Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Buckley playing, McNamee on the bench, no Benno and McCormick going off, rightly, really didn't help the flow to city's game. Hopefully it will be normal service on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Was definitely a pen. Defender put his leg out and didn't touch the ball. Thought that might inspire Cork but not at all really. Dundalk should of really won by more.

Some result for rovers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A little statistic that might get lost. That was Gary Rogers 50th clean sheet for Dundalk - out of 93. Not a bad ratio at all.

joeysoap wrote: »
    A little statistic that might get lost. That was Gary Rogers 50th clean sheet for Dundalk - out of 93. Not a bad ratio at all.

He's still useless. Stephen Kenny needs to replace him.

justshane wrote: »
    He's still useless. Stephen Kenny needs to replace him.

His record speaks for itself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

His record speaks for itself .

His record shows he plays for a great team.

He cost Dundalk in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry fan, I'm embarrassed by that scoreline tonight.

From listening on the radio, we were a shambles.

Season has been awful so far. Only pts was a scrappy and probably lucky win at Bohs

I think this season is going to be a tough one for us.

Ok , we’ll agree to disagree.

Anyway young Treacy will be the keeper next year

Something we can agree on: Dan Cleary was some find.

Saw Cleary in a friendly & thought he was poor. Probably was not bothered.

He was excellent against Rovers a few weeks & looks to have followed it up again tonight.

Rovers must be annoyed they didn't sign him. Gilchrist is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Ok , we’ll agree to disagree.

Anyway young Treacy will be the keeper next year

Something we can agree on: Dan Cleary was some find.

I think almost everyone who knows anything about the LOI will disagree with your opinion on Rodgers there.

Find? You say that as if he was some unknown lad kenny found playing on the streets of Dundalk

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I think almost everyone who knows anything about the LOI will disagree with your opinion on Rodgers there.

Find? You say that as if he was some unknown lad kenny found playing on the streets of Dundalk

He wasn’t be with us last year, now he is. Might have ‘found’ him training with Rovers.

Who the fcuk is this ‘ Huban’

https://youtu.be/8Bgbv2cqxZo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He wasn’t be with us last year, now he is. Might have ‘found’ him training with Rovers.

Huban played all night!!

Idiots!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

MD1990 wrote: »
    His record shows he plays for a great team.

He cost Dundalk in Europe.

his saves got Dundalk into Europe aswell!- see how it works?
    GR had an excellent night last night.I have faith in him..
    Sava would be no replacement for Gaz and if you can name another who's better i'm all ears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Blues showed great character to get that 89th minute winner. Bit harsh on Sligo who pushed us back all second half. We will take it though and look forward to the game against Bohs on Monday. Enjoying our start but I reckon we will drop down the table with playing Bohs Dundalk and Rovers in 3 of the next 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

So much to talk about after that game but the one thing that stands out to me is why the bloody hell did the commentator keep calling him Huban?

I’m only speaking for myself of course. Don’t want to tar other CCFC fans with that musing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Huban played all night!!

Idiots!!!
    sugarman wrote: »
    He was absoutely doing my ****ing head in every time he said it, who the **** pronuces HOban, Huban? Its not even an uncommon name.

They were pronouncing his name correctly!

https://twitter.com/Desicurran/status/972239027234639872?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/972241173317341185?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

https://twitter.com/alanmdooley/status/972219985476145154?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Ya well they are all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Seriously poor stuff from City last night, never got going once so Im hoping we can just put it down to one of those nights and move on, Monday night is huge already as if it already wasnt.

Shame to see Cork City fans attacked again in Oriel, this time in the away end where Dundalk fans came from the bar and started lobbing glasses, one fella hit on the side of the head but luckily it was only superficial. How can this continue to happen?

CHealy wrote: »
    Seriously poor stuff from City last night, never got going once so Im hoping we can just put it down to one of those nights and move on, Monday night is huge already as if it already wasnt.

Shame to see Cork City fans attacked again in Oriel, this time in the away end where Dundalk fans came from the bar and started lobbing glasses, one fella hit on the side of the head but luckily it was only superficial. How can this continue to happen?

Again?? There a classy bunch the Dalk fans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Speaking of classy fellas, it was great to see McNulty drop the clanger after all his big fella mouthing.

Ah yeah because winding up your biggest rivals in a local bar is the EXACT same as smashing a fella with a glass! Exactly the same!!

Wasn't comparing the two things, just using the 'classy' as a segue.

Funny you didn't find as much wrong with the post above mine tarring all Dundalk fans with the same brush though. Though you coudn't really, seeing as you're the one that did the tarring.

Who done it so?Where did he say all Dundalk fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well that's what we were told when Cork fans were attacking away fans a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bray were atrocious last night, Limerick weren't much better and as bad as both teams were the pitch was worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'd imagine it was only a few of them.

Something definitely happened as there was a lot of commotion on the away terrace after the game. I didn't see what started it but it could have certainly been a glass was thrown by a Dundalk supporter.

I'm very sceptical when these incidents happen as they seem to grow legs fairly quickly and mutate in to amazing yarns. It was a child that got a pint glass smashed across their head last night according to some on social media. The incident in 2014 was in reality a handful of 13-17 year old scrotes throwing whatever they had in their pockets at the Cork fans for about three seconds. It mutated into dozens of golf balls, fireworks, supporters busses smashed up etc etc

However neither of these instances should happen and its down to inadequate security. The stewards are fans with bibs. They spend the game chatting and watching the action on the field rather than what's happening in the terraces. Any Cork fans that witnessed anything should make a complaint to their club and insist that the club make a complaint to the FAI, Garda and Dundalk FC. Bitching, moaning and point scoring on Internet fora and social media isn't going to change a thing as much as we'd all like it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a Derry fan, I'm embarrassed by that scoreline tonight.

From listening on the radio, we were a shambles.

Season has been awful so far. Only pts was a scrappy and probably lucky win at Bohs

I think this season is going to be a tough one for us.

For 20 mins last night Derry were playing very well and they were opening Rovers up with ease. They had a few chances to take the lead and the Rovers back line along with Kevin Horgan looked very dodgy in the first half.

Once Rovers scored their first goal, somewhat against the run of play, they became more and more confident and tore Derry apart in the end. Sean Kavanagh was brilliant and looks almost a level above anyone else in the team, think he will be a really big player this year. Burke is great to watch when he's on form as well. Rovers looked like contenders last night but have a feeling they will slip up against some teams and when the going gets tough some players will struggle.

Not convinced by Gilchrist at all, would have thought Lopes would be a better option.

I was at the match, left relatively late, as my the part of the stand I was in was slow to clear, and I saw nothing. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen of course. But I thought Dundalk locked the door into the bar from the terraces, so how did some scumbag manage to throw the glass? Could have been from the front door of course and when City fans were leaving. Must have been a dozen Guardai at the match, so hopefully somebody caught.

Have to say again Oriel badly needs something done about the away end and then the town end (it’s only marginally better, and when it rains is no better)

I’m sticking with Hoban :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Sava would be no replacement for Gaz and if you can name another who's better i'm all ears?

Supple, Schligerman, McGuinness, McNulty, Cherrie, Vigouroux off top of my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Does anybody know if there is extra time and penalties in the first round of the EA Sports Cup if a game ends in a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Schlingerman is awful.

Fun statistic

Sava and Cherrie were both booked within 2 minutes of each other in the final match of 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pighead wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is extra time and penalties in the first round of the EA Sports Cup if a game ends in a draw?

Extra time and penalties on the night. It's already been postponed as it is so I'm sure most are happy that's the case.

Is he any good though? Bit of a unknown. I think Kenny should push the boat out and get Supple. Serious keeper and not as likely to do something stupid in big European games as Gabby and Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Rogers is way ahead of Schlingerman. Schlingerman is currently not getting a game for us.

justshane wrote: »
    Is he any good though? Bit of a unknown. I think Kenny should push the boat out and get Supple. Serious keeper and not as likely to do something stupid in big European games as Gabby and Gary.

Dundalk interested in Supple last year. But he wanted to continue playing Gaelic with St Brigids. Bohs happy with this, but Dundalk not happy with this, so didn’t persue it.

* Gary Rogers is goalkeeper coach with Westmeath GAA , as it’s unlikely he’ll get injured coaching, Dundalk are happy with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

No love for Brendan Clarke here it seems...

• Advertisement

Dundalk interested in Supple last year. But he wanted to continue playing Gaelic with St Brigids. Bohs happy with this, but Dundalk not happy with this, so didn’t persue it.

* Gary Rogers is goalkeeper coach with Westmeath GAA , as it’s unlikely he’ll get injured coaching, Dundalk are happy with this.

Not surprised Rogers has a GAA background.

He plays like a GAA keeper poor with ball at feet & kicks the ball like its gaelic too.

I think Clarke and Murphy are underrated keepers. Don’t know why Rovers let Murphy go, I thought he was fairly useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Clarke and Murphy are underrated keepers. Don’t know why Rovers let Murphy go, I thought he was fairly useful.

Definitely better than both of the keepers they have at the moment anyway.

Heard Tony O'Donoghue on Game On saying Hooban too.

Yup lots of outlets calling him Pat Whoban not Hoeban he must have briefed the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Yup lots of outlets calling him Pat Whoban not Hoeban he must have briefed the media

He was Hoban in 2014. That spell in England must have turned his head :)

Added
    civis liberalis: you are from Galway. How do Galwegians pronounce Hoban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

We brought Rogers in to replace Clarke in Sligo and it was a massive upgrade. Clarke is better in one way though, he's very comfortable on the ball which allows the defence the option to go back every time. Something you won't get with Rogers.

Rogers has also kept his GAA habit of sticking the studs out whenever he goes up for a high ball so yeah hes a bit of a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Four games in and no goals conceded for Dundalk is a testament to how strong we are at centre -. A bit early in the season to be asking this perhaps but could this be the beginning of the end for Gartland?

We have four legitimate quality centre backs and Kenny is really spoilt for choice in that area. Gartland has to be a bit worried about his starting place. It's not just one guy he's fighting with for his place, it's two. I know it's a bit soon be proclaiming Cleary as the next coming but he's been class so far and probably one of the first names on Kenny's teamsheets.

Stephen Folan has been very good as well and has a Gartland like knack for popping up with important goals while Sean Hoare was solid as a rock against Cork the other night especially considering it was the first time he has played with Cleary. Gartland is 31 now and has plenty of miles on the clock. A club legend no doubt but he's got a fight on his hands to reclaim his place I reckon.

We have such a strong squad at the minute it's kind of hard to pick our strongest 11. Rogers, Gannon, Massey, Cleary, Shields, Benson, Duffy and Hoban are probably assured their places most weeks but after that there's a lot of quality players fighting for the remaining three spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

doncarlos wrote: »
    You might be surprised by the standard but like any game where two of the better sides in a league meet, it could be a classic or could be a snoozefest. Hopefully you enjoy it regardless.

Not been on boards since the game, have to say I was very impressed, I was craving live sport anyway but the quality wasn't bad at all.

Dundalk bossed the game very comfortably, thought Cork were poor enough at the back and worse in the middle of the park, really struggled to take the ball off of the centre backs. Keeper was pretty flappy, but I'd have a bit of sympathy for him on that pitch on a drizzly night.

Dundalk hospitality was great, plenty of friendly fans. Went into the away 'end' for the second half as I was with a Cork fan, just as much fun, definitely wasn't expecting the fireworks display! Only negative to the experience was a group of maybe 10 scrotes coming through a smoking area and having a bit of a charging match with the away fans, few bottles and glasses thrown. Kids who've watched green street too many times no doubt.

Already lining up my next LOI trip, may need to find a Dublin team to adopt soon I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement