Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Impressive play from Waterford in difficult, soggy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A moving tribute there to Liam Miller to close out the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Going to Turners cross Friday night from Tralee. Looking to go into the Waterford section though just for the laugh. Ticketmaster isn’t specifically stating if your in the home or away end (I don’t think) how do I check this for certain?

Thanks!

Can only buy tickets for the Waterford end from here: https://www1.ticketmaster.ie/event/18005431B17C4260?did=away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

As a Waterford fan I'm really looking forward to the game Friday. Will we win? Probably not, could we be beaten handy? Probably. But it's only our second game back in the premier and we are facing the double winners of last year. We won't blitz the league, more than likely we won't even contend for Europe but one thing is certain we will enjoy ourselves. Once we aren't relegated this year and can build on it next year I'll be fine with that. But I reckon we will cause some surprises this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great to see Paul Cook is starting to get the recognition he deserves. Some result tonight beating Man City in the FA cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

As a Waterford fan I'm really looking forward to the game Friday. Will we win? Probably not, could we be beaten handy? Probably. But it's only our second game back in the premier and we are facing the double winners of last year. We won't blitz the league, more than likely we won't even contend for Europe but one thing is certain we will enjoy ourselves. Once we aren't relegated this year and can build on it next year I'll be fine with that. But I reckon we will cause some surprises this season.

You can't even suggest Waterford might do well in that game on here against the great Cork side.

Just get some sarcastic reply.

MD1990 wrote: »
    You can't even suggest Waterford might do well in that game on here against the great Cork side.

You can actually. Bit unfair to be blanketing cos of one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Who said Waterford won’t do well? I just laughed at your ridiculous comment on Aaron Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Taken from Twitter,

Average age of starters by team from opening night:

Cork 28.2
    Limerick 27.8
    Pats 27.2
    Waterford 26.1
    Bohs 26
    Dundalk FC 26
    Sligo 24.7
    Bray 24.4
    Derry 24.3
    Shamrock Rovers 24.2

League average 25.9

Second highest average age with possibly the youngest bench with an average age of 21.7 which will drop now seeing as Freddy Hall (32)has left the club and will more than likely replaced by Tommy Holland (19) which will bring the average age to 19.8

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who said Waterford won’t do well? I just laughed at your ridiculous comment on Aaron Barry

Ask Derry fans how he done last year

He was awful it's not ridiculous at all.

You still have not answered what he does well as a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I watched the Bohs Rovers game on RTE, I used to go to Dalymount back in 1995 as a school boy !

I loved the players running over to the chippie van to celebrate :D:D !! Brilliant!

That win entice you to come back? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ask Derry fans how he done last year

He was awful it's not ridiculous at all.

You still have not answered what he does well as a defender.

Wasn't too bothered about Aaron leaving the Brandywell.

I personally won't make any judgment on Barry until a good few matches in, he may be good, he may not be. Form for another team only matters a small amount to be honest. We've had players who were hyped before they came to us who turned out donkeys, and some who had no expectation who turned out to be very good players for the club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Corholio wrote: »
    I personally won't make any judgment on Barry until a good few matches in, he may be good, he may not be. Form for another team only matters a small amount to be honest. We've had players who were hyped before they came to us who turned out donkeys, and some who had no expectation who turned out to be very good players for the club.

That's exactly it. There are many examples of it both here and abroad e.g.

Salah at Chelsea, meh.
    Salah at Roma, not too bad.
    Salah at Liverpool, an Egyptian God !!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That's exactly it. There are many examples of it both here and abroad e.g.

Salah at Chelsea, meh.
    Salah at Roma, not too bad.
    Salah at Liverpool, an Egyptian God !!
    :confused:
    Now this is a truly ridiculous comment from you.

Comparing Aaron Barry who made over 100 appearances for Derry to Salah who was not given a chance at Chelsea under Mourinho.

Very strange how my comment about Barry being awful particularly last season (many Derry fans would agree) was ridiculous & not answering my question about what Barry's qualities are either but you then compare Barry to Salah.

Very very odd comparision.

Seems clear to me you have not seen much of Barry at all apart from games vs Cork.

Seems clear to me you have not seen much of Barry at all apart from games vs Cork.

To be fair, this would be the same for an awful lot of fans who comment on whether players are **** or not etc. Some of the comments about City players in the past on here, I can only imagine they only saw them when they played their own team too, as bizarre as they were. Same goes for City fans, I wouldn't have an overall view of quite a few players, only what they were like against City, home or away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Im not at all confident about Barry from what Iv seen in pre season and the game on Friday night. Derry fans said he wasnt great but I just put that down to trying to blow off losing another player, but looks like they are being proven right as it stands. Even when it was 11 v 11 the other night Pats cut right through us a couple of times, if they could finish it would have been 1 all before we went 2 up. Caulfield has alot to do with our defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

The only Waterford player who worries me in any way is Hery. He is a touch of class and I wish CCFC moved for him in the off season.

bot43 wrote: »
    The only Waterford player who worries me in any way is Hery. He is a touch of class and I wish CCFC moved for him in the off season.

A player like that would never sign for us to sit on the bench, same as Bolger going to Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Oat23 wrote: »
    Great to see Paul Cook is starting to get the recognition he deserves. Some result tonight beating Man City in the FA cup.

I think he has been very shrewd over in England, moving clubs he has pretty much always gone sideways in terms of league position but always to clubs with much bigger potential.
    Sligo: 2007 mid table, 2008 4th in league, 2009 FAI cup final, 2010-3rd in league EA & FAI Cups, 2011-League-2nd, FAI Cup
    Accrington: 2012 (end of season) Kept in league 2, 2012 (start to mid)-got them to upper mid table of league 2
    Chesterfield: 2012/13-picked them up in mid table just missed playoffs, 2013/14-won league 2, 2014/15-playoffs league 1
    Portsmouth: 2015/16 playoffs; 2016/17-won league 2
    Wigan: 2017/18-1st in League 1 most of the season, currently 3rd but games in hand to reclaim top spot & have a gap. Beaten 3 Premier League teams in the 3/4/5th rounds of the FA cup.

CV is definitely looking more impressive with each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really looking foward to the game Friday night. Hopefully City put in a good performance. Man for man apparently Waterford are as good if not better and stopping them from scoring 3 or 4 will be an achievdment in itself as we won't be able to handle their foward line. I really hope the upcoming battering wont dent City's confidence too much. It's a pity Waterford were only allowed 350 as apparently Ticketmaster nearly crashed such was the influx when the tickets went on sale. Not sure I'll even go now, not sure there's much point really.......:(

Or

The double champions, backed by a vociferous full house, might give their Munster neighbours a bit of a football lesson and drive them back through the tunnel with their tails between their legs. Cant wait for Friday

Come on City.......Come on City......:pac:

Great to have the league up and running again!! :D
    You reckon a boring 0-0 draw then?

Dundalk expected to sign another unknown player called Marco Tagbajumi.
    Who knows what he will be like.

I would be slightly worried with what is happening at Dundalk.

Stephen Kenny often spoke passionately about improving facilities which is key & that is not in the new owners plans.
    Now signing a 3rd player that Kenny most likely would have never seen play.

It is going against the policy in which made Dundalk successful. Signing talented young players or the best players in the LOI.
    Personally would have looked at signing McEneff,Hery & Greene.

Marco Tagbajumi played 13 league games for Strømsgodset scoring 3 goals before being loaned out to Lillestrøm in the summer who finished 12th and scored none for them in the league but did score twice in the cup.

Gotta wonder is this a Kenny signing or are Peak6 going to be calling the shots regarding transfers.

Gotta wonder is this a Kenny signing or are Peak6 going to be calling the shots regarding transfers.

No way are these Kenny signings. If they work out all well and good, but I honestly cant see him putting up with this kind of structure for too long, goes against everything he's built for the last 5 years.

CHealy wrote: »
    No way are these Kenny signings. If they work out all well and good, but I honestly cant see him putting up with this kind of structure for too long, goes against everything he's built for the last 5 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in someone like a director of football before the summer window to look after the transfer side of things

Cork sign Preston youngster Michael Howard on loan until the summer.

Cork sign Preston youngster Michael Howard on loan until the summer.

Preston u18, hasnt managed to break into first team, can see him getting gobbled up by some LOI defenders. Cummins (suspended) and O'Hanlon (injured) being out shows just how stuck we are for strikers for Friday night, if Cummins gets injured during the season we are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Rovers have signed Sean Kavanagh after he left Fulham. He can play either full back position as well as center midfield, had been training with Derry. Shields isn't very happy about it all,
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/derry-city-boss-kenny-shiels-12055476

Preston u18, hasnt managed to break into first team, can see him getting gobbled up by some LOI defenders. Cummins (suspended) and O'Hanlon (injured) being out shows just how stuck we are for strikers for Friday night, if Cummins gets injured during the season we are screwed.

Yeah just looked him up there, still only 18 and won't be 19 until October. Surprised with that transfer and that someone from the underage wasn't brought up instead, didn't the 19s reach the final last year and the 17s won theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Now this is a truly ridiculous comment from you.

Comparing Aaron Barry who made over 100 appearances for Derry to Salah who was not given a chance at Chelsea under Mourinho.

Very strange how my comment about Barry being awful particularly last season (many Derry fans would agree) was ridiculous & not answering my question about what Barry's qualities are either but you then compare Barry to Salah.

Very very odd comparision.

Hardly truly ridiculous.....although I expect this thread will throw some more ridiculous comments/ curve balls throughout the season. Clearly players can perform better given a move to a different club, for a number different of reasons, confidence, manager, teammates, tactics etc. Lovren was a commanding centre back, came to pool and has become such a liability, it does work both ways.
    I am a of course hoping he will be a good signing and the fact that Caulfield believes it too and he's been good when I've seen him. Time will tell, but I'll not label him awful just yet, hope that doesn't push your nose out of joint too much:)

You reckon a boring 0-0 draw then?

Possibly but I very much doubt it, there's a reason why you can get 18/1 for 0-0

Great to be stirring up so much interest on the match though and it's only Tuesday.
    I hope it doesn't disappoint, tickets selling fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk expected to sign another unknown player called Marco Tagbajumi.
    Who knows what he will be like.

I would be slightly worried with what is happening at Dundalk.

Stephen Kenny often spoke passionately about improving facilities which is key & that is not in the new owners plans.
    Now signing a 3rd player that Kenny most likely would have never seen play.

It is going against the policy in which made Dundalk successful. Signing talented young players or the best players in the LOI.
    Personally would have looked at signing McEneff,Hery & Greene.

Hery is exactly what Dundalk are missing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The Peak6 deal took ages to complete, so I wouldn’t be too worried about this years loans or signings

Kenny clearly wants a better stadium but at the same time acknowledges that you lose atmosphere in a larger stadium.

https://talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-boss-kenny-brands-oriel-park-not-good-enough-inadequate/amp/

We know Rovers offered Finn a contract he couldn’t refuse last year (€2k a week for 156 weeks + a new car) looks like they threw the kitchen sink at Gannon and Gartland this year. Interestingly Kenny says the players are more or less being paid what they always being paid.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/sport/298171/not-dundalk-football-club-as-i-know-it-stephen-kenny.html

joeysoap wrote: »
    The Peak6 deal took ages to complete, so I wouldn’t be too worried about this years loans or signings

Kenny clearly wants a better stadium but at the same time acknowledges that you lose atmosphere in a larger stadium.

https://talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-boss-kenny-brands-oriel-park-not-good-enough-inadequate/amp/

We know Rovers offered Finn a contract he couldn’t refuse last year (€2k a week for 156 weeks + a new car) looks like they threw the kitchen sink at Gannon and Gartland this year. Interestingly Kenny says the players are more or less being paid what they always being paid.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/sport/298171/not-dundalk-football-club-as-i-know-it-stephen-kenny.html

Ah yes because this isn't just something our lord and saviour Stephen Kenny would say in the build up to a big match to try put Rovers off, oh no, i feel dirty even suggesting something so cynical of the great man himself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Ah yes because this isn't just something our lord and saviour Stephen Kenny would say in the build up to a big match to try put Rovers off, oh no, i feel dirty even suggesting something so cynical of the great man himself. :rolleyes:

You really think saying that Rovers tried their best to sign Gannon would put them off? The interviewer obviously asked about Gannon and Kenny responded. If that's the kind of thing that impacts on a team performance, surely Rovers would be relegation candidates

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

doncarlos wrote: »
    If that's the kind of thing that impacts on a team performance, surely Rovers would be relegation candidates

Well, they are bottom of the table :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'm sure Karl Sheppard would be of the same opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers have signed Sean Kavanagh after he left Fulham. He can play either full back position as well as center midfield, had been training with Derry. Shields isn't very happy about it all,
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/derry-city-boss-kenny-shiels-12055476

Has Shiels ever been happy...

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'm sure Karl Sheppard would be of the same opinion.

Bottom line there is KS signed a pre contract agreement, He’s over 18, nobody forced him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bottom line there is KS signed a pre contract agreement, He’s over 18, nobody forced him to.

Bottom line is he told Kenny to **** off when it became clear he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Bottom line is he told Kenny to **** off when it became clear he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Or Cork made him a double your money offer the week of the cup final to try and get one over Dundalk and the lad bit their hands off cause thats all he wanted.....Money....

Bottom line is Cork were caught cold, **** themselves when Kenny came out with the news and suddenly doubled KS money to keep him and promised to carry his legal fees should DFC go against him on the matter of the pre contract.

Or Cork made him a double your money offer the week of the cup final to try and get one over Dundalk and the lad bit their hands off cause thats all he wanted.....Money....

Bottom line is Cork were caught cold, **** themselves when Kenny came out with the news and suddenly doubled KS money to keep him and promised to carry his legal fees should DFC go against him on the matter of the pre contract.

Every bit of this post is false. You are forgetting the fans own Cork City and we are well aware of the finances of the club. Im actually impressed at how one post can be so wrong, well done.

Every bit of this post is false. You are forgetting the fans own Cork City and we are well aware of the finances of the club. Im actually impressed at how one post can be so wrong, well done.

Once you believe what you are saying thats the most important thing, my post is pulled out of the air to make a point. No co-op, listed company or otherwise tells its shareholders everything nor do they make such details public if avoidable. The management in Cork know what they have to tell the shareholders and very seldom do they tell them more than needed and individual salary details are not needed.

Doesnt matter if its Cork, Derry, Rovers, Dundalk, Liverpool, ManU or the FAI....as fans we only know what they want us to know/spin for us and not an inch more. If they came out and made their business fully public to shareholders or press it would make them vunerable doing business further down the line.

Why are Cork and Dundalk (under old ownership) successful...because they are operated as a business. Tell me one business that makes all intern public....no company will ever make salaries or better said individual contract/salary negotiations public cause it would result in the next lad walking in demanding more.......

Once you believe what you are saying thats the most important thing, my post is pulled out of the air to make a point. No co-op, listed company or otherwise tells its shareholders everything nor do they make such details public if avoidable. The management in Cork know what they have to tell the shareholders and very seldom do they tell them more than needed and individual salary details are not needed.

Doesnt matter if its Cork, Derry, Rovers, Dundalk, Liverpool, ManU or the FAI....as fans we only know what they want us to know/spin for us and not an inch more. If they came out and made their business fully public to shareholders or press it would make them vunerable doing business further down the line.

Why are Cork and Dundalk (under old ownership) successful...because they are operated as a business. Tell me one business that makes all intern public....no company will ever make salaries or better said individual contract/salary negotiations public cause it would result in the next lad walking in demanding more.......

The management in Cork are fans elected by fans. Our AGM's are incredibly transparent in part due to our history of being done for. Every single penny is accounted for and laid out before us and while every player who was just a major part of a Double winning team will look for a raise, Sheppard playing Cork for more money is laughable especially when he has publicly stated why he was going to Dundalk. But sure keep spinning whatever way you want to.

doncarlos wrote: »
    You really think saying that Rovers tried their best to sign Gannon would put them off? The interviewer obviously asked about Gannon and Kenny responded. If that's the kind of thing that impacts on a team performance, surely Rovers would be relegation candidates

Its out there as a "hey Rovers centre and right backs, your gaffer tried to replace you but couldn't". He said it mid sentence, after a question about pay so it's hardly a case of the interviewer asking if people tried to sign the two players, the question was probably more, have the players seen a pay increase since the new investors and Europe, then he threw in the comment about rovers as a sly dig

The management in Cork are fans elected by fans. Our AGM's are incredibly transparent in part due to our history of being done for. Every single penny is accounted for and laid out before us and while every player who was just a major part of a Double winning team will look for a raise, Sheppard playing Cork for more money is laughable especially when he has publicly stated why he was going to Dundalk. But sure keep spinning whatever way you want to.

If you are in the know...please present a list of first team salaries, bonuses etc. and the minutes taken during contract negotiations. You can tell me all you want but you will never see these figures unless you are working on a daily basis at a very high level within the club or you are the club solicitor.
    What you see at AGMs are budget figures which can be decorated and explained however you wish as a director....ex. salaries playing staff 2016 1.5 million. If Cork are breaking that figure down...respect. However I am suprised it hasnt leaked to the press by now.

If you are in the know...please present a list of first team salaries, bonuses etc. and the minutes taken during contract negotiations. You can tell me all you want but you will never see these figures unless you are working on a daily basis at a very high level within the club or you are the club solicitor.
    What you see at AGMs are budget figures which can be decorated and explained however you wish as a director....ex. salaries playing staff 2016 1.5 million. If Cork are breaking that figure down...respect. However I am suprised it hasnt leaked to the press by now.

One second there bud I'll post up a list of salaries there. And one doesnt need to see a breakdown to know that a players wages werent doubled, Im saying to you right now that Sheppards wages werent doubled, in fact Id even go to say I can guarantee he'd be on more if he did go to Dundalk.

I’m laughing at how this has escalated in just a few posts

There’s no doubt Kenny was ‘burned’ last year by Finn leaving last year, relatively late and somewhat by surprise. I’m not surprised that when Rovers came calling on Gannon and Gartland that he announced that Rovers were ‘generous’ in their offers but he managed to re sign them both. Bit of oneupmanship certainly, but that’s part and parcel of football. (Sanchez, on a grander scale)

I have no problem with KS for bettering himself, but the manner in which he did so might have better handled. By everybody. As for Kenny, he didn’t leak the news, someone clearly did, and when asked about it he didn’t deny it ( as some might have). KS was clearly offered a better deal in the meantime which he chose to accept. Fair enough. But he can expect a fairly heavy financial penalty.

City are clearly a well run club, and while the previous owners owners of Dundalk ran a tight ship we can only hope the new owners are good as promised.

One second there bud I'll post up a list of salaries there. And one doesnt need to see a breakdown to know that a players wages werent doubled, Im saying to you right now that Sheppards wages werent doubled, in fact Id even go to say I can guarantee he'd be on more if he did go to Dundalk.

Again I will call you on it and leave it as it is...fans and so called fan owner groups, co-ops or whatever you want to call them only see a budget figure for salaries and not the individual breakdown of each players salary/bonuses during AGMs or other meetings, I doubt your MD will even know the exact details without the contract infront of him. If you are a member of the co-op management representing the fans at board level you may see more....however not as a normal co-op member.

As for claiming KS would have been on more in Dundalk.....only people who knows that are KS and his people because you or I dont know what he is on in Cork or what Dundalk offered him. An to be honest...if the lad came out tomorrow and said he was offered €2 or €200,000 by Dundalk I wouldnt believe him....doenst come accross as the honest type.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement