Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The Sun newspaper gave Buttimer 3 out 10.

I can only guess one was for turning up, one was for blowing for half time and one for full time.

The ref in Oriel was doing a Buttimer reverse impersonation tonight, in that he decided at 7.45 that there would be no penalties tonight, regardless.

Fair match though in awful conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was against Corks u12s to be fair.

We still should be playing a lot better than that in fairness, a fair few players did their City careers no favours out there tonight. Centre back position, along with obviously striker, needs quality signings there for next season.

Strange night for results though, is that the first time this season the top 3 teams have all lost in the same round of fixtures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

joeysoap wrote: »
    The ref in Oriel was doing a Buttimer reverse impersonation tonight, in that he decided at 7.45 that there would be no penalties tonight, regardless.

Fair match though in awful conditions.

Thought it was a stone waller for Dundalk in the dying seconds tbh. Great battling win for Bohs up there in horrible conditions. Brought my 7 year old nephew on his first away trip and he loved it, haven't the heart to tell him that's the last one tell next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We should have had at least five against Limerick, story of our season, not taking chances. Buttimer is also still a disgrace, our first pen was soft, theirs was soft too IMO, two minutes injury time at the end after two subs, two pens, and time-wasting from Hall. Don't know how he wasn't sent off too, pummelled Murray who got the ball before him and he was last man. Derry need to us favours tonight and next week as well as Drogs finding a point or three next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

We should have had at least five against Limerick, story of our season, not taking chances. Buttimer is also still a disgrace, our first pen was soft, theirs was soft too IMO, two minutes injury time at the end after two subs, two pens, and time-wasting from Hall. Don't know how he wasn't sent off too, pummelled Murray who got the ball before him and he was last man. Derry need to us favours tonight and next week as well as Drogs finding a point or three next week.
    Wasn't at the game but to the best of my knowledge if the last man takes someone down outside the box it's a red, inside the box is a yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Keith Long for Manager of the Year, has done some Job with Bohs on a shoestring budget. Possible 5th Place finish still to play for, we were 5/6 with Paddy Power at the start of the season to be relegated, had no striker for most of the beginning. only team to beat the top 3 away from home. deserves a lot of credit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

major bill wrote: »
    Keith Long for Manager of the Year, has done some Job with Bohs on a shoestring budget. Possible 5th Place finish still to play for, we were 5/6 with Paddy Power at the start of the season to be relegated, had no striker for most of the beginning. only team to beat the top 3 away from home. deserves a lot of credit imo.

Don't go celebrating or giving a contract extension just yet!
    We were the exact same last season with Dave Robertson.
    And then, along came this season.........

And I dread to think where we'll be next season!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agreed with Long as manager of the year, he's the outstanding candidate when you consider finishing position versus what was project before the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bit of a mad game in Inchicore last night, 8 changes for City was good to see from my own POV to get a chance to see some other players, the hangovers visably kicked in after 20 minutes though, they should have left off that Reardons lock in on Thursday night. If Robbie Williams gets a league medal then Im going to demand one too. Fair play to Pats though, could have been over at 2 nil but they plugged away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Been very impressed with Ogbene's progress this season.
    He has been brillant the last few months a real joy to watch. He has incredible pace. He made up about 10 yards on Galway's Horgan last night on one occasion in the 2nd half.

Be interesting where he ends up playing next season I would be surprised if he was still at Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Bit of a mad game in Inchicore last night, 8 changes for City was good to see from my own POV to get a chance to see some other players, the hangovers visably kicked in after 20 minutes though, they should have left off that Reardons lock in on Thursday night. If Robbie Williams gets a league medal then Im going to demand one too. Fair play to Pats though, could have been over at 2 nil but they plugged away.
    You’d see better and fitter players on a Tuesday and Thursday night in the local parks then Robbie Williams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MD1990 wrote: »
    He has been brillant the last few months a real joy to watch. He has incredible pace. He made up about 10 yards on Galway's Horgan last night on one occasion in the 2nd half.

Be interesting where he ends up playing next season I would be surprised if he was still at Limerick.

Would love to see him back at City! From past conversations I get the impression he’d love to come back to. I also think things between him and Caulfield aren’t half as bad as some people try to make out they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Would love to see him back at City! From past conversations I get the impression he’d love to come back to. I also think things between him and Caulfield aren’t half as bad as some people try to make out they are

Rumoured to have a two year deal

red sean wrote: »
    Don't go celebrating or giving a contract extension just yet!
    We were the exact same last season with Dave Robertson.
    And then, along came this season.........

And I dread to think where we'll be next season!

Tbf to him he has kept Bohs ''competitive'' over the last couple of seasons and his frustrations with lack of money is starting to come out, I think Bohs will be doing very well to hold onto him especially if the Pats Job comes about.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Thought it was a stone waller for Dundalk in the dying seconds tbh. Great battling win for Bohs up there in horrible conditions. Brought my 7 year old nephew on his first away trip and he loved it, haven't the heart to tell him that's the last one tell next year.

There was 2,047 in Oriel last night, including a large Bohs support, which was great to see (and hear :)). 2,047 thought it was a stonewall. And that includes the Bohs fans. And the Ref was right beside it.

Bohs played very well. As did the plastic pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

MD1990 wrote: »

His run and positioning for his goal was very good, didn't think his use of the ball or anything else was overly impressive, went down like a ton of bricks for the pen too. The other Limerick winger (kelly?) was more impressive for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Much rain in Sligo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

major bill wrote: »
    Tbf to him he has kept Bohs ''competitive'' over the last couple of seasons and his frustrations with lack of money is starting to come out, I think Bohs will be doing very well to hold onto him especially if the Pats Job comes about.

Why would he leave Bohs for Pats?

Buttimer has form, from Oct 2007 - 10 years ago and the FAI still appoint this clown to LOI matches.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/referee-in-goalkeeper-strip-fiasco-26322437.html

Sean Grant apparently had no problem with the exact team strips in an earlier round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Much rain in Sligo?

Light drizzle this morning. Bright and calm at the moment!

Zebra3 wrote: »

Exactly. A few years ago yeah, but would make no sense for him now. Pats have no money either and ain't really going anywhere.

Why wouldn't he? only so far he can take Bohs on the money he is being given, put yourself in his shoes if that job came up and he was offered so and so had such amount to play around with he will jump on it.

That’s just my opinion

Amirani wrote: »
    Exactly. A few years ago yeah, but would make no sense for him now. Pats have no money either and ain't really going anywhere.

Probably right maybe the gargle has just gone to me head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Rumoured to have a two year deal

Hopefully he is, if not I hope Pat was calling around to a few houses this morning getting some lads signed up for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sligo two up.

The wind with the first,Faherty with number two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sligo safe, Harps down, Derry nearly settling both league and relegation inside a few days. Galway must win and Derry must win..
    Buttimer has form, from Oct 2007 - 10 years ago and the FAI still appoint this clown to LOI matches.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/referee-in-goalkeeper-strip-fiasco-26322437.html

Sean Grant apparently had no problem with the exact team strips in an earlier round.

threat of either Mother Nature or relegation was not going to upstage him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Sligo aren't safe yet. 3 points ahead of Galway but with a worse goal difference. Still between those 2 and Pats for the final spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He's done it many times. He delayed a game between ourselves and Pats for about 40 minutes years ago because the white on the arms of Pats' jersey clashed with our all-white strip. We had to wear Pats away jersey.

saints

We were fined a grand because of it.
    Sligo aren't safe yet. 3 points ahead of Galway but with a worse goal difference. Still between those 2 and Pats for the final spot

If we can't get a point against one of the weakest PD teams of recent memory we deserve to go to the graveyard.

Storm Brian is some lad. Had much worse players play for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What a match, what, a, match. Brain really made it difficult though.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

:eek: :D

• Advertisement

:eek: :D

Wasn't functioning great either with the sideways rain.

:o

We took advantage of the conditions in the first half far better than Derry did in the second so the weather was good.

The coin toss had a big impact on the game. If we had lost that and played against the wind in the first half we could have one foot in the 1D now. You never know how it would have gone.

Oat23 wrote: »
    We took advantage of the conditions in the first half far better than Derry did in the second so the weather was good.

The coin toss had a big impact on the game. If we had lost that and played against the wind in the first half we could have one foot in the 1D now. You never know how it would have gone.

We handled the weather better, was important we had that cushion at half time, and we definetly played into the wind better than they did as well, clean sheet and 3rd goal in the second half showed that. After all that, hopefully we can hold it together next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's done it many times. He delayed a game between ourselves and Pats for about 40 minutes years ago because the white on the arms of Pats' jersey clashed with our all-white strip. We had to wear Pats away jersey.

saints

If we can't get a point against one of the weakest PD teams of recent memory we deserve to go to the graveyard.

Storm Brian is some lad. Had much worse players play for us this season.

I remember that well. The way Buttimer embarrasses the league with his antics is one thing, the fact he's allowed to do it year upon year is something the FAI and their refereeing department need to sort out. It's unacceptable (well at least it should be)

saints

Was that at the Showgrounds? Have vague memories of it, and thinking why don't Pats just wear their away.

Was that at the Showgrounds? Have vague memories of it, and thinking why don't Pats just wear their away.

T'was at Richmond. Opening game of the season IIRC.

Had a look on google for the jerseys from that season. These are the jerseys he claimed clashed and delayed the game 40 minutes for.

The man is a moron and shouldn't be anywhere near the LOI.

5gDEA4tBQ2ezVKmPzbls0Q.png

299111.jpg

@oat23, didn't we get heavily fined as well?

@oat23, didn't we get heavily fined as well?

€1k for not bringing a 2nd kit, which fair enough might be against the rules but it should never have been needed.

I remember it was us who got all the blame for it and were called amateurs by everyone because we didn't bring a 2nd kit. I don't remember Buttimer getting much criticism back then because he hadn't done it much. Now everyone knows about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Tobi adebayo Rowling to cork, seen him and caufield in a cafe in roscommon rown today having a fairly in-depth conversation..

€1k for not bringing a 2nd kit, which fair enough might be against the rules but it should never have been needed.

I remember it was us who got all the blame for it and were called amateurs by everyone because we didn't bring a 2nd kit. I don't remember Buttimer getting much criticism back then because he hadn't done it much. Now everyone knows about him.

Yeah, remember it being particularly mad considering it was the exact same set of kits that was used without issue in the North London derby around the same time. Spurs all while, Arsenal red with white sleeves.

• Advertisement

flas wrote: »
    Tobi adebayo Rowling to cork, seen him and caufield in a cafe in roscommon rown today having a fairly in-depth conversation..

Call it sour grapes if you want but John Caulfield's pillaging of Rovers every window causes serious damage to the club most of the time. We played half this season with no midfield presence and no striker after losing Keohane & Campion to them.

Steven Beattie is another he tapped up after Beattie chose to come to Sligo with Heary instead of Cork. He refused to play for us after Heary was sacked to force a move to Cork after a call from Caulfield offering him an out.

Call it sour grapes if you want but John Caulfield's pillaging of Rovers every window causes serious damage to the club most of the time. We played half this season with no midfield presence and no striker after losing Keohane & Campion to them.

Steven Beattie is another he tapped up after Beattie chose to come to Sligo with Heary instead of Cork. He refused to play for us after Heary was sacked to force a move to Cork after a call from Caulfield offering him an out.

Are you saying Caulfield made an illegal approach to a player at Sligo?

Are you saying Caulfield made an illegal approach to a player at Sligo?

Nah. It was a coincidence. smile.png

Also a coincidence that he happened to be holidaying in the same part of Spain as Sadlier this summer a month before signing him.

As if the FAI care about tapping up anyway!

Well they can only investigate if a complaint is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Tobis not a major loss. Could turn out to be a very good footballer if he wants to but wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't. Think it's an attitude problem.

Still though, looking forward to the day Caulfield ****s off. I'm sure he'll be after one or two more from us. Has he managed to sign a player from outside the league yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Anyone showing loyalty to Heary should have been banned from any involvement in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's well known that Caulfield prefers players with LOI experience so signing players from within the league isn't much of a surprise. With Rovers and Dundalk able to hold onto their players and Derry keeping theirs due to logistics a lot of the time, the best players from other clubs will always be up for grabs. We have signed a fair few Sligo players but in this league that's the way it goes mostly because of the reasons above. If Sligo were challenging it'd be less of an occurrence. If signing Keohane and Campion left Sligo short then ye must have been already ultra short before that.

On that note, rumours that Kyle Callan-McFadden may be on our radar as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Tobis not a major loss. Could turn out to be a very good footballer if he wants to but wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't. Think it's an attitude problem.

Kieran Djilali mkII. Could be easily plying his trade at championship level in England. But the dedication just isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rowling has looked poor in the highlights I have seen of Sligo this season. But I have not seen much of Sligo this year.

McCabe looks to have made a real impact at Sligo Cork will probably target him as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there are some fears up here in Derry that we will have some of our best players poached this close season.

Likes of McNamee, Curtis and McEnuff.

Hopefully not, because they'd be big losses to us as we head back to our spiritual home for next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement