Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

1st time in 4 years visiting The Cross that I seen trouble with fans, 2 groups going at it outside Turners Cross Tavern and another wound up Waterford fan going at 2 guards outside the church across the road, very surprised to see it as ShamoB mentioned, the crowd inside were very quiet.

Take aways from the game :

Hery is a baller, nothing phased him out there, great touch, great passing and vision.
    Mcnamee on the other hand was fairly non existent
    Akinade looks in great shape and has so much potential, it's just a pity about yo know what...
    Game in general was poor enough, a draw would have been a fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk only yet to score.

Thought Drogheda got a premier license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

joeysoap wrote: »
    Thought Drogheda got a premier license?
    Someone said on our match thread the FAI own drogs ground... Can't see the FAI rejecting a licence on a ground they own.
    thank feck i couldn't make it, some very unhappy harpers! Farsical on the opening night of the season though
    *edit apparently 200harpers, that was a great travelling crowd for D1 if true. Be lucky to get 1/5th of that for a mid week replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Taken from the club licensing manual:

FLOODLIGHTING CERTIFICATE

The licence applicant must provide a floodlighting certificate which contains the values for min, max and avg lux level. The certificate must be supplied by an approved electrical contractor and must be dated within the previous 24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

joeysoap wrote: »
    Don’t know Ben, he was captain of the side the won that U19 cup and Carlton was the side. He has played (as has Carlton) for the 1st team. Good luck this year,

Added, I don’t see him on the team sheets

Cheers. Ya well if he has any ability he'll be a huge step up on the rest of Athlones squad, they were horribly bad. We should have scored 2 or 3 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

UCD predictably beat Shels, but Shels were better than expected.

UCD keeper made a top class save right at the end to prevent a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good match at the Cross. First half was a bit scrappy, Waterford had a lot of nice tippy tappy stuff on halfway line but rarely troubled any further up. Akinade, besides one time in the first half, was anonymous. City upped it and took their chances and deservedly won. Keegan lucky McNamee didn't make much more of his yellow, it was a very nasty tackle.

McNamee needs to play at 10, playing on the right doesn't do him any favours. Played a few lovely balls in the second half but wasn't on the ball as much as he should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Farcical scenes out at Bray trying to get into the match. They weren't taking money at the turnstiles so you had to buy tickets from those little hatches in the wall of which only two were open. So there was a queue stretching all around the corner. Must have been waiting about 25 minutes outside. Unbelievable that kick off wasn't delayed.

On the match itself, Pat's deserved the win and probably should have won by more, had some decent chances.

And it was cold, so very very cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Corholio wrote: »
    Good match at the Cross. First half was a bit scrappy, Waterford had a lot of nice tippy tappy stuff on halfway line but rarely troubled any further up. Akinade, besides one time in the first half, was anonymous. City upped it and took their chances and deservedly won. Keegan lucky McNamee didn't make much more of his yellow, it was a very nasty tackle.

McNamee needs to play at 10, playing on the right doesn't do him any favours. Played a few lovely balls in the second half but wasn't on the ball as much as he should have been.

Please only speak for yourself. Don’t tar us all with your opinion.

In my opinion Wexford have Hery. A lovely player and he dictates the pace of any game he is in. But aside from him they have nothing.

Lovely to see they brought 200 or so fans as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

bot43 wrote: »

In my opinion Wexford have Hery. A lovely player and he dictates the pace of any game he is in. But aside from him they have nothing.

Have they?

• Advertisement

What the hell are you talking about :confused:

Corholio wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about :confused:

Are you ok?

1st time in 4 years visiting The Cross that I seen trouble with fans, 2 groups going at it outside Turners Cross Tavern and another wound up Waterford fan going at 2 guards outside the church across the road, very surprised to see it as ShamoB mentioned, the crowd inside were very quiet.

Hery is a baller, nothing phased him out there, great touch, great passing and vision.
    Akinade looks in great shape and has so much potential, it's just a pity about yo know what...

The above was only my opinion, if we need to start stressing that

Are you ok?

Why did you quote my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Fully deserved our win tonight. First goal was a scrappy tap in after a corner Derry didn't deal with. A corner which I'm fairly certain was taken from the wrong side.. Doherty made a great save to tip a Cawley shot over the bar to the left and the ref signalled for the corner to be taken from the right.

Ally Roy was a great signing. Sad that he'll be leaving in June. His goal was great.

My face is finally starting to defrost now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Poor Derry team in the Showgrounds tonight.

Much improved Bit O Red from last week but need to take more of our opportunities. David Cawley was excellent and only a mix up near the end allowed Derry in for a goal.

Monday against our old friends I now look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Farcical scenes out at Bray trying to get into the match. They weren't taking money at the turnstiles so you had to buy tickets from those little hatches in the wall of which only two were open. So there was a queue stretching all around the corner. Must have been waiting about 25 minutes outside. Unbelievable that kick off wasn't delayed.

On the match itself, Pat's deserved the win and probably should have won by more, had some decent chances.

And it was cold, so very very cold.

Bray only have one hatch (two people in it) and then a van down towards the dart barrier. Was that not there? Can buy tickets online too if it helps for the next match there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

prodsc wrote: »
    Poor Derry team in the Showgrounds tonight.

Much improved Bit O Red from last week but need to take more of our opportunities. David Cawley was excellent and only a mix up near the end allowed Derry in for a goal.

Monday against our old friends I now look forward to.

Disappointing start from us for sure.

Hopefully we can improve as the players get to know each other. We brought in a lot of new faces this year.

But I will admit I am worried. Already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ok result to start the season for Rovers, given Finn and Clarke out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fair response from them, over to The Sun 'journalists' now.

Fair response from them, over to The Sun 'journalists' now.

Yeah I agree 100% with their statement, as they say it's time for O'Riordan and Cowzer to put up or shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Good win for City last night despite playing really poorly without a main striker again, only difference this time is that we seem to be able to take whatever chances we get and 5 different goalscorers from 5 goals is great to see so far. Shep up top never works and last night was no different, if Cummins picks up any injury throughout the year we are screwed. Waterford were very poor, cant remember a single chance for them.

Serious crowd for a freezing February night and especially with Munster pulling in 8 thousand just a minute up the road.

I hope Drogheda or whoever gave them a license are made to pay for all of Harps travel costs last night. And likewise for the fans who travelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Thoughts from a Blues fan last night just as a counter point to some of the above. The first half was fairly even. You wouldn't know it was Champs v newly promoted. All the same, the Blues didn't create anything near the City box and Akinade looked a bit lost up front. Keegan booking was a rash challenge from him. It was needless and a stricter ref may have looked at a red. Cork winger was lucky to go unpunished for swiping out with a kick in frustration as a Blues defender shielded the ball out from him. Crazy that no official saw it.

Second half City controlled it bar a 10 min spell after their 2 goals when Waterford actually started using Akinade. City weathered it and then kept the ball very well to see out the game. As a few have said, Hery looks great in every game, Aborah had some nice touches and Fletch dealt with every high ball near the box. We had no width last night and Cork took full advantage. The first goal was well worked but you'd be disappointed to concede that second in the manner we did.

Just on the crowd... Blues fans were very vocal first half, we quietened after the 2 goals. Didn't hear much from the Cork fans until the first goal but the strong wind may have something to do with that as said above.

Rumour on the trouble was that 20 City fans were taking the mickey out of 4 Blues fans at the Tavern and not letting them leave. It's all a bit he said, she said though so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

A very fair and accurate summation of the game there from Chip.

Sadlier looks an absolute class act for City. The ball he put in for Buckley's goal was magnificent - just the way he created the space for himself before putting it on a plate for Bucks. Superb. He's going to be a superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Scrappy game in turners cross last night. Was it 3 shots on target from cork and 0 from us? All the play in midfield, thought we did well bar the ten minute spell where cork got their goals. Cork are so well organised and were very hard to get at last night. Agree with what people have said about mcnamee. Few nice touches but that's all, very soft too. We had a few pints in a pub before the game forget the name the top something or other. Plenty of cork fans in there and no trouble whatsoever just friendly chat. My god that away section must be the coldest spot in Ireland as well. Our season won't be decided by away games to cork, roll on Monday against pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Scrappy game in turners cross last night. Was it 3 shots on target from cork and 0 from us? All the play in midfield, thought we did well bar the ten minute spell where cork got their goals. Cork are so well organised and were very hard to get at last night. Agree with what people have said about mcnamee. Few nice touches but that's all, very soft too. We had a few pints in a pub before the game forget the name the top something or other. Plenty of cork fans in there and no trouble whatsoever just friendly chat. My god that away section must be the coldest spot in Ireland as well. Our season won't be decided by away games to cork, roll on Monday against pats.

Tory Top, you done well to find any City fans in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

No thats the away section in the Carlisle Grounds last night. It was baltic there last night. Onto to the match deserved win for us, had the majority of the play and created the better chances. Defense still a bit shaky so work still to be done.

kksaints wrote: »
    No thats the away section in the Carlisle Grounds last night. It was baltic there last night. Onto to the match deserved win for us, had the majority of the play and created the better chances. Defense still a bit shaky so work still to be done.

What do you reckon Monday night?

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Tory Top, you done well to find any City fans in there.

At a guess I'd say 30, mostly Munster fans though.

What do you reckon Monday night?

If our defending improves then we have a good chance otherwise a score draw is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Cork fans at it in Inchicore last week too. Bad element creeping in, and should be dealt with quickly and effectively

kksaints wrote: »
    If our defending improves then we have a good chance otherwise a score draw is likely.

Yeah, fancy a draw myself but hard to predict because I'd imagine we will be making a few changes. Is there many pats fans expected to travel? Hard to see big numbers considering it's a Monday.

DamienOB wrote: »
    Cork fans at it in Inchicore last week too. Bad element creeping in, and should be dealt with quickly and effectively

To be fair we have a few dopes capable of acting the maggot too.

Yeah, fancy a draw myself but hard to predict because I'd imagine we will be making a few changes. Is there many pats fans expected to travel? Hard to see big numbers considering it's a Monday.

Not sure. Hopefully the weather doesn't get too cold. Cant see us making too many changes if Killian Brennan and Thomas Byrne are still out. Fagan came off after 50 mins so he could be doubtful also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

UCD predictably beat Shels, but Shels were better than expected.

UCD keeper made a top class save right at the end to prevent a draw.
    Thought we were an embarassment personally. Would have been stealing a point if we'd scored at the end.

Seems the Waterford fans were very annoyed that they weren't allowed go for a pint at half time. Its a pity away days turned into an excuse to get hammered

justshane wrote: »
    Anyone get a link for rovers Dundalk?
    What is the story with games being streamed? Isn't there some betting site that does it or something to that effect?

BWIN stream all the games. You need a BWIN account that isn't registered in Ireland. A non-Irish IP and credit on the account.

Alternatively you can use usagoals or goatdee for streams. They usually have a few.
    Seems the Waterford fans were very annoyed that they weren't allowed go for a pint at half time. Its a pity away days turned into an excuse to get hammered

There's something wrong with people who can't go 2 hours without a pint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's something wrong with people who can't go 2 hours without a pint.

Yup. It's called alcoholism.

• Advertisement

There was an incident reported to the police as well about cork fans looking to fight a family making their way to their car last night. One of the Waterford fans was an elderly man in his late 70s. Wonder what their excuse was,

Don't know if you can link streams direct to here but if you go to Andrew Cunneen's Twitter profile and look up a tweet from last night you'll find one that does all the matches.

Don't know if you can link streams direct to here but if you go to Andrew Cunneen's Twitter profile and look up a tweet from last night you'll find one that does all the matches.

The 1xbet mobile site probably. Last season that was up and down for me. Streams were also lower quality than the ones on goatdee and usagoals (although usagoals usually embed the 1xbet stream as link 2 or 3).

There was an incident reported to the police as well about cork fans looking to fight a family making their way to their car last night. One of the Waterford fans was an elderly man in his late 70s. Wonder what their excuse was,

By 'their' I presume you mean that very specific small set of city 'fans'. Bit early in the season for all the silly one-upmanship on stuff that both sides had a tiny scummy element involved in.

It amazes me how many or often some city fans attack families. I wonder is it the same guys or what? They must target the elderly. As these apparent assaults always involve an elderly person and or kids under 10.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

@Oat23 - Subtle Reminder. ;)

Oat23 wrote: »
    Of course it's right at the end of the season I realise I can cast my browser window to my TV to watch bwin streams. I'll have forgotten by the time March rolls around I bet.

:) :pac:

On Sky Germany earlier during the Hamburg/Werder derby, the commentator randomly used Shams to help viewers understand how far HSV have fallen from being a top 20 club in Europe to now being lower than Shams on the FIFA club rankings points list.

It was funny and depressing.
    Wilberto wrote: »
    @Oat23 - Subtle Reminder. ;)

:) :pac:

And I was right. I did forget about the chrome casting feature! Thank you for the reminder.
    I'll have to use 1xbet & usagoals for away games this season though as BWIN have blocked the IPs from my VPN again.

https://twitter.com/search?q=david%20taheny&src=tyah

Greatest league in the world as they say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Might be needing orange balls next Tuesday in Oriel and Friday in the Derry :eek:

Both plastic pitches so that shouldn’t be a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement