Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I cant remember, since my Grandad took me on a Thurs night back in the 90's.

You realise until the club took ownership of the lease (only a few months ago) they could not do anything regarding upgrading the ground?

Course you dont!

You're still missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i imagine Dundalk could make some very good signings now.

Definite favourites to win the league now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 wrote: »

Adds a lot of experience to what was a youthful squad. Another signing to be announced at 4pm which will be the re-signing of Shaun Kelly more than likely whose been training with the club all pre season.

Adds a lot of experience to what was a youthful squad. Another signing to be announced at 4pm which will be the re-signing of Shaun Kelly more than likely whose been training with the club all pre season.

Signing good names but maybe past there best.

Need to try keep Ogbene though. Limerick has 3 decent enough strikers now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Jesus Marky and Billy Dennehy in the same dressing room again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Sull is a great signing for them. We should not have left him go, but had to in the end. Certainly better than Campion (who I will always love for his cup final equaliser).

However I had to LOL at himself and Billy Dennehy being reunited again :D

Is this s part time deal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Cape Clear wrote: »
    You're still missing the point.

You stated the previous owners never put a red cent into Oriel Park, you are wrong they did.

Martin Connolly was on local radio at lunch time
    Brief summary of what he said:
    Process has been ongoing for 6/7 months
    Various Investors have been approaching Dundalk for sometime, during Euro run etc.
    Dundalk were approached by Peak6
    Peak 6 were amazed by the passionate support of the local area when they arrived, flags, people wearing jerseys
    Peak6 aim to 'to continue the Dundalk story'
    Martin Connolly 'hugely excited'
    Everything to be done within budget
    2/3 more players to come in. 'May be a better grade of player'
    Martin not aware of planned ground improvements but Peak6 know about the lack of infrastructure
    Martin expects them to let SK run the football side of it without any dilution of his control
    Martin staying with the club, reporting to Mal Brannigan
    New owners to arrive around end of month to meet staff volunteers and fans
    FAI approve of the investment, investors, and are keen to see facilities improved

Signing good names but maybe past there best.

Need to try keep Ogbene though. Limerick has 3 decent enough strikers now though.

That's the worrying thing about it, especially when there was talks about his fitness (back problems or something). Also seem to be over prioritising signing attacking players when there's only 4 defenders signed up, two of those having moved from 19s to the first team this season and Shane Tracey who technically is a good footballer but hasn't got the pace to be starting LB in the premier. The re-signing of Shaun Kelly will be a good signing for us but still extremely weak at LCB and LB.

Some of the talk is that he'll be off but won't be until July, if there's truth in that then all the better but imo he'll probably be off soon enough and Billy Dennehy was signed to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Think ye’ll end up with Darren Dennehy now aswell

That's the worrying thing about it, especially when there was talks about his fitness (back problems or something). Also seem to be over prioritising signing attacking players when there's only 4 defenders signed up, two of those having moved from 19s to the first team this season and Shane Tracey who technically is a good footballer but hasn't got the pace to be starting LB in the premier. The re-signing of Shaun Kelly will be a good signing for us but still extremely weak at LCB and LB.

Some of the talk is that he'll be off but won't be until July, if there's truth in that then all the better but imo he'll probably be off soon enough and Billy Dennehy was signed to replace him.

Maxi Kougoun who was linked would be a very good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Maxi Kougoun who was linked would be a very good signing.

He's in his final year of university so if anything happens I'd say it'll be in the summer at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

joeysoap wrote: »
    There’s no doubt that Oriel was neglected over the years. Until Gerry Matthews came on the scene and did a bit to bring it up to a standard suitable for the Champions League qualifying rounds but not much more than that. Afaik the club did propose a new (or extended) stand where the main stand is now ( maybe about 15- 20 years ago) but residents on the Carrick Road objected ( loss of light or similar).

I also think the club have been informed that because of new health and safety rules they wont be allowed to build behind the goals. I find this hard to believe when I see most stadiums have stands behind the goals.

The two owners were perfectly entitled to keep the euro money as they owned the club, two more trustworthy and honest owners you’d go far to find. And maybe lucky too, you need luck.

Anyway let’s wait and see.
    I don't know about that.
    There used to be a wee family stand behind the town goals back in the 70's when I first started going to OP. It was not very high, just above the height of the wall without the bank being there. Was a great wee stand where you could take kids and sit in comfort.
    Unless the H&S has gone mad since it could be replaced.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanGorman_/status/954430357058748416

Majority of Bray players listed as trailists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanGorman_/status/954430357058748416

Majority of Bray players listed as trailists

Glad I looked at the link before saying no need to be alarmist, they signed up plenty of players recently.

Guess the ****show must roll on. Shambolic stuff! I guess this is what happens when players sign a blank piece of paper.

They've also stopped picture comments on Facebook posts. I wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Will they even make the start of the season?

You stated the previous owners never put a red cent into Oriel Park, you are wrong they did.

Martin Connolly was on local radio at lunch time
    Brief summary of what he said:
    Process has been ongoing for 6/7 months
    Various Investors have been approaching Dundalk for sometime, during Euro run etc.
    Dundalk were approached by Peak6
    Peak 6 were amazed by the passionate support of the local area when they arrived, flags, people wearing jerseys
    Peak6 aim to 'to continue the Dundalk story'
    Martin Connolly 'hugely excited'
    Everything to be done within budget
    2/3 more players to come in. 'May be a better grade of player'
    Martin not aware of planned ground improvements but Peak6 know about the lack of infrastructure
    Martin expects them to let SK run the football side of it without any dilution of his control
    Martin staying with the club, reporting to Mal Brannigan
    New owners to arrive around end of month to meet staff volunteers and fans
    FAI approve of the investment, investors, and are keen to see facilities improved

The truth can be bitter.

Bray announce 5 new signings. Think all young lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Will they even make the start of the season?
    Really hope not. League would genuinely be better off without Bray in its current form. Would hope they could come back in the future if there were enough people hungry enough to make it happen.

FAI will do everything in their power to make sure Bray make it, doubt they'll want to be going into the new season with one division only having 9 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

1) If Bray can’t find/field a team in the next 2 weeks Galway United should be reinstated ASAP as a premier division club

2) Martin Connolly is a brother of one of the previous owners , is managing director, is the youth development officer and I think coaches either the U17 or U19. I could stand corrected on that last bit. Passionate about football. So staying with the club could have many meanings. ( I thought a guy from Sheffield was going to be the managing director ,Mal Brannigan ? )

3) I find it hard to believe they won’t be allowed to develop behind the goal (and I can remember that stand, it was the main stand when the pitch ran the other way) City only had a roof blown off in a storm, we lost this stand to a storm. :)) admittedly it was wooden and xxx years old when it blew down. Something to do with ambulance access ( I know, it’s a plastic pitch - you could drive a double decker bus across it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1) If Bray can’t find/field a team in the next 2 weeks Galway United should be reinstated ASAP as a premier division club

It should have been done months ago.

If Bray do go out of business before a ball is kicked Galway should be promoted again and there be no relegation this season. If there's going to be relegation then surely Galway would have to think twice about accepting a PD place given they have already signed a 1D squad. They have a much better shot at winning the 1D this season than they would avoiding PD relegation with the squad they have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oat23 wrote: »
    It should have been done months ago.

If Bray do go out of business before a ball is kicked Galway should be promoted again and there be no relegation this season. If there's going to be relegation then surely Galway would have to think twice about accepting a PD place given they have already signed a 1D squad. They have a much better shot at winning the 1D this season than they would avoiding PD relegation with the squad they have.

Makes sense, so you can be sure the FAI won't do things that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If a Premier team goes belly up, why should the 1at Division have it's fixture schedule thrown in to turmoil. Lost Revenue is equally crucial.

If a Premier team goes belly up, why should the 1at Division have it's fixture schedule thrown in to turmoil. Lost Revenue is equally crucial.

Good point.

But then why deny Galway premier football just because Bray can't get their affairs in order. I can't see it happening anyway because the FAI will do whatever to make sure both divisions start with 10 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

But then why deny Galway premier football just because Bray can't get their affairs in order. I can't see it happening anyway because the FAI will do whatever to make sure both divisions start with 10 teams.
    I think a Galway poster said here some time ago their forum was already split if they'd take the place or not. They've budgeted and assembled a squad for D1, it would be impossible to be competitive at this stage. One year of premier football and assured D1 next year.
    And if as suggested earlier Galway went up and the automatic spot removed well that really would be pissing on the first division.

overshoot wrote: »
    I think a Galway poster said here some time ago their forum was already split if they'd take the place or not. They've budgeted and assembled a squad for D1, it would be impossible to be competitive at this stage. One year of premier football and assured D1 next year.
    And if as suggested earlier Galway went up and the automatic spot removed well that really would be pissing on the first division.

Taking away the automatic spot would be scandalous but honestly think Galway wouldn't finish last in this season's premier, that spots reserved for us unless Bray don't get it's **** together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Galway were relegated when Bray did have their affairs in order (on paper). Galway are in their rightful place this season on the merits of the football they played last season .

I think Galway should take Bray's place if they fail but only if the FAI find a replacement in the 1st Division.

McEleney must have some deal to sign for Oldham. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

McEleney must have some deal to sign for Oldham. :o

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

3) I find it hard to believe they won’t be allowed to develop behind the goal (and I can remember that stand, it was the main stand when the pitch ran the other way) City only had a roof blown off in a storm, we lost this stand to a storm. :)) admittedly it was wooden and xxx years old when it blew down. Something to do with ambulance access ( I know, it’s a plastic pitch - you could drive a double decker bus across it)

Where's not being able to put a stand behind the goal coming from? Maybe there's not enough space there, maybe its a case of total capacity it would bring it to with only 2 real entrances? Both of those could be solved by buying the field behind it though so there's no huge obstacle i can see

Why?

They are going downhill faster than a skier down a ski slope. I presume he’s injured (a real possibility, unfortunately) as I’ve not seen him on a team sheet anytime I checked. IMO , he would have been better staying at Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Where's not being able to put a stand behind the goal coming from? Maybe there's not enough space there, maybe its a case of total capacity it would bring it to with only 2 real entrances? Both of those could be solved by buying the field behind it though so there's no huge obstacle i can see

Seem to remember reading years ago that the problem is:

1. The area behind the goal is used as emergency access for the Youth Development Center and as a result cant be built on.

2. The area behind the wall is owned by the Dundalk Grammar School amongst others and part of it is for public use if I am not mistaken. Think a deal would have to reached to put down an access road etc.

They are going downhill faster than a skier down a ski slope. I presume he’s injured (a real possibility, unfortunately) as I’ve not seen him on a team sheet anytime I checked. IMO , he would have been better staying at Dundalk.

They will be fine if they can get Eoin Doyle on loan from Preston again, which they are trying to do I believe.

Selling the club to rich guy as well, which could go either way but if they stay up things could look a lot better in 12 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talk is we are getting Nicky Low back on loan to the Brandywell.

• Advertisement

Seem to remember reading years ago that the problem is:

1. The area behind the goal is used as emergency access for the Youth Development Center and as a result cant be built on.

2. The area behind the wall is owned by the Dundalk Grammar School amongst others and part of it is for public use if I am not mistaken. Think a deal would have to reached to put down an access road etc.

Maybe I'm getting my ends mixed up. Are we talking about the east end yeah?

What I was told referred to the east or town end. I think you are right about the number of entrances and capacity. I think irishmale is right in that the Carrick Road end is basically access to the youth development centre ( going to seriously have to think about a name change there)

Nobody is saying what Peak6 are bringing to the table,but let’s hope it’s an upgraded stadium.

Fwiw the main stand in Oriel is now over 50 years old, Gerry Matthews put a new roof and new side panels on it a few years ago, before that it was looking a bit sad.

Anybody know if Bozo and Krusty are refereeing again this year?

(McKell and Buttimer )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I think Galway should take Bray's place if they fail but only if the FAI find a replacement in the 1st Division.

Absolutely not. Not a fking chance.

I want Galway United to be in the Premier in 2019, not the First, which is what would happen dropping a First Division squad into the PD on no notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Absolutely not. Not a fking chance.

I want Galway United to be in the Premier in 2019, not the First, which is what would happen dropping a First Division squad into the PD on no notice.

Exactly, no chance we should be doing that and that's the opinion of any Utd fan I've heard from. If the FAI are braindead enough to let Bray away at it again then more fool them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting my ends mixed up. Are we talking about the east end yeah?

OK maybe one or the other of us got our wires crossed. I am speaking about the area behind the goal at the area closest to the away fans (side away from the town).

As for builing a stand at the town end behind the goal, again it is an access problem and a H&S issue I would assume without knowng the ins and outs of planning. I know that the club were trying to do a deal to buy/lease part of the ground to allow for access. Cant see a stadium in Oriel which will make up of all 4 sides. Access wouldnt allow for it without the additional purchase of land and maybe houses. New owners may go greenfield if they really want to build.....but only they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Exactly, no chance we should be doing that and that's the opinion of any Utd fan I've heard from. If the FAI are braindead enough to let Bray away at it again then more fool them.
    The other way to look at it is you would be paying a first division side while making the extra revenue from being in the premier. Although you would most likely go down you should have the money to put a better first division side together to get back up for 2020

The other way to look at it is you would be paying a first division side while making the extra revenue from being in the premier. Although you would most likely go down you should have the money to put a better first division side together to get back up for 2020

Or they could just get promoted this season? :D

They have a decent side and are favourites for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I hope Galways strength and conditioning guy is full time. Robbie Williams looks a few stone overweight.

He should be a decent signing for them. Overall a good player but very prone to crazy lapses in concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

RockNRoll lifestyle....comes wid de territory

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement