Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Looks like McEleney to Oldham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Only chance Limerick have not finishing last is if Bray somehow manage to get a Premier license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Linking The Sun. I guess Ill never know what the article says!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Only chance Limerick have not finishing last is if Bray somehow manage to get a Premier license.

It's a joke after what happened with them last season that the license situation has not been sorted yet. If they do go down does that mean Galway stay up and have to play in the PD with the 1D squad they are signing?

It'd be funny if it wasn't sad that we only had the format of the league confirmed a few weeks after teams started signing players and we still aren't even sure what teams will be playing.

Oat23 wrote: »
    It's a joke after what happened with them last season that the license situation has not been sorted yet. If they do go down does that mean Galway stay up and have to play in the PD with the 1D squad they are signing?

Yeah it's a joke it hasn't been sorted out yet with pre season starting in more or less 2/3 weeks time. Yeah if Bray fail to get a Premier license then Galway will take their place as they'll get a Premier license surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Kevin Toner signs a 2 year deal with Pats

Just seen the photo of him in jersey. Looks fairly out of shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

joeysoap wrote: »

Shouls target Forrester & see if he wants to come back. He may favour going back to Pat's.

Greene would be a good signing to replace McMillian. He has played on the wing mostly but at his best as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just don't get this?

He's swapping CL football to play in 3rd tier English football, and a team in the lower reaches of that league?

:confused:

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just don't get this?

He's swapping CL football to play in 3rd tier English football, and a team in the lower reaches of that league?

:confused:

Dundalk are in EL and even then they're only guaranteed two matches, if it was group stage you'd say something but the chances of Dundalk doing that again is slim.

At 25 this is probably his last chance to make it in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sad that we are losing probably the most talented player in the league but he will probably be on better money at Oldham and one good season with them and he could get a move to the Championship and an international call up (the North will probably even call him up if he is playing in L1). He has done all he can in this league and will always have it to fall back on, if bigger clubs aren't in for him now I can't see them being in for him in another year if he stayed at Dundalk.

• Advertisement

Dundalk offered him a contract and by all accounts Derry offered him a 4 year contract.

Bottom line is £2,500/£3,000 a week for say 2.5 years is attractive. Horgan, Boyle and Mcmilan all got 2.5 year contracts. (Finn got a 3 year contract with Rovers) I assume Seanie got a 2/3 year contract as he started in July?

Would Oldham really be paying 3k per week? I'd doubt it.

I think at 25 he is already past the age to be 'snapped up' by a bigger club than Oldham.

Afaik he is a bit of a homebird, so there is something to be said for earning a good wage and living at home, than dragging your family to England or living there on your own with your family back here.

Quality of life is sometimes more important than cash. He'd have another good 7 or 8 years of wages in the LoI, with the likelihood of European football for most of that time.

I'm standing by my point!! (he should have returned to us).

I think at 25 he is already past the age to be 'snapped up' by a bigger club than Oldham.

Afaik he is a bit of a homebird, so there is something to be said for earning a good wage and living at home, than dragging your family to England or living there on your own with your family back here.

Quality of life is sometimes more important than cash. He'd have another good 7 or 8 years of wages in the LoI, with the likelihood of European football for most of that time.

I would say he is on 2000 euro tops a week at Oldham.

He will still have that option in the next year or 2.

He probably wants to play well at Oldham & get spotted by a Championship club where he could earn very good wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Career as a professional footballer is a finite life. Even if he makes it into the Championship, he could begin to earn maybe 1k per week more. He has to take the shot at it. He's incredibly talented. Hope he flourishes.

Very talented indeed. LOI is poorer for losing him and Seanie etc but that’s the way it is. If Dundalk or City can’t keep real talent like that...........

Good luck to him at Oldham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

bot43 wrote: »
    Linking The Sun. I guess Ill never know what the article says!!

Luckily you broadcast that for us all to know... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork City fans very dissapointed to see McEleney go, it was great playing Dundalk with 10 men the last 2 years. ;)

McEleney will struggle in England. Can see him picking up too many injuries & may struggle with the physical approach in L1. He struggled against Cork's high intensity approach.

Hope I am wrong & he does well.

Luckily you broadcast that for us all to know... :rolleyes:

A Shel fan with a chip on his shoulder. Well I never.

Re McEleney - its a bad look for the league as a whole if one of its best players at the second best club in the league who have had more than their share of recent success is willing to exchange for a nothing mid table league 1 club in suburban Manchester.

But such is the LOI that he will be probably bebetter paid over there and gets to play in proper stadiums every week as opposed to what is on offer here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

bot43 wrote: »

But such is the LOI that he will be probably bebetter paid over there and gets to play in proper stadiums every week as opposed to what is on offer here.

Some good historical teams in the league aswell, be playing in Ewood park, the Valley, Fratton Park as opposed to some of the poorer grounds in this league.

Don't blame a player for wanting to go tbh. Sad though that the league is losing a player of his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

DvB wrote: »
    Kevin Toner signing being announced by Pats today.

good signing. shocked he couldn't get a club in England as he looked a talent anytime I saw him even in a poor Villa team. think he will do well at Pats

Simon Power UCD u19 joining Norwich.

Saw him a few times for UCD u19s very quick, likes cutting in from the left & getting shots off.

Be interesting to see how he gets on.

And now for something completely different

Dundalk deal with Chicago company ran into a few snags , but apparently nearly sorted now. Was even a chance they would play their home matches in Newry for a season ( this is not completely off the cards).

New stadium inside 2 years hopefully,

rumours going the rounds

McMillan on £6,000 a week at St Johnstone

McEleney offered €2,000 a week at Dundalk

Rovers Pats and Dundalk interested in Forrester

The FAI only gave Dundalk their final €3m this week.

How much is true..................

SK moving to Dundalk from Donegal (well, Blackrock to more precise)

I always take rumours with a pinch of salt, but have heard on good authority that SK has to relocate to Dundalk.

Family were very well settled in Inishowen too

Peterborough chairman has already said Forrester is staying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Limerick have a jersey sponsor, some Turkish betting site by the look of it

I hate gambling sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I doubt Dundalk will end up playing in Newry. Playing in the IFA’s jurdistriction is unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I doubt Dundalk will end up playing in Newry. Playing in the IFA’s jurdistriction is unlikely to happen.

I thought that too. Parking one of the main problems. United Park Drogheda also being considered. Big plans for Oriel by all accounts. Newry not ruled out ( it’s closer than Drogheda)

MD1990 wrote: »

It really is great to see this. Great to see LOI supporters wearing their clubs jerseys and jackets etc (and not the usual suspects from the EPL)

In all fairness to City their season tickets are very reasonably priced and deserve to sell well.

Patww79 wrote: »

Couldn’t see the GAA agreeing to that, Newry Towns (City ) ground is right beside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It really is great to see this. Great to see LOI supporters wearing their clubs jerseys and jackets etc (and not the usual suspects from the EPL)

In all fairness to City their season tickets are very reasonably priced and deserve to sell well.

Agree. Great to see around the town too.

• Advertisement

That statement is a bit of a smoke screen. The launch of the new gear was horrifically mismanaged. On launch day there were 49 kids shirts. 14 of which staff in the shop had squirrelled away. They ran out of XL within an hour so staff had to go down the queue taking names and numbers. Of course demand was going to be high this year. The PIC somehow didn’t realise this and we were left with an utterly farcical situation on launch day.

I thought that too. Parking one of the main problems. United Park Drogheda also being considered. Big plans for Oriel by all accounts. Newry not ruled out ( it’s closer than Drogheda)

Look forward to seeing these plans.

And them being carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

It's fantastic the way the cork community has taken to the club and I say that as a Waterford fan. We also exceeded demand for season tickets and had to issue a similar statement about Christmas deliveries.

Limerick have a jersey sponsor, some Turkish betting site by the look of it

Very dodgy by the looks of it...

Very dodgy by the looks of it...

The sponsorship or the betting company itself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes.

Yes.

So both?

Looks all grand to me. What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Patww79 wrote: »

bradleys running the twitter account today maybe? :)

The dodgy betting company which subsequently means the sponsorship.

The dodgy betting company which subsequently means the sponsorship.

I never heard of the company, are they dodgy because they are Turkish or is there links to dodgy stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

On the topic of Limerick FC, there's been a new forum set up elsewhere to cover up for the lack of one on Foot.ie - http://limerickchat.proboards.com/board/3/limerick-fc-chat

I never heard of the company, are they dodgy because they are Turkish or is there links to dodgy stuff?

Never heard of them either but I'd know gamblers from Eastern Europe and they have zero trust with Turkish bookies. Also it seems they're governed by Curacao license which in itself seems odd.

They also don't seem to mention IBAS or any other complaint boards nor are they listed on the IBAS website - so basically you don't have anyone to complain to independently which, well leaves them totally in control if they want to pay a 4/1 shot at 1/3 as it was a "palp".

All just seems very very suspect.

On the topic of Limerick FC, there's been a new forum set up elsewhere to cover up for the lack of one on Foot.ie - http://limerickchat.proboards.com/board/3/limerick-fc-chat

Can't see it lasting long. He who can't be named will sniff it out and get it shut down again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement