Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dfx- wrote: »
    What Derry player has moved South and been a success? Would be good to see some follow suit and try it.

Patrick McEleney, the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Colm Horgan to Cork City, 2 year deal. Full back I believe but cant say I know much about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

seen Horgan a few times. He is an ok full back.

Ogbene destroyed him for pace a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

CHealy wrote: »
    Colm Horgan to Cork City, 2 year deal. Full back I believe but cant say I know much about him.

Full back covered with him and Toby - wonder does this mean beatties off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Horgan has had a poor season and a half for us. He was excellent in our promotion season and first half of our first season up but has dropped a level since, don't think being captain helped this season. Full time set up and no captaincy may bring him back to his previous form.

Rory Hale gone to Derry too. He was excellent since he came in for us. Good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Horgan has had a poor season and a half for us. He was excellent in our promotion season and first half of our first season up but has dropped a level since, don't think being captain helped this season. Full time set up and no captaincy may bring him back to his previous form.

Rory Hale gone to Derry too. He was excellent since he came in for us. Good signing.

Murray to Sligo apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hale is an excellant player. Nice signing for Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

pjohnson wrote: »
    Murray to Sligo apparently.

Vinny is supposedly leaving the country so that would be a big signing if we can complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oat23 wrote: »
    Vinny is supposedly leaving the country so that would be a big signing if we can complete it.

Damn I assumed we'd be reverting back to Vinny and Enda again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

As for your "pre contract fee due to Dundalk" talk, you cant be that niave surely?

Looks like you were right. It'll be Sheppard that broke his contract so he might be libel, Cork in the clear.

Good manager or not, that's surprisingly stupid by Kenny. It just suggests he doesn't know what a personal attack is. Caulfield didn't get personal at all, he spoke exclusively about what Kenny said rather than the man himself. It wasn't ad hominem or abusive or insulting in any way. His employers should talk to him and tell him he's a fine manager, but it's time to drop this one.

And yet again Kenny makes it personal.

He seems to be very easy to wind up. Managers will have spats, it was a bad tackle/it was an honest challenge, they're getting the breaks with refs/no we're not, they are etc. etc. But not Kenny, eventually he goes with the laughable "he's a bad bad man" stuff...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1109/918812-kenny-hits-out-at-completely-out-of-order-caulfield/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

And yet again Kenny makes it personal.

He seems to be very easy to wind up. Managers will have spats, it was a bad tackle/it was an honest challenge, they're getting the breaks with refs/no we're not, they are etc. etc. But not Kenny, eventually he goes with the laughable "he's a bad bad man" stuff...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1109/918812-kenny-hits-out-at-completely-out-of-order-caulfield/

Can't see how Caulfield accusing Kenny of lying isn't making it personal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

In fairness, Caulfield reminds of when Father Ted won the golden cleric award. Enjoy your brilliant season and stop the petty attempts at point scoring ffs. Kenny just as bad for mouthing off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I never remember Kenny before coming out with the kind of stuff he's come out with this season. If Caulfield had said the stuff he's said, he'd be jumped on here, not sure why his statements aren't taken the same. From tayto bag-gate to this kind of stuff. Caulfield says silly stuff, Kenny says silly stuff but Kenny's seem to be downplayed for whatever reason. I think he needs to take losing the league and cup a lot better tbh. A lot of decent football people at a proper football club like Dundalk wouldn't be too enamored with some of his stuff this season I would say.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Can't see how Caulfield accusing Kenny of lying isn't making it personal?

But he didn't say Kenny was a liar at all. He could be just wrong. Caulfield said it didn't happen, and that's perfectly possible, that someone else made the call.

Kenny chose to interpret it as an attack on his honesty to justify his latest bout of whining. He was spanked, time to pull up his pants and dry his tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Oat23 wrote: »

Makes sense for Murray to go to ye, he's running his business up in Mayo so he doesn't want to be far from that, the only thing is he has said he would give England another go so that would be the only other obvious option.

Looks like you were right. It'll be Sheppard that broke his contract so he might be libel, Cork in the clear.

That would be on Mr. Sheppard as you said, Im just happy he's signed up for the next two years because I wasnt happy that he was gone at one stage.

On the statement from Kenny last night, I genuinely think the man is having some sort of breakdown, the way he uses "a message to Dundalk fans" to lose his mind is a bit of a red flag but once again no one in the media will call him out on it and he'll feel he is in the right. Theres a poster on CCFC Forum who was heavily involved in the setup of Foras and had gone up to Dundalk to help ye guys in 2012, and he made a great point when he said that Dundalk is a great LOI club with a great tradition and its just a good football town, but Stephen Kenny has let the place down big time in the last 2 weeks with the way he has handled everything, there was no need to come out publicly again last night, and obviously Im biased but its hard not to agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159462369710702&substory_index=0&id=20869165701

There was a fire to two portacabins in Dalymount last night 1 was the sweet shop the other was used as an office/security command by Garda. Both completely gutted.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/928925248019488769

will be a squad player but a surprising signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/928925248019488769

will be a squad player but a surprising signing.

What position is he - any good pats fans?

Striker, will be a replacement for Campion or Ellis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He is basically Cork signing players because they have money. At the end of a game they are losing, they will throw him on and lump.

That would be on Mr. Sheppard as you said, Im just happy he's signed up for the next two years because I wasnt happy that he was gone at one stage.

On the statement from Kenny last night, I genuinely think the man is having some sort of breakdown, the way he uses "a message to Dundalk fans" to lose his mind is a bit of a red flag but once again no one in the media will call him out on it and he'll feel he is in the right. Theres a poster on CCFC Forum who was heavily involved in the setup of Foras and had gone up to Dundalk to help ye guys in 2012, and he made a great point when he said that Dundalk is a great LOI club with a great tradition and its just a good football town, but Stephen Kenny has let the place down big time in the last 2 weeks with the way he has handled everything, there was no need to come out publicly again last night, and obviously Im biased but its hard not to agree with him.

Cork fans wanted Caulfield out a few years back for only finishing second and getting beaten in Iceland. I'm pretty sure Stephen Kenny will come back from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mmmmmmmm................

From the same SK article

“We are working hard in the off season to improve. It is going to be a dramatically different set up for us next year I feel. Behind the scenes there’s a lot of reasons to be excited and it’s going to be a great place to play football over the next few years.

just words on paper or is there something else going on?

He is a striker. Decent strength & pace.

Done nothing at Longford or Pat's. Very very strange signing even as a back up.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He is a striker. Decent strength & pace.

Done nothing at Longford or Pat's. Very very strange signing even as a back up.

He was actually decent enough at Pat's when he got on the pitch to replace Fagan, but he is literally an example of Cork throwing money at players just to show up at training.

No Dundalk fan has any problem at all with Kenny's statement. Kenny is no mug and you can be sure that a statement like that is calculated.

Like you say you're biased and have bought into the everyone against us, Caulfield has been peddling for past few years. If you look back at previous periods of success for Cork, under Richardson, Dolan etc they played the same game. Ridden rock solid etc etc....

EVERY one of your players came out fighting in any interviews post league and cup. Fair play to Caulfield this year, i still think he's a rubbish manager but he can certainly galvanise and motivate players and sometimes that's enough.

monkey9 wrote: »
    He was actually decent enough at Pat's when he got on the pitch to replace Fagan, but he is literally an example of Cork throwing money at players just to show up at training.

I dont get this, do people think Cork City have millions to go around sweeping up every player in the league? Cause I can tell you its not the case. O'Hanlon will replace Campion or Ellis, both of whom are not good enough and Caulfield has obviously seen something in O'Hanlon to say he now warrants a chance above one of them. I can guarantee he's not on a big wage and will be a direct replacement. The joys of being a fan owned club is that the finances are 100% transparent to members, and John Caulfield is given a budget and that will not be broken.

• Advertisement

No Dundalk fan has any problem at all with Kenny's statement. Kenny is no mug and you can be sure that a statement like that is calculated.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I dont get this, do people think Cork City have millions to go around sweeping up every player in the league? Cause I can tell you its not the case. O'Hanlon will replace Campion or Ellis, both of whom are not good enough and Caulfield has obviously seen something in O'Hanlon to say he now warrants a chance above one of them. I can guarantee he's not on a big wage and will be a direct replacement. The joys of being a fan owned club is that the finances are 100% transparent to members, and John Caulfield is given a budget and that will not be broken.
    Campion is better than O Hanlon though. Mad signing.

Ok fair enough. Cork are swapping one player not good enough for another player not good enough. I don't know the ins and outs of Cork and i appreciate that you do.

But Cork really must be paying him a load to go down there to waste his season by scraping double figure appearances if even that? What he does at Cork next year isn't going to attract offers from England.

Like you say you're biased and have bought into the everyone against us, Caulfield has been peddling for past few years. If you look back at previous periods of success for Cork, under Richardson, Dolan etc they played the same game. Ridden rock solid etc etc....

EVERY one of your players came out fighting in any interviews post league and cup. Fair play to Caulfield this year, i still think he's a rubbish manager but he can certainly galvanise and motivate players and sometimes that's enough.

Proven nonsence.

Proven nonsence.

Is it? Be honest, if you had the opportunity would you sack Buckley in the morning and bring Caulfield in, with the same wage budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its not like Cork are buying huge upgrades either. 2 decent signings but they still need 3-4 good names.

Whats wrong with getting players in early?

Must Cork say sorry for trying think forward?

Its not like Cork are buying huge upgrades either. 2 decent signings but they still need 3-4 good names.

Whats wrong with getting players in early?

Must Cork say sorry for trying think forward?

McNamee is a quality signing but neither of the others would be much of an improvement on what is already at Cork. Aaron Barry will be a good replacement however for Deleney should he sign.

Is it? Be honest, if you had the opportunity would you sack Buckley in the morning and bring Caulfield in, with the same wage budget?

No i wouldn't replace Bucko with Caulfield at all. It just wouldn't fit.

And now you've made me think, Caulfield is still far from a rubbish manager, but he could just be one of those who if he left Cork his best chance of success would be to guide the likes of Limerick and Waterford up to the top division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Corholio wrote: »
    Didn't see all of it but I don't think the 9 o clock news on RTE even mentioned the final tomorrow.
    Ok fair enough. Cork are swapping one player not good enough for another player not good enough. I don't know the ins and outs of Cork and i appreciate that you do.

But Cork really must be paying him a load to go down there to waste his season by scraping double figure appearances if even that? What he does at Cork next year isn't going to attract offers from England.

Doubt he's on big money. If he's not up to it he will be moved on like other players Caulfield has brought in previously. Time will tell re attracting offers from England. I'd argue he will progress more after one year at City than Pat's if he is at the level.

• Advertisement

Seen Aaron Barry 4-5 times last season.

Not convinced by him. Good reader of the game but can be bullied & has not got great pace either but playing alongside Bennett should improve him.

Good signings by Cork so far but nothing that makes me think they will be strong favourites for the league.
    For Derry it is vital they keep McEneff. Keeping Curtis wouls be huge too but unlikely. Cole was a good signing at them at CB & Hale is an excellent signing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Theres a poster on CCFC Forum who was heavily involved in the setup of Foras and had gone up to Dundalk to help ye guys in 2012, and he made a great point when he said that Dundalk is a great LOI club with a great tradition and its just a good football town, but Stephen Kenny has let the place down big time in the last 2 weeks with the way he has handled everything, there was no need to come out publicly again last night, and obviously Im biased but its hard not to agree with him.
    His name was Sean wasn't it? I remember that night well. He spoke very well and was a really friendly guy. Completely wrong with regards to his opinion on Stephen Kenny of course but a good guy nonetheless.

After all the doom and gloom that had surrounded the club for so many years beforehand I remember leaving that meeting with a spring in my step. Anyway back on topic and I will put your mind at ease by exclusively revealing that the Dundalk manager is not having a breakdown. He is at home in Donegal plotting as we speak. Enjoy your time as champions because the Lilywhites shall reclaim their rightful place at the top of the Irish football tree in 2018. Can't wait.

Pighead wrote: »
    His name was Sean wasn't it? I remember that night well. He spoke very well and was a really friendly guy. Completely wrong with regards to his opinion on Stephen Kenny of course but a good guy nonetheless.

Thats the guy, we are lucky to have him involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Waterford fans thoughts on Akinade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought he was fairly average. Hard working but limited technically. Have fond memories of him scoring against Shams just after coming on in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

AGC wrote: »

Is there even any Waterford fans on here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

AGC wrote: »

Is he confirmed?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is he confirmed?

Seems to be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Presumably must be money or longer contract? Didn't see a reason for him to be unhappy or 'unsettled' at Bohs. Or did Bohs commit to Corcoran...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

dan1895 wrote: »
    Is there even any Waterford fans on here?

We exist :D A minority are unhappy, I don’t think the majority the will care as long as he performs to be honest

dfx- wrote: »
    Presumably must be money or longer contract? Didn't see a reason for him to be unhappy or 'unsettled' at Bohs. Or did Bohs commit to Corcoran...

Don't think he can be on any professional contract due to his status.

Surprising move, owes Bohs a lot for standing by him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement