Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'm not sure why Cork fans are getting so excited. Since Maguire left Dundalk were 11 points better. McNamee is a class signing but will he win Cork 11 more points? I still think they are at least three quality signings from being dominant next year otherwise Dundalk and possibly Rovers will be at least on a level footing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Cork fans are getting so excited. Since Maguire left Dundalk were 11 points better. McNamee is a class signing but will he win Cork 11 more points? I still think they are at least three quality signings from being dominant next year otherwise Dundalk and possibly Rovers will be at least on a level footing

But when he left, City literally had no striker. City will go across the water and get an actual striker, something we certainly did not have since Maguire left, hence the 11 points. City have held onto a lot of players, signed some good ones and are far from finished, especially with regards to a foward.

Also thinking Rovers will be on a similar footing to City....been hearing that for a few years now, the league table doesn't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

doncarlos wrote: »

Silly comment, no squad is finalised yet how can we possibly know who's going to do what. Based on what City have done so far, im incredibly excited, but of course it depends on who we get in as a striker, its literally all hinging on that. Lets not forget that it was Caulfield who went out and got Maguire from the stands in Dundalk, that signing worked like a dream for both parties, im confident we'll find someone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Lets shut down this thread until Feb so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Waterford linked to Baulk now.

Hopefully they are not overspending hoping for Europe like Bray. Although crowds should be very good next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

MD1990 wrote: »
    Waterford linked to Baulk now.

Hopefully they are not overspending hoping for Europe like Bray. Although crowds should be very good next season
    No fear of Waterford there, they got fantastic attendance last season. If they get results then it'll only improve, won't end up like Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hearing rumblings over on the Waterford FC thread of a boycott by their fans and a picket at their first home game. Some fans put out as they believe the club signed Akinade weeks ago but waited until after season tickets were on sale to announce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dan1895 wrote: »
    Hearing rumblings over on the Waterford FC thread of a boycott by their fans and a picket at their first home game. Some fans put out as they believe the club signed Akinade weeks ago but waited until after season tickets were on sale to announce.

If true that is disgusting behaviour, sign a player who you know some fans will not be happy about but delay announcement until you got their money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If true that is disgusting behaviour, sign a player who you know some fans will not be happy about but delay announcement until you got their money

I think the disgusting behaviour is signing a rapist.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I think the disgusting behaviour is signing a rapist.

To be fair both aspects are beyond disgusting. I still dont understand how anyone thought it was a good idea to bring him to the club, talk about killing any positive community/family vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Buyer beware! I remember toiling with the idea of buying a CCFC season ticket in the aftermath of the Setanta cup victory in 2008. Thankfully I didn't and gave very little money to Tom Coughlan for the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Buyer beware! I remember toiling with the idea of buying a CCFC season ticket in the aftermath of the Setanta cup victory in 2008. Thankfully I didn't and gave very little money to Tom Coughlan for the coming season.
    Not really a case of buyer beware though. Should we all hold off on buying tickets until squads are completed on the off chance our club is signing a rapist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Waterford fans have waited so long for top flight football that they will park their morals on this issue and go to all the matches following a period of chest beating

Not really a case of buyer beware though. Should we all hold off on buying tickets until squads are completed on the off chance our club is signing a rapist?

The rumour linking Akinade to Waterford was out there since the start of October. Thankfully there is only one of him and he can only sign for one club.

No fear of Waterford there, they got fantastic attendance last season. If they get results then it'll only improve, won't end up like Bray.

I was at many of the Waterford games I know crowds were good.

Always a fear of overspending in LOI.

Reynolds could get found out in the Premier. Too much hoofball last season for my liking.

Hery should be a huge help though.

• Advertisement

The rumour linking Akinade to Waterford was out there since the start of October. Thankfully there is only one of him and he can only sign for one club.
    There were also rumours he'd join other clubs. Fans of those clubs will have bought season tickets too.

We've signed Adam Wixted from Drogheda. Is he any good? I've never actually heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We've signed Adam Wixted from Drogheda. Is he any good? I've never actually heard of him.

Remember him from our playoffs against them, looked very decent then (admittedly not against top opposition :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Some lads on YBIG saying that Ogbene is on trial with Chelsea U.23s?! Any truth in this? Good player who could well end up in England but surely he is not up to scratch for that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Some lads on YBIG saying that Ogbene is on trial with Chelsea U.23s?! Any truth in this? Good player who could well end up in England but surely he is not up to scratch for that level.

Yup currently over on loan with them. With Chelsea though they'll send him straight back out on loan over to a European team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Not yet, but in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Has talent but is inconsistent - just hope the chips are never down for your team because he sure as hell won't put his foot in for you.

Unless McDonald gets some good signings in England which he has failed to do so far.
    Limerick could be in big trouble next season.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Unless McDonald gets some good signings in England which he has failed to do so far.
    Limerick could be in big trouble next season.

My odds on favourites for the drop, we barely survived this season and even if we signed up the same team again next year that wouldn't be enough to survive imo given Waterford have cash to throw around and Sligo will improve so unless he's bringing a team of players home with him that are better than what we have we'll be going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I wish Dunphy would shut up.

Heard that the Dundalk takeover will mean moving to a greenfield site as Oriel is not suitable - access wise- for a modern stadium

I have mixed views on that,love Oriel bad as it is, but times move on.

And the club have a lot of investment in nearby properties ( YDC and the grass pitch behind Oriel)

My odds on favourites for the drop, we barely survived this season and even if we signed up the same team again next year that wouldn't be enough to survive imo given Waterford have cash to throw around and Sligo will improve so unless he's bringing a team of players home with him that are better than what we have we'll be going down.

What is happening next year ?
    Is it one up/one down or one up/one down and a playoff?

joeysoap wrote: »
    What is happening next year ?
    Is it one up/one down or one up/one down and a playoff?

Haven't a clue, would need to be one up/ one down and a playoff or two up/ two down. FAI will write a few suggestions down on a bit of paper and pull it out of a hat sometime in January to decide what it should be.

Haven't a clue, would need to be one up/ one down and a playoff or two up/ two down. FAI will write a few suggestions down on a bit of paper and pull it out of a hat sometime in January to decide what it should be.
    The purchase of a hat is beyond what the FAI are willing to invest in the league. We're lucky to have the bits of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

They'll decide the day before the league starts. Absolute joke that clubs don't know the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I wish Dunphy would shut up.

Heard that the Dundalk takeover will mean moving to a greenfield site as Oriel is not suitable - access wise- for a modern stadium

I have mixed views on that,love Oriel bad as it is, but times move on.

And the club have a lot of investment in nearby properties ( YDC and the grass pitch behind Oriel)

Club don't own the grass pitch as far as i know its owned by the local school and the club have an arrangement to use it

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Club don't own the grass pitch as far as i know its owned by the local school and the club have an arrangement to use it

Did Mathews try to buy this previously?

D14Rugby wrote: »

That’s the Grammar school one behind the Carrick Road goals,which they appear to have the use of. The club own Hiney Park which is kind of at an angle behind the youth centre. The entrance is at the youth centre. Full pitch.

The club don’t own Oriel. Rented from the Casey family who have been associated with the club for................ well probably forever

Did Mathews try to buy this previously?

I think it was a different owner who bought Hiney Park, the Grammar school own the pitch on the Carrick Road end

Might have to take that back :(

Looks like they sold it in 2015

Confess I thought they owned it, I understood it to be two different properties

https://talkofthetown.ie/former-dundalk-fc-owned-hiney-park-set-to-be-sold-at-auction/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Talk of young Irish defender Toner signing for Rovers from Villa, be a good signing. Also Hoban expected to be announced as a Dundalk player this week.

justshane wrote: »
    Also Hoban expected to be announced as a Dundalk player this week.

Wonder did Hoban drop his ridiculous wage demands or did Dundalk meet them?

Ronan Murray also expected to be announced by Dundalk, going mad City didnt get him seeing as we have next to no strikers, he'll do well.

Afaik Hoban originally asked for mad money, soon dropped this to what Dundalk were offering but a medical showed an injury that would mean 8 weeks out, so no signing last year. Kenny says he will talk to Benson and McMillan when they return from abroad (holidays). St Johnstone apparently saying Benson is overpricing himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers releasing Madden is bizarre. One of the best full backs in the league and has been with them for a long time. Cork and Dundalk are well stocked at right back so doubt he will be moving to a better team. Rovers must have someone lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rovers releasing Madden is bizarre. One of the best full backs in the league and has been with them for a long time. Cork and Dundalk are well stocked at right back so doubt he will be moving to a better team. Rovers must have someone lined up.

From reading elsewhere it looks like his contract was up so they didnt quite release him (from what I can gather anyway)

• Advertisement

Madden was terrific at Dundalk but McCaffrey released him and Keith Ward. :((Overall, Madden played every second of the club’s 66 competitive games after signing, ). Says it all.

Dundalk released McCaffrey 6 months later and Darius kept us in the premier division. That was in 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We have signed Ryan Brennan from Bray. Bermo, Conan Byrne and Graham Kelly have signed back for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

A decision that will no doubt come back to haunt us :mad:

A decision that will no doubt come back to haunt us :mad:
    It's not a decision. He hasn't been released. His contract has expired, he's obviously been offered a better deal and shams want to make it seem like they wanted him gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

kksaints wrote: »
    We have signed Ryan Brennan from Bray. Bermo, Conan Byrne and Graham Kelly have signed back for next season.

Thomas byrne drogheda heading to pats i believe.

Derry offering McEleney 4 year contract? Derry to be fair always gave longer contracts (and reaped the rewards on transfer market)

Rovers were keen on Gannon I believe.

• Advertisement

Dundalk could be announcing Murray & Hoban tommorow with the new kit launch.

Good signings but I would think Hoban may need time to hit form confidence must be very low.

Derry offering McEleney 4 year contract? Derry to be fair always gave longer contracts (and reaped the rewards on transfer market)

Rovers were keen on Gannon I believe.

This story was going around earlier in the week and proven to be untrue. Mc Eleney will be going across the pond by the looks of things.

McMillian an even bigger loss for Dundalk than McEleney.

Losing both would be very difficult to replace. McGrath shown flashes but both McGrath & Connolly need to improve next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

McEleney did have talks with us, but I think he's likely off to England.

There are rumours Rovers are after our young rb McDermott. Excellent player. U21 international. Would hate to see him leave.

Madden was great with us back in the day, strange to let him go. A quality player.

NIMAN wrote: »
    McEleney did have talks with us, but I think he's likely off to England.

There are rumours Rovers are after our young rb McDermott. Excellent player. U21 international. Would hate to see him leave.

Madden was great with us back in the day, strange to let him go. A quality player.

I'm sure Rovers are interested.

When McDermott leaves it will probably be to an English club also I can't see Rovers & Derry agreeing a fee.

Madden looked a liability against Duffy in the 3 games vs Dundalk near the end of the season. May have caused Bradley to think he is past his best.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement