Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Padraig Cunningham linked to Cork apparently? Ellis leaving for Limerick? Podge has had two poor seasons for us, a year in the First would do him no harm.

I don't know what Caulfield is at, O'Hanlon and Cunningham to replace Campion and Ellis is a bit meh, but at the same time it can't really get any worse. (Or can it?????) Im almost certain he still has plans to use Sheppard as number 2 striker in the event of Cummins getting injured.

We are due to sign Danny Kane from Huddersfield in the next few days, mainly played with u23 squad but is an Irish u21 international, looks good from the little Iv seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Waterford announced that their friendlies against shels and cabo at home will be €10 entry for adults and €5 for children with no free entry for season ticket holders. Out of curiosity what is your clubs charging for friendlies? Is this the norm? Seems a bit steep to me but it's been so long since we've been a premier team I've forgotten was it always like this.

That would be standard enough for I reckon. I know CCFC season ticket holders get free entry to some under age games, but I think for home friendlies we have to pay like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

CHealy wrote: »
    I don't know what Caulfield is at, O'Hanlon and Cunningham to replace Campion and Ellis is a bit meh, but at the same time it can't really get any worse. (Or can it?????) Im almost certain he still has plans to use Sheppard as number 2 striker in the event of Cummins getting injured.

We are due to sign Danny Kane from Huddersfield in the next few days, mainly played with u23 squad but is an Irish u21 international, looks good from the little Iv seen.
    Very odd alright. Wouldn't have been too surprised if we weren't even going to have him back this season at all given his previous form etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cork's transfer business reminding me of Everton's last summer.

Signing quantity of players rather than quality.

Kane is a regular for the u21s so he should be a very good signing if he joins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Have Cork sorted out the Rowling situation for definite yet? Some saying he was staying in England, they also signed Horgan so thats 2 RB's signed anyway so they could do without Rowling

pjohnson wrote: »
    Have Cork sorted out the Rowling situation for definite yet? Some saying he was staying in England, they also signed Horgan so thats 2 RB's signed anyway so they could do without Rowling

What situation? He's been here since January 4th for the first day of pre season, living in an apartment with Sadlier. Dont know where or how that story came about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Apart from Barry McNamee who is a class player and could be player of the year next year, I wouldn't be overly worried about any of Cork's signings. Kane has plenty of potential and could be decent but he's unproven.

There was an 11 point gap post Maguire between the two clubs and I haven't seen anything to suggest a 12 point swing for Cork. It'll be close this season but I think Dundalk can regain their title.

doncarlos wrote: »
    There was an 11 point gap post Maguire between the two clubs and I haven't seen anything to suggest a 12 point swing for Cork. It'll be close this season but I think Dundalk can regain their title.

All depends on how Cummins performs, there was a reason we were so poor once Maguire left and its because we didnt replace him which lead to various different systems being tried (at one stage he used Keohane up front), luckily we were so far ahead and could afford to do it. No way we are that bad once the season starts. McNamee will be a top player for us, but Sadlier is the potential POTY for me, think he is going to be our star this year with a full Caulfield pre season under his belt.

It will be Dundalk and Cork City at the top again, I have absolutely no doubt about that, who wins it is 50/50 in my eyes at the moment.

McNamee was a bit off form when I saw him for Derry last year but still got 10 league goals.

Cork certainly got the better player if you compare Sadlier & Connolly.
    I think Sadlier is a better player than Dooley too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Waterford announced that their friendlies against shels and cabo at home will be €10 entry for adults and €5 for children with no free entry for season ticket holders. Out of curiosity what is your clubs charging for friendlies? Is this the norm? Seems a bit steep to me but it's been so long since we've been a premier team I've forgotten was it always like this.

Wexford FC season tickets do give you entry to the pre season friendlies. Can't recall the normal ticket price though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

D14Rugby wrote: »
    He was given enough time at Rovers, threw money at some truly shocking players (Kerra Gilbert springs to mind as much as I've tried to erase him from my memory) and continued to play them even after they had shown they weren't up to scratch, at the expense of other better players too.

He was awful for league of Ireland standard and I agree that he shouldn't have been playing as even back then Sean Gannon had shown to be the better fullback. He had absolutely no positional awareness, at all.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Adam Morgan ex Liverpool youths seemingly on way to Sligo. Ex alot of clubs after that and some cancelled contracts.

He was good in one of the football managers a few years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

joeysoap wrote: »
    I accept that we are going to have new owners, and we don’t know their objectives yet,but do you really think SK would manage a side that wouldn’t be competitive.?

Not saying they won't be competitive, just saying they won't be strong enough yet unless they strengthen. It's only an opinion though and hopefully i'm wrong. We need a very good spine, a CB, DM, CM and CF imo. Not sure what we have yet are good enough but time will tell. And we need to start off firing on all cylinders.

All depends on how Cummins performs, there was a reason we were so poor once Maguire left and its because we didnt replace him which lead to various different systems being tried (at one stage he used Keohane up front), luckily we were so far ahead and could afford to do it. No way we are that bad once the season starts. McNamee will be a top player for us, but Sadlier is the potential POTY for me, think he is going to be our star this year with a full Caulfield pre season under his belt.

It will be Dundalk and Cork City at the top again, I have absolutely no doubt about that, who wins it is 50/50 in my eyes at the moment.

Actually Sadlier was a player I haven't factored in. He looked to be coming into form at the tail end of the season. He's a little lightweight but I'd imagine he'll be bulking up over the past 6 months. Would agree with you that it'll be close but I'd fancy Dundalk to win the league with two games to spare.

We'll have cash to strengthen in July and that may make the difference.

doncarlos wrote: »
    We'll have cash to strengthen in July and that may make the difference.

If Peak 6 start pumping money into the playing squad well then thats that for everyone else in the league unfortunetly, however long it lasts for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Nesta99 wrote: »
    But his side did win 6-0 and after his sacking there was an inprovement to 7-0. Dundalk got other results that season, not many but they did happen including draws with Cork, Derry, Bohs and Pats and beating Derry and Pats away. SK's Rovers team drew too many games but they did beat Bohs which is just not mentioned. Iirc the same stage following season where SK was pushed they had less points.

Beat them 6-0 and drew 1-1 with kenny so 7-1 over two games compared to 7-0 over one without him.
    Then under kenny there was the disgraceful losses to Pats and bohs(twice), and the draws with bray(twice), ucd and shels.

As for the regression after kenny, he was the catalyst for that regression after MON left.

Its a lot harder to rebuild than to maintain which is what everyone post kenny has had to try do. Kenny has been great at dundalk, no question about it, but to try argue he did well at rovers, wasn't given time or whatever is just stupid and not even up for debate

If Peak 6 start pumping money into the playing squad well then thats that for everyone else in the league unfortunetly, however long it lasts for.

To be honest, I'd be very worried if they did as it's not sustainable without regular qualification for European group stages. There are some rumours of a proper academy being set up styled on the top English ones but nobody seems to know what Peak6's intentions are or what they are hoping to achieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Beat them 6-0 and drew 1-1 with kenny so 7-1 over two games compared to 7-0 over one without him.
    Then under kenny there was the disgraceful losses to Pats and bohs(twice), and the draws with bray(twice), ucd and shels.

As for the regression after kenny, he was the catalyst for that regression after MON left.

Its a lot harder to rebuild than to maintain which is what everyone post kenny has had to try do. Kenny has been great at dundalk, no question about it, but to try argue he did well at rovers, wasn't given time or whatever is just stupid and not even up for debate

Every LOI fan thinks Rovers pushed Kenny too early, bar Rovers fans! Would you rather Kenny or Bradley now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That’s what a lot of people were saying when Dundalk made the EL group stages. You still have to spend the money correctly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Half as season is not enough time for any manager to build something that lasts, of this there is no argument with, its not like a last ditch avoidance of relegation stuff. Maybe player selection had to do with off field issues? It is still the case that points gained at the same number of games in 2013 was less than 2012. Blaming subsequeant seasons' mediocre performance on a manager who only had a half season stint is a bit silly. Especially if you look at the squads and how a lot of the same players were involved. O'Neill had a huge squad tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There was more. The 3-0 defeat in Sligo where he introduced Pieterse for one game after talking him up the previous week at the AGM and the 0-0 draw in Monaghan and insisting on McCormack at right back. And 0-0 v Ekranas.

Plus putting together the worst defence in the Tallaght era and one of the worst central defenders I've seen at Rovers.
    Every LOI fan thinks Rovers pushed Kenny too early, bar Rovers fans! Would you rather Kenny or Bradley now?

Equally, Dundalk fans keep bringing it up and there's not going to be a change of heart from the vast majority of Rovers fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

dfx- wrote: »

Equally, Dundalk fans keep bringing it up and there's not going to be a change of heart from the vast majority of Rovers fans.

Kenny could win the european cup with cabinteely & it still doesn't change the fact he absolutely had to go at the time he was sacked by Rovers.

I still remember clearly the shambles that was his team/squad.

No revisionist nonsense will ever change my opinion that the only mistake the club made was not getting rid of him before the european tie.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Whoever took the job after O'Neill was always on a hiding to nothing. The expectations were huge and success was expected immediately to continue seamlessly. But hey that's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Whoever took the job after O'Neill was always on a hiding to nothing. The expectations were huge and success was expected immediately to continue seamlessly. But hey that's football.

I think you have hit the nail on the head CC. Very hard act to follow. MOL has since proved himself as a superb manager. Only for a dubious penalty in the playoff with Switzerland might well have qualified for WC.

No they don't, and those who do clearly didn't see the shocking football we played at times.
    Genuinely Bradley, at least its exciting football, i was nearly falling asleep watching Kennys team at times

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Half as season is not enough time for any manager to build something that lasts, of this there is no argument with, its not like a last ditch avoidance of relegation stuff. Maybe player selection had to do with off field issues? It is still the case that points gained at the same number of games in 2013 was less than 2012. Blaming subsequeant seasons' mediocre performance on a manager who only had a half season stint is a bit silly. Especially if you look at the squads and how a lot of the same players were involved. O'Neill had a huge squad tbf.

He signed Kerra Gilbert, that in itself is a sackable offence, never mind the negative football, poor selection choices, etc, its like he was ticking offf a checklist on how to get sacked from a football club

He signed Kerra Gilbert, that in itself is a sackable offence, never mind the negative football, poor selection choices, etc, its like he was ticking offf a checklist on how to get sacked from a football club

But doesn't Kenny's success at Dundalk prove he very likely would have turned things around at Rovers if given time.

Could have regrouped after a very poor season in 2012. Your fortunes can easily change in the LOI.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

A manager can be absolute genius at one club, yet drop him in another and he could struggle. That's just the way it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wilberto wrote: »
    A manager can be absolute genius at one club, yet drop him in another and he could struggle. That's just the way it is.

Exact same with a player.
    Maguire at Dundalk, Maguire at City.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head CC. Very hard act to follow. MOL has since proved himself as a superb manager. Only for a dubious penalty in the playoff with Switzerland might well have qualified for WC.

That is very true! Even a Pat Fenlon side would have looked like Barcelona to us Dundalk fans after 2012.

Ok things didnt work out for Kenny at Rovers, but the general rule of thumb is that some decent amount of time is needed to build a side and half a season isnt enough. There is the context of prior success too which is fair enough. Things often get worse before getting better under new management and the long term contract indicates that Rovers believed that it was a longer term project than was let happen in the end. The subsequent managers' performances bar Bradley maybe, would follow the no quick fix thinking. Kenny had to work with a lot of the players from the previous league winning team and we all know that a good few of them didnt want to change what they were doing which is a hiding to nothing for a new manager until the squad evolves. Its all a non discussion now of course but is interesting nonetheless. SK was drained of confidence when he took the Dundalk job but the blank canvass did allow him turn relegation fodder in to title challangers and with signings that were underwhelming for Dundalk never mind Rovers. If he had brought many of the players that are or were the backbone of Dundalk 3 in a row side to Rovers at the time he'd probably have got the sack before the season started lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Adam Morgan has signed for Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

monkey9 wrote: »

Could be excellent and be the 15+ goal striker that fires us back into Europe or we could find out why he has fallen from Liverpool to the Conference in 3 years.

What a goal this was. Craig Roddan played in that team with him.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Exact same with a player.
    Maguire at Dundalk, Maguire at City.

Its not a great example tbf. Kenny wanted to keep Maguire but he wanted guaranteed game time which Cork offered. At Dundalk he may not have been 1st choice striker - with hindsight he should have been if kept a second season and probably would showing the form he did. Maguire himself though credits the training, especially fitness and conditioning, that helped the immediate impact he had when he moved to Cork. Since 2013 players have really kicked on in their second season at Oriel Park. Cork benefited from Maguires 2nd season back in Ireland after he had been through a confidence busting time in England. Clifford and McDermot were two busts in terms of young lads that needed to rebuild their careers. Maguire took his chance in a pretty spectacular way and the move to Cork was obviously the right one for him. We never got to see what he could have done at Dundalk, our loss, a league and cup at least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wexford FC season tickets do give you entry to the pre season friendlies. Can't recall the normal ticket price though

It's been a long time since we had a pre-season friendly at Ferrycarrig but they are always free to season ticket holders 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

monkey9 wrote: »

Potential to be a good signing but seems to be a bit of a weapon. 1 club cancelled contract cos he failed to turn up for a match! hasn't seemed to play a lot bar for Halifax in the last 6 years since leaving Liverpool. Be interesting to see how this turns out.

Read an interview with Morgan about a year ago. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/03/adam-morgan-curzon-ashton-liverpool-afc-wimbledon-fa-cup

I think not making it at Liverpool killed his career. Seems to have lost motivation. I don't see him doing great at Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

MD1990 wrote: »
    Read an interview with Morgan about a year ago. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/03/adam-morgan-curzon-ashton-liverpool-afc-wimbledon-fa-cup

I think not making it at Liverpool killed his career. Seems to have lost motivation. I don't see him doing great at Sligo.

Im sure John Caulfield has been in his ear already to say if he does well at Sligo he will be welcome at Turners Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PiBmIIrxG0

Pat O Sullivan looking to sell his majority share in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Rovers are interested in Ronan Coughlan and Joel Coustrain from Limerick according to The Sun.

Shamrock Rovers looking at Limerick pair Ronan Coughlan and Joel Coustrain in pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hopefully linking up with his mate Rodden will have a positive affect and he doesn't go the opposite way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Massive move in the WNL today, Áine O'Gorman is joining Amber Barrett at Peamount. Superb signing for Peamount, hard to see UCD doing well without her.

Two more internationals going to Peamount for next season, Niamh Reid-Burke and Karen Duggan. James O'Callaghan will have an immense squad to try to give them their first league title since 2011. For any Dublin neutrals interested in following the women's game, I'd heartily recommend getting behind the Peas next year.

Tommy Barrett is the new Limerick FC manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Former Limerick and Barnsley striker Jeff McGowan training with Dundalk. Anyone know much about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He's been playing junior football back in Clare lately with Newmarket Celtic, other than that know nothing about him.

https://twitter.com/ShamrockRovers/status/953326029657034752

He is a winger.

Can't see Rovers getting Greene or making huge progress this year now. Not good enough signings.

• Advertisement

Was hoping with a manager finally signed that Tommy Barrett could have had a chat with him, was in training last summer and not sure whether McDonald didn't fancy him or Coustrain had no interest. Has been playing with a local junior side this season.

Was hoping with a manager finally signed that Tommy Barrett could have had a chat with him, was in training last summer and not sure whether McDonald didn't fancy him or Coustrain had no interest. Has been playing with a local junior side this season.
    is Ogbene back training with Limerick?

Think I heard he was training with Ipswich this week along with Barry Cotter?

He was in training last week but as Advanced Ghost mentioned apprantly himself and Barry Cotter are supposedly in England this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Former Limerick and Barnsley striker Jeff McGowan training with Dundalk. Anyone know much about him?

Rumour has it he signed for Dundalk. Know nothing about him but if he was good enough for Barnsley to come knocking when he was 17, he must be fairly useful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement