Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Corholio wrote: »
    Great to finally wrap it up, Derry happy for the draw from the start. Lack of punch up front, playing Keohane on right wing doesn't help and not starting Sadlier. Will lose a few players and will gain a few players, like every other team. Losing best player in the league hurt us more than we realistically imagined but it would have any other team too. Making him the lynchpin of the team won us the league and worked out brilliantly, that's all that matters in the final table. Loved the rivalry with Dundalk again this season and fair play to them for pushing us all the way.
    Dundalk coped very well without Towell.

Easy to forget how good he was in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great win for Cork City - congratulations. The best team always wins the league, no matter what league, no matter what country.

Aswell as losing Maguire, they've looked tired over the last month - the efforts of the first 2/3rds of the season clearly has taken it's toll.

Can see a lot of players being rested for Pats game on Friday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyway congrats to the latest Cork City on their first title despite what the history thieves will tell you.

Cork for most of the season played at a tempo nobody could match.

They also had the best player in the league & were scoring 20+ yard crackers nearly every week.

They have lost all 3 things in the last 2-3 months & bored the country live on RTE since July. They are deserving champions though outplayed Dundalk 4 times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MD1990 wrote: »
    Dundalk coped very well without Towell.

Easy to forget how good he was in 2015.

Dundalk, and no team, would have been the same without Seanie, the player he was this season, that was my point. Dundalk lost 2 of their best players, had time to replace them and still ended behind in the league by 20+ points at one stage. Thats not a dig at Dundalk at all, it's just not always easy taking out very important parts of a team. We didn't expect to be quite as blunt up front even after he went though, I'm sure that'll be high priority during pre-season.

• Advertisement

Dundalk, and no team, would have been the same without Seanie, the player he was this season, that was my point. Dundalk lost 2 of their best players, had time to replace them and still ended behind in the league by 20+ points at one stage. Thats not a dig at Dundalk at all, it's just not always easy taking out very important parts of a team. We didn't expect to be quite as blunt up front even after he went though, I'm sure that'll be high priority during pre-season.
    Ronan Murray has been linked if Galway go down. That would be a good signing if it happened.
    Wouldn't be suprised if Caulfield went for Tosi either. Good physical striker the type Caulfield seems to be favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Ronan Murray has been linked if Galway go down. That would be a good signing if it happened.
    Wouldn't be suprised if Caulfield went for Tosi either. Good physical striker the type Caulfield seems to be favour.

I'm surprised Caulfield hasn't gone for Akinade. He can run the channels like Maguire and pull defenders out of position.

I'm surprised Caulfield hasn't gone for Akinade. He can run the channels like Maguire and pull defenders out of position.

The best Dublin players tend to go to Dundalk really or Rovers. I have heard Sheppard & Beattie are to leave Cork. Greene expected to join Dundalk.

I don't think Dundalk will lose many players just Vemmulund.
    McEleney I would not expect to much to England. Too injury prone.

Ya Murray has been linked for a while, has looked pretty decent anytime I've seen him. Galway fans would know more of course. Can't see Tosi being a target unless it's a backup, Campion hasn't been good enough and will be replaced there I am sure, even though he's one of the soundest players I've come across. Had a young English striker agreed to join in July when Seanie left, only to change his mind the next day after Caulfield had returned to Ireland after talks with him. That might be further pursued as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Would City fans want him anywhere near their club? Think he was linked with Sligo last year much to the dismay of their fans.

Congrats to Cork anyway on their championship win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

dan1895 wrote: »
    Would City fans want him anywhere near their club? Think he was linked with Sligo last year much to the dismay of their fans.

As far as i remember, the fans had a bit of a backlash against him coming so they dropped it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to be champions fully deserved. Could have won it sooner but it I don't care in the slightest. Champions of Ireland. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy days.

Great to finally get it over with. Credit to Dundalk for pushing us and making us sweat, but thats what a true Champion winning team like Dundalk were always going to do.

Well done to Derry too on a terrific season without the Legend McBride. Ye deserve huge praise also.

Once again well done to Cork and JC for giving us a super season

Delighted that we've finally won it but I'm hoping City have started the work for next season, a few centre backs and at least 2 strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Rodrigo Tosi would be a a wise addition to any side in the league. Excellent first touch and great with his back to goal. Also excellent in the air & has the cultured left foot.
    1 big drawback - zero pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Champions of Ireland..... We know what we are!

Felas trying to compare City losing Seani to Dalk losing Towel is like trying to compare night and day... we lost Seani mid season to a championship team competing at the top end of the league where he’s is a regular in the first 11 and has kicked on into the irish senior set up and made his debut already with in 3 months of moving and has scored a few goals with pne

Regardless of circumstances Towell moved at the end of season to a championship team, never established himself and Hence has been farmed out to league 1 on loan without ever making an impact in the first team and no interest from the national team..

No similarity’s at all other then they are both irish and both played for Dalk at one point.... we all know what Kenny thought of Seani...

The best team always wins the league, so have your pops about one man team,Seani City etc etc etc..we tried and actually thought we had his replacement signed (how to replace the best player we’ve ever had isn’t easy) but it fell through.. do ye really think anyone down south cares what Rovers Pat Dalk and the rest of the fans think of our last few games?? We don’t.... the league is won... we’re champions, all the bitching in the world won’t change that! We look forward to next Friday weeks trophy presentation and then the Aviva again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dan1895 wrote: »

Akinade will never play for another LOI due to the fans knowledge of him

Id say some teams will take a chance on him, Bray fired him iirc and Bohs picked him up

Id say some teams will take a chance on him, Bray fired him iirc and Bohs picked him up

Sure Sligo tried to sign him and then the fans had a freak out and the move fell through

Sure Sligo tried to sign him and then the fans had a freak out and the move fell through
    I believe cork did as well and same thing happened like in Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

MrMac84 wrote: »

Felas trying to compare City losing Seani to Dalk losing Towel is like trying to compare night and day... we lost Seani mid season to a championship team competing at the top end of the league where he’s is a regular in the first 11 and has kicked on into the irish senior set up and made his debut already with in 3 months of moving and has scored a few goals with pne

Regardless of circumstances Towell moved at the end of season to a championship team just beginning their season never established himself and Hence has been farmed out to league 1 on loan without ever making an impact in the first team and no interest from the national team..

No similarity’s at all other then they are both irish and both played for Dalk at one point.... we all know what Kenny thought of Seani...

The best team always wins the league, so have your pops about one man team,Seani City etc etc etc..we tried and actually thought we had his replacement signed (how to replace the best player we’ve ever had isn’t easy) but it fell through.. do ye really think anyone down south cares what Rovers Pat Dalk and the rest of the fans think of our last few games?? We don’t.... the league is won... we’re champions, all the bitching in the world won’t change that! We look forward to next Friday weeks trophy presentation and then the Aviva again...

There is winning with grace and then there is this.

There is winning with grace and then there is this.

So my post is ungracious but all the other posts calling us a one man team and how we were shîte to watch since July etc etc were gracious?????

Sound

What are Sligo fans opinion on Tobi Adebayo-Rowling?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND.

What a feeling, what a night. Theres not a soul on here that wouldnt give anything to feel what I felt at approx. 21.13 tonight, I'll never ever forget it. Winning it at the Cross with people who Iv been standing in the same spot of the ground with for years and years, special, only those who'v won it will understand. Football fans being football fans I can deal with all the "one man team" and "zombie club" stuff no bother, but Iv already forgotten about the last 2 months of crap just like I thought I would. Big job for the Cup Final and to get up and running again for next season but we can worry about that in a few days. Pats fans need not worry about Friday night, lump on the -1 I say. Funny enough its fans of clubs like Dundalk, Bohs, Rovers who Iv seen giving us genuine congrats, all the Limerick and Sligo fans seem to have a fierce gripe with us. Anyway, one of the special nights at TC, wont be forgotten.

CHAMPIONS

Asking for a friend.

A friend with the initials JC???

John Cotter I knew it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Jaysus, they really want us to send the lads up there half-cut so they'll get the 3 points, don't they? :P

Nice gesture lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Asking for a friend.
    Good first season and was linked with english premier league clubs. This year he was an absolute liability in a lot of games particularly early on but he settled as the season went on.

We have only one player that'd get into your current team and it ain't him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The fella who came on at half time last Friday looked excellent running in behind and stretching a tired defence right from the off. Moorhouse? Haven't heard of him before..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

dfx- wrote: »
    The fella who came on at half time last Friday looked excellent running in behind and stretching a tired defence right from the off. Moorhouse? Haven't heard of him before..
    He only signed mid-season. He's a striker but is yet to score. Maybe if he got one he'd get a lot more.

Faherty has started well so Moorhouse's game time has been a bit limited. Would like to see him signed for next year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CHealy wrote: »
    CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND.

What a feeling, what a night. Theres not a soul on here that wouldnt give anything to feel what I felt at approx. 21.13 tonight, I'll never ever forget it. Winning it at the Cross with people who Iv been standing in the same spot of the ground with for years and years, special, only those who'v won it will understand. Football fans being football fans I can deal with all the "one man team" and "zombie club" stuff no bother, but Iv already forgotten about the last 2 months of crap just like I thought I would. Big job for the Cup Final and to get up and running again for next season but we can worry about that in a few days. Pats fans need not worry about Friday night, lump on the -1 I say. Funny enough its fans of clubs like Dundalk, Bohs, Rovers who Iv seen giving us genuine congrats, all the Limerick and Sligo fans seem to have a fierce gripe with us. Anyway, one of the special nights at TC, wont be forgotten.

CHAMPIONS

Congrats.

.... and us Derry ones would be in the 1st group of fans I hope too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They win the league at half nine and by midnight there are complaints some fans aren't congratulating them. Jesus.

Congratulations. You have peaked at just the right time. There's so much money involved now it will be near impossible for you to make a balls of this club and have to start a new one. Again.
    Faherty has started well so Moorhouse's game time has been a bit limited. Would like to see him signed for next year though.

Only signed for us because Coventry refused to pay his old side a fee. I believe the plan is for him to join them in January. They still desperately need a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Champions at last!

Delighted we won the league, although the last few performances have been absolutely turgid. I'll leave the post-Seanie analysis for some other day though and just enjoy the moment and celebrity endorsements

https://www.facebook.com/dyjaho/videos/1529377520476838/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Oat23 wrote: »
    They win the league at half nine and by midnight there are complaints some fans aren't congratulating them. Jesus.

Congratulations. You have peaked at just the right time. There's so much money involved now it will be near impossible for you to make a balls of this club and have to start a new one. Again.

And they're off again..........:D

Whats wrong with ya bud? Come on now this is a safe space you can let it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

dfx- wrote: »

He's an ex Crumlin united player. Think he played up north for a bit too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

So my post is ungracious but all the other posts calling us a one man team and how we were shîte to watch since July etc etc were gracious?????

Sound

Maybe not gracious, but true!
    Anyway, congrats Cork!

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Maybe not gracious, but true!
    Anyway, congrats Cork!

And every part of my post was true!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Congrats Cork, well deserved. With the money due from Europe next year you should be abke to replace Maguire properly during the sunmer you'd imagine.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Regardless of circumstances Towell moved at the end of season to a championship team, never established himself and Hence has been farmed out to league 1 on loan without ever making an impact in the first team and no interest from the national team..

Horgan has got Ireland caps & was not as good as Towell was for Dundalk.

Brighton are bigger club & have a much better squad than Preston so saying Towell was not a comparable loss to Maquire isn't true.
    25 league goals from midfield is outstanding.
    Maybe have a look at this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have congratulated City on the league title on the City thread, but happy to do so on here as well. So congrats City, it a long slog ( as we know well) and the team at the top are the best over 33 matches.

On a side note , why would Akinade leave Bohs ? They have been very loyal to him through throughout, including his extended injury absence. he should repay that loyalty now.

Another side note 😀

It would have been impossible for City to replace Seanie mis season with even a player half as good they way he was playing. Dundalk signed Finn to replace Towell, Towell didn't go until a season later, so the transition was smoother. When they were both with Dundalk,.........

Congrats again City, enjoy the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Not the prettiest of League Title wins but done the business in the first two series of the season, only for Maguire moving on all sorts of records couldve being broken. Great achievement considering where the club was a few years back so congrats to the city fans and everyone that rallied behind the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

And the players :D poor aul Bohs end of season trip had to be diverted from a European city to Kilkenny due to his passport restrictions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Why does everybody hate Akinade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Google him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

justshane wrote: »
    Google him.

Oh, I knew about that. Thought there was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think that's enough to warrant the abuse.

ItsHoggie wrote: »

His constant diving as well and the Athlone incident kinda irks me and others as well

His constant diving as well and the Athlone incident kinda irks me and others as well

Athlone incident????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Looks like Cork City are about to offer players 52 week contracts starting from December 1st. (According to Paul Dollery from the42.ie.) Wonder if any of the other bigger teams in the division will follow suit.

Pighead wrote: »
    Looks like Cork City are about to offer players 52 week contracts starting from December 1st. (According to Paul Dollery from the42.ie.) Wonder if any of the other bigger teams in the division will follow suit.
    Probably needs to be an u23 League or Reserve League for squad players.

Too many players over 19 who are not regulars not getting enough football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pighead wrote: »

Question is though is it going to be for example someone is on €42k a year so are they now going to be getting €52k a year or they just gonna spread the €42k over 52 weeks instead of 42 weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement