Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

bot43 wrote: »
    Mark O Sullivan was at the CCFC game last night. Was he injured or suspended or what that he didnt travel to Derry?

Injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mark O Sullivan was at the CCFC game last night. Was he injured or suspended or what that he didnt travel to Derry?

Injured, he missed the Bray match with a hand injury and think someone mentioned it could be a broken bone or something. Big loss too as the other lads (Ellis and Morrissey) don't have that same level of graft work that O'Sullivan produces but Morrissey does have the better finishing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

4-3 game... youd think it would have been good....2 disallowed too for us. Could have blown a 4 goal lead!
    I know we rested a few in midfield/defence but it was suicidal at times. Gallagher is going to be safe as our #1. Bad when you bring on a defender against a non league/amalgamation side.
    On the upside look good in attack! o'Flynn, M o'Connor looking sharp and some nice interplay all around. If we fully gel this year could run up big scores. This is the complete opposite of Horgans initial teams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

That Mayo League team that played against Harps, is that just their Oscar Traynor team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That Mayo League team that played against Harps, is that just their Oscar Traynor team?

Some game. 4-0 down and dragged it back to 4-3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some game. 4-0 down and dragged it back to 4-3!
    It really wasn't as impressive as it sounds! (very poor from us though to let them back in)

Is it just the Mayo Oscar Traynor team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Live matches scheduled

Full list of scheduled TV matches:-

23/03/2018, Waterford v Shamrock Rovers, RTE, KO 7.45pm
    30/03/2018, Derry City v St. Patrick’s Athletic, RTE, KO 7.30pm
    06/04/2018, Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers, RTE, KO 7.30pm
    13/04/2018, Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, eirSport, KO 8pm
    20/04/2018, Bohemians v Cork City, eirSport, KO 8pm
    27/04/2018, Cork City v Dundalk, RTE, KO 7.15pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

joeysoap wrote: »
    Live matches scheduled

Full list of scheduled TV matches:-

23/03/2018, Waterford v Shamrock Rovers, RTE, KO 7.45pm
    30/03/2018, Derry City v St. Patrick’s Athletic, RTE, KO 7.30pm
    06/04/2018, Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers, RTE, KO 7.30pm
    13/04/2018, Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, eirSport, KO 8pm
    20/04/2018, Bohemians v Cork City, eirSport, KO 8pm
    27/04/2018, Cork City v Dundalk, RTE, KO 7.15pm

Sligo, Limerick and Bray left out. You'd think they would try cover everyone.

..Limerick.. left out. You'd think they would try cover everyone.
    I'm fine with that.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

To be fair its just till the end of april. I am sure they will be covered during the season

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm fine with that.:o

I second this, especially games at the market's field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Is it just the Mayo Oscar Traynor team?

Yes. As opposed to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Good, unless it's an away game.

Any reason why the Mayo league get to enter a team along with the likes of Cockhill Celtic, St Mochta and UCC?

Any reason why the Mayo league get to enter a team along with the likes of Cockhill Celtic, St Mochta and UCC?

Mayo actually being in season, as they have been a summer league since sometime in the 90s. Also politics more than likely.

Yes. As opposed to what?
    Merely curious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kerry League did so too in the early-mid 2000's. Two regions that could possibly sustain an LOI club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Corholio wrote: »
    Question for Rovers fans, does Burke always drop so deep? He was picking up the ball on the halfway line at times with 3 or 4 other Rovers players ahead of him. He's a very decent player but never seemed to have the ball close enough to goal to cause problems.

It's usually not a good sign and often a second half phenomenon. When he's on form, it's like he thinks he can take on everyone. And he has shown he can smash it in from 30+ yards...

When it doesn't work, he gets frustrated...which is the worst thing possible.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kerry League did so too in the early-mid 2000's. Two regions that could possibly sustain an LOI club.

With the underage set up now, Mayo have entered the 15s league and Kerry have a team in the 15s, 17s and 19s that they may be able to enter a senior team in time but with the costs of just entering teams it will probably never happen.

• Advertisement

With the underage set up now, Mayo have entered the 15s league and Kerry have a team in the 15s, 17s and 19s that they may be able to enter a senior team in time but with the costs of just entering teams it will probably never happen.
    Is there much point having underage LOI if all you're doing is feeding other teams and not reaping the rewards?

Is there much point having underage LOI if all you're doing is feeding other teams and not reaping the rewards?

Gives the young kids in Kerry a team to play with at elite level youth football in Ireland instead of having to travel hours to somewhere like Limerick or Cork and if anyone picks up a young player from the Kerry team it's the KDSL who'll get compensated.

Even if Kerry put in a senior team I'm sure it's still other teams that will reap the awards as their best young players will still leave.

It’s getting the same at City and Dundalk (and to a degree Pats) good underage players are initially ‘loaned’ out to other clubs, while the club acquires new players from other LOI clubs or abroad. I wish it were otherwise but for the moment anyway that’s the way it seems to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

joeysoap wrote: »
    It’s getting the same at City and Dundalk (and to a degree Pats) good underage players are initially ‘loaned’ out to other clubs, while the club acquires new players from other LOI clubs or abroad. I wish it were otherwise but for the moment anyway that’s the way it seems to be.

Dundalk aren't producing players really. The two O'Connors and Poynton are the only ones that really have sniffed around the fringes of the first team. Rovers seem to be the only side that's producing players to any decent standard but I think this will be nipped in the bud and they'll import players if they continue to not win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

doncarlos wrote: »
    Rovers seem to be the only side that's producing players to any decent standard but I think this will be nipped in the bud and they'll import players if they continue to not win the league

Not unless theres an increase in budget & a major change in philosophy.

The whole point of the investment in the Roadstone project & developing the underage set up is to increase the flow of players up through the ranks as we've shown first hand how throwing money at players doesnt work long term & something had to change.

I'll put my hands up & admit I'm sceptical about its ability to return success for the senior team but I also admire the fact the club has invested so heavily in its underage set up and didnt simply go down the route of paying the likes of Killain Brennan a grand a week to do the bare minimum.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Dundalk aren't producing players really. The two O'Connors and Poynton are the only ones that really have sniffed around the fringes of the first team. Rovers seem to be the only side that's producing players to any decent standard but I think this will be nipped in the bud and they'll import players if they continue to not win the league

Carlton Ubaezuoni and Jake O’Connor are two Dundalk players currently on loan, both got a few matches last year. But how to get team time when the club policy is signing new players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

winning the league is not really the critical criterion for its success. It can be successful and pay its way by European qualification.

A few seasons of not qualifying for Europe would be much much more detrimental in its early stages than say finishing second or even fourth. And every round of qualifying got through secures it a bit more.

June 16 2017 I went on see Limerick away to table-toppers Cork, Cork fans were mute.
    9 months to the day I'm here in the Markets Field to see Limerick play league-leaders Cork, they are again silent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Derry down to 10 men at 55 mins but still manage to put 4 more goals in (and concede 1) against Bray. 5-1 FT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sickener of a result tonight away in Dundalk.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised Bohs haven't kicked on after the big opening win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sickener of a result tonight away in Dundalk.
    Disagree. I thought it was wonderful. Is there anything sweeter in sport than a last minute winner?

Huge result for us especially when Cork only drew. Again we weren't great but definitely deserved the win. So many chances this evening. Want to see our disallowed goal again as well. Didn't look offside in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pighead wrote: »
    Disagree. I thought it was wonderful. Is there anything sweeter in sport than a last minute winner?

Huge result for us especially when Cork only drew. Again we weren't great but definitely deserved the win. So many chances this evening. Want to see our disallowed goal again as well. Didn't look offside in real time.

Isn't it mad how two fans can see something the opposite way, almost like they supported opposing teams! We played very negatively, just the manner of the defeat that's a sickener.

Dundalk are still right in the hunt for the title imo

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Waterford were fantastic for 35 minutes and Dundalk couldn't get near them, Dundalk came more into the game as the half wore on. Second half was a different story and Dundalk battered Waterford. I'm not sure was it instructions to sit back or had Waterford punched themselves out as they were a shell of the side they were in the first. A well deserved but well fought win against a decent side. I think Waterford will do well this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Surprised Bohs haven't kicked on after the big opening win.

I don’t feel we’ve been especially bad in the matches we lost, but tonight we performed real well. Should have won.

Special mention to the ref, who I believe was transported directly from the 1970’s to ref this one.

• Advertisement

Very good result for Limerick, and after the heavy defeats, a really excellent, spirited, team performance. Well worth the point against a Cork team that never really got going (which, to a certain extent, was because Limerick didn't allow them to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers deserved winners against pats. Not many chances in the game but pats looked as if they were playing for the draw. Rovers had a lot of possession but lacked penetration.. Kavanagh and Burke who were so good last week were very quiet tonight. Scrappy goal, cross put into the box went under the keeper and I think it went down as an OG for Toner in the end.

Big crowd and good atmosphere in Tallaght tonight, must have been 4,000 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

June 16 2017 I went on see Limerick away to table-toppers Cork, Cork fans were mute.
    9 months to the day I'm here in the Markets Field to see Limerick play league-leaders Cork, they are again silent.

You publishing a diary or something?

Corholio wrote: »
    You publishing a diary or something?
    Not yet but if you're interested in reading further accounts of Cork City fans being like mice then I'll work on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Rovers deserved winners against pats. Not many chances in the game but pats looked as if they were playing for the draw. Rovers had a lot of possession but lacked penetration.. Kavanagh and Burke who were so good last week were very quiet tonight. Scrappy goal, cross put into the box went under the keeper and I think it went down as an OG for Toner in the end.

Big crowd and good atmosphere in Tallaght tonight, must have been 4,000 there.

Great to see another big crowd.

Part of me wants a 3 way title race because the attendances for all our home (and away) games will be massive, be a great boost for the league.

I can see us and cork stretching away from everyone but you would never know in this league, Bray played 4 away games drew with us 0-0 in one and got battered in 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Roar wrote: »

Poor old Dundalk must have been wrecked after winning their cup final last Friday, going by last night's result for them.

Poor old cork must have been wrecked after winning their cup final on Monday, going by tonight's result.

Great save by Vigouroux to keep the scores level at half time, (yes, I know Waterford were good in the first half and could have done better with one chance)
    2nd half was a whole different ball game, Dundalk should have scored from a rebound and I think most in the ground were ‘surprised’ by the offside. We’ll have to see replays. Waterford had two quick chances but also wasted a lot of time, throw ins, goal kicks etc. goal was late but no less than Dundalk deserved.

Waterford lined out slightly different from teamsheet? Kasmi started as no. 22 (he was excellent)

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomesticIreland/status/974728759118106629/photo/3

Rogers keeps another clean sheet. :pac:

Finally : Dundalk ban 3 scumbags from Oriel (from the Cork match)

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc-statement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

They saw your post a few weeks ago and decided to keep it clean for fear of offending your precious sensibilities.

We were absolutely awful again last night. Not a single player can say he did alright. Limericks goal was pathetic. Brave Billy got a straight run without being tackled before a weak shot somehow beat McNulty.

Mcnamee doesn’t deserve his spot in the team. Been very poor. He will come good but last night wasn’t his night. Sadlier seems to believe his own hype. Could have passed a bit last night to guys in better positions.

We need to up our game big time for Monday. Limerick deserves at least a point from that.

As a side note and not excusing anything but my god that pitch in markets field is awful. Worst I’ve seen in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bray were shocking.

Good to see us bang in a few more goals. Hopefully the Brandywell can be a fortress for us this season.

Good result last night, that's a point you weren't expecting and apart from the two hammerings away from home on astro the team are unbeaten on grass.

Listening to Tommy Barrett this morning on the radio and injuries are starting to pile up with such a small squad. Morrissey and Kearns picked up injuries last night to add to Mark O'Sullivan whose out for a few weeks, Wearen who got injured away to Derry and Barry Maguire who got injured on his debut because of the pitch at the market's field.

Gonna be a tough game against Rovers on Monday night, both defeats this season have also came during mid week games and can't see Tommy risking the lads who picked up knocks last night and give them a rest for Friday's game away to Pats.

We were absolutely awful again last night. Not a single player can say he did alright. Limericks goal was pathetic. Brave Billy got a straight run without being tackled before a weak shot somehow beat McNulty.

Mcnamee doesn’t deserve his spot in the team. Been very poor. He will come good but last night wasn’t his night. Sadlier seems to believe his own hype. Could have passed a bit last night to guys in better positions.

We need to up our game big time for Monday. Limerick deserves at least a point from that.

As a side note and not excusing anything but my god that pitch in markets field is awful. Worst I’ve seen in a while.
    Pitch is indeed awful. The group in charge of the ground insist on hosting rugby games because it's supposed to be a municipal stadium, even though the rugby teams mainly prefer to play in their own grounds.

Now that schools rugby is ending, the pitch should get a rest.

McNamee put in some lovely deliveries, but didn't do much from open play, like the rest of your players really. I thought we dealt well with you on both wings, and harassed you very well in the middle of the pitch. And because we kept our attacking players up the pitch, it never became a siege either. We looked just as likely to score, in my opinion.

The second goal at 55s was top drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The second goal at 55s was top drawer.

Looked better at the time, cracking touch, turn and hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Good result last night, that's a point you weren't expecting and apart from the two hammerings away from home on astro the team are unbeaten on grass.

Listening to Tommy Barrett this morning on the radio and injuries are starting to pile up with such a small squad. Morrissey and Kearns picked up injuries last night to add to Mark O'Sullivan whose out for a few weeks, Wearen who got injured away to Derry and Barry Maguire who got injured on his debut because of the pitch at the market's field.

Gonna be a tough game against Rovers on Monday night, both defeats this season have also came during mid week games and can't see Tommy risking the lads who picked up knocks last night and give them a rest for Friday's game away to Pats.
    shock horror kerans is injured.. thank god we got rid of that sick note

Seanie and Richie both scored today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement