Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Guilty of a different crime that was reported incorrectly by newspapers, hence why the articles were taken down.

How different or are we talking legal technicality. I'm aware of the actions against most of the national newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Barry Cotter completes his move to Ipswich, three and half year contract. Fee supposedly to be around €80,000 (with add ons too I think) and if you go by Andrew Cunneen's tweets then the initial fee for Ogbene was around the €60,000 but with some hefty add ons I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Barry Cotter completes his move to Ipswich, three and half year contract. Fee supposedly to be around €80,000 (with add ons too I think) and if you go by Andrew Cunneen's tweets then the initial fee for Ogbene was around the €60,000 but with some hefty add ons I'd say.
    He looked very suspect the few times I saw him for Limerick last season

Football League clubs are taking punts on young LOI players like no tomorrow now, 80k is a cheap fee for low-budget Championship team like Ipswich and a massive fee for any LOI club to ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ohmeha wrote: »
    He looked very suspect the few times I saw him for Limerick last season

Football League clubs are taking punts on young LOI players like no tomorrow now, 80k is a cheap fee for low-budget Championship team like Ipswich and a massive fee for any LOI club to ignore

His athleticism is main the reason why he & Ogbene are getting moves. It is critical in England in particular.

Cotter has some ability but can be error-prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 has it one. Cotter has the athleticism that they love in England, the kids an out and out athlete. He's a decent footballer but his decision making and the speed he makes the decisions need to improve big time along with his attitude.

Think he got thrown into the deep end last season after Shaun Kelly (massive fan favourite) was released and he's got a ****ty attitude too so fans never warmed to him but he had his good as well as poorer moments during his run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Cape Clear wrote: »
    How different or are we talking legal technicality. I'm aware of the actions against most of the national newspapers.

Much much less severe than the crime he is being accused of. Pretty much every boy who loses his virginity as a teenager commits this “crime”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

MD1990 wrote: »
    His athleticism is main the reason why he & Ogbene are getting moves. It is critical in England in particular.

Cotter has some ability but can be error-prone.
    No doubt that they have strong athleticism but both will have to step up a few levels in their respective abilities to cut it in the Championship

80k isn't too much to Ipswich but I am surprised they are back taking punts on young unproven LOI players with Cotter and Drinan when the last time they took punts back in 2013/14 on young unproven athletic players like Jack Doherty, Dylan Connolly and Adam McDonnell all turned out to be busts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Pretty much every boy who loses his virginity as a teenager commits this “crime”.

Well that's just wrong, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen. All legal ages, if both parties are those ages or above.

There's also direct quotes from the victim that show it was a completely different case to
    "Pretty much every boy who loses his virginity as a teenager".

Ohmeha wrote: »
    No doubt that they have strong athleticism but both will have to step up a few levels in their respective abilities to cut it in the Championship

80k isn't too much to Ipswich but I am surprised they are back taking punts on young unproven LOI players with Cotter and Drinan when the last time they took punts back in 2013/14 on young unproven athletic players like Jack Doherty, Dylan Connolly and Adam McDonnell all turned out to be busts.

Not surprising because if one if them turn out to be as good or half as good as some of the LOI players like Coleman.McClean,Holahan etc they will save or make the club millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Much much less severe than the crime he is being accused of. Pretty much every boy who loses his virginity as a teenager commits this “crime”.

I find this bizarre to say the least. The idea that a number of national newspapers not just one would incorrectly report on a case doesn't add up. when are these cases likely to be heard or are they on-going? PM me if you are not comfortable posting details here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Excuse me, have I read this correctly? This is revisionism to the extreme.

He was convicted in a court of law, that is considerably beyond the accusation stage, & for a crime that is notoriously diffcult to get a conviction for in this (& other) jurisdictions, so to suggest he has been hard done by or suchlike I find repugnant.

I'm just delighted that the club I support made it clear they would never entertain signing such a person.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dundalk sign Krisztian Adorjan on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

On the fair play subject: UCD qualified fior Europe few seasons back through the fair play league. It was a nice incentive for clubs, but not if the FAI get the money now.

Andy Boyle on loan to Doncaster from Preston. I think Boyle’s problem is his height. Championship defenders all seem to be 6’ +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Didn’t saint Stephen win that??

:D

We normally do win it so not sure what your point is?

From following the LOI generally (and not just locally) I think Dundalk and Limerick were clubs with the least amount of bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

joeysoap wrote: »
    From following the LOI generally (and not just locally) I think Dundalk and Limerick were clubs with the least amount of bookings.

The last few seasons Dundalk won it with Cork second. Would be surprised if it wasn't one of those two clubs that won it for 2017 also.

Some interesting signings in recent weeks. Good to see some foreign players joining.

Adorjan signed is a bit surprising. Hard to know how he will do but they already have Murray & McGrath who are 10's.

I don't think Murray can play up front on his own.

How many reds did SR have in 2017?

The answer is apparently 10 if this article is correct (sorry MrMac84, St Stephen is mentioned :) a few times)

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2018/01/31/time-shamrock-rovers-embrace-ballers-brawlers/

The answer is apparently 10 if this article is correct (sorry MrMac84, St Stephen is mentioned :) a few times)

http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2018/01/31/time-shamrock-rovers-embrace-ballers-brawlers/

Shocking article, author clearly has a huge chip on his shoulder when it comes to Rovers.
    If he had titled it something like "what Bradley can learn from Kenny" it would have been slightly better but not much.
    He titles it what he does then proceeds to spend half of it brown nosing Kenny and then fails to mention that when Rovers did cop on last year at times they played some beautiful football.
    Couldn't have written a more biased article if he had tried.

I think he’s saying Dundalk won’t be signing Stokes anytime soon. I agree Rovers did play some very attractive football last year. Finn was as big a loss to Dundalk as Boyle and Horgan.

• Advertisement

I think he’s saying Dundalk won’t be signing Stokes anytime soon. I agree Rovers did play some very attractive football last year. Finn was as big a loss to Dundalk as Boyle and Horgan.

Yeah i got that point, it was lines like this that annoyed me though, saying Kenny "never won over a dressing room of players and egos that preceded his arrival". Or this one "Rovers suffered ten red cards. This is a shoddy record and should have been even higher." "An alleged incident last season merits mention. An opposition player was rounded on by members of the Rovers coaching staff" very damming statements about rovers without any evidence whatsoever to back them up, the second one he offers some evidence with a stamp incident but by saying "even higher" instead of "11 not 10" he alludes to more cards that he doesn't back up.
    Just a very shoddy, unprofessional article in general that you wouldn't expect to see published as if it were a neutral article.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

joeysoap wrote:
    Andy Boyle on loan to Doncaster from Preston. I think Boyle’s problem is his height. Championship defenders all seem to be 6’ +.

I expect you'll find that most of the centre-halves in Ireland are over 6 foot too.

Incredibly bad article.

If anything Rovers try to play too much football at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

D14Rugby wrote: »
    saying Kenny "never won over a dressing room of players and egos that preceded his arrival".

10 bonus points for which club the author supports so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

so Michael O'Connor has gone from being linked to a move to england to lining out alongside his brother for us tonight v Sligo

overshoot wrote: »
    so Michael O'Connor has gone from being linked to a move to england to lining out alongside his brother for us tonight v Sligo

My money would say he was away on trial in England when Rovers flew to the tournament and they could only bring a certain size squad for it, so as opposed to leaving space for him and potentially wasting a space they gave it to a trialist and are letting him play for other clubs to get fitness until they gets back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

yea id get the first part, no point in him linking up with shams at this point if hes just back from england. Going to train with his brother makes sense too. but why the hell would we giving him game time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

dfx- wrote: »
    10 bonus points for which club the author supports so...

Athlone!! It sounds most like the author would be a Dundalk fan by the quote above, going by things these days. Isnt Jonny Ward a Bohs fan though?

The contrast lol.
    http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2018/01/18/caution-needed-investment-league-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Athlone!! It sounds most like the author would be a Dundalk fan by the quote above, going by things these days. Isnt Jonny Ward a Bohs fan though?

The contrast lol.
    http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2018/01/18/caution-needed-investment-league-ireland/

No he supports Galway United. Never shuts up about them in the LOI Weekly podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers are an easy target when looking to generate 'chatter' but to be fair for all the nonsense in the article he's not wrong about the discipline at Rovers, its shocking & is an area that definitely needs addressing.

To an extent I can forgive the red cards v Dundalk as they are extremely good at being a dirty side when they want to be but are great at keeping it under the radar (FTR thats not a criticism, all successful sides have it as part of their game) whereas Rovers seem to be lacking the sublety/cleverness required to avoid the 'easy decision' red cards... but some of the others have been downright stupid & the players really should know better. If Bradley cant curb that this season its a severe handicap to be overcome in trying to bridge the gap to the teams above.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    yea id get the first part, no point in him linking up with shams at this point if hes just back from england. Going to train with his brother makes sense too. but why the hell would we giving him game time?

It's happened before with loi clubs i think. I don't know why harps would do it, to build good relations maybe? So when a good Rovers player becomes available for loan if they want him they can go "remember when we gave O'Connor some game time?" and jump up the q a bit?

Just from a pure growing the league view that article is shocking. Imagine you're thinking of starting to head to Rovers games and then you read that, an article that just calls them thugs and doesn't mention the great football they play at times. You're hardly going to head down are you? Both him and whoever allowed that article to be published need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Isnt that the site that was looking for a €70 membership fee a few years back? Reads like a transition year project.

I think it Galway he supports. Is he the same Johnny Ward that was in fair city?

Slightly surprised when Dundalk released O’Connor but by all accounts he told the manager to ...............

And while MrMac 84 has him down for sainthood :) he’s not that much of a saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

A D- Transition project at that.....

damemcd wrote: »
    A D- Transition project at that.....

If the marker is feeling generous and cant be arsed grading a redo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Away fans will be glad to know that a brand new block of toilets and wheelchair access to the St.Annes End will be ready by the start of the season, bringing an end to the portaloo reign at that end of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dundalks new owners to meet the fans tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

How much are the Yanks charging in?

• Advertisement

damemcd wrote: »
    How much are the Yanks charging in?

A dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've signed Jake Keegan from FC Edmonton. A striker as cover for Fagan.He played with Galway before so do any Galway fans know is he any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kksaints wrote: »
    We've signed Jake Keegan from FC Edmonton. A striker as cover for Fagan.He played with Galway before so do any Galway fans know is he any use?

Wasn't he with ye for a very short period before us? Anyway, cracking player, hardworking, quick, good touch, good finisher. Surprised he's coming back though.

Wasn't he with ye for a very short period before us? Anyway, cracking player, hardworking, quick, good touch, good finisher. Surprised he's coming back though.

That was a different Jake Keegan who was a winger I thought.

Same one, he's a winger/attacker/striker. Can play any position across the front.

• Advertisement

Same one, he's a winger/attacker/striker. Can play any position across the front.

He was never with us before asfaik. Jordan Keegan was the player I was thinking of from around 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

He scored 33 goals for Galway United in two seasons with the club.

One season was in the First Division, one season was in the Premier Division. He scored more goals in the Premier.

He's very fit, incredibly hard working and a good finisher. He's versatile too, can play as a 9 or on the wing, but he's much better through the middle.

His link up play/touch can let him down at times, but I have no doubt, he will be a good addition to Pats. He's comfortable playing anywhere in the final third, he works his bóllocks off and will score goals.

Obviously disappointed that he's not back with us but obviously we can't offer near the money that Pats can or Premier Division football, unfortunately that reality won't stop some of our muppet fans moaning about it though.

He was never with us before asfaik. Jordan Keegan was the player I was thinking of from around 2011.

Either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Another penalty shootout win for Rovers in Portugal last night, they now play IFK Norkopping in the 3/4th place playoff of the Atlantic Cup on Tuesday. Fixture pileup already evident as they are down to play Mochta's in the LSC this Weds night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't know how strong the Hammarby side was, but Rovers were by far the better team until the last ten minutes. Lots of scuffed shots though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement