Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Pighead wrote: »

We have such a strong squad at the minute it's kind of hard to pick our strongest 11. Rogers, Gannon, Massey, Cleary, Shields, Benson, Duffy and Hoban are probably assured their places most weeks but after that there's a lot of quality players fighting for the remaining three spots.

The only weakness could be at number nine.

I have only seen snatches of Marco but my impression is that he isn't a number nine.

Hoban was pivotal in all Dundalk's attacking play on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

doncarlos wrote: »
    Something definitely happened as there was a lot of commotion on the away terrace after the game. I didn't see what started it but it could have certainly been a glass was thrown by a Dundalk supporter.

I'm very sceptical when these incidents happen as they seem to grow legs fairly quickly and mutate in to amazing yarns. It was a child that got a pint glass smashed across their head last night according to some on social media. The incident in 2014 was in reality a handful of 13-17 year old scrotes throwing whatever they had in their pockets at the Cork fans for about three seconds. It mutated into dozens of golf balls, fireworks, supporters busses smashed up etc etc

However neither of these instances should happen and its down to inadequate security. The stewards are fans with bibs. They spend the game chatting and watching the action on the field rather than what's happening in the terraces. Any Cork fans that witnessed anything should make a complaint to their club and insist that the club make a complaint to the FAI, Garda and Dundalk FC. Bitching, moaning and point scoring on Internet fora and social media isn't going to change a thing as much as we'd all like it to

I was actually standing just under the shelter when a few kids came through from the smoking area (?) behind us, they were a bit giddy and at first I thought they'd snuck in a few cans and were having their first beers or something...

They started shouting at the Cork lads and their group of kids were just as eager to come over to them and be wannabe hard men, unfortunately a couple of the dundalk lads wanted to be super-hardmen and picked up a metal railing and shoved it at them and then chucked a couple of bottles/glasses and threw a couple of punches before stewards & gards got involved. It was nothing major really, all seemed like a few kids getting over excited after their first shandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

They do be trying to upset the Rovers lads with that kind of craic as well.......shocking so it is Joe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

joeysoap wrote: »
    He was Hoban in 2014. That spell in England must have turned his head :)

Added
    civis liberalis: you are from Galway. How do Galwegians pronounce Hoban?

I'm Galwegian and I'd say Hoeban. Dad has informed me though that Hobans down his side of the county pronounce it Hooban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Its actually shocking how important Alan Bennett still is to us. Without him the other night I had zero confidence whatsoever of a result. That Conor McCartthy looked like the senior centre back is a testament to how poor Aaron Barry was. I am also very disappointed that we have nothing better than Griffin at left full. I have seen nothing in him at all. Some say he is good going forward but I do not see that either.

Big game for us tonight. Shamrock have no fear of us and will be oozing confidence after Friday so will relish coming down and putting us back in our box. But I cannot see us losing 2 on the bounce either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Im very worried about the City v Rovers match tonight, I watched the Dundalk game back yesterday and we looked like a team who never played with each other. Caulfields stamp since he's been here has been the strength in his defense, so far this season its been pretty much non existent. Im hoping it was just one of those nights but theres a great chance for Rovers to get a rare win in Cork tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't see what is worrying Cork fans. Rovers have not shrugged off self-destruction and discipline issues yet and tonight will be a big test, especially the latter.

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't see what is worrying Cork fans. Rovers have not shrugged off self-destruction and discipline issues yet and tonight will be a big test, especially the latter.

Our defense. For the first time since Caulfield took over we look like conceding in every single game. Griffin and Barry in particular have been rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CHealy wrote: »
    Im very worried about the City v Rovers match tonight, I watched the Dundalk game back yesterday and we looked like a team who never played with each other. Caulfields stamp since he's been here has been the strength in his defense, so far this season its been pretty much non existent. Im hoping it was just one of those nights but theres a great chance for Rovers to get a rare win in Cork tonight.

You wouldnt be if you'd seen the opening 30 minutes on Friday in Tallaght. We still handed Derry 3 great chances & could easily have been 3 down before we started scoring. I suspect had Cork or Dundalk been handed those chances they'd have taken at least 2 of them & been comfortable. We still give up a frightening amount of chances.

I see tonights game as almost a freebie, I expect nothing from it so if we managed a point its a bonus.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Rovers defense is questionable, if Derry had scored early doors on Friday things could have been different.Would be happy leaving Cork tonight with a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

hots wrote: »

Dundalk hospitality was great, plenty of friendly fans. Went into the away 'end' for the second half as I was with a Cork fan, just as much fun, definitely wasn't expecting the fireworks display! Only negative to the experience was a group of maybe 10 scrotes coming through a smoking area and having a bit of a charging match with the away fans, few bottles and glasses thrown. Kids who've watched green street too many times no doubt.

Already lining up my next LOI trip, may need to find a Dublin team to adopt soon I think.

I thought they kept the door from the bar to the ground closed during matches, obviously not if scuts were able to throw glasses. ( I also thought all of Oriel was a non smoking area, but this obviously can’t be enforced)

Club statement but doesn’t say a lot

http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-3/

And finally

Bray. Adopt Bray. You’ll be glad you did. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus with Cork and Rovers playing down their teams so much I'll be expecting 6 points from 6 at the Markets Field this weekend! :pac:

I thought they kept the door from the bar to the ground closed during matches, obviously not if scuts were able to throw glasses. ( I also thought all of Oriel was a non smoking area, but this obviously can’t be enforced)

Club statement but doesn’t say a lot

http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-3/

And finally

Bray. Adopt Bray. You’ll be glad you did. :)

May not be a smoking area tbf, just looked a bit like it from a glance inside the door! Surprised the club acknowledged it tbh, was no more than handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

hots wrote: »
    May not be a smoking area tbf, just looked a bit like it from a glance inside the door! Surprised the club acknowledged it tbh, was no more than handbags.

So no child hit with a pint glass?

Regardless, fault had to lie with Dundalk's match night security to allow Dundalk fans anywhere near the away section. Could have ended up much worse

doncarlos wrote: »
    So no child hit with a pint glass?

Regardless, fault had to lie with Dundalk's match night security to allow Dundalk fans anywhere near the away section. Could have ended up much worse

Honestly there may have been, there were glasses and bottles thrown, and they were all kids so if one of them hit someone it probably was a child. I didn't see anyone hurt or anything anyway, and we were no more than 20ft away. It was over in a minute like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

CHealy wrote: »
    Our defense. For the first time since Caulfield took over we look like conceding in every single game. Griffin and Barry in particular have been rubbish.

Ive only seen one full match of cork this season and that was when you beat us 2-0. I thought defensively cork were fantastic against Waterford that night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Confident of a city win tonight. Bennett not playing, McNamee not playing and .McCormick being taken off as he was on a yellow, certainly didn't help city v Dundalk. Hoping we revert to type tonight and get over Rovers. We usually raise our game playing them, the fans will be in full voice and a return to winning ways should ensue. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness the start of last season Delaney looked really poor and a lot were saying the same thing about him and the defence, some wanted him dropped after 2-3 games. I'm not saying Barry or the other defenders there will eventually get some consistency but playing alongside Benno will only improve them, how often they'll get to do that is another thing though. Still to see what Kane is like there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think everyone in Bray was taken out by a fireball or something.

GargantuanDistinctEarwig-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

usagoals.me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bray to struggle to get 10 points this season....unless those fireballs hit the opposition

Mushy wrote: »
    Bray to struggle to get 10 points this season....unless those fireballs hit the opposition

Looked like the keeper could have done much better for the first and the second was very poor defending, but a well taken goal by McAleer.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Massive 3 points for us. Hopefully kick on from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was listening along on Radio Foyle. Limerick seemed to be fairly well in the game, without really threatening, until the hour mark, but then fell apart and conceded 3 goals in 8 minutes. Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

How long can Bray avoid the "asterisk"? 1 point from first 5 games and 384 at tonights game.

Great win for the blues over Bohs. Was impressed with Bohs thought they knocked the ball around well and were organised nicely. They missed one or two chances as well, it was fairly even but thought when we got it together we played the better football. Nice goal from Puri and a great start to the season for us. Looks like the RSC will be a tough place for visiting teams this season (hopefully!). Roll on Dundalk Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great win over Rovers.

Awful first 30 minutes. City deserved the win in end but I was very disappointed with Rovers. Created sweet FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Delighted to beat Rovers....Christ Buttimer let Bradley go halfway into caulfields box, allowed him to despite the crowd screaming at him to get out....he was up in a shot if Caulfield barely over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted to beat Rovers....Christ Buttimer let Bradley go halfway into caulfields box, allowed him to despite the crowd screaming at him to get out....he was up in a shot if Caulfield barely over the line

It was not even a physical game or anything. No idea why he was acting like nob.

Actually spurred us on though so we should thank him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A very nice 3 points tonight. City really should have scored at least 1 more. First half rovers played some good ball around midfield and were on top in that area but that was as good as it got for them. I thought they were absolutely toothless in the foward line though, never really threatened considering how much possession their midfield were had but nothing beyond that. They can't gave any complaints about the pen.
    City upped the performance in the second half and really should have put the game to bed on a few occasions.
    McCormick was a right terrier tonight, got lumps kicked out of him but gave it back throughout, great game. Sadlier did well, McNamee covered some ground and got on the ball more in the second half as did Sheppard.
    4,500 was a very good crowd for a nippy Monday night, nice away crowd as always.

Sitting pretty on top of the league......with Waterford !!
    3 points ahead of a team who beat us a few days ago, haven't lost or conceeded a goal.
    3 blanks for Dundalk in 5 games, long may it continue!

It was absolutely ridiculous. Bradley was losing the plot on a few occasions, acting out like a petulant child. It really got the crowd going, so thanks for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Cork City should of been 3 up but for poor finishing and nearly got caught at the end -Mcnamee was very good spraying the ball around

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A very nice 3 points tonight. City really should have scored at least 1 more. First half rovers played some good ball around midfield and were on top in that area but that was as good as it got for them. I thought they were absolutely toothless in the foward line though, never really threatened considering how much possession their midfield were had but nothing beyond that. They can't gave any complaints about the pen.
    City upped the performance in the second half and really should have put the game to bed on a few occasions.
    McCormick was a right terrier tonight, got lumps kicked out of him but gave it back throughout, great game. Sadlier did well, McNamee covered some ground and got on the ball more in the second half as did Sheppard.
    4,500 was a very good crowd for a nippy Monday night, nice away crowd as always.

Sitting pretty on top of the league......with Waterford !!
    3 points ahead of a team who beat us a few days ago, haven't lost or conceeded a goal.
    3 blanks for Dundalk in 5 games, long may it continue!

You joking the lad up front for rovers was a handful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

osarusan wrote: »
    Was listening along on Radio Foyle. Limerick seemed to be fairly well in the game, without really threatening, until the hour mark, but then fell apart and conceded 3 goals in 8 minutes. Jaysus.

Just back in from game, what a night to open the new stadium.

It was a 50 50 game until about the 60th min. Yes we were leading at halftime but limerick had played well, better than us in fact. Plus they had hit the post.

2nd half they passed it around nicely for 10 min, and looked the better team. Then they collapsed. Not sure what happened. We got 4 in 15mind, some nice goals but it certainly was not a 5 nil game.

But I'll take it. It was a massive 3 pts for us, and the players will take a lot of confidence from it. If we can get another 3 on Friday night v Bray it'll be great, cos I think dundalk next Monday will be a defeat.

Much better from City for large parts of the game, nervous at the start but played some great stuff when they got it to McNamee and Sadlier, they will be huge for us. 4400 on a freezing Monday is fantastic to see, and it was a brilliant Shamrock Rovers crowd for a weeknight aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just back in from game, what a night to open the new stadium.

It was a 50 50 game until about the 60th min. Yes we were leading at halftime but limerick had played well, better than us in fact. Plus they had hit the post.

2nd half they passed it around nicely for 10 min, and looked the better team. Then they collapsed. Not sure what happened. We got 4 in 15mind, some nice goals but it certainly was not a 5 nil game.

But I'll take it. It was a massive 3 pts for us, and the players will take a lot of confidence from it. If we can get another 3 on Friday night v Bray it'll be great, cos I think dundalk next Monday will be a defeat.

That game V us is gonna be called off, you have a load of international call ups

Zico ! wrote: »
    You joking the lad up front for rovers was a handful

Was McNulty ever really threatened? Considering the amount of ball their midfield had, particularly the first half, I thought they should have done a lot better with efforts on goal than what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Scrappy first half but should have been out of sight by 70 min with the chances missed. A nervous enough last 10 minutes that a single goal lead brings. Rovers were handy enough in parts though, just broke down a lot in the final third.

Question for Rovers fans, does Burke always drop so deep? He was picking up the ball on the halfway line at times with 3 or 4 other Rovers players ahead of him. He's a very decent player but never seemed to have the ball close enough to goal to cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Most exciting it's been as a Waterford fan for many a season. I still think the squad is a little too light to maintain any sort of challenge to top 3 but what a start. Hard fought 3 points tonight. Great start to the season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It was absolutely ridiculous. Bradley was losing the plot on a few occasions, acting out like a petulant child. It really got the crowd going, so thanks for that :pac:

Bradley wanted Caulfield to react. Caulfield just laughed at him. Hilarious scenes.

City the better team overall and deserved the three points, should have been out of sight in the second half though. I was worried when I saw the back four but once they got over the first twenty minutes they were great - McLaughlin in particular was the standout. He could have a bright future ahead of him.

Poor old Dundalk must have been wrecked after winning their cup final last Friday, going by last night's result for them.

Was McNulty ever really threatened? Considering the amount of ball their midfield had, particularly the first half, I thought they should have done a lot better with efforts on goal than what they did.

The effort that hit the crossbar was a threat allright

Roar wrote: »

Poor old Dundalk must have been wrecked after winning their cup final last Friday, going by last night's result for them.

Still hurting over it yourself it seems.........

Zico ! wrote: »
    The effort that hit the crossbar was a threat allright

Was that at the end? I was at the other side but I thought it was cleared off the line, heart in mouth moment either way but that was Rovers only chance in the entire game. That lad McLaughlin has to be on the teamsheet for next Friday after his performance last night, looked so much more composed that Barry who Im still waiting to see come good. Connor McCarthy was also solid at RB although you'd have to wonder why we signed Tobi and Horgan when its a recent u19 graduate who gets in ahead of them, Im not complaining though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Bradley wanted Caulfield to react. Caulfield just laughed at him. Hilarious scenes.

City the better team overall and deserved the three points, should have been out of sight in the second half though. I was worried when I saw the back four but once they got over the first twenty minutes they were great - McLaughlin in particular was the standout. He could have a bright future ahead of him.

Sure the players were out celebrating all weekend, Glad to take a point last night

17 attempts on goal, 7 stops by the keeper ( Barry Murphy) . Of the 4 shots that beat him : 2 cleared off the line, one off the crossbar and one offside.

Some nights go like that, you just have to suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

17 attempts on goal, 7 stops by the keeper ( Barry Murphy) . Of the 4 shots that beat him : 2 cleared off the line, one off the crossbar and one offside.

Sounds like a cup final hangover to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

And long may it last.

Limerick F.C.
    Played 3
    Won 1
    Drew 1
    Got Hockeyed 1

I’ve updated this for you

Played 5
    Won 2
    Drew 1
    Got Hockeyed 2

Still level with Rovers though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Mark O Sullivan was at the CCFC game last night. Was he injured or suspended or what that he didnt travel to Derry?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement