Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I see the Dundalk takeover by Peak 6 is now a 100% takeover according to the Independent. Start getting ready now Dundalk fans, get yourselves in order to set up a trust and become known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

eire4 wrote: »
    Good move certainly from Bohemians point of view on first glance. It will be interesting with these kind of moves appearing more ( St Joseph's and Bray Wanderers) now who will court a partnership with Belvedere.

St Pats are in a partnership with Belvedere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Finally agreed a format at least (how this wasn't done with the decision to cut teas i don't know)
    36 premier games
    27 D1 starting a week later and no mid week - short but probably correct.

Happy with playoffs to 4th in D1 but the format is either dragged out or a little unfair, 3rd v 4th, winner v 2nd, winner v 9th prem all over 2 legs. Potentially lucrative if you were 3rd/4th and come through but possibly 6 games in 3 weeks for a part time team.

**** having to worry about the first division again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

overshoot wrote: »
    Finally agreed a format at least (how this wasn't done with the decision to cut teas i don't know)
    36 premier games
    27 D1 starting a week later and no mid week - short but probably correct.

Happy with playoffs to 4th in D1 but the format is either dragged out or a little unfair, 3rd v 4th, winner v 2nd, winner v 9th prem all over 2 legs. Potentially lucrative if you were 3rd/4th and come through but possibly 6 games in 3 weeks for a part time team.

**** having to worry about the first division again

Those first division play offs sound like the Labours of Hercules. It would have to be a really poor Premier team that wouldn't beat a first division team after playing all those games.

****ing hate mid week fixtures. Also 4 rounds of fixtures is such a pain.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Those first division play offs sound like the Labours of Hercules. It would have to be a really poor Premier team that wouldn't beat a first division team after playing all those games.
    Well the clubs who spearheaded the reduction to 10 were trying their best to separate the haves and have nots.

I'll assume it will be a drawn out format, 9 extra games in the premier, starts one week earlier so unless there is a lot of mid week games a lot of weeks between seasons end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

St Pats are in a partnership with Belvedere
    Ahh thats right I completely forgot about that.

Cabinteely sign Drogheda keeper Stephen McGuinness. Very good signing for Cabinteely, still only 22 and has 101 league appearances (77 PD, 24 FD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Corholio wrote: »

To be fair they sacrifice freshness for money. More play off games equals more money for a struggling team in the first division.

Its really much how uefa has worked to make qualification harder for smaller nations, extra money dripped down to the smaller clubs but they miss out on the much larger/increasing pot at the top.
    No reason the 9th premier team should have an advantage and go straight to the final. There's 4 teams, should have simply been 2 semis 2nd v 4th, 3rd v 9th.

Anyway... David O'Sullivan leaving longford... cabo too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I agree with overshoot 2 H/A semis all that’s required.

Also 10 teams in each division = 36 matches in both divisions.

As it is the 3rd/4th teams could possibly have 33 matches but if it’s for revenue gathering then everybody playing 36 matches is fairer. .

The bottom 8 clubs only play 27 matches and possibly only 13 home gates.

Contrast with the premier div where every club has 18 home matches.

* there’s going to be a lot of traveling for Cobh, Harps and Wexford next season with not a lot of reward.
    IMO the affiliation fee should be nominal for the 1st division,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Aston Villa rumoured to be interested in Ogbene.

If he does leave be interesting to see what kind of fee Limerick can get for him since he has a year left.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Aston Villa rumoured to be interested in Ogbene.

If he does leave be interesting to see what kind of fee Limerick can get for him since he has a year left.

Very interested to see what happens there aswell, given my understanding of UEFA rules, whatever fee Limerick agree, Cork City, Everton, Tramore and Kilreen schoolboy clubs here in Cork would be due a hefty cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

CHealy wrote: »
    Very interested to see what happens there aswell, given my understanding of UEFA rules, whatever fee Limerick agree, Cork City, Everton, Tramore and Kilreen schoolboy clubs here in Cork would be due a hefty cut.

Also had a spell with College Corinthians and rumoured to have had trials in Scotland last week. Is he devaluing himself by doing this I wonder?

I personally think Ogbene would be better off joining one of the big 2 or 3 in Ireland before going over to England & playing u23s football most likely.
    Apart from Maquire the Irish LOI players at Preston are struggling a bit.
    Scotland may be a better move for him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

overshoot wrote: »
    Anyway... David O'Sullivan leaving longford... cabo too?

Signed by Shels. A badly needed natural goal scorer. Hopefully he stays clear of injury.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Also had a spell with College Corinthians and rumoured to have had trials in Scotland last week. Is he devaluing himself by doing this I wonder?

Was he with Corinthians aswell? He got around alright.

I would say his agent would have setup numerous trials from him while in the UK over a 3 or 4 week period, that would be normal. All the best to him, my lasting memory of him would be how Roma didnt know how to handle him at the Cross last year in the Euro Youth League, he ran them all over that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Was he with Corinthians aswell? He got around alright.

I would say his agent would have setup numerous trials from him while in the UK over a 3 or 4 week period, that would be normal. All the best to him, my lasting memory of him would be how Roma didnt know how to handle him at the Cross last year in the Euro Youth League, he ran them all over that night.

Wasn't there that night but I believe some of his teammates were less than impressed with his unwillingness to pass the ball. Can't help but feel these trials are of more benefit to his agent than himself.

Anto Flood has signed for Dublin junior club Sheriff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've signed Dean Clarke from Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Kurtis Byrne has signed for Linfield. I taught he should have got more playing time with us last year. If your face doesn't fit with Buckley your off.

kksaints wrote: »
    We've signed Dean Clarke from Limerick.

Joke of a decision by Limerick to let Clarke leave

dan1895 wrote: »
    Signed by Shels. A badly needed natural goal scorer. Hopefully he stays clear of injury.
    That makes more sense, was just starting to get the impression Cabo was really going for it, so assumed them. Could be a very competitive first division yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kerin-departs/

Dundalk changing to morning training this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Benson has re-signed for Dundalk. Delighted with that as he's a quality player and would have been a massive loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I made the new Dundalk home kit for PES 2018, link in description

Ollie Horgan has signed a 2 year deal at harps with an option of a third...

I've heard rumours, but this is the first thing iv seen published. McCourt may be unleashed on the first division in a Player/Coach role.
    At the same time plenty of noise in goings, one decent coming back possibly... so god knows where we are at!

• Advertisement

Pats signed Dean Clarke & just announced Thomas Byrne.

Decent signings considering they have a reduced budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Strange decision by Drogheda to appoint a director of football who hasn't a notion about football. Once you get one job in the league it's impossible to not get another one no matter how badly you mess up your first.

Owen Cowzer reporting that Limerick are set to sign UCD defender Maxi Kouogun. Was very impressed with Kouogun when we played UCD in 2016, very good signing if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Owen Cowzer reporting that Limerick are set to sign UCD defender Maxi Kouogun. Was very impressed with Kouogun when we played UCD in 2016, very good signing if it happens.

That is a strange one, wasn't he linked with Dundalk last summer?

That is a strange one, wasn't he linked with Dundalk last summer?

Think there was some clubs linked to him alright but was still finishing off his degree, must have finished his degree in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Pats signed Dean Clarke & just announced Thomas Byrne.

Decent signings considering they have a reduced budget.

The budget is greater at the start of this season than it was at the start of last season. Money put in from July onwards is not being taken back (the money which got Killian, Garvan, Balk, O' Connor, Turner)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Great signings by the Saints today - Madden, Garvan and Killer Brennan! Getting excited for the new season now.

Karl Sheppard interview

https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/extended-interview-karl-sheppard-on-turning-down-dundalk

Sheppard not joining Dundalk because Kenny did not deny the Sheppard story. Also his situation with his girlfriend change at the same time as well.
    Strange situation. Most likely he he just got a pay rise at Cork.

Most likely he he just got a pay rise at Cork.

Of course he did, as did the majority of the double winning squad Id imagine. They'd be fools if they didnt negotiate.

Signing that pre season contract might cost him a few bob though.

Can’t recall the player but a Derry player had to pay Shelbourne €8000 about 10 years ago for breaking a pre season contract.

I believe Dundalk have taken legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

joeysoap wrote: »
    Signing that pre season contract might cost him a few bob though.

Can’t recall the player but a Derry player had to pay Shelbourne €8000 about 10 years ago for breaking a pre season contract.

I believe Dundalk have taken legal advice.

Apparently Dundalk didn't inform cork about the talks which is against the rules so the legal advice could have been drop it or they might push for a penalty for you which could be more severe than its worth

• Advertisement

IMO; Dundalk nor City need the aggravation, both have bigger things to be getting on with. So I would think both will be happy to let it go.

Hardest thing for both City and Dundalk will be to maintain the standard they have set over the past 4 years.

Karl Sheppard interview

https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/extended-interview-karl-sheppard-on-turning-down-dundalk

Sheppard not joining Dundalk because Kenny did not deny the Sheppard story. Also his situation with his girlfriend change at the same time as well.
    Strange situation. Most likely he he just got a pay rise at Cork.

I really don't see the benefit of that statement. Everyone had moved on and most had come out with a little bit of face and Sheppard comes out with that. Idiotic.

If he had of come out and said he loved Cork and didn't want to leave but his situation changed with his girlfriend wish Dundalk luck or some bollox he would have been better off. LOI circles are quite small and burning bridges is foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

doncarlos wrote: »
    I really don't see the benefit of that statement. Everyone had moved on and most had come out with a little bit of face and Sheppard comes out with that. Idiotic.

If he had of come out and said he loved Cork and didn't want to leave but his situation changed with his girlfriend wish Dundalk luck or some bollox he would have been better off. LOI circles are quite small and burning bridges is foolish.

Gowan away boi willa! He told the truth! Just cuz it doesn’t paint Saint Kenny in a good light isn’t burning his bridges! If you paid attention he said when he rang Kenny he understood and wasn’t upset towards him as Karl had expected! Yes the LOI circles are small and if Karl decides to move back closer to home at some point there will be no shortage of suitors!!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Gowan away boi willa! He told the truth! Just cuz it doesn’t paint Saint Kenny in a good light isn’t burning his bridges! If you paid attention he said when he rang Kenny he understood and wasn’t upset towards him as Karl had expected! Yes the LOI circles are small and if Karl decides to move back closer to home at some point there will be no shortage of suitors!!

He was the one that approached Dundalk, not the other way round. He very conveniently left that out. Plus I don't buy for a second that he moved all the way to Cork for a lot less money than he would get at Dundalk. The lad is a proven liar I'd struggle to trust anything in his statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He was the one that approached Dundalk, not the other way round. He very conveniently left that out. Plus I don't buy for a second that he moved all the way to Cork for a lot less money than he would get at Dundalk. The lad is a proven liar I'd struggle to trust anything in his statement

Proven liar?? Ha! Do tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

435619.pngThe new cork Jersey is lovely

Waterford have signed Corbett from UCD. Very good signing.

Sheppards agent would have put out the feelers to numerous clubs in the region that he was looking for a move closer to home, Dundalk would have taken it up. Standard football transfer business so lets not go about making it out that Sheppard was knocking on Kennys door personally.

Anyway, as I said at the time I would have been gutted to lose him and I dont care what kind of deal he brokered for himself, Im happy he's with us for the next 2 years and not Dundalk.

Sheppards agent would have put out the feelers to numerous clubs in the region that he was looking for a move closer to home, Dundalk would have taken it up. Standard football transfer business so lets not go about making it out that Sheppard was knocking on Kennys door personally.

Anyway, as I said at the time I would have been gutted to lose him and I dont care what kind of deal he brokered for himself, Im happy he's with us for the next 2 years and not Dundalk.
    Depends who you believe.

I would tend to believe Kenny
    Kenny said: "Karl Sheppard approached a member of our staff to say he was moving to Balbriggan and would we be interested in signing him.

“He's a good player. He can play in a number of positions. Negotiations were concluded quickly and a pre-contract agreement drawn up by the club’s solicitor in September.

"Karl travelled up to the City North Hotel to sign the pre-contract agreement. A pre-contract is a big commitment both ways.

It is obvious he just signed with whoever would pay him the most which is he has every right to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

435619.pngThe new cork Jersey is lovely

Nice enough kit, prefer the design on the Derry kit though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement