Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Fenlon sacked by Rovers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really though Fenlon would deliver a title or two at Rovers

Obviously happy he didn't :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's it for Pat now I think. His style of football is archaic and while sometime it can deliver results, there are too many good footballers in the league now to resort to that and hope it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That's it for Pat now I think. His style of football is archaic and while sometime it can deliver results, there are too many good footballers in the league now to resort to that and hope it works.

Don't let the greatest football fans in the world saying that the league has many good players. The line to use is the leagues standard is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I don't know enough about Fenlon or Shamrock Rovers to really comment but Rovers were this big club and they really seem to underwhelm. They're off the pace of Cork and Dundalk so I see this as a solid move for them, depending on who they bring in of course. Might give them the freedom to go out and pull back their Euro game now? Unlikely, but can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There is something really wrong at Rovers. Kenny, Croly, and Fenlon have all gone there with their reputations sky high and not once since O'Neill left have Rovers looked at all like winning the league.

When times were at their best I think Paddy Power were going as short as 7/1 on Rovers winning 5 or 6 in a row. Given how high player turnover is in the LOI, it is hard to pinpoint just what has led to the club seeming to be such a poisonous environment, but something seems to be seriously wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

What happened there is pretty straight forward.
    5 years ago they were handed a E1Million+ head start on every other club in the league.
    They blew it.
    This year they required a bail out from a rich fan/benefactor which was touted an "Academy Loan" despite the fact E500k was used to service first team debt.
    The conditions of this loan means they will inevitably move from a fan owned model to private ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

5 years ago they were handed a E1Million+ head start on every other club in the league.
    They blew it.
    This year they required a bail out from a rich fan/benefactor which was touted an "Academy Loan" despite the fact E500k was used to service first team debt.
    The conditions of this loan means they will inevitably move from a fan owned model to private ownership.
    It doesn't sound that straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

On the RTE website you can post comments on match reports. Lots of negative reports from rovers fans on there last week after the Europa match. Some asking where the money went. SK was fired , Crolly was fired. Lot of money gone up in smoke there. And now Nutsy is fired. Slow learners.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They blew it.

Not again. I know cynicism/scepticism is the preferred position of LOI fans on investment, but the information is out there.

Can you list which conditions specifically you're thinking of...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CSF wrote: »
    There is something really wrong at Rovers. Kenny, Croly, and Fenlon have all gone there with their reputations sky high and not once since O'Neill left have Rovers looked at all like winning the league.

When times were at their best I think Paddy Power were going as short as 7/1 on Rovers winning 5 or 6 in a row. Given how high player turnover is in the LOI, it is hard to pinpoint just what has led to the club seeming to be such a poisonous environment, but something seems to be seriously wrong there.

Michael O'Neill has proven himself to be an outstanding manger, someone who will undoubtedly manage an EPL club after he finishes his stint as NI manager.

It should not take someone of that calibre to manage a LOI club.

Why is it so difficult to manage Shamrock Rovers?

dfx- wrote: »
    Not again. I know cynicism/scepticism is the preferred position of LOI fans on investment, but the information is out there.

Can you list which conditions specifically you're thinking of...

Where's the cynicism or scepticism in any of my post?

Pay back E1.5million inside 10 years or one man owns 50% of the club (controlling interest) . Fact.
    1/3 of the "Academy loan" went to clear first team debt. Fact.

http://www.echo.ie/sport/article/rovers-set-to-be-restructured-to-facilitate-loan-investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Ruairi Keating back to Harps doing the rounds. Would be delighted with that myself.

Where's the cynicism or scepticism in any of my post?

Pay back E1.5million inside 10 years or one man owns 50% of the club (controlling interest) . Fact.
    1/3 of the "Academy loan" went to clear first team debt. Fact.

Not fact and the one man is someone who already has had 50% control in 2005 and has been a shareholder in Rovers since 2005. Any debt cannot be passed to a third party.

There's a possible 1.5m available interest free in increments over ten years. May never reach 1.5m, may never reach 50%, may never reach ten years. €1m of that is for the academy, the other 500k in increments goes on the running of the club. A lot more would be needed to start from scratch, but getting into Roadstone rent-free makes a huge difference.

As I have said before the conditions I voted on are in favour of Rovers, so which one specifically is problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Michael O'Neill has proven himself to be an outstanding manger, someone who will undoubtedly manage an EPL club after he finishes his stint as NI manager.

Undoubtedly? Come on now...

Not fact and the one man is someone who already has had 50% control in 2005 and has been a shareholder in Rovers since 2005. Any debt cannot be passed to a third party.

There's a possible 1.5m available interest free in increments over ten years. May never reach 1.5m, may never reach 50%, may never reach ten years. €1m of that is for the academy, the other 500k in increments goes on the running of the club. A lot more would be needed to start from scratch, but getting into Roadstone rent-free makes a huge difference.

As I have said before the conditions I voted on are in favour of Rovers, so which one specifically is problematic.

You've contradicted yourself there. You say the money may not be used but in the same breath you give a break down of what the money will be used for.
    Can you not call a spade a spade and just say E1.5m will be used?

My issue is with the rate Shamrock are blowing through millions of Euro.
    They had accrued debt of in the region of 300-400k and this arrangement will service this debt.
    The fact that only 5 years ago they were the richest club in the league by some distance with over E1 million sitting in the bank and managed to be in debt 5years later would set alarm bells ringing for me.

The history of "owners" and that's what Wilson will be, whether he's a nice chap or a lifelong fan is besides the point, has generally ended poorly for LOI clubs. I didn't think I'd need to explain that to a Shamrock fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You've contradicted yourself there. You say the money may not be used but in the same breath you give a break down of what the money will be used for.
    Can you not call a spade a spade and just say E1.5m will be used?

To be fair dfx clearly says it may never reach 10 years or 1.5m, so I don't see the contradiction to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The history of "owners" and that's what Wilson will be, whether he's a nice chap or a lifelong fan is besides the point, has generally ended poorly for LOI clubs.

The history of fan run clubs and co-ops is just as, eh, patchy. There's no "right" ownership model for LOI football.

Corholio wrote: »
    To be fair dfx clearly says it may never reach 10 years or 1.5m, so I don't see the contradiction to be honest.

The way it's phrased is legal spiel.
    I'll eat my hat if it's not used, particularly the part that's been allocated to service debt.
    Dodge wrote: »
    The history of fan run clubs and co-ops is just as, eh, patchy. There's no "right" ownership model for LOI football.

Of course there's no hard and fast track but the examples of Galway, Shamrock, Cork et.al all rising from the ashes as fan owned/Co-ops would suggest that's a good model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jesus you'd want to be rolling in money to even consider handing over 500k to a loi club not matter how long you supported the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Jesus you'd want to be rolling in money to even consider handing over 500k to a loi club not matter how long you supported the club.

So very true. With the history of LOI clubs financial mismanagement and or bad luck handing over that kind of money is really an exercise in faith to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ruairi Keating back to Harps doing the rounds. Would be delighted with that myself.

Glad to have him not hogging some of our wage budget, hes been mostly poor, a couple of flashes of good play here and there but not enough to be in our starting eleven. Hes a poor finisher, not a striker, not a winger, not strong, doesnt have much work ethic. No loss for us, might give ye something different but cant imagine Ollie enjoying his lack work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

tbh we have had keating the first half of the last 2 seasons and work ethic was never something he lacked for. He travelled a fair distance to play with us and got 5/6 goals in both stints. Didnt fancy him developing into a 20 goal a year striker, but would have still thought him good enough for a dozen.
    hopefully its just a case of never settled and not decrease in attitude. Either way Ollie is some motivator, Derry let Curran go with similiar reviews and has given us a good return on sparse service. If he can a few goals out of Keating we can enjoy the mid table scrap and stop looking over the shoulder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We have better young players sitting on our bench right now. Surprised Harps aren't looking to grab one or two on loan again, its worked well for them in recent years.

Equally surprised, given we're so poor up front, that Armstrong and Place aren't being given any kind of opportunity. But then it took a few injuries for Gary Boylan to get any sort of run in the team too.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We have better young players sitting on our bench right now. Surprised Harps aren't looking to grab one or two on loan again, its worked well for them in recent years.

Equally surprised, given we're so poor up front, that Armstrong and Place aren't being given any kind of opportunity. But then it took a few injuries for Gary Boylan to get any sort of run in the team too.

infairness outside of Keating and going back an extra few years Devanney none have made much of an impact. Regan Donelan only managed a few sub appearances and didnt look up to much when he got on. was shocked he went back to ye and started!
    plus your only ahead on goal difference now, the gap in the teams isnt what it was ;)

Armstrong and Place are both better than Keating right now. We've just signed Daniel Kearns so I guess Armstrong at least is not in our managers plans. Pity, I think he's a very talented player with a massive future.

Donelan was a surprise to us all but we've not had a half decent left back since Davoren in 2011 so we're glad he's looking decent.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sligo have signed Daniel Kearns from Glenavon.

Very good player.

Signed til the end of next year. Makings of a decent squad coming together for next year already.

Cautiously optimistic about the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

awec wrote: »
    Sligo have signed Daniel Kearns from Glenavon.

Very good player.

This the Lad that used to play for Dundalk ?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

uch wrote: »
    This the Lad that used to play for Dundalk ?
    Yes. He was class for us back when we were on the shitheap five or six years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pighead wrote: »
    Yes. He was class for us back when we were on the shitheap five or six years ago.

How is Foster regarded in Dundalk anyway? I thought he did a decentish job if his teams didnt tend to last the entire season. Better than the man who came after him. (Cant remember his name exactly McCafferty or something?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mickey Adams being touted as a possible replacement for Fenlon.

Kearns could be decent signing, probably expecting too much for him to be the same player he was for Dundalk though. Absolutely delighted with Rowling and especially the length of contract - the lad is genuine talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some nerve shown by Dundalk, another last minute winner tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How does that chant go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

kksaints wrote: »
    How is Foster regarded in Dundalk anyway? I thought he did a decentish job if his teams didnt tend to last the entire season. Better than the man who came after him. (Cant remember his name exactly McCafferty or something?)

Foster well regarded but the first team was paper thin, once injuries etc kicked in the bench was very young. Kearns was super for us.

McCaffrey took a pile of young players to Oriel, ( but he let others go that he shouldn't have, on the 'grounds' that they were 'no good' at 17. ie Simon Madden and Keith Ward) and to be fair he got a few good ones, John Mountney, Chris Shields, Michael Rafter, Gary Shanaghan, Stephen McDonnell, Mark Griffin, but also a few right plonkers.we got out of jail that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure if it was covered but what do you make of Wilson bringing on some of his "Pepper" associates onto the Rovers board? Pepper employees now account for 50% of the board if I'm not mistaken. Where they elected on or part of the 500k payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kearns could be decent signing, probably expecting too much for him to be the same player he was for Dundalk though. Absolutely delighted with Rowling and especially the length of contract - the lad is genuine talent.

Stephen Bradly in temp charge anyway.

Seen on facebook that the sun are saying David Jeffreys is in contention for the permanent job. That would be hilarious.

Jeffrey only just signed with Ballymena at the end of last season, that move isn't happening.

Rovers job is full time too isn't it? Jeffrey wouldn't even go full time at Linfield, didn't want to give up the day job.

• Advertisement

At Glenavon he was very good for the first few games, but then always seemed to be injured or just not quite right.

keating to harps confirmed... now to put it up to his former team in his first game!

Not sure if it was covered but what do you make of Wilson bringing on some of his "Pepper" associates onto the Rovers board? Pepper employees now account for 50% of the board if I'm not mistaken. Where they elected on or part of the 500k payment?

Who are they? The head of Hyundai Ireland and ex-chief of Setanta were two of his chosen nominees to the board afaik. The board is 5:4 in favour of the members' nominees who hold a veto on anything proposed as they always have since 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Who are they? The head of Hyundai Ireland and ex-chief of Setanta were two of his chosen nominees to the board afaik. The board is 5:4 in favour of the members' nominees who hold a veto on anything proposed as they always have since 2005.

This. Nor is the CEO.

Plus I don't think it's been pointed out that on top of the other provisions, RW shares will also gradually dilute again (as they have done since 2005) as the members club continues to invest (a sizable amount of) money into the club.

I think people are overestimating the extent that a wealthy businessman would view a League Of Ireland club (with no physical assets like a ground/training ground) as something they're desperate to get their hands on. There's easier ways to make money.

Plus, let's be honest , if a similar deal was extended to a tinpot, endangered outfit like Shels or indeed most LOI clubs, they'd bite his fcuking hand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Friday September 16th - There's a full LOI fixture list.

Liverpool v Chelsea has also been confirmed as being live on Sky that night...

I'd like to be optimistic and say it won't affect the attendances but it's another nail in the coffin imo..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think some teams might change there game to a Saturday that week.

Its been a terrible season for attendances. Even Dundalk with all the success are down nearly 1000 for there home attendances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk's lowest crowd of the season against Longford the other night with just over 1900 paying through the gates. I know it was a Tuesday evening and Longford aren't exactly box office but it's still disappointing that we can't get more people in to watch the champions.

Especially given the excitement on offer in recent games. I thought the Wexford Youths game was a cracker a few weeks ago but Tuesday night's game was something else. Our usually rock solid defence was ropey as hell which made for a humdinger. Dundalk again fighting til the very end and getting their rewards with another late winner. Back to back hatricks for McMillan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Pighead wrote: »
    Dundalk's lowest crowd of the season against Longford the other night with just over 1900 paying through the gates. I know it was a Tuesday evening and Longford aren't exactly box office but it's still disappointing that we can't get more people in to watch the champions.

Especially given the excitement on offer in recent games. I thought the Wexford Youths game was a cracker a few weeks ago but Tuesday night's game was something else. Our usually rock solid defence was ropey as hell which made for a humdinger. Dundalk again fighting til the very end and getting their rewards with another late winner. Back to back hatricks for McMillan.

There isn't the same buzz around the league this year. Perhaps it is the Euros or maybe that the standard of the teams (Dundalk and Cork aside) is poor.

Local media and the club can only do so much to encourage people through the gates. People are more influenced by the national media and there is much less focus on the league this season.

Many of the national journalists (in print/TV/radio) who try to sell the league have been focussed on the national team.

Every team (here) that has prolonged success sees their crowds lower. Great for real Dundalk fans but it simply can't have the same buzz as "first trophy in years feeling" for most bandwagoners (and we all need them)

Oh and there's always a dip in the summer. The extended break, and the Euros haven't helped. Pats will have no home league game between June 3rd and July 24th (at the earliest). Our away support was poor in Dundalk with many not even knowing the game was on as they're not used to checking fixtures etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dodge wrote: »
    Our away support was poor in Dundalk with many not even knowing the game was on as they're not used to checking fixtures etc

Could not stop laughing at this

Could not stop laughing at this

I know, I know. But it's true. Pats wouldn't have advertised an away game so if you're caught up in the Euros and you haven't been to a game in 3 weeks it was easy to lose track of it.

I'm sure this applies to every club too. Not lads who post on forums like this who are consumed by all things related to their team but we're not representative of most LOI clubs fan bases

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement