Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pats 3 up vs Bray....after 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

dfx- wrote: »
    Don't know how strong the Hammarby side was, but Rovers were by far the better team until the last ten minutes. Lots of scuffed shots though.
    How did you catch the game if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

How did you catch the game if you don't mind me asking?

They are being shown on Swedish TV (probably betting sites too) so it's likely there are streams around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalks new owners to meet the fans tomorrow

Link here, (it’s a bit long for non Dundalk fans )

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/20327/watch-new-dundalk-owners-peak6-answer-questions-at-public-meeting/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mushy wrote: »
    Pats 3 up vs Bray....after 10 minutes
    Final score?

Please please tell me Bray are worse than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

joeysoap wrote: »

Defo, but what do you think? Confident or are they over reaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/960470242551091200

Sam Byrne joining Dundalk. Could be a very good signing. Highly rated.

bot43 wrote: »
    Defo, but what do you think? Confident or are they over reaching?

Well, they’re saying that they are football fans. They are also saying Oriel wil only be developed on the back of success.

Their main promise was to develop the team to qualify for Europe every year.

One of the fans asked will they be around long enough to develop a Dundalk accent :) (around 55 mins)

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/960470242551091200

Sam Byrne joining Dundalk. Could be a very good signing. Highly rated.

I heard we had hijacked that. Clearly not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Somewhat relevant, the FAI's coverage of the Irish Junior team is really poor. They posted nothing about the Quadrangular Tournament last November and I don't think they've posted anything in regard to Munster/Ulster vs Connacht/Leinster for the Regions Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Been a mixed bag for Dundalk over the last few days. On the field we are starting to look strong. Beat FC Seoul 1-0 in Spain with a number of the new signings looking fantastic especially Adorjan and Chvedukas. I'm feeling a lot more confidant of our chances of winning the league. However I'm feeling a lot more nervous regarding the takeover. Short term might be fun, we'll win a few leagues and have some adventures in Europe but when it inevitably goes tits up we could find ourselves back in the first division as a members owned club with a tiny budget and the same ****ty stadium that has remained untouched in 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I heard we had hijacked that. Clearly not :(

Last I heard Byrne could be signed today on loan with the view of a permanent deal in the summer. Apparently another exciting player to be unveiled but we've had a few signings fall through over the last few weeks so I wont get my hopes up just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Has Daniel Cleary signed for Rovers yet? He has played a few matches on trial but not sure if he has signed yet. The league is shaping up nicely this year, could be an exciting season..

Has Daniel Cleary signed for Rovers yet? He has played a few matches on trial but not sure if he has signed yet. The league is shaping up nicely this year, could be an exciting season..

He hasn't signed. Doesn't look great. Gilchrist looks awful as well. But Lopez & Grace is an excellent partnership. Joey o'Brien signed now too but he has injury problems.

Dan Carr a striker on trial looks a good player too expect him to be signed.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Been a mixed bag for Dundalk over the last few days. On the field we are starting to look strong. Beat FC Seoul 1-0 in Spain with a number of the new signings looking fantastic especially Adorjan and Chvedukas. I'm feeling a lot more confidant of our chances of winning the league. However I'm feeling a lot more nervous regarding the takeover. Short term might be fun, we'll win a few leagues and have some adventures in Europe but when it inevitably goes tits up we could find ourselves back in the first division as a members owned club with a tiny budget and the same ****ty stadium that has remained untouched in 30 years.

Very very worrying.

Saw a bit of the live stream they have no interest in developing Oriel.

Considering Kenny was rightly saying a few months ago how key improving the facilities are the fact Peak 6 have little interest is worrying.

osarusan wrote: »
    Final score?

Please please tell me Bray are worse than us.

3-1. Dunno is that a case of Bray waking up or Pats going easy.

They'll be down there for sure, then the rails will come off and it'll be one way traffic.

Bray got the PD licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just seen that there now on twitter. Commiserations everyone.
    Let's see if they manage the season without embarrassing us all.

Athlone also given a premier licence so standards aren't exactly high.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers' third friendly in the Atlantic Cup and for the second time, a first half red card. Shaw's turn this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Michael O'Connor confirmed to Harps... It seems Ollie has transitioned from defensive coach to all out attack now.

Rovers' third friendly in the Atlantic Cup and for the second time, a first half red card. Shaw's turn this time.

It’s a badge of honour ( or maybe just a side bet on PP :))

Red heads are naturally fiery. Can't blame Bradley.

As someone pointed out on twitter it is minnowism at its very finest that clubs are celebrating getting their licenses on social media (or even mentioning it). Its like a restaurant saying it has passed a health inspection. It is a basic requirement to compete ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As someone pointed out on twitter it is minnowism at its very finest that clubs are celebrating getting their licenses on social media (or even mentioning it). Its like a restaurant saying it has passed a health inspection. It is a basic requirement to compete ffs.

And as we have found out previously in terms of a clubs solvency it is not worth the paper it is written on. Harder to get a dog licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

bot43 wrote:

#greatestleagueintheworld

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Derry Pele 2nd best in Europe at skinning lads.

https://twitter.com/simonjfarrant/status/961188266836930564/photo/1

Lee-J Lynch leaving limerick? Another club or quitting the game. Decent footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's been no rumours of what he's doing but was known for awhile that the chances of him re-signing was slim to none. Don't know why he's waited till now to publicly announce he's not re-signing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Lee J back to Rovers?

• Advertisement

He met with Sligo back in November, if he was going back to Sligo would be sorted by now and not a week and half before the season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Sligo signed McAleer in November too, likely a case of exploring their options and he was the one signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

joeysoap wrote: »

I couldn't make the open night with the new owners but I notice that there has been no mention of the money generated by the success in Europe last year. Any mention of what has happened to the estimated 4 to 7 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's stupid simply because you're guaranteed to get a license in this league, as Bray & Athlone have shown. The FAI don't care.

However informing fans that you have secured a license for the new season isn't exactly 'celebrating'. Clubs all over the continent (Germany in particular) inform fans on twitter/their website that they have been awarded a license each year. It's not bragging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

irish_goat wrote: »
    Derry Pele 2nd best in Europe at skinning lads.

https://twitter.com/simonjfarrant/status/961188266836930564/photo/1

what is this?

edit. best at skinning people. pity the most skillful player in Ireland will be playing in the 2nd tier this season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I couldn't make the open night with the new owners but I notice that there has been no mention of the money generated by the success in Europe last year. Any mention of what has happened to the estimated 4 to 7 million?

That just becomes equity and would've been taken by previous owners I would've thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Nothing directly said about it and if you ask me the new owners got off lightly with questions placed. If it wasnt public you could believe it was all staged. No one asked publically about:
    Who owns what share of the club and what was paid??
    How it was paid and if the club will carry the debts???
    Has the earned money remained in the club???

The new CEO however did give the impression that the next few years are safe money wise......think it was in the Democrat or Dundalksport that I read it. Personally dont think we will ever get the answers from the new owners, they seem to be good press people, talk a lot and never give away too much...Paul and Andy however are well within their rights to take a cut and leave with a hefty profit.

I thought the profits for 2016 were shown 3m? I think the club got around 6.2m
    But the costs were pretty steep too and they paid 1m in bonus payments to the players. The buy out of the YDC and lease cost as did the new pitch.

https://talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-fc-report-profits-of-e3-3-million-on-back-of-historic-european-campaign/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dundalk sigh former Swansea youth goalkeeper Ross Treacy. Not sure of his level but would be good to have a keeper we can rely on

The lack of interest the new owners have in Oriel Park is a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Not to me to be honest. A shiny new stadium would be great but at this point in time makes zero business sense. If we are making europe regularly it makes a lot more sense.

Some of the new signings are looking good and I would prefer the investment there for now. Better to have a good team in a sh*t stadium than a sh*t team in a good stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

They are there to make money for themselves and their investors, not for the good of Dundalk or its people, thats the nature of investment funds. Now why they think they can make money from a LOI is beyond me but Dundalk will probably see some substantial short term success (more so than the last 4 years? How much better can it get?) and a few good cracks off EL or CL group stages but realistically it'll be even harder to get to the group stages now with the new system which favours the big leagues. They will have to get incredibly lucky to make a return on investment like the two lads who just sold the club. The next few years will probably be all Dundalk but what would worry me if I was a fan is what happens once they dont do a Rosenborg on it and they've spent all this money to win a few leagues where they get 100k for the pleasure. We've seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It is all very predictable. Investors will only invest money in areas where they will get a return in the short to medium term.

Any return from building a new Oriel Park could take generations to materialise, if at all.

The best hope of a new Oriel went when Andy and Paul sold the club.

This doesn't mean that essential works should not take place in Oriel. Just as the MFA are finally putting toilets in place for away fans, we should do the same. There is no excuse for the way away fans have been treated in grounds like Oriel, TX, and others down the years.

Dundalk fans need to organise in order to apply pressure on the new owners to meet their responsibilities to treat fans (both home and away) properly.

Why? What's the point of pumping money into Oriel Park or building a new stadium in the short term and the team then struggling on the pitch, the nature of LOI is if the team aren't performing on the pitch then fans will fall away leaving Dundalk with a lovely stadium and no one to fill it.

Even if the previous owners didn't sell the club I'm sure they'd still put the upgrading of Oriel Park on the long finger and prioritise keeping the senior team strong and competing because without a senior team challenging for titles and getting into CL qualifiers the fair weather section of the support will fall away.

Would be a lot worse if they came in promising the sun, moon and the stars in terms of infrastructure development instead of being upfront about it being long term. Now it might be so long term that they'll be gone before anything is done but that's still better than them taking out massive loans in the club's name to build a stadium to then leave and leaving the club with massive death and a white elephant of a stadium only a 1/3 full.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A young inexperienced preseason Rovers side beats LSL champions and mid-season St. Mochtas.

These really are games serious LSL sides should be winning comfortably if the gap was narrowing.

Why? What's the point of pumping money into Oriel Park or building a new stadium in the short term and the team then struggling on the pitch, the nature of LOI is if the team aren't performing on the pitch then fans will fall away leaving Dundalk with a lovely stadium and no one to fill it.

Even if the previous owners didn't sell the club I'm sure they'd still put the upgrading of Oriel Park on the long finger and prioritise keeping the senior team strong and competing because without a senior team challenging for titles and getting into CL qualifiers the fair weather section of the support will fall away.

Would be a lot worse if they came in promising the sun, moon and the stars in terms of infrastructure development instead of being upfront about it being long term. Now it might be so long term that they'll be gone before anything is done but that's still better than them taking out massive loans in the club's name to build a stadium to then leave and leaving the club with massive death and a white elephant of a stadium only a 1/3 full.

I agree, there was some lower league English team (cant think who they were) who built this huge stadium, 30,000 capacity, they could only get maybe 6,000 people in it every week, the team were not doing well and the club was losing money, eventually they had to find a new home and I think a rugby team use it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I agree, there was some lower league English team (cant think who they were) who built this huge stadium, 30,000 capacity, they could only get maybe 6,000 people in it every week, the team were not doing well and the club was losing money, eventually they had to find a new home and I think a rugby team use it now.

Coventry.

Wasps own it now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Coventry.

Wasps own it now.

It was a smaller team than coventry.

Darlington fc, not 30,000 but it was too big for them, they spent money on something they did not need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

pgj2015 wrote:
    Darlington fc, not 30,000 but it was too big for them, they spent money on something they did not need.

I'm sure they actually went bust as well. They now go by the name of Darlington 1883 I think.

It's probably more complicated than that though so maybe they didn't technically go bust.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement