Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yay! Bray have no money!
    Don't think anyone is celebrating them going under if that's what you're getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

joeysoap wrote: »

nothing like a good pre season bleep test :D

Dundalk starting a bit late no? Rovers have been doing gym work since early/ mid December

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »

Dundalk starting a bit late no? Rovers have been doing gym work since early/ mid December

Sean Hoare “It’s a short pre-season when you think about it – it’s 5-6 weeks of training and then with the matches as well it will fly in.

That would suggest fairly recently

And
    Ronan Murray “I can’t wait for the games to get started. We have around two weeks of real conditioning now – running and in the gym.

Maybe Rovers started early?

I think the photos of the guy looking in the window are priceless (it’s in Oriel so he must have had access)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

CCFC gazumped by Dundalk for Danny Kane? Any Dundalk guys heard anything?
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Glad to see the be of you isn't ironically rabid for them to go under.

Sentences are difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think in general, that's the normal time frame. I know Pat's only started back on Tuesday anyway.

bot43 wrote: »
    CCFC gazumped by Dundalk for Danny Kane? Any Dundalk guys heard anything?

You mean Harry Kane ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

CCFC gazumped by Dundalk for Danny Kane?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CCFC gazumped by Dundalk for Danny Kane?

Nope he’s signed n all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Eastern European in training with us this week, Lativan or Lithuanian

3 signings expected to be announced this week according to local newspaper twitter reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dundalk sign Lithuanian international Karolis Chvedukas. Box to box midfielder. Interesting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk sign Lithuanian international Karolis Chvedukas. Box to box midfielder. Interesting one
    Very interesting. Has eighteen or nineteen caps as well and played for Lithuania as recently as October against England (albeit coming on late as a sub with a couple of minutes to go). Takeover all set to be announced towards the end of the week apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Lithuanian league isn't very good so I wouldn't be expecting him to play at a level similar to Mindaugas Kalonas or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Lithuanian league isn't very good so I wouldn't be expecting him to play at a level similar to Mindaugas Kalonas or anything.

Agreed but he's coming from the top team and he's constantly in the Lithuanian squads so I'm hopeful he has a bit about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Bit annoying having current international players as you lose them for a few games a year. We've had a few in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Eoin Wearen training with Limerick today, Bohs/Sligo fans what's yer opinions of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What happened re the Limerick forum over on foot.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bit annoying having current international players as you lose them for a few games a year. We've had a few in recent years.

If the player(s) in question are of superior standard, it’ll be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fullstop wrote: »
    What happened re the Limerick forum over on foot.ie?

The lad who works for the crowd that own the markets field had a pop off fans after the second last home game of the season against Drogheda using the market fields business Facebook page. He's an out and out rugby fan and didn't approve of a chant about Drogheda going down, that some people used naughty language or that Sean Russell was booed because in rugby that's frowned upon.

When people expressed their own opinion and didn't agree with his views he got pissy and at the final home game against Galway he approached certain fans and again had words with them, was more or less told go **** himself so he decided to throw the toys out of the pram and started threatening legal action against people and foot.ie as people were talking about him and what happened.

The lad who works for the crowd that own the markets field had a pop off fans after the second last home game of the season against Drogheda using the market fields business Facebook page. He's an out and out rugby fan and didn't approve of a chant about Drogheda going down, that some people used naughty language or that Sean Russell was booed because in rugby that's frowned upon.

When people expressed their own opinion and didn't agree with his views he got pissy and at the final home game against Galway he approached certain fans and again had words with them, was more or less told go **** himself so he decided to throw the toys out of the pram and started threatening legal action against people and foot.ie as people were talking about him and what happened.

Jesus, thats pretty embarrassing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Eastern European in training with us this week, Lativan or Lithuanian

3 signings expected to be announced this week according to local newspaper twitter reporter
    They better be good signings because what we have now is not nearly enough to mount a challenge this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

They better be good signings because what we have now is not nearly enough to mount a challenge this season.

???

It'll be Dundalk and City again no doubt about it, bookies have Dundalk as slight favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

George Kelly from UCD and a Swedish forward expected to sign for us in the next day or 2.

Centre back will be signed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rovers need a good signing but they have kept their best players unlike Dundalk & Cork. Greene would be a great signing for them.

Hard to know how Dundalk will do with Chvedukas & Mijaljevic(if he signs) both unknown players. Murray a very good signing but I think Hoban will need time.

Cork added McNamee but the rest of their signings have been underwhelming apart from maybe Cummins.
    Derry have signed well despite losing players with Hale & McDonagh both very good signings.

Dundalk and CCFC were miles ahead of everyone else last season and will be the same again this season.

If they do not draw each other beforehand it will be a CCFC v Dundalk Cup final again this year too. I cannot see anyone else beating either team prior to that.

I can only talk for CCFC now, but we will be a lot stronger starting 2018 than we were finishing 2017. I would rather have not lost either Bolger or Dooley, but neither were going to sit on the bench. Bolger was never going to hang around and play second fiddle to Conor McCormack again.

Dundalk and CCFC were miles ahead of everyone else last season and will be the same again this season.

If they do not draw each other beforehand it will be a CCFC v Dundalk Cup final again this year too. I cannot see anyone else beating either team prior to that.

I can only talk for CCFC now, but we will be a lot stronger starting 2018 than we were finishing 2017. I would rather have not lost either Bolger or Dooley, but neither were going to sit on the bench. Bolger was never going to hang around and play second fiddle to Conor McCormack again.

Will be stronger but will need to be. Since Maguire & O'Connor left Cork had nearly relegation form.

Pat's stronger next year & Waterford look strong not as many easy games next year. I think both Cork & Dundalk will drop more points this season as it stands right now.

Plenty of signings but bar McNamee none really stand out. Barry very poor at Derry last year. Horgan,Rowling poor too. I do think Sadlier should be a big player for Cork. Both Cummins & Hoban are similar hard to know what to expect from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thread title udpated

I accept that we are going to have new owners, and we don’t know their objectives yet,but do you really think SK would manage a side that wouldn’t be competitive.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I accept that we are going to have new owners, and we don’t know their objectives yet,but do you really think SK would manage a side that wouldn’t be competitive.?[/QUOTE]

His tenure at Dunfermline & Shamrock Rovers springs to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I accept that we are going to have new owners, and we don’t know their objectives yet,but do you really think SK would manage a side that wouldn’t be competitive.?[/QUOTE]

His tenure at Dunfermline & Shamrock Rovers springs to mind.

He wasn't given time at Rovers

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ubaezuono (spelling) to us on loan. Any Dundalk fans care to review?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Good player for U20s. Played with the senior side a couple of time in the cups, Shels in the earlier rounds of the FAI Cup and had a good game. Was a bit out of his depth against better sides but with game time against more experienced players he will get to the level needed imo. If he hasnt been released than Kenny sees something to work with so could be a good loan signing.

Its a bit unfair to point at SK's time at Dunfermline especially as he took them from so far adrift at the bottom when he took over to within a win of staying up last day of the season and to a Scottish Cup final. Rovers hit the panic button after a loss to Bohs and have hardly kicked on since under Croly and Fenlon (not including caretakers or 'Directors of Football'). Senior players at Rovers when SK took over didnt like the the expectations of training and diet that bore fruit at Dundalk so he was on a hiding to nothing when he didnt get time to build a side that would buy in to his methods. These players had been champions and had progressed in Europe and probably felt they were doing enough.
    They have changed focus under Bradley with a youth policy and a few experienced players and will improve on last season with the experience gained playing senior ball, if not in final league position they will be more consistant and less brittle if they go behind against the likes of Dundalk and Cork. Discipline should improve as suspensions hurt last season.

• Advertisement

Agree with above post, will come on with game time. He’s pictured training at Oriel in those photos He is not released so I think SK is hoping for game time for him. I see Poynton is back from loan at Bohs.

Rovers lost a super manager in Michel O’Neill and didn’t have the patience for Kenny to mould his team. Word on the grapevine is that it cost Rovers a lot in compensation payments.

Rovers loss was our gain as without Rovers continuing to pay Kenny's wages while on gardening leave Dundalk could not have afforded to take him on. When he was taking Dundalk to 2nd place with a team of unknowns in his first season he was being paid by Rovers and Dundalk were topping up his wages. They couldnt or wouldnt pay him off in a lump, add that to the cost of the director of football and Croly and that SK would have been on the top LoI managers wage, well it was an expensive period for them. Croly was given too much time it could be argued after pulling the plug on SK so quickly. Why Fenlon was tought to have been a good fit with his agricultural football, his Bohs background, the cost, his flop at Derry and his very mixed fortunes in Scotland - another expensive punt by the Rovers board before a complete change of direction with Bradley and the work at Roadstone. The money payed out since the last title and Europa League under O'Neill is why they have had to take loans that risk the supporter owned model. There are some similaraties between Fenlon and Kenny's career with both being former Bohs managers and spells with Derry and in Scotland but the wrong guy was given time at Rovers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Perhaps, but he had to go and he had to go when he did.

He was given enough time at Rovers, threw money at some truly shocking players (Kerra Gilbert springs to mind as much as I've tried to erase him from my memory) and continued to play them even after they had shown they weren't up to scratch, at the expense of other better players too.
    Nesta99 wrote: »
    Rovers hit the panic button after a loss to Bohs and have hardly kicked on since under Croly and Fenlon (not including caretakers or 'Directors of Football'). Senior players at Rovers when SK took over didnt like the the expectations of training and diet that bore fruit at Dundalk so he was on a hiding to nothing when he didnt get time to build a side that would buy in to his methods. These players had been champions and had progressed in Europe and probably felt they were doing enough.
    They have changed focus under Bradley with a youth policy and a few experienced players and will improve on last season with the experience gained playing senior ball, if not in final league position they will be more consistant and less brittle if they go behind against the likes of Dundalk and Cork. Discipline should improve as suspensions hurt last season.

Rovers didn't hit the panic button, it wasn't just results weren't great it was that the football was awful, the new signings didn't seem to give a toss, team selections were just confusing at times, it was a shocking half a season.
    Things didn't improve much after but something had to change.
    As for training and diet and stuff how do you know O'Neill wasn't on top of all that? Just because he doesn't shout everything he does from the rooftops like Kenny doesn't mean he isn't doing it. If he was looking for players to buy into his methods he wasn't very good at spotting them then, again Kerra Gilbert case in point.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Good player for U20s. Played with the senior side a couple of time in the cups, Shels in the earlier rounds of the FAI Cup and had a good game. Was a bit out of his depth against better sides but with game time against more experienced players he will get to the level needed imo. If he hasnt been released than Kenny sees something to work with so could be a good loan signing.

Its a bit unfair to point at SK's time at Dunfermline especially as he took them from so far adrift at the bottom when he took over to within a win of staying up last day of the season and to a Scottish Cup final. Rovers hit the panic button after a loss to Bohs and have hardly kicked on since under Croly and Fenlon (not including caretakers or 'Directors of Football'). Senior players at Rovers when SK took over didnt like the the expectations of training and diet that bore fruit at Dundalk so he was on a hiding to nothing when he didnt get time to build a side that would buy in to his methods. These players had been champions and had progressed in Europe and probably felt they were doing enough.
    I think Rovers could do well since they have kept there best players.

They need 1 or 2 more good signings still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

@ D14 Rugby please don't attribute Captain Havoc's quote to me. Leave the revisionism to Bradley. for the record Kenny got as much time as managers get these days to get things right. Rovers screwed up by the length of contract but they were right to sack him when they did.

@ D14 Rugby please don't attribute Captain Havoc's quote to me. Leave the revisionism to Bradley. for the record Kenny got as much time as managers get these days to get things right. Rovers screwed up by the length of contract but they were right to sack him when they did.

Sorry his quote was broken so in turn messed up mine, fixed now

He was given enough time at Rovers, threw money at some truly shocking players (Kerra Gilbert springs to mind as much as I've tried to erase him from my memory) and continued to play them even after they had shown they weren't up to scratch, at the expense of other better players too.

Rovers didn't hit the panic button, it wasn't just results weren't great it was that the football was awful, the new signings didn't seem to give a toss, team selections were just confusing at times, it was a shocking half a season.
    Things didn't improve much after but something had to change.

As for training and diet and stuff how do you know O'Neill wasn't on top of all that? Just because he doesn't shout everything he does from the rooftops like Kenny doesn't mean he isn't doing it. If he was looking for players to buy into his methods he wasn't very good at spotting them then, again Kerra Gilbert case in point.

So nothing changed bar the managerial position?

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Rovers could do well since they have kept there best players.

They need 1 or 2 more good signings still.

Would their best players have stayed if they had been in demand from abroad? Not a snipe a genuine question of your opinion. Finn was the consistant top performer. Keeping Miele, Clarke and Bolger was key for this season as the higher profile youngsters. Burke could be a great player for Rovers too if he reigns in the brain fart moments. A keepers is needed. Releasing Madden is still an odd one for a squad that needs some good experienced pros among the young lads. Maybe the much lauded youth setup has a few gems to add bar any new signings.

for the record Kenny got as much time as managers get these days to get things right. Rovers screwed up by the length of contract but they were right to sack him when they did.

Well, we’re certainly glad they did.

Fwiw The difference in points between Rovers and the league winners since Kenny was fired is

2013 - 19 points
    2014 - 12 points
    2015 - 13 points
    2016 - 22 points
    2017 - 22 points

2012 - the year Kenny was fired —9 points

Rovers defeated Dundalk 6 - 0 during the year, granted it was a poor Dundalk side but Rovers must have been playing alright at some stage that year.

Added: Rovers beat Dundalk 6 - 0 and 7 - 0 In the league that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Waterford announced that their friendlies against shels and cabo at home will be €10 entry for adults and €5 for children with no free entry for season ticket holders. Out of curiosity what is your clubs charging for friendlies? Is this the norm? Seems a bit steep to me but it's been so long since we've been a premier team I've forgotten was it always like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Padraig Cunningham linked to Cork apparently? Ellis leaving for Limerick? Podge has had two poor seasons for us, a year in the First would do him no harm.

Well, we’re certainly glad they did.

Fwiw The difference in points between Rovers and the league winners since Kenny was fired is

2013 - 19 points
    2014 - 12 points
    2015 - 13 points
    2016 - 22 points
    2017 - 22 points

2012 - the year Kenny was fired —9 points

Rovers defeated Dundalk 6 - 0 during the year, granted it was a poor Dundalk side but Rovers must have been playing alright at some stage that year.

Added: Rovers beat Dundalk 6 - 0 and 7 - 0 In the league that year.

The 7-0 was after he was sacked, also drew with that dundalk team under him which sums it up really

The 7-0 was after he was sacked, also drew with that dundalk team under him which sums it up really

But his side did win 6-0 and after his sacking there was an inprovement to 7-0. Dundalk got other results that season, not many but they did happen including draws with Cork, Derry, Bohs and Pats and beating Derry and Pats away. SK's Rovers team drew too many games but they did beat Bohs which is just not mentioned. Iirc the same stage following season where SK was pushed they had less points.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement