Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

overshoot wrote: »
    thats twice now they have gone out with the begging bowl and then signed players. frankly despicable, and could easily end up with a boy who cried wolf scenario

Like i've said doing pretty much nothing themselves to get money in.

Lot of people saying the FAI should be giving the money they will get from the Euros to LOI clubs. While i agree they should spend it on the league as a whole they definitely shouldn't be just giving it to clubs. If they do things wont change, they'll just waste the money and come back looking for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

cms88 wrote: »
    Like i've said doing pretty much nothing themselves to get money in.

Lot of people saying the FAI should be giving the money they will get from the Euros to LOI clubs. While i agree they should spend it on the league as a whole they definitely shouldn't be just giving it to clubs. If they do things wont change, they'll just waste the money and come back looking for more

100%
    I think the way Bohs were helped to get Dalymount redeveloped is the model to follow.

If x amount of Euro's money was made available to clubs to invest in infrastructure /underage structures it would be far more beneficial rather than just cutting them a check or throwing it into the prize money pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Athlone just announced a load of new signings on their website - haven't heard of one of them.

Although one of them is called Jason Boateng :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not surprised after that performance or his body language towards the end of the game. Looked like he had just given up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Athlone just announced a load of new signings on their website - haven't heard of one of them.

Although one of them is called Jason Boateng :P

Mainly players from the U19 and a few lads from the local Junior sides.

Craig Shortt played U17 and U19 with Athlone, then moved to Wexford Youths for a little while but work committments meant he moved back into the Junior scene in the Midlands with Birr Town.

Daragh Concannon played with Ballinasloe Town either side of a brief spell with Longford.

Apart from that a couple more came through the underage and got an occassional game with the 1st team in the Leinster Senior Cup, but thats the height of the LOI experience from all the new signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Patww79 wrote: »
    Shame that. Wasn't going well but nobody could do a job there.

A few people are saying that but I actually think we've a decent squad for 1st Division level. If we can get the right person in I think we'll improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Is the Pats game on the box tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its actually on tomorrow night, The match is not on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

The game is on tomorrow but it certainly isn't being televised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Mainly players from the U19 and a few lads from the local Junior sides.

Craig Shortt played U17 and U19 with Athlone, then moved to Wexford Youths for a little while but work committments meant he moved back into the Junior scene in the Midlands with Birr Town.

Daragh Concannon played with Ballinasloe Town either side of a brief spell with Longford.

Apart from that a couple more came through the underage and got an occassional game with the 1st team in the Leinster Senior Cup, but thats the height of the LOI experience from all the new signings.

Craig "Shortarse" Shortt was totally decent with us, very respectable young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

kksaints wrote: »
    Its actually on tomorrow night, The match is not on television.

Whoops! Thought today was Tuesday for some reason 😳

That's a bit of a bummer with no Euros matches on tomorrow but ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Craig "Shortarse" Shortt was totally decent with us, very respectable young player.

Yeah he captained out underage sides and then seemed to disappear. I didnt realise until recently he had a spell with Wexford. He covered RB, CB and CM for our 17's and 19's and looked comfortable in all.

Put in a decent performance against Cobh on Friday but Cobh were terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Whoops! Thought today was Tuesday for some reason 😳

That's a bit of a bummer with no Euros matches on tomorrow but ah well

Completely agree. I think the LoI missed out on a bit of decent exposure. It's a pity RTE wouldn't consider showing it, with a lot of people interested in soccer at the moment and how the Irish team did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Frogdog wrote: »
    Completely agree. I think the LoI missed out on a bit of decent exposure. It's a pity RTE wouldn't consider showing it, with a lot of people interested in soccer at the moment and how the Irish team did.

Pats wouldn't want RTE to show it. Hard enough to get a crowd to games in the rain without it being on TV

And we know RTE wouldn't pay for it...

Dodge wrote: »
    Pats wouldn't want RTE to show it. Hard enough to get a crowd to games in the rain without it being on TV

And we know RTE wouldn't pay for it...

RTE aren't the issue. Prior to the league - FAI merger, RTE paid clubs for LOI matches they showed.
    After the merger it went into a live matches pool which the FAI get from RTE.
    RTE would and have argued that clubs issues over payment for live matches are with the FAI.

RTE aren't the issue. Prior to the league - FAI merger, RTE paid clubs for LOI matches they showed.
    After the merger it went into a live matches pool which the FAI get from RTE.
    RTE would and have argued that clubs issues over payment for live matches are with the FAI.

None of that is relevant to a Pats European game.

RTE can't/won't pay for the rights to show Irish clubs in Europe.

Dodge wrote: »
    None of that is relevant to a Pats European game.

RTE can't/won't pay for the rights to show Irish clubs in Europe.

Again RTE pay into a pool to UEFA as do all the major national TV channels around Europe.

Where do you think 200k each comes from for Pats & Jeunesse Esch to play in the first qualifying round of the Europa League in front of a combined attendance of around 2,000 over 2 games.

• Advertisement

Again RTE pay into a pool to UEFA as do all the major national TV channels around Europe.

Where do you think 200k each comes from for Pats & Jeunesse Esch to play in the first qualifying round of the Europa League in front of a combined attendance of around 2,000 over 2 games.

*sigh*

Each qualifying round game is not covered by ANY TV contract. Clubs are free to sell the rights to these games themselves.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article 60.02
    Subject to Paragraph 60.02(c), all media rights in and to the competition, excluding any qualifying phase and play-off matches, are exploited by UEFA.

Article 61.1
    Member associations and their affiliated organisations and/or clubs are authorised to exploit the commercial rights of the home qualifying phase and play-off matches which take place under their respective auspices

So if Setanta, for example, want to show Linfield v Cork City, they must pay for it. If RTE wish to show any game, they must pay for it. Qualifying games are under no over-arching contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Patww79 wrote: »

My deepest condolences to all Shels supporters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Not in Qualifers they dont!

Happy enough with Heary, just a bit confused as to it only being until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

CSF wrote: »
    Happy enough with Heary, just a bit confused as to it only being until the end of the season.

If the players won't play for him you will be happy not to have to pay him off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Frogdog wrote:

St Pats are struggling to get 800 people into home games in the league. Live coverage on RTE wouldn't help the gate. People would be better off supporting their National league by going to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Good luck to Pats for the fixture..and Cork and Shams later in week(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

prodsc wrote: »
    If the players won't play for him you will be happy not to have to pay him off!!

Won't be a problem, we don't sign snobs. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

madanall wrote: »
    St Pats are struggling to get 800 people into home games in the league. Live coverage on RTE wouldn't help the gate. People would be better off supporting their National league by going to the game.

If matches aren't shown on TV then nobody knows the league exists. Showing matches on TV is an advertisement to people who potentially will go in the future.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Showing matches on TV is an advertisement to people who potentially will go in the future.
    That should be the case, but sadly unless there's a bandwagon to jump on it doesn't happen. And then they hop off at the first stop!

If matches aren't shown on TV then nobody knows the league exists. Showing matches on TV is an advertisement to people who potentially will go in the future.

What kind of an advertisement is a couple of hundred people on a wet midweek night?

My own view would be pick 10 league games (derbies, title challenges, European challenges, relegation play offs) and then pick one or 2 European ties. Stay away from televising meaningless dead rubbers.

Take for instance last years relegation play offs. There was 5,000 people at the both games between Limerick & Harps and they turned out to be thrillers. But they weren't televised but Pats & Bray on a Friday night playing for nothing was?
    It's crazy. A 10 game package that I'm talking about might actually have some value and would be a genuine advertisement for the league.

Instead of that the current mindset is everyone complains about not being on TV enough but offer clubs the chance to be on TV and they complain they are on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

That's not necessarily true. Have a look at the amount of people that like the facebook pages of clubs. People know the league exists and that the next match is Friday etc. One of the problems is that clubs can't get these same people to go to their matches. There is an extremely low conversion rate from people who follow the club's social media into paying customers.

Granted clubs don't have the money to pay marketing staff etc but it's not true to say nobody knows the league exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not in Qualifers they dont!

AFTER the away 1 - 1 draw last year Dundalk negotiated the screening of home match with RTE. I don't think they got a lot for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What kind of an advertisement is a couple of hundred people on a wet midweek night?

My own view would be pick 10 league games (derbies, title challenges, European challenges, relegation play offs) and then pick one or 2 European ties. Stay away from televising meaningless dead rubbers.

Take for instance last years relegation play offs. There was 5,000 people at the both games between Limerick & Harps and they turned out to be thrillers. But they weren't televised but Pats & Bray on a Friday night playing for nothing was?
    It's crazy. A 10 game package that I'm talking about might actually have some value and would be a genuine advertisement for the league.

Instead of that the current mindset is everyone complains about not being on TV enough but offer clubs the chance to be on TV and they complain they are on TV!
    It doesn't have to be restricted to 10 games but I agree they need to be smarter about there pick of games. Most good LOI games should attract 1000 though unless its a Longford or Wexford home game. Derry vs Dundalk this weekend would have been a good game live if the Euro's where not on.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be restricted to 10 games but I agree they need to be smarter about there pick of games. Most good LOI games should attract 1000 though unless its a Longford or Wexford home game. Derry vs Dundalk this weekend would have been a good game live if the Euro's where not on.

There's always major sporting events on. The league has to get over it, put the structures in place to at least try to compete.
    Absolutely 1k should be a minimum attendance for PD clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Akinade leaving Bohs?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Akinade leaving Bohs?

Is he?

Dunno heard a whispering.

In other news Clancy leaves Rovers for family reasons and then lines out for bray. Call a spade a spade ffs

Dunno heard a whispering.

In other news Clancy leaves Rovers for family reasons and then lines out for bray. Call a spade a spade ffs

To be fair, being closer to Dublin may well be a thing if there's family issues.

• Advertisement

Clancy leaving is a blow. He was easily the best header of a ball that we had. Between this and our complete lack of a goalscorer at the other end I can't say i'm overly optimistic about the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Akinade leaving Bohs?

I heard a rumour about this a week ago. Bohs will want decent money and only a few clubs could afford a transfer fee/compensation payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Clancy leaving is a blow. He was easily the best header of a ball that we had. Between this and our complete lack of a goalscorer at the other end I can't say i'm overly optimistic about the rest of the season.

He has played 51 minutes of league football for us since March. He was solid for us at the end of last season, no doubt. But there's no way his leaving is having any impact on our season.

The July window hasn't even opened yet and people on the rovers forum are losing their sh*t about our squad being too thin.

Oat23 wrote: »
    He has played 51 minutes of league football for us since March. He was solid for us at the end of last season, no doubt. But there's no way his leaving is having any impact on our season.

The July window hasn't even opened yet and people on the rovers forum are losing their sh*t about our squad being too thin.

So we're alright for an aerially combative defender and a goalscorer?

phew.

No wait, we're not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

So we're alright for an aerially combative defender and a goalscorer?

phew.

No wait, we're not at all.

Did you ignore half of my post? The window hasn't even opened yet. How is he supposed to replace players when the window is closed?

Clancy hasn't been winning headers for us since March because he has been injured, yet we have done fine. Why do you think we suddenly need a defender who is great in the air when we have picked up 18 points without one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Eric Foley left Galway and lined out for Bray too the other day.

John Sullivan left Galway too to move back to Dublin.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Why do you think we suddenly need a defender who is great in the air when we have picked up 18 points without one?

I think it's a nice option to have, especially in the LOI and I also think he is a very capable defender in general. But fair enough, he didn't want to stick around and that's definitely not Robertson's fault.

Eric Foley left Galway and lined out for Bray too the other day.

John Sullivan left Galway too to move back to Dublin.
    Sullivan has already officially joined Bray too.

That Rovers forum has some ****ing gob****es, I wouldn't worry too much about most of them. They are the type of fan who think they are better than the rest of us.

Rovers need to do better fitness checks, Clancy carrying some injury when signed and didn't really improve from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted Sullivan is back, hopefully it'll go well again and can start to pick up a run!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement