Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MD1990 wrote: »
    Game is on Tuesday now.

Had to happen, there's an orange rain alert as well so I would imagine the pitch will get a fair watering in the next 48hrs.

Can't wait now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Would have thought it better to move it back a week. Pitch may very well be unplayable on Tuesday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dfx- wrote: »
    Surely Derry wouldn't be travelling down in the day to Cork irrespective of the weather, they'd have to be there already...but it just can't be on tomorrow.

It'd be very funny if they move it to Tuesday or Wednesday against RTÉs wishes and the one game they don't show is the game Cork seal it.

Derry travelled today, and were near Cork when the announcement was made.

Typical FAI.

I wonder will they reimburse us for the extra hotel stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Does the reschedule mean Cork will still have to play 3 days later against Patrick's?
    Cmon Cork. wrap it up on Tuesday
    & party hard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shields is not a happy camper. It must be annoying, yes. Im sure he's really worried about Dundalk:pac:

Asked whether he would consider returning to Derry and not play the game, he said: "There is a distinct possibility and the way I'm thinking about it at the moment is I can't say it for definite. I have to put my players' safety and health before everything.

"I don't think it's fair to be stuck down here for two and a half days preparing for a game when we can't go out the hotel door.

"I don't think it's fair on Dundalk Football Club for example. From that perspective, I have to make a decision on that. We can't really travel either. That's the problem. We're stuck in the middle of this.

"It’s been very demanding on everybody. We’re sitting looking at each other not knowing what to do and psychologically the players are a little bit shocked at having to be here. I don’t want to blame anyone for this. That’s what it is about. It’s about looking after the welfare of the players and staff.

"We feel a little bit hard done by and it’s a little bit paranoid but I couldn’t see Cork City sitting in Derry for two and a half days before a game unable to prepare for a fixture of such importance. I couldn’t see that happening. Maybe that’s a little bit paranoid.

Game confirmed for 7.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can’t see the game been played tomorow as part of the roof of the cross blew off while ago. Another part is damaged and bent up in the air and the worst weather hasn’t hit yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Can’t see the game been played tomorow as part of the roof of the cross blew off while ago. Another part is damaged and bent up in the air and the worst weather hasn’t hit yet

Bad form from Cork doing whatever they can to get the Derry game to go ahead just so they can win the league at home. Derry have paid hotels for last night and tonight because of it. Given the warnings since Saturday evening the decent thing to do was postpone it until next Monday. This time yesterday they still wanted to play the bloody game tonight.

Perhaps it could be moved to Cobh's ground if it's in better condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kenny Shiels has every right to be fuming.

Very poor from Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MrMac84 wrote: »

:eek:

Someone on twitter posted a pic of the clonakilty sign from the cross in their garden.

Hopefully the stupid FIFA 12 one blows away too given it's 2017. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Even mother nature doesn't want Cork to win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from RTE
    Turner's Cross has suffered serious damage with the roof partially collapsing on one of the stands in the ground.

Hurricane Ophelia hit the south of the country this morning with damage caused to the ground and the match between Cork City and Derry City is set to be further postponed, having originally been rescheduled from Monday to Tuesday evening.

Part of the St Anne's end roof has collapsed but the extent of the damage has not yet fully been established as the dangerous conditions continue.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1016/912705-turners-cross-damaged-as-game-set-to-be-postponed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hopefully the right thing is done and cork just play pats for the title on Friday.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Hopefully the right thing is done and cork just play pats for the title on Friday.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Jesus. :eek:

DMQlCgEW4AEjvH3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

There's no way the game can go ahead tomorrow. That roof will have to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

I heard they want to close that stand off and play the game. Inspection and decision in the morning!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bad form from Cork doing whatever they can to get the Derry game to go ahead just so they can win the league at home. Derry have paid hotels for last night and tonight because of it. Given the warnings since Saturday evening the decent thing to do was postpone it until next Monday. This time yesterday they still wanted to play the bloody game tonight.

It will have to be postponed now for sure, but before the damage to the roof everything else in society was going back to normal tomorrow due to the weather. Postponing it for a week 2 days before when it was due to be less than a 12 hour event makes no sense, most things were going back to normal the next day. With the roof damage it's different now but hindsight criticism is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think you could close the stand and play the match.

But it should not have come to that, either City or the Fai should have called the match off on Sunday morning at the latest. The FAI should now reimburse Derry their extra expenses.

An no, I don't think Shiels is too worried about Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think you could close the stand and play the match.

But it should not have come to that, either City or the Fai should have called the match off on Sunday morning at the latest. The FAI should now reimburse Derry their extra expenses.

An no, I don't think Shiels is too worried about Dundalk

The FAI should but I can't see them doing it

• Advertisement

Even Turner's Cross is bottling the title.

RTE are reporting that the match will go ahead.

I am very surprised that this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

MD1990 wrote: »
    Even Turner's Cross is bottling the title.

Sean Maguire must have been carrying the stand as well

Game confirmed as going ahead tomorrow after talks with relevant authorities. Derrynane Stand closed. Kick off 7.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Oat23 wrote: »

Just seeing this now. You do realise its the FAI and the Gardai that make these desicions with the 2 clubs being consulted? I dont know what information you were receiving but as early as Saturday afternoon a representitive of Cork City put in an enquiry to the FAI about the game going ahead given forecasted storm, thats a fact btw. The club can only act on instructions from relevant authorities, you think we want a capacity reduced by 1200 and a completely empty TV facing stand for a potential league winning game? Get real bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Not sure how they came to the decision to go ahead tomorrow so quickly. Did they send people to assess the stadium in the middle of the storm?

Not sure how they came to the decision to go ahead tomorrow so quickly. Did they send people to assess the stadium in the middle of the storm?

From about 11 until half 2 it was mental, after that it eventually eased off and we even got some blue skies in the late afternoon. The RTE guys were there helping to tie it down, and then the club arranged for relevant engineers, fire officer, H&S officer and insurance officer to get to site asap. Just passed on my way to work and they have started work already.

Reckon it will be a great nil all win tonight for City.

The sun actually came out for a while in the late afternoon! Today has started well, gloriously sunny, blue skies all around with little or no wind. That will certainly help with the work they have to do.

Work done in the cross, about 40% of the derrynane roof taken away, good to go!

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Work done in the cross, about 40% of the derrynane roof taken away, good to go!

Saw that, some great work done today. I reckon if the other 60% of the roof is ok, and it looks to be bar maybe tying it down further, then it might not be as bad of a blow as we first thought. Iv a feeling the stand will be open for the Bray game.

Edit. This video would further back up the claim that it was those first three blocks where the fault was, the rest of the stand didnt budge from what we can see here and what is remaining. See 9.12 for part of roof flying off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=564&v=tm_3voaQOZg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kudos to all involved in getting the work in TC done so quickly!

Looking forward now to a Derry win on the box later! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thanks for that Ch, you boys certainly got it rough yesterday. While the storm did hit this area I don't think it was as bad as that.

I think City will finally put the league to bed this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lads anywhere I could listen to the game on the radio or online?

Cork won it at home to Derry in 2005, Rovers basically clinched it in 2011 at home to Derry, didn't Pats do it as well in 2013?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

dfx- wrote: »
    Cork won it at home to Derry in 2005, Rovers basically clinched it in 2011 at home to Derry, didn't Pats do it as well in 2013?

We won it against Sligo in Richmond in 2013 we were presented with the trophy against Derry the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lads anywhere I could listen to the game on the radio or online?
    I imagine the RTÉ 2 coverage is streaming on the website.
    Failing that I reckon a local station would be streaming commentary.

Patterson could've stayed at home. Several times seeing this Derry side now, they're very dull.

Would be interesting to see McNamee or Curtis at Dundalk for example..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cork are poison to watch since the departure of Maguire. The least thrilling amble to a league title ever, including likely two 0-0's back to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Omackeral wrote: »
    Cork are poison to watch since the departure of Maguire. The least thrilling amble to a league title ever, including likely two 0-0's back to back.

I doubt they’re particularly worried at this moment in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hope Dundalk play them off the pitch in the Aviva and give us something actually entertaining to watch. Congrats to Seanie on his title though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Congratulations to Cork. Best team in the league this season and deserved winners. No excuses for Dundalk we just weren't good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Well done Cork City FC -fully deserved champions of Ireland

Omackeral wrote: »

Very underwhelming league win in the end, but people shouldn't forget how well they played in the first few months of the season.

That was a really good Cork City side, nothing like the one on display tonight.

A very unusual season.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They've been septic. Would have been very fitting had they actually messed it up but, even with scraping over the line, they owe everything to Maguire.

Had to be a City match on with you commenting. Bitter to the end :)

Watched it in between the CL.

Cork started off well but they are struggling to create. Sheppard off to Dundalk apparently as well. Dooley looks unhappy & will probably leave. Bolger off to Waterford strongly rumoured as well.
    Big job next season to retain it with no obvious signings from Sligo that stand out right now.

Great to finally wrap it up, Derry happy for the draw from the start. Lack of punch up front, playing Keohane on right wing doesn't help and not starting Sadlier. Will lose a few players and will gain a few players, like every other team. Losing best player in the league hurt us more than we realistically imagined but it would have any other team too. Making him the lynchpin of the team won us the league and worked out brilliantly, that's all that matters in the final table. Loved the rivalry with Dundalk again this season and fair play to them for pushing us all the way.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement