Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The opening match at the Brandywell is likely to be against Dundalk on 2nd March.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/new-look-brandywell-not-ready-11994712

I don’t know how these things start, but I would doubt very much Derry approached Dundalk just yet about transferring the match to Oriel.

League of Ireland chief Fran Gavin outlined the reasons for the delay with the Brandywell.

“It looks really well but it won’t be ready for the first game in Sligo.” he said yesterday,

“We’re confident it will be ready for the game against Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Would rather we sent the u19's up for the game tomorrow, some of our lads will be in no mind for a game of football, alot of them would have known Miller very well, McNulty being a childhood friend isnt travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CHealy wrote: »
    Would rather we sent the u19's up for the game tomorrow, some of our lads will be in no mind for a game of football, alot of them would have known Miller very well, McNulty being a childhood friend isnt travelling.
    What happened to the "let's go and win it for Liam" kind of mentality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

It's a shame the game is so close to the start of the season that it can't be postponed. Maybe it should have been called off. Very hard asking players that were close to Miller to play today.

Pretty ****ty attitude considering Dundalk were begging other clubs in the league for cash just a few years back. But now everything is rosy why would they help anyone else out?

I'd be very surprised if this was the case. No club is in a position that they can burn any bridges with other clubs. I'm sure we'll need Derry's help in the future with something or other.

However, when did Dundalk FC beg other clubs for cash? I'm supporting the club since the 80s and don't remember this ever happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

What happened to the "let's go and win it for Liam" kind of mentality?

Have some respect for the man, it's basically a pre season friendly. No need to be so flippant.

clickhere wrote: »
    Have some respect for the man, it's basically a pre season friendly. No need to be so flippant.

I have the upmost respect for Liam Miller.
    In my day you made sure you played the next game in a deceased player's honour and gave it your best to win for him.
    Nothing else meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Some win for Cork.

A brillant tribute for Liam Miller.

• Advertisement

Game of two halves there. All Dundalk the first half, all Cork the second. Ref missed two stonewall penalties for Dundalk but a draw would have been unfair on Cork who deserved to win.

Not overly worried as both teams were missing a load of players so hard to judge what we'll both be like five or ten games into the season.

Fantastic goal from Sadlier worthy of winning any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Going by Twitter it sounded like a cracking game, pity they couldn't stream it.

What we learned today , or more what we already knew:

City super fit and made some great signings. Never say die attitude will see them in the running to win everything this year. The Town will also be in the running.

Dundalk, much changed admittedly, were very attractive going forward, not so clever at defending.

Referees are as poor as ever, today both teams puzzled by decisions , or non decisions to be more precise. I ‘only’ saw one stonewall penalty, but it was that - stonewall.

Why Dundalk ‘swopped’ Rogers for Cherrie is anybody’s guess .

And one think we did find out that most of us didn’t know before - Dundalk play brilliantly when it’s snowing :cool:

Sadlier’s goal was super and Murray will score loads for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Patww79 wrote: »

I'm surprised Eir Sport didn't show it, especially as their coverage of the LOI has been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Patww79 wrote: »

It's unacceptable in 2018. A laptop, camera and one guy to operate it is all you need for f*ck sake. The FAI have streamed underage internationals/womens games on their youtube channel before so they know how it's done.

They just don't give a f*ck about the league at all...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to come from 2 down away to Dundalk to win 4-2.
    Sounded like a bit of a cracker considering the conditions, ridiculous that it wasn't available to watch anywhere, not surprised but ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I have the upmost respect for Liam Miller.
    In my day you made sure you played the next game in a deceased player's honour and gave it your best to win for him.
    Nothing else meant.

Playing for a pub team was it? Wouldn't hold it against any player that decided not to play or travel today over the passing of Liam Miller. Today was not about the football it was one of those days where more important things took over.

Rovers signed Dan Carr.

Looked good in the pre-season games. Stokes could be signing too.

Trevor Clarke didn't feature much in pre-season which was strange as no injury was mentioned.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rovers signed Dan Carr.

Trevor Clarke didn't feature much in pre-season which was strange as no injury was mentioned.

What has Trevor Clarke left on his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers signed Dan Carr.

Clarke will miss the first 2 games through suspension anyway.

Cleary would have been a good signing but he wasnt included in the squad announcement on Saturday so can only assume he's not managed to agree a deal. I know his agent was playing hardball despite both parties being keen to do a deal so it seems the agent had the final say on the matter. Unfortunate as I think he'd have been a solid addition.

I suspect with Carr signing Stokes won't, but if there could be room made I too think he'd be a solid addition, fingers crossed something can be done.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Galway United sign Danny Furlong

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sunday Times yesterday says Stokes signing Greek side Apollon Smyrni (me neither).

joeysoap wrote: »
    Sunday Times yesterday says Stokes signing Greek side Apollon Smyrni (me neither).

I was referring to ex Leeds United player Eoin Stokes, not the nutball Hibs just sacked:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Clarke will miss the first 2 games through suspension anyway.

Cleary would have been a good signing but he wasnt included in the squad announcement on Saturday so can only assume he's not managed to agree a deal. I know his agent was playing hardball despite both parties being keen to do a deal so it seems the agent had the final say on the matter. Unfortunate as I think he'd have been a solid addition.

I suspect with Carr signing Stokes won't, but if there could be room made I too think he'd be a solid addition, fingers crossed something can be done.

I thought Clearly looked a level below Lopes & Grace in the game I saw vs Longford. Joey O'Brien signed too.

Gilchrist looks awful though.

It is a real shame Burke doesn't have pace. If he did he would be playing Championship level.

I thought Clearly looked a level below Lopes & Grace in the game I saw vs Longford.

Really?
    I'd only heard positive reports. Myabe not as good a prospect as thought so. Havent seen a minute of pre season myself so purely going on second hand information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd be inclined to stick with Grace and Lopes. Firstly for continuity from the latter end of last season and to prevent dropping 'fit in' Lopes in midfield.

Carr looks like he has pace and he was eager, but it was all a bit out of control and not linking up to his own team, understandably for a preseason start. Not much chance to look at him being clinical in front of goal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Galway United sign Danny Furlong

If he finds his wexford form of 2015... bugger. hopefully he sticks with his form since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Excellent first half yesterday from the 2014/15/16 champions. Head and shoulders above Cork in what was a very pleasing opening 45 minutes. Unfortunately Sean Hoare's injury meant that Chris Shields was forced to play centre back for the second half which resulted in the concession of a few sloppy goals. But I think most will agree it's that first half that will live long in the memory for most who were in attendance yesterday. By the way special mention for Georgie Poynton who had a stormer yesterday.

Eir Sport have announced their first 3 live games to be televised this season. All moved to an 8pm kick off.

Dundalk vs Cork March 9th

Shamrock Rovers vs Bohs April 13th

Bohs vs Cork April 20th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Great to see 4 different goalscorers for the one man team yesterday, pity the FAI couldnt set up a stream for the seasons curtain raiser and even now 24 hours on I still havnt managed to see the goals.

• Advertisement

Great to see 4 different goalscorers for the one man team yesterday, pity the FAI couldnt set up a stream for the seasons curtain raiser and even now 24 hours on I still havnt managed to see the goals.

I find it hard to believe that club GAA games U20s Rugby etc would bring in more viewership than Dundalk vs Cork.

Pighead wrote: »
    Excellent first half yesterday from the 2014/15/16 champions. Head and shoulders above Cork in what was a very pleasing opening 45 minutes. Unfortunately Sean Hoare's injury meant that Chris Shields was forced to play centre back for the second half which resulted in the concession of a few sloppy goals. But I think most will agree it's that first half that will live long in the memory for most who were in attendance yesterday. By the way special mention for Georgie Poynton who had a stormer yesterday.
    Cork were miles ahead of Dundalk and passed them off the park in the second half yesterday. Cherry only had one save to make. I think the first half flattered us as when Cork got going they brushed us aside. I would ave great fears for us this season but hopefully i'm wrong.

Pighead is right, it was a terrific first 45 mins, when Hoare went off we seemed to be short at the back.

I think we were comfortable until he went off. Hopefully SK was resting Gartland and Gannon and experimenting (to a degree) at the back. We impresseed with Adjordan till he went off.

The plastic pitch was excellent in the snow and when it melted. :pac:

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Playing for a pub team was it? Wouldn't hold it against any player that decided not to play or travel today over the passing of Liam Miller. Today was not about the football it was one of those days where more important things took over.

Cop on would ya.
    Man Utd played five days after the disaster in Munich .... and won.
    Go on and stop looking to be offended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pighead wrote: »

Excellent second half yesterday from the 16/17/18 president cup winners and current league and cup champions. Head and shoulders above Dundalk in what was a very pleasing closing 45 minutes. Once we got out of first gear, we scored 4 cracking goals as against the 2 sloppy ones we conceded in the first half - first goals scored by Dundalk in the last 3 president cup finals btw. But I think most will agree its that second half that will live long in the memory for those who were in attendance yesterday. By the way special mention to the fact that we had 4 different goalscorers yesterday.

:)

Still think it's a joke that people couldn't watch the game on line yesterday.
    Nice preseason friendly though, pitch stood up well to the weather ;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Excellent second half yesterday from the 16/17/18 president cup winners and current league and cup champions.

Still think it's a joke that people couldn't watch the game on line yesterday.
    Nice preseason friendly though, pitch stood up well to the weather ;)

On these points we’ll agree. We were head and shoulders above you up in the first half though. :).

As for sloppy goals.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

doncarlos wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that club GAA games U20s Rugby etc would bring in more viewership than Dundalk vs Cork.
    Why?

Along with the Bohs and Rovers game this weekend RTE have announced two more live games. Both 7.30pm kick offs.

March 2nd - Cork City v Bohemians, 7.30pm
    March 23rd - Waterford v Shamrock Rovers

joeysoap wrote: »
    Pighead is right, it was a terrific first 45 mins, when Hoare went off we seemed to be short at the back.

I think we were comfortable until he went off. Hopefully SK was resting Gartland and Gannon and experimenting (to a degree) at the back. We impresseed with Adjordan till he went off.

The plastic pitch was excellent in the snow and when it melted. :pac:

Should have been three up at half time and it wouldn't have flattered us. However we were all over the shop in the second half. Makeshift defense, unfit midfield and the subs that Cork made completely changed the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

In the opening week of the 6 nations the U20s had ratings of 169,000 and the women's game had 73,000.

107,000 watched the FAI Cup Final in November. I doubt you'd get the same audience for a glorified pre season friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jesus that's grim when you put it into context.

Cop on would ya.
    Man Utd played five days after the disaster in Munich .... and won.
    Go on and stop looking to be offended.

This isn't 1958 but if you feel so strongly about the past maybe you should hop in a time machine for yourself.

3rd & 4th goal are in the wrong order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

First half and second half look they were played on different days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The first 20 minutes of Ireland v Denmark was what I remember too.

Reality though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

howiya wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that club GAA games  U20s Rugby etc would bring in more viewership than Dundalk vs Cork.

In the opening week of the 6 nations the U20s had ratings of 169,000 and the women's game had 73,000.

107,000 watched the FAI Cup Final in November. I doubt you'd get the same audience for a glorified pre season friendly.
    Generally the FAI Cup Final always clashes with a big PL game. To maximise viewers they should change the kick-off time. I know it's not ideal but if we want the LOI to grow then we're never going to compete if the game is on at the same time as a PL game.

Dundalk were woeful in that 2nd half judging by highlights.

Great finish from Cummins & some strike from Sadlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Generally the FAI Cup Final always clashes with a big PL game. To maximise viewers they should change the kick-off time. I know it's not ideal but if we want the LOI to grow then we're never going to compete if the game is on at the same time as a PL game.

The same problem would have arose if they showed the presidents cup at the weekend. Except it would have been going up against more sport than a PL game. Six nations rugby on TV3. Women’s rugby on RTE and GAA on TG4.

Yet some people still think it’d do well in the ratings

howiya wrote: »
    The same problem would have arose if they showed the presidents cup at the weekend. Except it would have been going up against more sport than a PL game. Six nations rugby on TV3. Women’s rugby on RTE and GAA on TG4.

Yet some people still think it’d do well in the ratings

How much would people be willing to pay for a streaming service for games like this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement