Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Have Dundalk been outstanding or have Limerick been garbage!?

Before tonight we were fortunate in that Sligo and Bohs basically just hoofed it forward, and that's how we'd like the opposition to play.

Any team that actually passes the ball and plays their way into a decent position in our half will cut us to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

osarusan wrote: »
    Before tonight we were fortunate in that Sligo and Bohs basically just hoofed it forward, and that's how we'd like the opposition to play.

Any team that actually passes the ball and plays their way into a decent position in our half will cut us to shreds.

Music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Have Dundalk been outstanding or have Limerick been garbage!?

I thought Linerick looked ‘tired’ in the 2nd half. Players missing didn’t help. Mark O’Sulivan was good craic when he came on, certainly put a lot in. Gets the crowd going. Limerick fans were brilliant tonight, absolute respect.

I thought Dan Cleary was outstanding. Terrific partnership with Folan (admittedly hard to judge on tonight’s match, but still)
    major bill wrote: »

think 3 teams in EL all start in the first round too.

Perhaps, but Dundalk should be seeded.There is new co-efficient rules this year, and you have to ‘earn’ all your points now. 31 of the 96 places had been decided by the start of our league, and of the 31 Dundalk are in the top 5. (Equal 3rd) Derry and Rovers are equal 28th. This will change of course as other leagues finish.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

Actually very complicated , but City are in a great position this year with a nice fall back if they are eliminated in the first ( and second? ) round of the CL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Europa_League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Kenny Shiels is a moron. Whinging about having to play in the Brandywell on Friday because they have not get in there themselves yet.

Imagine if they had to play a 4th away game on the spin! Would he prefer go away to Dundalk on Friday?

Posted after the presidents cup match ( first half it snowed and Town were 2 up on City.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    What we learned today, Dundalk play brilliantly when it’s snowing.

Might be needing orange balls next Tuesday in Oriel and Friday in the Derry :eek:

Bring back winter football! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City have postponed the Friday game, rescheduled for Monday 19th March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

All games have been postponed. Should have waited until Saturday to make a call on Limerick and Rovers though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All games have been postponed. Should have waited until Saturday to make a call on Limerick and Rovers though.

Probably easier...for them, to shelve all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shame, was looking forward to the opening of the Brandywell v Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

NIMAN wrote: »
    Shame, was looking forward to the opening of the Brandywell v Dundalk.
    Derrys not allowed back to the Brandywell... or Harps start the season it seems!

In fairness not much forecast up our way, could have pushed the game back a day and waited to see what happened over the next 24hrs

• Advertisement

Pity the plastic pitches don’t come with a snow dusting option. :pac:

https://youtu.be/dsX6NnqyQKY

(I’m joking - it was very cold)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Dundalk fans chanting, 'You're f***ing sh*t', at Limerick. Stay classy lads, it wasn't too long ago they were throwing the clothes off about Mark McNulty saying something similar to them.
    Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dundalk fans chanting, 'You're f***ing sh*t', at Limerick. Stay classy lads, it wasn't too long ago they were throwing the clothes off about Mark McNulty saying something similar to them.
    Link.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

This makes all that even funnier;

Limerick fans sing ''that's why you're champions'' to Dundalk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Link.

Was been song to Mark O Sullivan who came on and looked determined to be sent off actually!

Although as has been said, one team beating another by a heavy score of course the fans are going to be taunting the opposition. It’s rugby you should be watching if that offends you

Link.

I agree, totally uncalled for and a low point of the night. A few years ago I worked with one of the ‘lads’ who used this same chant when Dundalk played Drogheda. I told him I thought the chant was awful and could they not find a better one. He replied along the lines ‘ I don’t make them up, I just go along with it’. As dundalkfc10 points out it was aimed at Mark O’Sullivan who did level best to get sent off. In the end he only managed a booking during his brief appearance. I think everyone in Oriel loves the shed and what they bring to a match, but sometimes they step over the line. I know O’Sullivan was goading them from the minute he came by his ‘antics’. And yes we are too quiet and it takes the shed to lift the atmosphere. Most of us would prefer if they left chants like this out though.

Omackeral wrote: »

You know why that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

bot43 wrote: »
    Oh I definitely acknowledge we have “an element” and it seems to grow year on year unfortunately. The club is well aware of them too and do their best to keep these guys out of grounds. But the club can not keep these idiots from travelling and acting the asshole outside grounds.

I would be very very surprised and upset if I knew some of our fans were targeting young/old families. I’ll go so far as saying I have no doubt that the assertion made is an outright lie and the incident didn’t happen.

Know at least three families that were targeted on their way back to their cars after the match
    the other night...no lies at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I feel like the Limerick fans should have joined in on the "f*ckin' ****" chant. As their team were a disgrace. They lacked any sort of effort at all. You could tell from the first two minutes that Dundalk were going to hammer them. They didn't want to be there. The Limerick fans put in a huge effort to travel up to Dundalk for the game and to see that level of effort, disgusted for them!

On another note, I feel like the highlights for this game could have been so much better. They could have shown Hoban going off and going mental and Kenny throwing the bib at him. Really interesting stuff. They also could have shown O'Sullivan being an absolute idiot. Cleary making a fantastic tackle on him to win the ball and O'Sullivan running up and shouldering him. Then continuing to run around like a headless chicken and three Dundalk players purposely passing the ball around him while he sprints after it and the crowd chanting "ole" for every pass. Then this culminating in him getting booked for a rugby tackle on Cleary.

They need to start looking at "stories" in the game rather than just showing the goals. There are two more personal things that happened in the game that would evoke emotion in people.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    I feel like the Limerick fans should have joined in on the "f*ckin' ****" chant. As their team were a disgrace. They lacked any sort of effort at all. You could tell from the first two minutes that Dundalk were going to hammer them. They didn't want to be there. The Limerick fans put in a huge effort to travel up to Dundalk for the game and to see that level of effort, disgusted for them!

On another note, I feel like the highlights for this game could have been so much better. They could have shown Hoban going off and going mental and Kenny throwing the bib at him. Really interesting stuff. They also could have shown O'Sullivan being an absolute idiot. Cleary making a fantastic tackle on him to win the ball and O'Sullivan running up and shouldering him. Then continuing to run around like a headless chicken and three Dundalk players purposely passing the ball around him while he sprints after it and the crowd chanting "ole" for every pass. Then this culminating in him getting booked for a rugby tackle on Cleary.

They need to start looking at "stories" in the game rather than just showing the goals. There are two more personal things that happened in the game that would evoke emotion in people.

They also showed Duffy’s last goal as his first goal and his first goal as the last of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fans telling other fans not to to slag them off is as pathetic as it gets.

Lads, you's got battered 8-0. Learn from it and move on. Why, why why would you's make it into a story more than it needs it to be and drag this misery out longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Pat's fans, travelling up for Limerick's game in Richmond on March 23. Where are the away fans kept, is it in a section of the main stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pat's fans, travelling up for Limerick's game in Richmond on March 23. Where are the away fans kept, is it in a section of the main stand?

Yep. Section A.

Just be sure to keep your chants polite. Limerick fans are very touchy about bad language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

2 best players of the past few years scoring what's looking like winners for their english clubs today, Mcelenyey for Oldham and Maguire for PNE 2 - 1 now, just back from a 3 month injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2 best players of the past few years scoring what's looking like winners for their english clubs today, Mcelenyey for Oldham and Maguire for PNE 2 - 1 now, just back from a 3 month injury.
    great for the ex-Dundalk lads :D

And Seani makes it 2, came off the bench at ht 1 - 0 down, he's really turned into a hero for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

great for the ex-Dundalk lads :D

He's done some great things on the Oriel Park pitch, alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    He's done some great things on the Oriel Park pitch, alright. :D

The thing is he actually has?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The thing is he actually has?

Sorry I completely misinterpreted. Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hook, line and sinker.
    Reel them in.:pac:

Hook, line and sinker.
    Reel them in.:pac:

Only took about 5 hours :pac:

McEleney’s goal

Why am I glad Oldham don’t play in Drogheda colours?

https://youtu.be/ljr2yuNFdJ0

Cork have won 8 of the last 10 with Dundalk so we have to start putting that right starting on Friday :pac:

Cork have won 8 of the last 10 with Dundalk so we have to start putting that right starting on Friday :pac:

Huge game. If we could open a 7 point gap this early it would be amazing. But I’ll be more than happy with a draw.

Then Shamrock at home a few days after. Huge few days for us.

Huge game. If we could open a 7 point gap this early it would be amazing. But I’ll be more than happy with a draw.

If you play anyway decent you will beat Rovers.

Friday’s match is massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Good warm from Dalk today in preparation for City by playing their under 12s in a friendly

See attached pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If you play in anyway decent and you'll beat Dundalk.

Monday's game is huge

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Good warm from Dalk today in preparation for City by playing their under 12s in a friendly

See attached pic

Mischievous MrMac84 but funny :)

http://www.dundalkfc.com/friendly-dundalk-v-warrenpoint/

It will be a massive statement of intent to go 7 points clear on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Ah sure if you play anyway decent youll beat Dundalk.....no bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cork have to be favourites and are the team to beat as Champions. Dundalk are still finding their feet after making ten new signings and having pre season interrupted with a virus hitting a few players. I'd happily take a draw and a decent performance as we still have to play each other three times and plenty of time to catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork City are on an incredible run versus Dundalk, what is it lost once in 11? Runs like that come to an end and if there was a choice between it ending Friday or towards the end of the season Id take Friday every single time. However, that "Dundalk fear" of 2014 to 2016 is long gone and I believe we can beat them again. Big few days with Shamrock Rovers at home the following Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    Cork City are on an incredible run versus Dundalk, what is it lost once in 11? Runs like that come to an end and if there was a choice between it ending Friday or towards the end of the season Id take Friday every single time.

Really? Surely a Dundalk win would be a psychological advantage after Cork recent record against Dundalk. Cup final aside, Cork have been the better team in those games and bullied us. For that to change on Friday would provide a massive boost to Dundalk and maybe a few doubts back into the Cork players.

I'd take the win on Friday certainly over one at the end of the season.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Really? Surely a Dundalk win would be a psychological advantage after Cork recent record against Dundalk. Cup final aside, Cork have been the better team in those games and bullied us. For that to change on Friday would provide a massive boost to Dundalk and maybe a few doubts back into the Cork players.

I'd take the win on Friday certainly over one at the end of the season.

My attitude is that the run will end at some stage (like everything), Id prefer it to be in series 4 and for Caulfield to rally the troops and go again rather than series 28 or whenever when it could be down to the wire. That said, the nerves will be with Dundalk not to fall 7 points behind us again so early in the season.

Queue boring 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

All first round EA Sports Cup matches due to be played tonight have been postponed for later in the month due to the clean up and/or unplayability of pitches following the bad weather.

Omackeral wrote: »
    All first round EA Sports Cup matches due to be played tonight have been postponed for later in the month due to the clean up and/or unplayability of pitches following the bad weather.

Not enough plastic pitches :)

Joke. We were lucky with the weather

http://www.dundalkfc.com/pictures-training-05-03-2018/

Notwithstanding that every team would want to win anyway for the points, I'd have though Cork would want to win on Friday, to dispel any doubts (and dampen hopes) about their quality.

Surely they want to put off getting beaten (and therefore being seen as beatable) for as long as possible?

Notwithstanding that every team would want to win anyway for the points, I'd have though Cork would want to win on Friday, to dispel any doubts (and dampen hopes) about their quality.

Surely they want to put off getting beaten (and therefore being seen as beatable) for as long as possible?

1. Of course they'll want to win, isnt that the same for every team everywhere?

2. I would have though winning a League and Cup Double and a 3 wins from 3 start might show our quality.

CHealy wrote: »
    1. Of course they'll want to win, isnt that the same for every team everywhere?

2. I would have though winning a League and Cup Double and a 3 wins from 3 start might show our quality.

You are missing my point. I was talking about the (unrealistic) choice between winning on Friday and winning later in the season.

Purely in those terms, I'd expect Cork fans to want to win now rather than later - losing now would give the other teams more hope.

• Advertisement

You are missing my point. I was talking about the (unrealistic) choice between winning on Friday and winning later in the season.

Purely in those terms, I'd expect Cork fans to want to win now rather than later - losing now would give the other teams more hope.

Completely agree. I want city to win on Friday. Having a notion of preferably losing now rather than later is complete pie in the sky stuff or vice versa.

I also want to beat them at the end aswell.
    And twice in between too.
    And in any cup game.
    That goes for the other teams too.
    Think that's enough targets for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement