Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

pgj2015 wrote: »
    It was a smaller team than coventry.

Then as mentioned above its Darlington. Wasn't aware the ground had been taken over by a Rugby team though, thats why the Ricoh arena came to mind with Wasps.

A quick wiki search shows that the Darligton Arena was bought in 2012 by Darlington Mowden Park RFC... so well remembered on that one!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Darlington also signed Tino Asprilla at the time. Needless to say it didn't last long.

Article here from 2002. The situation was utterly mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

bot43 wrote: »
    Darlington also signed Tino Asprilla at the time. Needless to say it didn't last long.

Article here from 2002. The situation was utterly mental

Oh yes I remember that, he said he would play with darlington in the 3rd division as a stepping stone to getting back to playing for Newcastle in the premier league, then did a runner before even playing one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Killian Cantwell joins Limerick.

Sure if it all goes tits up for Dundalk the fans can buy the whole club for a quid and start again debt-free and after a season change the name from Totally not Dundalk to Dundalk FC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Sure if it all goes tits up for Dundalk the fans can buy the whole club for a quid and start again debt-free and after a season change the name from Totally not Dundalk to Dundalk FC.

Numerous clubs worldwide have gone this route, sometimes its the only option for fans who wish to take control. Unfortunately, Dundalk fans seem to have no appetite to ever go down that road although I do think someone needs to start yesterday in getting some form of a trust going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

I get where you guys are coming from in regards to either the new or old owners of Dundalk and upgrading Oriel park.
    I will say though the utterly pathetic nature of the facilities of most LOI clubs is a big factor in the problems the clubs have in bringing people to the grounds and is iIMHO a factor in the ovrerall lack of quality we have with our player pool at the moment. I am not saying I know what the solution is and that lack of money overall is not a big problem. But this is another area for me where the FAI has their head firmly lodged you know where. If we want to improve the quality of our players and our game at all levels we need to be doing everything we can to improve the quality of our senior clubs stadiums and training facilities.

CHealy wrote: »
    Numerous clubs worldwide have gone this route, sometimes its the only option for fans who wish to take control. Unfortunately, Dundalk fans seem to have no appetite to ever go down that road although I do think someone needs to start yesterday in getting some form of a trust going.
    **** that, worry about if it happens. Take what we can get. Won the league without financial doping so **** the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

**** that, worry about if it happens. Take what we can get. Won the league without financial doping so **** the rest.
    And in winning the league and the european prize money you have (had?) enough money to financially dope yourselves, didn't need anyone else. Take what we can get is usually the mantra of investment/vulture funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think at this stage none of us know whether this good or bad or neither. These guys are not out to lose their money and the surest way of losing money is a Dundalk team not competing. That said maybe they will walk away in 5 years, who knows?

Dundalk are continuous members of the LOI since 1926/27 without any reincarnations, and us Dundalk fans hope this continues.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    And in winning the league and the european prize money you have (had?) enough money to financially dope yourselves, didn't need anyone else. Take what we can get is usually the mantra of investment/vulture funds.
    Nope, you're talking pure ****e mate. Dundalk earned the money, they didn't finance it with debt, then bail and start again and pretend it's the same thing.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think at this stage none of us know whether this good or bad or neither. These guys are not out to lose their money and the surest way of losing money is a Dundalk team not competing. That said maybe they will walk away in 5 years, who knows?

Dundalk are continuous members of the LOI since 1926/27 without any reincarnations, and us Dundalk fans hope this continues.

I'd much prefer we didn't do the disappearing in a cloud of smoke and reappearing with two initials standing for something else and pretending like nothing happened but it wouldn't be the end of the world. :pac:

Nope, you're talking pure ****e mate. Dundalk earned the money, they didn't finance it with debt, then bail and start again and pretend it's the same thing.
    You didn't read my post very well... I said by winning the league you have/had the money to effectively dope yourselves going forward. A **** year could be absorbed by the past prize money rather than having to cut back. I never said Dundalk didn't earn what they got, but i did imply is it still dundalks? I guess we will find out over the next few years

overshoot wrote: »
    You didn't read my post very well... I said by winning the league you have/had the money to effectively dope yourselves going forward. A **** year could be absorbed by the past prize money rather than having to cut back. I never said Dundalk didn't earn what they got, but i did imply is it still dundalks? I guess we will find out over the next few years
    No, I read it, you're using the term incorrectly. Re-investing winnings isn't cheating nor financial doping.

I said "effectively dope" Was it that hard to get what I meant? Dundalk won tonnes of money, enough to keep them at the top even with a bad season or two. Other clubs would have to cut back their cloth as money reserves isn't exactly common to loi clubs. You have a fall back.
    Dundalk didn't need an investor, so personally not a clue why they'd risk their excellent self made position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lee J Lynch stated on the Limerick FC Podcast that his next move would be announced in two or three weeks, not in the League of Ireland.
    Heard from a friend that he's going Stateside.

The previous owners of Dundalk are successful businessmen. They have stated that it was hard to devote their time between the two businesses and do both justice. They said more than once that if Dundalk FC were to progress from where they are now - then they just didn’t have the time to devote to the club and run their business successfully. ( there are many competitors to their business).

They are passionate about the club and spent months (this wasn’t an overnight takeover) going over the details before announcing the takeover.

They could have taken vast amounts of profit out of the club, hired a chief executive to run the club and still left enough to see the club one of the best financed in the league. They have said that for the club to progress to the ‘next’ stage it needed new owners. The disappointment felt by most supporters surrounds the ground. Many felt new owners = new ground. They have made it clear any ground improvements will follow continued success.

As far as I’m concerned the jury is out, but they haven’t made any wild promises, and that’s a good thing.

**** that, worry about if it happens.

All the best pal.

joeysoap wrote: »
    The previous owners of Dundalk are successful businessmen. They have stated that it was hard to devote their time between the two businesses and do both justice. They said more than once that if Dundalk FC were to progress from where they are now - then they just didn’t have the time to devote to the club and run their business successfully. ( there are many competitors to their business).

They are passionate about the club and spent months (this wasn’t an overnight takeover) going over the details before announcing the takeover.

They could have taken vast amounts of profit out of the club, hired a chief executive to run the club and still left enough to see the club one of the best financed in the league. They have said that for the club to progress to the ‘next’ stage it needed new owners. The disappointment felt by most supporters surrounds the ground. Many felt new owners = new ground. They have made it clear any ground improvements will follow continued success.

As far as I’m concerned the jury is out, but they haven’t made any wild promises, and that’s a good thing.

You seem to be the only Dundalk fan here with a level head which are always (mostly :)) rflected in your posts. Shame others go for the hammer the keyboard first and think what they are on about after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Confirmed now that Derry's first home game is away.
    Stadium upgrade behind schedule, so the Derry v Sligo game will be reversed, and be in Sligo.

Hopefully Brandywell will be ready for Dundalk on 2nd March.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I would say that the later welfare of Dundalk FC is more important to the previous owners than the welfare of a car is to its former owner.

It might be better to compare it to a pet you can no longer look after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You seem to be the only Dundalk fan here with a level head which are always (mostly :)) rflected in your posts. Shame others go for the hammer the keyboard first and think what they are on about after.

Ah that's not true in fairness. Plenty of very good Dundalk posters here. I've often been annoyed by sweeping statements about City supporters, so it's no different for anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

DvB wrote: »
    Then as mentioned above its Darlington. Wasn't aware the ground had been taken over by a Rugby team though, thats why the Ricoh arena came to mind with Wasps.

A quick wiki search shows that the Darligton Arena was bought in 2012 by Darlington Mowden Park RFC... so well remembered on that one!

MK Dons also - 30,000+ capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Confirmed now that Derry's first home game is away.
    Stadium upgrade behind schedule, so the Derry v Sligo game will be reversed, and be in Sligo.

Hopefully Brandywell will be ready for Dundalk on 2nd March.
    Leaves us with very few home games in the summer. Think it's 5 in the last 4 months of the season.

Not Derry's fault, the scheduling was a joke to begin with.

Yeah Limerick have 3 home games in total in July, August, and September, not including whatever cup games there might be.

There are just few games in general then too - those 3 home games are contrasted with 5 away games. Compare that to the 3 midweek games in the months March-May.

I know time needs to be set aide for a break and for cup games, but in some cases at least, games could be scheduled for cup weekends, especially in the later rounds. Do Limerick need to be away to Derry on Monday March 12th FFS?

The season is 3-4 weeks longer this year. Why do we still need mid weeks?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The season is 3-4 weeks longer this year. Why do we still need mid weeks?

More games

11 x 3 = 33 games

9 x 4 = 36 games

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Leaves us with very few home games in the summer. Think it's 5 in the last 4 months of the season.

Yeah harsh on yourselves.

And if the Brandywell doesn't get the sign-off for the next home game v Dundalk on 2nd March, our 1st 6 games will be away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah harsh on yourselves.

And if the Brandywell doesn't get the sign-off for the next home game v Dundalk on 2nd March, our 1st 6 games will be away.

Rumours in Dundalk, that we wont be switching any game with you if Derry is not ready as it would leave us with 3 hard away trips in April Bray, Derry, Limerick before we face Cork in Turners Cross.

Will be upto Derry to find a venue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tickets for the Dublin Derby going for mad prices on eBay and adverts last night. Never thought I'd see the day!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Tickets for the Dublin Derby going for mad prices on eBay and adverts last night. Never thought I'd see the day!

Its great to see, that kind of panic alone raises the profile of the league. The few games City sold out last year I had fellas in work asking for tickets same guys wouldnt know how to get to the Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Omackeral wrote: »

It's poxy that the Connaught street stand is condemned, could easily have got 6/7000 at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

major bill wrote: »
    It's poxy that the Connaught street stand is condemned, could easily have got 6/7000 at this.

Even the shed is tiny compared to the good old days what with the back of it being blocked off.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

DvB wrote: »
    Even the shed is tiny compared to the good old days what with the back of it being blocked off.

Id say the shed is about half the size it could be if it had been maintained, a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rumours in Dundalk, that we wont be switching any game with you if Derry is not ready as it would leave us with 3 hard away trips in April Bray, Derry, Limerick before we face Cork in Turners Cross.

Pitty we didn’t do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Pitty we didn’t do the same.

A day might come in the future where we could need a favour from Derry. It's nice not to be wankbags about things like the date of a fixture.

Dundalk will be CL/EL group stage regulars or extict by then. Either way they won't be needing any favours from Derry.

It works to our advantage anyway. Another home game early means a bigger gate than we would likely get in the summer and a better chance of getting off to a good start.

To be fair to us, its not the clubs fault at all.

We don't own the stadium, we're just tenants. The council own the stadium and are ultimately responsible for having it ready on time.

The fact that it over-ran is out of our control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Jesus wept, the place is a ****hole and their solution? Let's open another bar.

With the takeover, does this mean we wont even get the new bar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Better luck to Dundalk if it works for them even as City fan.

Look if it makes club good well that's good for them.

Personally, I think it will be either a huge success or utter failure, no middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Oat23 wrote: »
    A day might come in the future where we could need a favour from Derry. It's nice not to be wankbags about things like the date of a fixture.

Dundalk will be CL/EL group stage regulars or extict by then. Either way they won't be needing any favours from Derry.

It works to our advantage anyway. Another home game early means a bigger gate than we would likely get in the summer and a better chance of getting off to a good start.
    Means now that during the summer we have one home game in 10 weeks by doing this arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Better luck to Dundalk if it works for them even as City fan.

Look if it makes club good well that's good for them.

Personally, I think it will be either a huge success or utter failure, no middle ground.

Well said....as a Dundalk fan I can relate to all your comments. However what other clubs should not forget.....If it goes to plan then you will see other clubs being bought by similar investors more than likely with more money. The LOI offers a good investment and potentially one of Europes lowest priced takeovers....low buy in price and potentially high returns if you can break Europe.

If it works and the FAI get their fingers out it could be the making of LOI football and infrastructure. If it flops.....god knows what lies ahead for Dundalk and the LOI.

What I would love to see is a club taking a risk and setting up a live stream of all home games to fans outside Ireland. Charge a fair price and I am sure you can generate an extra income.

IMO Waterford are not a million miles from Dundalk. Swindon will never quallify for Europe and their owner is taking a punt on Waterford.
    Qualifying for Europe by itself is not the answer to everything, but it should generate enough interest (and money) to keep a club competitive.

I think this year is shaping up nicely, promises to really competitive,bad luck on Derry the Brandywell is not ready. Why don’t Derry revert to Buncrana for 2 months? Or alternatively close half the ground?

Fwiw when I was purchasing my ticket for the presidents cup match today the new owners were in Oriel. They appeared to checking the place over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

major bill wrote: »

In an ideal world our singing fans would be in the shed, the families/older crowd would be in the Jodi and the away fans on the Connaught Street side and as you said we could easily have close to that at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Big image incoming...

just a little something to help you pass the time :pac:

DVmkBwDWsAAEUqB.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

BOHtox wrote: »
    In an ideal world our singing fans would be in the shed, the families/older crowd would be in the Jodi and the away fans on the Connaught Street side and as you said we could easily have close to that at it.

I think in 2010 was the last time rovers fans were in the Connaught Street stand. I think the shed was empty that day though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could someone fix the title of this thread "rumors" is an American spelling.

Tis really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Could someone fix the title of this thread "rumors" is an American spelling.

Tis really annoying

Happy now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Confirmed that Liam Miller has lost his fight against Cancer

RIP to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Pretty ****ty attitude considering Dundalk were begging other clubs in the league for cash just a few years back. But now everything is rosy why would they help anyone else out?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement