Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didn't see all of it but I don't think the 9 o clock news on RTE even mentioned the final tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Why aren't the FAI advertising it more? Lazy shower.

We had the ladies World Cup rugby matches on the news morning, noon and evening a few months ago. Only a few thousand attended some of the matches but RTÉ never stopped talking about the matches ( is rugby upper class?)

The GAA ladies cup final had over 45,000 thanks to some terrific work by the GAA to promote the match (and the game)

FAI couldn't give a fig if it was never mentioned in mainstream media, never mind paying for some advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joeysoap wrote: »
    Why aren't the FAI advertising it more? Lazy shower.

We had the ladies World Cup rugby matches on the news morning, noon and evening a few months ago. Only a few thousand attended some of the matches but RTÉ never stopped talking about the matches ( is rugby upper class?)

The GAA ladies cup final had over 45,000 thanks to some terrific work by the GAA to promote the match (and the game)

FAI couldn't give a fig if it was never mentioned in mainstream media, never mind paying for some advertising

Denmark play off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Happy Mark Mcnulty day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Cork City WFC 1 - 0 UCD Waves.

That's a good start anyway! :pac:

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Happy Mark Mcnulty day

Super keeper super keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Super keeper super keeper

Can’t wait for his song in Soho tonight 😉

Can’t wait for his song in Soho tonight 😉

I hope Stevie sideways has his number blocked on his phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

PFAI have released the transfer list
    http://pfai.ie/transfer-list

Does anyone know how exactly does this work? Would most out of contract players be added to the list or just players looking to resign with a different club?

15 from Drogheda, 12 from Pats, I thought there would be more Bray tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

MD1990 wrote: »
    PFAI have released the transfer list
    http://pfai.ie/transfer-list

Does anyone know how exactly does this work? Would most out of contract players be added to the list or just players looking to resign with a different club?
    As far as I remember from previous seasons any player can ask to be added. Offer players are on there but remain with the same club though.

Some good players on there.

Dean Jarvis maybe looking to leave Derry.
    A top 4 club should be looking at him I would rate him above Massey now who had a poor year.

Maxi Kouogun is a very good player at UCD as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Dean Jarvis maybe looking to leave Derry.
    A top 4 club should be looking at him I would rate him above Massey now who had a poor year.

Maxi Kouogun is a very good player at UCD as well.

Kouogun is a very good player, could easily play for Cork or Dundalk. He must be finished his scholarship if he's on the pfai list.

Kouogun is a very good player, could easily play for Cork or Dundalk. He must be finished his scholarship if he's on the pfai list.

pretty sure he was on the list last year.

I think Bohs would be a great move for him . Saw him at Dalymount a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dave Barry on Soccer Republic. His review of the season will be ranked based on teams only how and when they played in Cork when he saw them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

dfx- wrote: »
    Dave Barry on Soccer Republic. His review of the season will be ranked based on teams only how and when they played in Cork when he saw them :)
    Reminds me of when Brian Kerr was questioning Limerick's sacking of Martin Russell at the beginning of the year, he can't really judge when he's watching 3 minutes of highlights even though to be honest, 3 minutes was time enough to see he needed to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Waterford FC squad for next year starting to come together with a string of announcements today.

Officially re-signed for next season:
    Matthew Connor
    Patrick McClean
    Sander Puri
    Dean O’Halloran
    Derek Daly
    John Martin

Kenny Browne and Paul Keegan both signed 2 year contracts last year as well I believe.

Ishmail Akinade is meant to be as good as signed while Gavan Holohan has been rumoured also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Waterford FC squad for next year starting to come together with a string of announcements today.

Matthew Connor
    Patrick McClean
    Sander Puri
    Dean O’Halloran
    Derek Daly
    John Martin

Kenny Browne and Paul Keegan both signed 2 year contracts last year as well I believe.

Ishmail Akinade is meant to be as good as signed while Gavan Holohan has been rumoured also.

Akinade really??? Are yere fans happy about him

• Advertisement

From what I gather it’s pretty 50/50, obviously he’s a good player but a lot of people don’t want the club associating with him due to his past.

I imagine if he starts banging in goals all will be forgiven very fast. Football is a fickle game.

I'd take Akinade to even Limerick at this stage if the talks are we're possibly losing our best player to another relegation rival and signing a first division player whose possibly his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Matthew Connor
    Patrick McClean
    Sander Puri
    Dean O’Halloran
    Derek Daly
    John Martin

Holohan had a decent season for us. He is much better as the forward one of a three man midfield, doesn't perform that well in the deeper position. Can go missing at times and has concentration issues I'd call them. A solid player all round.

Holohan had a decent season for us. He is much better as the forward one of a three man midfield, doesn't perform that well in the deeper position. Can go missing at times and has concentration issues I'd call them. A solid player all round.

Good to hear, he’s from Kilkenny so the move makes a lot of sense for both parties.

I'd take Akinade to even Limerick at this stage if the talks are we're possibly losing our best player to another relegation rival and signing a first division player whose possibly his replacement.

Are you aware of his history, if Limerick were to sign him, I'd not set foot or give the club a cent while he is on the books. And I know at least 5 or 6 in the same boat.

Would be surprised if Akinade went to Waterford. Must be offering good money.

I thought Waterford would get a new manager also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Would be surprised if Akinade went to Waterford. Must be offering good money.

Wouldn't be surprised if they end up with one of the bigger budgets in the League tbh. Throwing money about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

An American consortium looking to takeover Dundalk according to the Irish Times. Weird one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Pighead wrote: »
    An American consortium looking to takeover Dundalk according to the Irish Times. Weird one.

Dundalk must be one of the few profitable football teams in Europe.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Seems odd, unless it's a Townie with loadsa money.

Fyffes sponsor Dundalk because, before going international, their roots were/are in Dundalk. Might be something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

As a Cork City fan, the mere mention of "consortium" gives me anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah but the type of profit we're making is pittance in the grand scheme of things. To make decent money for any prospective new owners we'd need to be getting to the group stages of the Europa/Champions League pretty much every year. To do that we need to be attracting at least championship level players which isn't realistic. Doesn't sound feasible to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Surely one look at the history of failed attempts to do just that would be enough to convince anyone that it's a terrible idea.

Not feasible to me either. Dundalk have probably the straightest and most honest owners they could ever hope to have, so in that sense a takeover could be a backwards step.

The current owners should insist to any investor interested in Dundalk that a significant amount of funds should be made available to improve the stadium first rather than start offering bigger contracts etc.

Been known for months but Bolger has confirmed he wont be staying on with City, Shamrock Rovers the likely destination if talk down here is true. Mustv been hard for a player of his quality to sit on the bench so much this year, but he just aint getting in ahead of Morrissey or McCormack, so his decision is totally understandable.

Are you aware of his history, if Limerick were to sign him, I'd not set foot or give the club a cent while he is on the books. And I know at least 5 or 6 in the same boat.

I'm aware, would even take the Brennan clan at this stage when your best player is one foot out the door and off to Sligo by all accounts while the club are signing players from the first division.

I'm aware, would even take the Brennan clan at this stage when your best player is one foot out the door and off to Sligo by all accounts while the club are signing players from the first division.

Akinade and Brennan's are two different things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Yeah but that profit is reliant on doing very well in the league and Europe and in this league thats not exactly something to be relied upon given the nature of the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Yeah but that profit is reliant on doing very well in the league and Europe and in this league thats not exactly something to be relied upon given the nature of the league.

I agree, I was just making the point that most clubs make very little or lose money. When you look at it compared to other leagues, it requires very little investment and the reward could be very high. I think though with the best players leaving our teams will find it even more difficult to achieve anything next season.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Sheppard signs 2 year deal......................................with Cork City.

Greg Bolger signs with Shamrock Rovers.

Very important re-signing for Cork.

They must have a very good budget lots of 2 year deals.

Very important re-signing for Cork.

They must have a very good budget lots of 2 year deals.

52 Week contracts is a great incentive. Best thing about it all is that the finances are completely transparent to all Foras members, and as a member I can say we are in a very healthy place. European money is the game changer, City stand to make 700k alone from Europe next year even if they lose every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

CHealy wrote: »

Greg Bolger signs with Shamrock Rovers.

Delighted with the news Shep is staying. It seemed a done deal that he was headed to Dundalk. Hopefully the fans who gave him a hard time at the Bray game feel suitably ashamed of themselves!

Good luck to Bolger too. He's too good a player to be on the bench all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

rovers will be a force next season, Bolger just what they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

52 Week contracts is a great incentive. Best thing about it all is that the finances are completely transparent to all Foras members, and as a member I can say we are in a very healthy place. European money is the game changer, City stand to make 700k alone from Europe next year even if they lose every game.

Our entire budget was a little over €1m this season and we had the 4th highest budget with no Euro money. Gives you an idea of how far ahead the teams in Europe are now when Cork are guaranteed €700k just for showing up for CL/EL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Not overly disappointed in this. Decent player but far better value out there if there is any truth to his wage demands. He played the Cork board like a fiddle and got a decent extra wedge out of it.

Not convinced Greg Bolger is that good of a signing.
    I think he is past his best. Still good on the ball but players just breeze past him in midfield. He will be the deepest CM for Rovers now & won't give good protection to the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

doncarlos wrote: »
    Not overly disappointed in this. Decent player but far better value out there if there is any truth to his wage demands. He played the Cork board like a fiddle and got a decent extra wedge out of it.

Played Dundalk 'journalists' for a fiddle too.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »

If you say so bud. There only one man who has been played like a fiddle and both you and me know exactly who it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement