Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Depends who you believe.

I would tend to believe Kenny

It is obvious he just signed with whoever would pay him the most which is he has every right to do.

Translation: Sheppards agent who handles all his contract and transfer negotiations contacted club to tell them player was available if they so wish.

Being a member of Foras and knowing the finances at Cork City, I dont believe for a second City are paying him more than what Dundalk would have, and unfortunately (luckily?) for Dundalk thats just a small consequence of their great EL run and the common knowledge of the millions they made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    Translation: Sheppards agent who handles all his contract and transfer negotiations contacted club to tell them player was available if they so wish.

Being a member of Foras and knowing the finances at Cork City, I dont believe for a second City are paying him more than what Dundalk would have, and unfortunately (luckily?) for Dundalk thats just a small consequence of their great EL run and the common knowledge of the millions they made.

I dont know if he is being paid more than at Dundalk either but I certainly don't believe he is being paid less. I'm sure there is some other package available that made it worth his while to sign. Think about it would you really uproot and move yourself and your girlfriend to the other side of the country for a lot LESS money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Nice enough kit, prefer the design on the Derry kit though.

Plain but very stylish (as befits the champions!)

Hopefully the UCC logo on the front doesn't disappear after a few washes, like last year's did :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

doncarlos wrote: »
    I dont know if he is being paid more than at Dundalk either but I certainly don't believe he is being paid less. I'm sure there is some other package available that made it worth his while to sign. Think about it would you really uproot and move yourself and your girlfriend to the other side of the country for a lot LESS money.

Other side of the country?? It’s 2 hours away!!
    You make it sound like he’s moved from Sydney to Perth! He never said the City “package” was better or worse. He said he’s being paid LESS not hard to differentiate

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Other side of the country?? It’s 2 hours away!!
    You make it sound like he’s moved from Sydney to Perth! He never said the City “package” was better or worse. He said he’s being paid LESS not hard to differentiate

Well it is, if your total package includes bonuses, accommodation, expenses, car etc etc you're earning more.

Honest question, would you move to Dublin on a LOT less money as Sheppard claims he has???
    No LOI footballer is going to move to the other side of the country for a lot less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kenny lied about not mentioning the deal so that's quite hypocritical. Not a peep after Kenny's mad statement earlier this season and any sign of criticism of him it's jumped on. Imagine the actual players side of the story being told, there was loads of 'supposedly' crap on here when it was going on that painted it whatever light someone wanted to paint it in.

Well it is, if your total package includes bonuses, accommodation, expenses, car etc etc you're earning more.

Honest question, would you move to Dublin on a LOT less money as Sheppard claims he has???
    No LOI footballer is going to move to the other side of the country for a lot less money.

That’s not the question you should be asking tho.. The question should be.. if I was living in Dublin for two years in a job I loved where I’d loads of mates and was the best in the business, would I move to the second best company albeit for a higher wage when my miss’s has already agreed to move in with me and she was the only reason I thought about moving ever before money was mentioned!!
    The answer would be no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

McCourt signed up for next year with Harps. Class.
    Harkin, Coll & Blaney the only others we have signed up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dooley gone to Coleraine on a 6 month deal.

A loss for Cork but I think Sadlier is a better player.

• Advertisement

That’s not the question you should be asking tho.. The question should be.. if I was living in Dublin for two years in a job I loved where I’d loads of mates and was the best in the business, would I move to the second best company albeit for a higher wage when my miss’s has already agreed to move in with me and she was the only reason I thought about moving ever before money was mentioned!!
    The answer would be no!

So let me get this straight, you're saying, instead of providing financially for his girlfriend and child, he is dragging them across the country on a whole lot less money so he can play football for the current best team in the country and spend time with his loads of mates??

Do you genuinely believe that?

Dooley gone to Coleraine on a 6 month deal.

A loss for Cork but I think Sadlier is a better player.

Big loss. Always played well against Dundalk

So let me get this straight, you're saying, instead of providing financially for his girlfriend and child, he is dragging them across the country on a whole lot less money so he can play football for the current best team in the country and spend time with his loads of mates??

Do you genuinely believe that?
    You’re a great man to dodge points when you get found out!

You’re a great man to dodge points when you get found out!

Says the man who just dodged a direct question.

What point did I dodge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This Dundalk v Cork shyte is starting to sound as sad and pathetic as the United v Liverpool section of the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya might be an idea to start their own thread for their handbags ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ya might be an idea to start their own thread for their handbags ****e.

And do it quick before they go bankrupt again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Would an A Championship work nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Something is needed to bridge the gap between 19s and senior football, something is also needed to bridge the gap between new clubs who might want to join and the LOI. The A Championship capped at u21s for existing clubs with a maximum of 3 overage players and somewhere for teams that are involved in the underage national leagues to progress their players who finish with 19s and try to form a senior team.

Biggest killer is money. Couldn't see any first division clubs putting in an A team because they'd have very young squads as is, some clubs at the bottom of the premier might not fancy it like Limerick whose younger players will go into junior football as it's handy money and can pick up young players from the bigger clubs who might leave looking for game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Where has the limerick thread on foot.ie gone?

Certain someone probably throwing his toys out of the pram again, already threatened to sue whoever runs that site once so wouldn't surprise me if it's something to do with him. Other than that I haven't got a Scooby doo why it would be missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The mods might have moved it to the First Division. A sign of things to come perhaps...

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The mods might have moved it to the First Division. A sign of things to come perhaps...

No it's gone, but the lad running it seems to lock things if they go against the charter, I believe mentioning odds on a game is forbidden, and gets your post deleted

Cape Clear wrote: »
    You're not wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We have resigned Barry Murphy and Ian Turner. We have also signed James Doona from Shams.

Some good signings by Pat's. Should contend for Europe next year.

Galway have signed Connolly back & McCormack.
    They should have a strong squad for the 1st Division next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Chris Shields gone to Pats as well according to the League of Ireland banter page on facebook. Would be a great signing for them. Have never been impressed by Doona so don't think he is a major loss for Rovers.

Chris Shields gone to Pats as well according to the League of Ireland banter page on facebook. Would be a great signing for them. Have never been impressed by Doona so don't think he is a major loss for Rovers.

Shields signed back at Dundalk a 2 year deal.

Shocked Ian Turner managed to get another contract with a Premier team this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Shocked Ian Turner managed to get another contract with a Premier team this season.
    He is an average 1st division player. Cant see him getting much game time their especially with Doona joining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Must say I'm surprised aswell. He barely played for us in the 2nd half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some good signings by Pat's. Should contend for Europe next year.

Galway have signed Connolly back & McCormack.
    They should have a strong squad for the 1st Division next year.
    Delighted to have re-signed Ryan, was always excellent for us. McCormack should be filling his boots in the first too, did very well towards the end of last season for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

They used to say paper never refused ink......... but I don’t know the Facebook equivalent :)

Mountney re- signs for 2018. Thats 2/4 that SK was hoping to re- sign.

McEleney expected to join Oldham. McMillian to join St. Johnstone.
    Dundalk will need to make some more signings now.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalk-star-patrick-mceleney-set-for-oldham-move-36403568.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Johnny Dunleavy signs back with City for another year. For the lad himself, I really really hope that he gets a bit of luck this season and can see it out. Before the Limerick game last season, he was playing the best football Iv seen him play. We essentially lost three starters mid season, Maguire, O'Connor and Dunleavy. People forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

CHealy wrote: »
    Johnny Dunleavy signs back with City for another year. For the lad himself, I really really hope that he gets a bit of luck this season and can see it out. Before the Limerick game last season, he was playing the best football Iv seen him play. We essentially lost three starters mid season, Maguire, O'Connor and Dunleavy. People forget that.

He wont be ready till April iirc, I hope he gets luck as I'm surprised they gave him one as he's had 2/3 serious injuries...I'm assuming John Kavanagh wont be given one

I'm assuming John Kavanagh wont be given one

I wouldnt think so, another shame, he was being spouted for a move to England in 2014 until he got injured. We have had some brutal injuries in the last few years, Danny Morrissey another who had every chance until injury.

Connor Ellis has offers from Limerick and Waterford but I dont think Cork City have offered him anything, he's been disappointing aswell for a lad who was ripping the u19 league to shreds. Shows the size of the jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

• Advertisement

They also seem to have got foot.ie to shut down the Limerick forum, very productive

As mentioned wouldn't be surprised to see the dog signed up to play. The club taking their time to find the right players for next season's push at the FD title cause it's gonna be 2015 all over again except for no glimmer of hope in staying up like the end of that season.

Huge blow to Dalk!

Huge blow to Dalk!

Massive blow.

I think he has been underated over the years.

Imagine if we could hold onto players like Towell, Horgan, Maguire, O'Connor etc.............what a league we would have.

• Advertisement

They also seem to have got foot.ie to shut down the Limerick forum, very productive

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=970510529772950&id=279080658915944&fs=5

Wasn't the club. As I mentioned the other day a certain someone probably threw his toys out of the pram again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Massive blow.

I think he has been underated over the years.
    Took me a couple of years to warm to him but there's no doubting he has been immense for us and has proved to be a quality signing. Interesting to see how he gets on in the Scottish Premiership. St Johnstone have been struggling for goals this season so he should get a decent shot up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

He certainly owes Dundalk nothing. Terrific 100% player. Missing for the first 6 or so matches last season. Who knows what might have happened if he had been fit for those matches?

https://youtu.be/eqsH0P3BciY

Doesn’t include the goals against Rovers in the cup or league cup, which were decisive.

Good luck to him, he will be missed

Coincidence or what

David McMillan is 29 tomorrow
    Ronan Finn turned 29 the day after he left dundalk

Yep, full statement here.
    Limerick Forum Removed, Discussion Banned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pighead wrote: »
    Took me a couple of years to warm to him but there's no doubting he has been immense for us and has proved to be a quality signing. Interesting to see how he gets on in the Scottish Premiership. St Johnstone have been struggling for goals this season so he should get a decent shot up there.

Agreed - never seemed up to much at UCD. At the start he seemed the weak link in a couple of really great Dundalk sides, but he's come on a lot to be a top LOI player. Can see his style working out okay in Scotland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement