Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

When Sligo Rovers start winning the crowds do turn up in 2013 start of season it was averaging over 2,000 with some big attendances to and some in the 1,800s. 2014 - Started 1,700 went to 3,000 for a couple of games then dwindled down. 2015 started high and dwindled down again. Sligo need to be winning to pull the crowd. When I was young we used to go up for a season or two and back you division 1 and do well. The seasons in division 1 winning we used to do better gates then most of the prem games on the bottom of the table.

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/club/8/sligo-rovers/2013/
    http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/club/8/sligo-rovers/2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Apparently we've signed Eric Whelan (Dundalk u-19's). Anyone know if he is any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Sligo need to be winning to pull the crowd.

Think that goes for everyone really, I can guarantee should Cork City have an off season this year will will be back to crowds of 2500, which for a one club team in a city of 200,000 is shocking in the scheme of things. Same with the Dublin clubs and to an extent Derry,Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Sligo and Dundalk as large towns do very well for themselves but I would say its easier to drum up support in a close nit community over a large city (in Irish terms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Think that goes for everyone really, I can guarantee should Cork City have an off season this year will will be back to crowds of 2500, which for a one club team in a city of 200,000 is shocking in the scheme of things. Same with the Dublin clubs and to an extent Derry,Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Sligo and Dundalk as large towns do very well for themselves but I would say its easier to drum up support in a close nit community over a large city (in Irish terms).
    Dong forget all the die hard GAA heads down here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Dong forget all the die hard GAA heads down here too

And all the.......... shudder ...........Munster rugby fans too :D

I wonder is the tide turning in some areas on GAA football. Rural clubs struggling to get teams, outside Mayo/Dublin/Donegal/Kerry there seems to be smaller crowds. I don't understand how people still go to games I know there are less frequent however the tackling has issues in consistency however there is a more tribal following to GAA. Sligo and Dundalk have poor enough GAA teams and Sligo at least in the town there is a limited appetite for GAA football. Most interested in Football are been fed their fix on Sky though and the lack of identity with LOI clubs is a tough problem to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Article on the great Jimmy Hasty on Tubrity this morning. One of the all time greats

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/32220064

Some great photos from the early 60’s. attendances look great. No floodlights or midweek matches (or Sky)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nq0cg/p02npxl2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Apparently we've signed Eric Whelan (Dundalk u-19's). Anyone know if he is any good?

Have heard he was decent for U19s but have only seen him a handful of times and hasn't stood out. Very hard to make an impact as a bit part player in friendlies and minor cup matches though

Brazilian midfielder moves to Rovers
    http://sligorovers.com/news/18/jan/brazilian-midfielder-moves-rovers

Ah **** looks like he has 2 names not one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brazilian midfielder moves to Rovers
    http://sligorovers.com/news/18/jan/brazilian-midfielder-moves-rovers

Ah **** looks like he has 2 names not one :)

Midtable at best then if he's got 2 names.

According to our forum he scored goal of the week twice last month in the Cypriot league including this free kick below.

He's getting on in years and he has been playing weekly since the Cypriot league started in August so fatigue is a bit concerning since we'll be playing until October.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/956884894684274688

• Advertisement

He can certainly strike the ball. Lets see how he deals with a gale coming off benbulben on a cold march day.

He can certainly strike the ball. Lets see how he deals with a ale coming off benbulben on a cold march day.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Oat23 wrote: »
    Midtable at best then if he's got 2 names.

According to our forum he scored goal of the week twice last month in the Cypriot league including this free kick below.

He's getting on in years and he has been playing weekly since the Cypriot league started in August so fatigue is a bit concerning since we'll be playing until October.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/956884894684274688

Joseph Ndo anyone

Joseph Ndo anyone

Let's not compare him to an actual god now.

Rivaldo perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

John o Flynn signing for Harps is a bizarre one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bot43 wrote: »

It’s better than Cobh Wanderers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yeah one start all last season for Limerick would suggest his legs are gone at 35

If he is actually fit he will bang the goals in that division like he did for Limerick in 2016. Surely Harps have signed him on a heavy pay-as-you-play and goal bonus deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

could well be on a deal as said above And probably no harm having someone in with experience. O'Connor, banda, Walsh would average below 20. Not sure on the other new forward.
    Think we have a decent squad together, few years ago would have felt good about promotion but looking around there is some decent players in D1 this year. Doesn't have the same graveyard feel of before. (still ****e being back tho)

Not taken in a chipper or a bar.
    Better camera.
    Ollie actually ready for the picture and smiling.

Sellouts.

https://twitter.com/FinnHarpsFC/status/956476278282051584

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: i mentioned Bray in the post you quoted & the difference.

Waterford had 700 at the Wexford friendly higher than most league league games at Bray last year & over 1000 at every home game in the 1st division last year.

Bray are a recent example... I meant moreso Shels, Bohs, Rovers, Drogs, etc...
    Shells average is down 83 on 2016. Will this seasons boycott affect that further or is the boycott already in effect?

Boycott was on in 2017 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Joey O'Brien could be a great signing for Rovers if he can get back to even 50% of his peak level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Possibly the reason Madden was let go to Pats.........Dare I say it, and not to incur the wrath of the Rebel army on boards, but we might be able to give Cork some kind of a game this year?

damemcd wrote: »
    Possibly the reason Madden was let go to Pats.........Dare I say it, and not to incur the wrath of the Rebel army on boards, but we might be able to give Cork some kind of a game this year?

Shams were the only team outside the top 2 able to give us a real game last season! That’s why I was happy to get Dundalk in the final. We have their measure. Shams aren’t afraid of CCFC.

Beating us isn’t the problem. It’s consistency. And your absolute comedian of a manager. Shams will be 3rd again a good 10 points behind 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

damemcd wrote: »

Reason Madden was sold as his legs are going. Still a good player.

But Boyle is younger,quicker & I think will perform better than Madden this season.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Would agree with you that it'll be close but I'd fancy Dundalk to win the league with two games to spare.

I may have to revise this if we were to continue to play as badly as we did last night. We were very poor overall even though we won 3-1 and should of had at least another couple. Have a few players out injured but I'd still expect the first eleven that started to blow Drogheda away preseason or not. We have three games including two against decent opposition in Spain before the presidents Cup so plenty of time to get things right

Shams were the only team outside the top 2 able to give us a real game last season!.

You left out "before Maguire left" at the end of that statement.

You left out "before Maguire left" at the end of that statement.

No i didn’t. The games we lost after he left were generally down to overall poor play. Shams destroyed us in a flattering (to us) 3-1 in September.

Before Maguire left the only team to give us a real scare was Bray ffs before their wheels came off.

No i didn’t. The games we lost after he left were generally down to overall poor play. Shams destroyed us in a flattering (to us) 3-1 in September.

Before Maguire left the only team to give us a real scare was Bray ffs before their wheels came off.

We beat you once and Cork came from behind with late goals to beat us in the other two games. One of them winners was straight from a corner kick. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Oat23 wrote: »
    We beat you once and Cork came from behind with late goals to beat us in the other two games. One of them winners was straight from a corner kick. :confused:
    But we beat them because they played badly, not because we played well. At least I think that is his logic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I may have to revise this if we were to continue to play as badly as we did last night. We were very poor overall even though we won 3-1 and should of had at least another couple. Have a few players out injured but I'd still expect the first eleven that started to blow Drogheda away preseason or not. We have three games including two against decent opposition in Spain before the presidents Cup so plenty of time to get things right

It was a Pre Season Friendly. Performances and results mean nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It was a Pre Season Friendly. Performances and results mean nothing

It was & I don't think Drogheda will do badly this year.

But Dundalk badly need 1-2 top quality signings. But they will probably get them with the new investment.

Rovers not signed that well so far but I think they will be closer this year.

But we beat them because they played badly, not because we played well. At least I think that is his logic.

Your goal was an over hit cross. Sligo offered nothing at all that night and got lucky.

CCFC would never have scored had that match went on for days. JC actually apologised after the game for how abject the display was.

Shams were the only team to outplay us last season. Sligo got a lucky break but let’s not pretend it was anything other than it was.

Your goal was an over hit cross. Sligo offered nothing at all that night and got lucky.

CCFC would never have scored had that match went on for days. JC actually apologised after the game for how abject the display was.

Shams were the only team to outplay us last season. Sligo got a lucky break but let’s not pretend it was anything other than it was.

That game was after Maguire left when you were crap every week so it doesn't really matter. I mentioned it to show we gave you a proper game multiple times last season.

In the other two games I'm pretty sure you were losing with about 20 minutes left in both and won them both in the final 10 minutes, including one goal straight from a corner. Not sure how that isn't giving you a 'scare' as you call it.

Grand job. I will “fear” relegation fodder Sligo as well so. Happy?

There should always be a sense of fear when you think of Sligo Rovers. If our scouting network collapses you're screwed.

Indeed. Zing.

MD1990 wrote: »
    It was & I don't think Drogheda will do badly this year.

But Dundalk badly need 1-2 top quality signings. But they will probably get them with the new investment.

Rovers not signed that well so far but I think they will be closer this year.

On the first half performance Drogheda will be in with a chance of promotion. Fast and lively and not afraid to take a chance when given space. To be fair Rossiter’s shot off the bar was terrific. 2nd half was different but Dundalk were poor in front of goal. I know it was a weakened team, but they laboured in front of goal. Penalty was soft.

Did anybody else notice ‘that’ derelict laneway behind the town goals was not derelict any more. (Between Joe’s and Oriel). This have anything to do with Dundalk or a developer making a path into a field behind Oriel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

We've been in the premier division for every season of your clubs short history. Hardly relegation fodder.

Ill take solace in my clubs recent league and cup double while looking down at clubs who bask in their history.

• Advertisement

We've been in the premier division for every season of your clubs short history. Hardly relegation fodder.

I suppose ye could always claim a bit of the Double we just won. Campion equaliser and Sadlier bottom left peno to win it, cheers boys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Ill take solace in my clubs recent league and cup double while looking down at clubs who bask in their history.

you boys have short memories.
    yes you are currently successful
    yes you are one of best teams currently in the LoI

Every dog has its day and its currently yours

i dont recall cork putting up much of a fight when Sligo were winning leagues, league cups and FAI cups from 2010 to 2014
    In fact Sligo and Shams were the best two teams in the division back then (similar to the cork and dundalk scenario now) a fact confirmed by Micheal O Neill when he stated as shams boss the only games he looked forward too were the match up with sligo

so enjoy your success, it goes as quick as it comes but dont look down your nose at us because our day will come again

Looks like Ogbene is off to Brentford for €/£200k.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

its going to be painful if a cork fan looks back beyond the short term. Lets forgive them their amnesia. I'm sure they've picked up a few bandwagoners who don't genuinely dont know what followed a Cork City's last title success either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Yeah, 90 years of history ;)

Us doing a Double after only 7 short years of "existence" is clearly cutting the Sligo army to the bone. Enjoy the season lads, I never enjoy when we play ye because the players lift their game trying to get that coveted move.

yes you are currently successful
    yes you are one of best teams currently in the LoI

Every dog has its day and its currently yours

i dont recall cork putting up much of a fight when Sligo were winning leagues, league cups and FAI cups from 2010 to 2014
    In fact Sligo and Shams were the best two teams in the division back then (similar to the cork and dundalk scenario now) a fact confirmed by Micheal O Neill when he stated as shams boss the only games he looked forward too were the match up with sligo

so enjoy your success, it goes as quick as it comes but dont look down your nose at us because our day will come again

It's a very different situation this time round. There is far too much money involved now for Cork to make a balls of this club. Dundalk, Cork & Shams are going to dominate for a long time. A different club might have a great season now and again but their best players will be signed up quickly by the 'big 3' with the massive cash reserves they'll have built up from competing in Europe every year.

Cork for example will earn more than 50% of our entire running cost from 1 round of European prize money this season.

CHealy wrote: »
    Us doing a Double after only 7 short years of "existence" is clearly cutting the Sligo army to the bone. Enjoy the season lads, I never enjoy when we play ye because the players lift their game trying to get that coveted move.

Out of curiosity CH, where do you get the 7 years from? I thought City were in ‘existence’ since 1984?

also do you recall a post a few years ago where you had a post on programmers, ( Cork Celtic, Hibs etc) some terrific programmers in that post, would it be possible to post ithem again? :)

I take Oats point that City, Rovers, Dundalk etc should manage to stay on top with the euro money but its not long ago Bohs were collecting €400k for winning the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

joeysoap wrote: »

I take Oats point that City, Rovers, Dundalk etc should manage to stay on top with the euro money but its not long ago Bohs were collecting €400k for winning the league.

The money Bohs had pales in comparison to what Rovers blew from Europe and what Dundalk won in Europe.

When was the league winning prize money hit 400k?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement