund, McEleney , Connolly, O'Donnell, Stewart or Kinsella. The win was well deserved though.

The Brennan's are very talented footballers but leave their brains behind when playing against Dundalk. The sending off tonight was as stupid a sending off I have ever seen. Thought the ref (Sean Grant) had a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Caulfield negativity exposed badly tonight.

Bringing on McCarthy for Sadlier to hold out for a draw only for Dundalk to get a late winner.

It will be Dundalk and Rovers fighting for the title next season. Expect Rovers to make some good signings.

Thats not why he made that sub. Bohs were having loads of play attacking down the left, he brought on McCarthy and moved Keohane to right wing. We settled down much better after that. Saying that, Sadlier shouldn't have been the one to come off. We'll need a bit of rebuilding but we'll be up there again. Not sure what about Rovers next season that will be so dangerous as opposed to signings they made or could have made this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kksaints wrote: »
    Finished 1-1 in Terryland. Still extremely tight relegation battle.

Ya we blew it, we needed to get to half time in front after we scored. We had so much pressure first half, should have had at least a second but didnt take our chances again. Ye played ok in spells but had zero legs in midfield until Kelly moved in there. Harps are done anyway so its down to one of three, ye and Sligo in pole position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wilberto wrote: »
    Perfect results tonight. We could have won but City just wanted to officially win the league at home.

:pac:

Not going to happen Monday either I'm afraid.

We'll take the 3 pts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not going to happen Monday either I'm afraid.

We'll take the 3 pts!

I'd take a point.

:pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Hope Cork win it on Monday
    & resurface on Friday night in a Tired&Emotional state!
    Woulndt fancy Patrick's chances of needing a win on the last day in the Brandywell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps are done anyway so its down to one of three, ye and Sligo in pole position now.

We have a glimmer given we have Drogs and bohs left to play.
    Sligo also have Drogs so should be ok.
    Galway with limerick and dundalk, Pats with cork and Derry could both lose their remaining games...
    But on current form we won't beat Drogs, so... who's coming with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Start of the season I thought it was going to be a grim season for Bohs but credit to Long, a 5th place finish would be above expectations and not for the first time either under Long, a bit of consistency next season at home and we could push for 4th and Europe (Obvo if Cup goes to top 3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Impossible to say who will battle it out next season!

But I fully expect it will be City and Dundalk again :pac:

I can't see Cork being challengers next season without some serious new signings. They've been a one-trick pony until Aug. and when the pony galloped off they became very average.
    Dundalk and Shams I'd expect with Cork and Derry following. Then a serious gap to the rest.
    But I could be very wrong of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

red sean wrote: »
    I can't see Cork being challengers next season without some serious new signings. They've been a one-trick pony until Aug. and when the pony galloped off they became very average.
    Dundalk and Shams I'd expect with Cork and Derry following. Then a serious gap to the rest.
    But I could be very wrong of course.

You got that right at least ;)

City need a striker and then they will be in the top 2 again. If Seanie stayed the league would have been won in record time with a record points tally. With a 'normal' striker we would have been there or thereabouts, just like we have been for a couple of years. I fully expect more signings though.
    Not sure where all the Rovers will be challenging stuff comes from. I seem to have heard it before and it hasn't materialised. It's been City and Dundalk for a number of years, I really can't see why that is going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Every year its the same "I fully expect Rovers and Derry to be challenging" and for 4 years now its been the same 2 clubs miles and miles ahead of the rest. Yes Maguire was a central point of our team, but isnt that what football is? Having top players go out and win us games? Maguire wasnt even on the bench for Dundalk when Caulfield decided to give him a shot, an absolute masterstroke from JC if i can say myself. We had 2 players lined up to replace him in the summer but for whatever reasons they fell through at the last minute, both coming from the UK. It was then decided to go with what we have and rebuild for next year instead of panic buying in the summer. Lets not forget that City have got to yet another Cup Final without Maguire playing a single minute of Cup football this year. We'll have a job on our hands to rebuild, and as it stand right now Dundalk will be Champions this time next year, but I dont think we will be too far behind and the likes of Rovers and Derry will be fighting out for EL spots once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

major bill wrote: »
    Start of the season I thought it was going to be a grim season for Bohs but credit to Long, a 5th place finish would be above expectations and not for the first time either under Long, a bit of consistency next season at home and we could push for 4th and Europe (Obvo if Cup goes to top 3)

You're obviously gonna get injuries throughout the year but we were hit with an abnormal amount at the start with Wearen ruled out all season, Akinade missing half the season and Dinny missing the latter half of the first series. Our 3 best all missing. That meant at times Kaleem Simon and Jamie Doyle, honest lads but really poor footballers, were asked to lead the line. There's been times too where, like last night, our 3 midfielders were all defensive and lacked the creativity. I like Dan Byrne, Oscar Brennan and Fudzer and I'd keep them all on for next year but Wearen at least would have added that bit of creativity.

If we keep the bulk of the squad and maybe add winger and a left back I'd say we'll challenge for top 4 next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

CHealy wrote: »
    Every year its the same "I fully expect Rovers and Derry to be challenging" and for 4 years now its been the same 2 clubs miles and miles ahead of the rest. Yes Maguire was a central point of our team, but isnt that what football is? Having top players go out and win us games? Maguire wasnt even on the bench for Dundalk when Caulfield decided to give him a shot, an absolute masterstroke from JC if i can say myself. We had 2 players lined up to replace him in the summer but for whatever reasons they fell through at the last minute, both coming from the UK. It was then decided to go with what we have and rebuild for next year instead of panic buying in the summer. Lets not forget that City have got to yet another Cup Final without Maguire playing a single minute of Cup football this year. We'll have a job on our hands to rebuild, and as it stand right now Dundalk will be Champions this time next year, but I dont think we will be too far behind and the likes of Rovers and Derry will be fighting out for EL spots once again.
    Rovers have beaten Cork in the last 2 games & once convincingly. Rovers won 5 out 6 in the league before last night.
    Cork are expected to lose Bolger & Sheppard. Delaney & Beattie could go as well.
    Last 8 league games Cork have won twice against Harps & Drogheda both 1-0.
    Lost 3 games & drew 3 games. Mid table form.

Rovers have beaten Cork in the last 2 games & once convincingly. Rovers won 5 out 6 in the league before last night.
    Cork are expected to lose Bolger & Sheppard. Delaney & Beattie could go as well.
    Last 8 league games Cork have won twice against Harps & Drogheda both 1-0.
    Lost 3 games & drew 3 games. Mid table form.

We are 21 points ahead of Rovers (3rd) with a game in hand.

No doubt a bad couple of months but every team has a dip bar maybe Dundalk 2015. We lost 3 starters mid season but will still be champions and quite possibly double champions. You can have your mid table form.

.....Mid table form.

You know what they say about form.

CHealy wrote: »
    We are 21 points ahead of Rovers (3rd) with a game in hand.

No doubt a bad couple of months but every team has a dip bar maybe Dundalk 2015. We lost 3 starters mid season but will still be champions and quite possibly double champions. You can have your mid table form.

You think this is just a dip for Cork? If they started with the same team next year, they'd be free scoring again? If anything the start of the season was the outlier...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

dfx- wrote: »
    You think this is just a dip for Cork? If they started with the same team next year, they'd be free scoring again? If anything the start of the season was the outlier...

But we are not going to be starting with the same team next year. As I said, Caulfield confirmed we had all but signed 2 guys from the UK but for reasons unknown to me it didnt happen, rumours that one was Eoghan Stokes from Leeds. Decision was then made to stick with what we have (Sadlier was signing anyway) and rebuild during the offseason.

Anyone who finishes top after 33 games deserves to win the league and thats just that Im afraid. I'll be celebrating like a mad man Monday night should we win it then, the last two months wont even be a thought in my head anymore. It'll be City and Dundalk again next year, I have no doubt about that.

It should be Cork and Dundalk next year and it should've been for the past few years. They are several years each into building their side and having a core of players over a number of years.

Rovers are only now establishing a core set of players and settled side and the form table shows it. When they were switching around with 12 in and 12 out and figuring it out, they struggled in the first series. A couple of signings...a keeper, a striker and a left back/left winger to play with Clarke is all that Rovers need to be looking for now and build further on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Plenty of money rolling into Cork once the league is wrapped up and with CL qualifiers to offer players next season they won't be stuck when it comes to strengthening during the close season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Shams wont challenge for a title without a change of manager, but that'd put it back a season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Having a settled or core amount of players depends on playing well and being managed right. City haven't been 'ahead' of Shams for any reason other than we've played better over the past few seasons. This whole 'building' thing can start whenever anyone wants to say it starts, but lack of success is an easy excuse to say it's still ongoing.

I never see the point in trying to predict the next season in LOI anyway, most of us have supported teams long enough to know all the changing that goes on in clubs during pre season, on and off the pitch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Corholio wrote: »
    I never see the point in trying to predict the next season in LOI anyway, most of us have supported teams long enough to know all the changing that goes on in clubs during pre season, on and off the pitch.

This is exactly what I was about to say! :pac: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Plenty of money rolling into Cork once the league is wrapped up and with CL qualifiers to offer players next season they won't be stuck when it comes to strengthening during the close season.

The famous words of many a Irish club.sure what could go wrong?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

1-0 wasn't pretty but didn't need to be. Next week Limerick vs Galway should be a tasy encounter. Limerick need to a point to be mathematically safe and Galway could be relegated on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

house45 wrote: »
    The famous words of many a Irish club.sure what could go wrong?.

Well, at Cork it’s hard to see. No debt, if any. No major work needed on TX. New training facility in the pipeline. Uefa cash coming in, CL campaign ahead. Transparent well run not for profit club.

At Dundalk, sooner rather than later work will need to start progressing with Oriel or fans will be wondering what’s going on. Rumours of Kenny being wanted by Killie would be worrying for them. Be very tough replacing him.

Rovers seem way of the pace. All that optimism that came with making the EL group stages is long since gone.

I’d see Dundalk as favorites for the cup final at this stage but if Cork sign a decent center forward and strengthen the squad a bit elsewhere and they’ll be there or thereabouts next season as well.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    At Dundalk, sooner rather than later work will need to start progressing with Oriel or fans will be wondering what’s going on. Rumours of Kenny being wanted by Killie would be worrying for them. Be very tough replacing him.

Steve Clarke was named Kilmarnock manager this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

SK had already managed in Scotland, there is no way MRS Kenny was going back there. So that was a non runner.

Let's be honest most Dundalk supporters don't give a fcuk how bad Oriel is. Main stand - 50 years old- is good enough for home supporters, town end ( uncovered seats) has excellent views of pitch, shed - well the shed is the shed and the gang who go there every match love it. The away end is ****e.

The owners, despite Dundalk making 3m profit last year, only increased the budget by 10% this year. No mad spending splurge.

They have indicated they will modernise Oriel over the next few years, but this will depend on FAI funding and government funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If Cork's game against Derry is postponed tomorrow evening because of the hurricane it could have a huge impact on the relegation battle. Cork would go to Pats on Friday looking to wrap up the league rather than after a few days celebrating if the game tomorrow goes ahead and they get at least a draw.

Red weather warning in Cork. Very likely it will be off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

If Cork's game against Derry is postponed tomorrow evening because of the hurricane it could have a huge impact on the relegation battle. Cork would go to Pats on Friday looking to wrap up the league rather than after a few days celebrating if the game tomorrow goes ahead and they get at least a draw.

I hope they play it safe and call it off today

Having just read MT's latest regarding the weather, I really can't see it going ahead.

That could well have a serious knock on effect for Friday night. Bigger crowd for Pats but city will Not want to wait any longer.

Guffy wrote: »
    I hope they play it safe and call it off today

It should be alright. Looks like things will be very bad in Cork tomorrow from the afternoon onwards. It's not fair waiting until tomorrow afternoon/evening when the team and any fans are already half way through the long trip before calling it off.

Reschedule it for Tuesday night then because the weather for next weekend isn't very promising either.

kksaints wrote: »
    Reschedule it for Tuesday night then because the weather for next weekend isn't very promising either.

Difference between not promising and hurricane. May be power issues, prob not a problem in city, on tue but there would be a lot of debris around the roads on tuesday anyway.

Tbh i just want them to need a result in inchecore. Couldnt care less otherwise.

• Advertisement

At this stage it should be called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What does it say? Can't read Twitter in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

For the safety of the travelling fans it should be called off now.

It really has to be deferred, Tuesday maybe? Even the dept.of ed has closed all schools in Cork.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It really has to be deferred, Tuesday maybe? Even the dept.of ed has closed all schools in Cork.

Just got an email saying that CIT is closed as well.

When you consider the derry fans travelling from the opposite end of the country, its madness to delay it. They must really be strapped for cash or really want to win it at home as opposed to in dublin

Guffy wrote: »
    When you consider the derry fans travelling from the opposite end of the country, its madness to delay it. They must really be strapped for cash or really want to win it at home as opposed to in dublin

Would it even be up to Cork to call it off, wouldn't the guards and other officials have final say. Also wouldn't surprise me if RTE have a say and they'll call it off once the Derry team arrive in Cork if they travel today and move it to Tuesday as if it's called off now you couldn't move it to Tuesday as Derry won't be able to travel on the Monday.

Surely Derry wouldn't be travelling down in the day to Cork irrespective of the weather, they'd have to be there already...but it just can't be on tomorrow.

It'd be very funny if they move it to Tuesday or Wednesday against RTÉs wishes and the one game they don't show is the game Cork seal it.

Game is on Tuesday now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement