Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

doncarlos wrote: »
    Not overly disappointed in this. Decent player but far better value out there if there is any truth to his wage demands. He played the Cork board like a fiddle and got a decent extra wedge out of it.

That's one way of looking at it.....of course there are clearly others!
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Not convinced Greg Bolger is that good of a signing.
    I think he is past his best. Still good on the ball but players just breeze past him in midfield. He will be the deepest CM for Rovers now & won't give good protection to the back 4.

I think he will make a good addition to the first team, would have preferred if he went elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good day for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    If you say so bud. There only one man who has been played like a fiddle and both you and me know exactly who it was.

So you don't think Cork have had to pay him a massive pay rise to stop him signing for Dundalk? You can't be that niave surely?

Just got a text from a lad that's usually in the know and he is adament that we'll be due a fee for Sheppard as he had signed a pre contract.

Haven't heard of this happening before in the LOI or even if a pre contract is legally binding as there is a standard PFAI contract as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Best of luck with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just got a text from a lad that's usually in the know and he is adament that we'll be due a fee for Sheppard as he had signed a pre contract.

Haven't heard of this happening before in the LOI or even if a pre contract is legally binding as there is a standard PFAI contract as far as I know

Pre contract is only binding if the essential contract terms were also agreed in the pre contract. I would guess highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

So you don't think Cork have had to pay him a massive pay rise to stop him signing for Dundalk? You can't be that niave surely?

You think we dont know that every single player has already knocked on Caulfields door looking for a rise as Double Champions? From what Iv heard Sheppards girlfriend moving to Cork was the clincher as he always wanted to stay. Better late than never.

As for your "pre contract fee due to Dundalk" talk, you cant be that niave surely?

CHealy wrote: »

As for your "pre contract fee due to Dundalk" talk, you cant be that niave surely?

Like I said, I don't think it would be legally binding as there are standard PFAI contracts. I know we had problems a few years back trying to issue contracts that included some non playing duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

youll get nothing. Chris turner did it to us before joining shams. Pre.contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Greene had one with Sligo Rovers before along with a few more, means nothing.

Greene would be a very good alternative to Sheppard for Dundalk. Can play on right,left or up top. Very good at Bray this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

shanec1928 wrote: »
    youll get nothing. Chris turner did it to us before joining shams. Pre.contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

I don't think they'll be owed any fee either but Turner's situation was slightly different. Around the time we signed him the league had issued new contract forms and the contract he signed was on the old invalid form which is why he was able to disappear to Shams. We had to go to court to get a forward payment we made to him back I believe.

How out of touch are the FAI? It was during very hard times in Ireland. Rovers paid him about a months wages in advance to help him out over the winter and the FAI wanted a points deduction because they say we broke some sort of rule trying to help him out. Or so I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Can't see Dundalk bothering to be honest, if any player wants to stay with any club that's their prerogative.

I agree Greene would be a good alternative

And it's not unreasonable - as Dundalk can confirm- for players to request a substantial increase in wages after winning a league, never mind a double. Players are well aware that CL football is a golden nugget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The chasm between Cork, Dundalk and the rest is obviously going to grow again next year which makes you wonder how competitive the league will be. They are going to be streets ahead in budget terms, can hold players to two year deals and squads big enough to field almost two teams who could stay up. As a Galway Utd fan all my life I just don't see a time when we (as well as the likes of Harps, Drogs, Bray, Limerick, maybe Bohs, maybe Sligo and every first division team) can compete for anything other than relegation from the Premier or a tilt at the first division every other year. The fact that the FAI don't give a hoot means the money from European football will propel these teams to a different level which makes them almost untouchable. Not having a go at either club, both are examples of how to do things right, just a pessimistic view of the league as a whole.

The gap can still be closed.

Dundalk are far off what they were in 2015-2016. The top sides will lose players to England also & it is hard to keep replacing them.
    Clifford was probably on decent money & was awful. They also paid 40k for Connolly which looks a poor investment right now. None of Dundalk's signing last year bar Duffy & Vemmelund were really that succesfull. Cork trying to replace Maquire will be very tough as well.

Good signing for Cork . Unsure he fits in a Caulfield team though.

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/928245732854976512

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Good signing for Cork . Unsure he fits in a Caulfield team though.

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/928245732854976512

That is big.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Massive signing for Cork. McNamee playing in front of the two best midfield destroyers in the league, that midfield three is gonna be something else.

• Advertisement

Buckley will be on the bench now.

I don't think Cork will target Murray now. They will probably get a striker to run in behind with that midfield 3 & Sheppard, Sadlier on the wings they will be very strong.

Akinade would be a very good signing but probably won't happen as it looks he is off to Waterford & fans could protest it anyway.
    Derry will need to do some good scouting again. Probably have some good youngsters they will bring through as well.

That's a really good signing for City.

As for Bens post, yes, it is hard to break into the European 4 spots, but 5 years ago Dundalk were in a worse position than Galway, Sligo etc are in now. If Monaghan didn't fold I doubt they would have made the play off with Waterford. Whether by chance, good luck (or very just very good managing) the side that SK assembled was by and large free. This included Gannon, Boyle, O'Donnell, Towell, Hoban, McMillan, Byrne, Meehan etc. I actually think they were all free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That McNamee signing stings a bit. Had a sneaky feeling he'd be playing with Dundalk next year. Kenny rates him very highly. Was sure he'd make a move for him. Very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When Shamrock Rovers broke into the Europa League there were a lot of people saying that they'd dominate for years to come. They didn't. When Dundalk were even more successful in Europe plenty of people were saying that the league was gonna be a one horse race for the next decade. It wasn't. Our league is unreal in terms of rises and falls. The last ten years has seen 7 different clubs claim the Premier Division title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork and Dundalk won't be making the LOI look like The Old Firm in Scotland anytime soon.

Shamrock Rovers seem have some nice talent coming along and with likes of Derry we could see challenge next season.

I get what ye are saying, I just don't think we've had a time where two teams were clearly that much better/bigger as the two are now. And with the addition of more money next season, they can also both have their pick of any player in the league, which again I dont necessarily think has been the case so much before. The McNamee signing is a perfect example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Buckley will be on the bench now.

I don't think Cork will target Murray now. They will probably get a striker to run in behind with that midfield 3 & Sheppard, Sadlier on the wings they will be very strong.

Akinade would be a very good signing but probably won't happen as it looks he is off to Waterford & fans could protest it anyway.
    Derry will need to do some good scouting again. Probably have some good youngsters they will bring through as well.

Ogbene back to Cork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I get what ye are saying, I just don't think we've had a time where two teams were clearly that much better/bigger as the two are now. And with the addition of more money next season, they can also both have their pick of any player in the league, which again I dont necessarily think has been the case so much before. The McNamee signing is a perfect example.

I don't think either club is that far ahead of Shamrock Rovers and I think Derry would have been up there if it wasn't for their misfortunes. I feel that Rovers will be challenging next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ogbene back to Cork

Could happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

2009 2010 if I remember correctly Rovers and Bohs were fairly far ahead of the rest of the league, that didn't last too long.
    As shown by Finn last season they don't have their pick of any player in the league either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Reports that the guys looking at investing in Dundalk want to build a 7,500 seater stadium at Oriel

Reports that the guys looking at investing in Dundalk want to build a 7,500 seater stadium at Oriel

Imagine they built a roof on the away section. #DareToDream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Personally I don't think Derry will be competing at the top next season. I can see 4th being our target.

Cork and Dundalk are on a different level, and they will likely pinch at least one more of our top players before the season starts. Players we will struggle to replace.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Derry will be competing at the top next season. I can see 4th being our target.

Cork and Dundalk are on a different level, and they will likely pinch at least one more of our top players before the season starts. Players we will struggle to replace.

Curtis will probably go abroad to England.

If Dundalk get US investment they will probably make an offer Derry can't refuse for McEneff.

I think English clubs will look at McDermott too. Could be a difficult season for Derry next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I just hate this type of talk, it actually gives me shivers. I know theres nothing confirmed but I hope these Dundalk lads know what they are doing, because it all sounds oh so familiar.

Anyway, beyond delighted with McNamee signing, Id put him as a much better player than Buckley, the thoughts of McNamee sitting in front of Morrissey and McCormack with Sheppard and Sadlier on the wings is unreal. If we manage to get a proper striker and a couple of CB's we will already have a team capable of retaining the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I get what ye are saying, I just don't think we've had a time where two teams were clearly that much better/bigger as the two are now.

Bohs/Shels in the early 2000s when they won 6 leagues in a row between them and many of the cups. Also some big results in Europe.

Bohs/Rovers in late 2000s when they won 4 in a row and were miles ahead of the rest of the league on points.

Dundalk/Cork clearly been the best 2 sides the past 4 years, but they're not that much bigger/better than the above examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah if we lose those 4, plus Nicky Low has already gone, we are buggered.

The Americans will be here solely to take money out of Dundalk, how as ever it sounds like this is their bread and butter so they will be looking to make Dundalk into a profitable business as opposed to the usual gamble clueless owners make.

Amirani wrote: »
    Bohs/Shels in the early 2000s when they won 6 leagues in a row between them and many of the cups. Also some big results in Europe.

Bohs/Rovers in late 2000s when they won 4 in a row and were miles ahead of the rest of the league on points.

Dundalk/Cork clearly been the best 2 sides the past 4 years, but they're not that much bigger/better than the above examples.

I think the money coming in from Europe now is far bigger and makes moreof a difference.

Omackeral wrote: »

:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Omackeral wrote: »

Id say a roof is the last thing the away section needs, Terracing needs done first! If ya want a roof go to the stand.

Bray, Pats (unless they open the Shed if you have a good away crowd), Bohs (Half the stand) all have open away terracing!

Even Tallaght/Croke Park etc Stands only cover half the seats!

Bohs won the league with 86 points, I thought City would break that record this year but they didn't and that shows how strong that Bohs team really was.

When Bohs and Shels were winning the leagues in those years wasn't the prizemoney €400k for winning the league?

Dundalk probably could have signed who they wanted last season, but the owners increased the wage money by 10%. Full stop.

When Bohs and Shels won the league players were on €180k wages a year. Mad.
    Result: both will be sharing a DCC owned ground in the near future. European money talks - but it also walks if clubs let it.

Heard last year Dundalk were looking for an 7/8000 all seater, but were looking for €4m from the FAI, €4m from sports grants and they would fund the €8m difference. I chalked it off as fantasy.

The Americans will be here solely to take money out of Dundalk, how as ever it sounds like this is their bread and butter so they will be looking to make Dundalk into a profitable business as opposed to the usual gamble clueless owners make.

You don't generally get rich by giving/throwing away money, so I'm in agreement on first sentence. Think the Dundalk owners are pretty savvy, but a lot aren't.

Looking fron the outside, it would appear getting into Europe is pretty easy from the LOI ( we know it's not) while much bigger/ better teams from the EPL can't qualify because the same 5/6 qualify every year. So it might tempt someone to take a punt (fwiw I think the Waterford owner said as much)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bohs won the league with 86 points, I thought City would break that record this year but they didn't and that shows how strong that Bohs team really was.

When Bohs and Shels were winning the leagues in those years wasn't the prizemoney €400k for winning the league?

Dundalk probably could have signed who they wanted last season, but the owners increased the wage money by 10%. Full stop.

When Bohs and Shels won the league players were on €180k wages a year. Mad.
    Result: both will be sharing a DCC owned ground in the near future. European money talks - but it also walks if clubs let it.

Heard last year Dundalk were looking for an 7/8000 all seater, but were looking for €4m from the FAI, €4m from sports grants and they would fund the €8m difference. I chalked it off as fantasy.

Salford in UK (Class of 92's team) have built a new 5000 all seater stadium for £5 Million, You think ours will cost €16Millionn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

McNamee is a great signing for Cork, will be interesting to see who else they bring in this winter. Wonder will the likes of Curtis, McDermott & McEneff all leave Derry too.

Can see why some investors might take a punt on Dundalk or an Irish team, if a team were to get to the Champions League group stages they would stand to make €15m even if they lost every game in the group stage according to this. TV money would be on top of that then but no idea how much that would come in at. Europa League then you are talking minimum of €3m, that is again not factoring in winning any games or any TV money. You can see why an investor might be interested, it would be great for the league if it did happen, but we have seen it go wrong too many times to be anything other than wary of situations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Alan Bennett got a 2 year deal and he will combine it with working with the underage set up

Salford in UK (Class of 92's team) have built a new 5000 all seater stadium for £5 Million, You think ours will cost €16Millionn :rolleyes:

Dalymount 10,000 all seater €20m at last year's prices
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/dublin-city-council-unveil-plan-for-redeveloped-dalymount-1.2523069

Scaled back since to 16,000 all seater and delayed by another year?

Figure I heard for Oriel was ballpark €16m, but that seems excessive.

How much did the YDC cost?

Cost of redeveloping Brandywell and it looks like capacity is under 4,000?

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/derry-city/derry-city-stands-by-council-on-brandywell-redevelopment-1-7697455

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Ogbene back to Cork

Forgot he left. Got very little coverage on here at the time.

Id say a roof is the last thing the away section needs, Terracing needs done first! If ya want a roof go to the stand.

Sound, and an extra 5 euro (10 euro if the little man is with me) for the pleasure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What Derry player has moved South and been a success? Would be good to see some follow suit and try it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement