Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/953688406273544194

Cherrie gone to Cork. Good signing. Cork not improved first 11 much but there squad is improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

WTAF

The FAI have informed clubs using Abbotstown for friendlies that they’re not permitted to publicise the match, provide in-match updates and no spectators are permitted to attend. Cork City & Finn Harps play at Abbotstown this Saturday, January 20th.

North Korea is coming to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

...........and leave a brown envelop wid a few grand in it for John boy and the whan for a couple of lunches in the Shelbourne...........January does be desperate tight ,so it does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've signed Mick Leahy. I know hes played with UCD and Sligo. Is he of any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

bot43 wrote: »
    WTAF

The FAI have informed clubs using Abbotstown for friendlies that they’re not permitted to publicise the match, provide in-match updates and no spectators are permitted to attend. Cork City & Finn Harps play at Abbotstown this Saturday, January 20th.

North Korea is coming to town.

Whatever about no spectators because I don't think it's open to the public anyway otherwise they'd house all international underage matches there but not being allowed give in-match updates is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

kksaints wrote: »
    We've signed Mick Leahy. I know hes played with UCD and Sligo. Is he of any use?
    He's grand. Can be dodgy at times but generally ok. Can't say a whole lot more tbh. Hes good for an odd goal, was actually one of our top scorers last season but that's not saying a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Think we should have re-signed Leahy. Our squad is lacking experience at the minute.

Cork 1-1 with UCC. Lucan 1-0 vs Rovers.

Only friendlies but LSL & other amateur clubs in the FAI Cup gave the LOI clubs very good games. Gap should be bigger.

I think the league has lost too many good players in the last 2 years & the standard will drop this year. Hopefully some new players emerge this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

MD1990 wrote: »

Only friendlies but LSL & other amateur clubs in the FAI Cup gave the LOI clubs very good games. Gap should be bigger.

I think the league has lost too many good players in the last 2 years & the standard will drop this year. Hopefully some new players emerge this year.

To be fair Rovers spread their squad across 2 games on the same day & more importantly dont forget the LSL & suchlike are mid season & are match ready, the LOI teams are only back training and the results mean little to them.

Potentially theres some logic to your point re: talent drain though, however players can step up so fingers crossed it will still be competetive & somewhat entertaining!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair Rovers spread their squad across 2 games on the same day & more importantly dont forget the LSL & suchlike are mid season & are match ready, the LOI teams are only back training and the results mean little to them.

Potentially theres some logic to your point re: talent drain though, however players can step up so fingers crossed it will still be competetive & somewhat entertaining!

I was at the Rovers friendly. Finn,Lopez,Boyd, Gilchrist,McAllister all played 60 mins. Lucan are in the 3rd tier of the LSL they are a good side though.
    But still it is poor.

Gilchrist the new CB signed looks very very poor. Signed from Scotland like Cameron King who was awful last year as well.

LSL clubs in the FAI Cup last season were in pre-season too & they performed very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

You cannot or should not read a single thing into any pre season games results. Fellas are miles off full fitness and are certainly not going to go full tilt into a tackle etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It was one of the real competitive issues that arose with the Setanta Cup; preseason LOI sides were beating midseason IL teams.

The other way around is no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Relax haha, pre season friendlies mean nothing. I wasnt at UCC last night but after the rain that fell Id imagine, like Cobh on Saturday, it was almost impossible to play football. We had a fella called Jarob from Iraq playing at one stage :)

Talking to fellas who were at the game, McNamee, McCormack, Sadlier and Danny Kane will all be serious players for us this season, O'Hanlon not so much despite scoring. Hard to tell anything from early pre season though.

Saw on Twitter, is this the first time a professional team has played its sponsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gap should be bigger.

Why's that? A lot of LSL Sunday Senior and Senior 1 players would more than capable to slot into any 1st Div LOI side - most choose LSL over LOI as travelling the country for 50-100 quid isn't worth the hassle or commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Relax haha, pre season friendlies mean nothing. I wasnt at UCC last night but after the rain that fell Id imagine, like Cobh on Saturday, it was almost impossible to play football. We had a fella called Jarob from Iraq playing at one stage :)

Talking to fellas who were at the game, McNamee, McCormack, Sadlier and Danny Kane will all be serious players for us this season, O'Hanlon not so much despite scoring. Hard to tell anything from early pre season though.

Saw on Twitter, is this the first time a professional team has played its sponsor?

I was there..O Hanlon wasn’t as bad as people said. He misplaced 2 short pass’s but that can happen. He’s up there on his own allways making runs and making the defenders think. McNamee started a little slow but grew into it McCormack was McCormack. Sadlier had a few moments but Danny Kane looked outstanding and extremely comfortable on the ball. He drove forward with it a lot and his distribution was miles better than anything we’ve had in Deleany or Dennehy. There’s a great squad at Cork this ya from 1-21.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why's that? A lot of LSL Sunday Senior and Senior 1 players would more than capable to slot into any 1st Div LOI side - most choose LSL over LOI as travelling the country for 50-100 quid isn't worth the hassle or commitment.

Equally, they'd be no use to FD teams no matter their skill if they are not committed.

In the FD, you have a cross country away game on a Tuesday night and another on Friday night, you have to commit to that. If you don't then you won't slot in to any FD side.

You could perhaps argue there should be more cup upsets for these sorts of sides, but in terms of actual league season capable sides, FD teams are way ahead.

Cork result seemed a fluke looking at stats & no Cummins. But they still should be beating UCC easily.

I am at LSL games every week I know the standard of players is excellent.

I just think this year the LOI standard is dropping. Too many players leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I am at LSL games every week I know the standard of players is excellent.

I just think this year the LOI standard is dropping. Too many players leaving.

The current LSL champions are my local team & I watch them regularly. The standard has definitely improved at that level from when I played there nearly 20 years ago but lets not fool ourselves, its nowhere near LOI standard.

The LSL sides can raise their game for the odd cup tie but stick any of them into the FD & I'd place a large wager they'd finish in the bottom 2. Theres still a fair gulf between the LOI & LS & intermediate leagues no matter what the LSL players would lead you to believe.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dundalk confirm that they're sold anyway!

Be interesting to see what changes at Dundalk now. Maybe more funds for players & to do up Oriel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mushy wrote: »

Seems like potential trouble.

What's the story with their Euro money? Is it still on the club's balance sheet for the new owners to play with or did the previous owners take a cut as part of the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Amirani wrote: »

What's the story with their Euro money? Is it still on the club's balance sheet for the new owners to play with or did the previous owners take a cut as part of the deal?

If rumours are to be believed, two stands with a capacity of 7,500. This is an investment company and they will expect a return.

Club reported a €3m profit in 2016, and they didn’t fritter it away. Buying the lease on Oriel , paying the local authority the arrears owed by the previous owner (€400,000?) and a new pitch. (Overdue but because of the lease they were unable to change previously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Say it's been mentioned here before but Oriel and development is complex as part of it is owned by someone else and some malarky like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Say it's been mentioned here before but Oriel and development is complex as part of it is owned by someone else and some malarky like that.

Just excuses from the previous owners who didn't out a red cent into the place in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Mushy wrote: »

Rumour was the club was bought for €3M or exactly what was in the bank.

I'm very nervous but excited about this could potentially bring Dundalk and in a far lesser extent the league of Ireland into a whole new level. However it has the potential to backfire spectacularly and land us in the first division having bought our history back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

doncarlos wrote: »
    Rumour was the club was bought for €3M or exactly what was in the bank.

I'm very nervous but excited about this could potentially bring Dundalk and in a far lesser extent the league of Ireland into a whole new level. However it has the potential to backfire spectacularly and land us in the first division having bought our history back

I can imagine the equal feeling of nervousness and excitement.
    It's very hard to know, but I think it could well be a major step in the right direction for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

This Dundalk 'investment' is basically a bet by both parties that the club will replicate future seasons like 2016 with little to lose for the yanks

Think it's totally ludicrous to risk that exceptional financial windfall which has secured the club long-term participating in a totally dysfunctional run league with an embarrassing history of financial collapses. Won't have a jot of sympathy when this blows up in their face

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Just excuses from the previous owners who didn't out a red cent into the place in years

Would you spend money on something you didn’t own (or own the lease)?

As well reported their hands were tied until December 2016.

Rumour (that’s all we have, The Mafia could take lessons from this) is that Oriel will be used for more than football.

Time will tell.

If rumours are to be believed, two stands with a capacity of 7,000. This is an investment company and they wil expect a return.

Club reported a €3m profit in 2016, and they didn’t fritter it away. Buying the lease on Oriel , paying the local authority the arrears owed by the previous owner (€400,000?) and a new pitch. (Overdue but because of the lease they were unable to change previously)

Dundalk squad atm is way off the level they were in 2015-2016.
    Towell,Finn,Horgan,McMillian,McEleney,Boyle all gone since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Dundalk squad atm is way off the level they were in 2015-2016.
    Towell,Finn,Horgan,McMillian,McEleney,Boyle all gone since then.

It's hard to believe the amount of talent they lost. That list is crazy. They could be a good Europa league team if all those players stayed and mantained top form.

This is the position as I understand it regarding the 10 premier division clubs! Fee free to correct anything I have incorrect

Derry City - local authority ground and all development by them
    Sligo Rovers - own their own ground and all developments are down to them.
    Limerick - Leased from Limerick Enterprise development partnership
    Cork City - leased from Munster Football Association
    Waterford Utd- Leased from Waterford Local Authorities
    Bray Wanderers - Leased from North Korea
    St Pats Ath - Richmond is owned by Pats
    Shamrock Rovers - Leased from SDCC
    Bohs - Leased from DCC
    Dundalk - Leased from the Casey Family

I make it only 2 clubs own their own ground.
    I suspect the first division is somewhat similar

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bray Wanderers - Leased from North Korea

:pac: :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shows what you know.

The previous owners, pumped money in to save our club in 2012 when otherwise we prob would have been like Cork, Derry and been re-formed as Dundalk Foras or something, bought the lease of the land off the previous owner before them (which took years of talks and money) installed a new pitch, done up the Youth Development centre, installed a state of the art gym, signed and paid for some of the greatest players Dundalk or the LOI has ever seen.

The previous owners, pumped money in to save our club in 2012 when otherwise we prob would have been like Cork, Derry and been re-formed as Dundalk Foras or something

You'd have to laugh at this attitude, Iv missed you being around the place dundalkfc10. Having a go off a group of fans putting in 100's of hours of work to make sure there is a senior LOI club in Cork, a trust that is now 500 strong and growing that has gone from 1st Division to Double Champions in 7 years. Its very very possible that you'll soon find out what its like to be completely helpless as an external owner rips your club to shreds.

By the way and as Iv mentioned before, Foras actually sent people up to Dundalk in 2012 to advice and help in the creation of your own trust as it looked like you might go bust, but dont worry about that.

You'd have to laugh at this attitude, Iv missed you being around the place dundalkfc10. Having a go off a group of fans putting in 100's of hours of work to make sure there is a senior LOI club in Cork, a trust that is now 500 strong and growing that has gone from 1st Division to Double Champions in 7 years. Its very very possible that you'll soon find out what its like to be completely helpless as an external owner rips your club to shreds.

By the way and as Iv mentioned before, Foras actually sent people up to Dundalk in 2012 to advice and help in the creation of your own trust as it looked like you might go bust, but dont worry about that.

What attitude, im stating a simple fact! If Andy and Paul never bought the club in 2012, we would be in the exact same situation Cork and Derry etc faced when they had to start from the beginning.

Im not slagging them off, im just delighted we didnt have to go down that route

• Advertisement

What attitude, im stating a simple fact! If Andy and Paul never bought the club in 2012, we would be in the exact same situation Cork and Derry etc faced when they had to start from the beginning.

Im not slagging them off, im just delighted we didnt have to go down that route

Sure thing.

Sure thing.

Good response to getting something wrong!

Good response to getting something wrong!

I always love seeing a post from you, theres no way you werent having a go. You were even on CCFC Forum at one stage at it.

I always love seeing a post from you, theres no way you werent having a go. You were even on CCFC Forum at one stage at it.

You sound like Caufield, a bitter auld man

You sound like Caufield, a bitter auld man

Haha, Iv nothing to be bitter about, Im happy out bud.

Shows what you know.

The previous owners, pumped money in to save our club in 2012 when otherwise we prob would have been like Cork, Derry and been re-formed as Dundalk Foras or something, bought the lease of the land off the previous owner before them (which took years of talks and money) installed a new pitch, done up the Youth Development centre, installed a state of the art gym, signed and paid for some of the greatest players Dundalk or the LOI has ever seen.

You are completely missing my point but if that suits your delusion so be it. Oriel Park hasn't seen a red cent from previous owners in decades not just the guys who came along in 2012 but those that were there for years before that. Out of interest how long are you following Dundalk?

You are completely missing my point but if that suits your delusion so be it. Oriel Park hasn't seen a red cent from previous owners [/U]in decades not just the guys who came along in 2012 but those that were there for years before that. Out of interest how long are you following Dundalk?

I cant remember, since my Grandad took me on a Thurs night back in the 90's.

You realise until the club took ownership of the lease (only a few months ago) they could not do anything regarding upgrading the ground?

Course you dont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Aww. I Love these City vs. Dundalk squabbles. Its just like the Utd vs. Liverpool nonsense :)

There’s no doubt that Oriel was neglected over the years. Until Gerry Matthews came on the scene and did a bit to bring it up to a standard suitable for the Champions League qualifying rounds but not much more than that. Afaik the club did propose a new (or extended) stand where the main stand is now ( maybe about 15- 20 years ago) but residents on the Carrick Road objected ( loss of light or similar).

I also think the club have been informed that because of new health and safety rules they wont be allowed to build behind the goals. I find this hard to believe when I see most stadiums have stands behind the goals.

The two owners were perfectly entitled to keep the euro money as they owned the club, two more trustworthy and honest owners you’d go far to find. And maybe lucky too, you need luck.

Anyway let’s wait and see.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    There’s no doubt that Oriel was neglected over the years. Until Gerry Matthews came on the scene and did a bit to bring it up to a standard suitable for the Champions League qualifying rounds but not much more than that. Afaik the club did propose a new (or extended) stand where the main stand is now ( maybe about 15- 20 years ago) but residents on the Carrick Road objected ( loss of light or similar).

I also think the club have been informed that because of new health and safety rules they wont be allowed to build behind the goals. I find this hard to believe when I see most stadiums have stands behind the goals.

The two owners were perfectly entitled to keep the euro money as they owned the club, two more trustworthy and honest owners you’d go far to find. And maybe lucky too, you need luck.

Anyway let’s wait and see.

Fair points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement