Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Great to see another big crowd.

Part of me wants a 3 way title race because the attendances for all our home (and away) games will be massive, be a great boost for the league.
    I can see us and cork stretching away from everyone but you would never know in this league, Bray played 4 away games drew with us 0-0 in one and got battered in 3

It won't involve Shams anyway. They're not a patch on Dundalk and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Funny I think it will be 5 for good while, with Waterford, Derry, Dundalk, City and Rovers staying close together. The July window might be crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll turn into a 2 horser again I fear.

But hope I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Big wins over Derry and a disinterested Pats are important and good to get off to a good home start.

Now Rovers have to start winning away, losing tomorrow and then Waterford away next would cancel out the gain and recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

dfx- wrote: »
    Big wins over Derry and a disinterested Pats are important and good to get off to a good home start.

Now Rovers have to start winning away, losing tomorrow and then Waterford away next would cancel out the gain and recovery.

Don't think Rovers have much to worry about tomorrow unless they play worse than Cork did. While Limerick played good on Friday it was helped with how poor Cork were.

Small squad and two games in four days don't mix well, so with the couple of knocks picked up Friday night and some may be rested with an eye towards Pats on Friday it should be a young team named tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

@SoccRepublic: Bray's Premier Division clash with Waterford has been postponed after the Carlisle Grounds failed to pass an early morning pitch inspection #RTEsoccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Pats v Sligo Rovers is off due to snow.

Listened to RTE this morning, all about the GAA matches called off yesterday and today, then about replays causing GAA HQ problems, then about the Irish rugby homecoming, then about Rory winning the Arnold Palmer, nothing about tonight’s LOI matches, Nada, Zilch not even a mention.

That’s how low we rate with the media and RTE sports dept. in particular. If the Ireland team were TRAINING this evening RTE would have on their news.

Dundalk organizing a friendly with Portadown tonight. Plastic is the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

joeysoap wrote: »
    Listened to RTE this morning, all about the GAA matches called off yesterday and today, then about replays causing GAA HQ problems, then about the Irish rugby homecoming, then about Rory winning the Arnold Palmer, nothing about tonight’s LOI matches, Nada, Zilch not even a mention.

That’s how low we rate with the media and RTE sports dept. in particular. If the Ireland team were TRAINING this evening RTE would have on their news.

Dundalk organizing a friendly with Portadown tonight. Plastic is the future :)

That's bad, but imagine how low we feel in the First Division!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Patww79 wrote: »
    This is nonsense about Nugent anyway as while he commentates on rugby he also has overseen a huge decrease in coverage of rugby while in charge. and silver spooner :rolleyes:

They did mention tonight’s matches in later bulletins, emphasing the postponed matches. Which is fair enough, who wants to travel to a postponed match?

That's bad, but imagine how low we feel in the First Division!

I agree Ben, we spent 7 years in that division (including 1 longer than we should.......not blaming Galway, we’ll leave that with the FAI :p) and I think it’s seldom mentioned when they are announcing fixtures.

This is nonsense about Nugent anyway as while he commentates on rugby he also has overseen a huge decrease in coverage of rugby while in charge. and silver spooner :rolleyes:

Because they've been outbid.

Nugent was atrocious. Real D4 rugger fan, so even when RTE couldn't pay for all the men's international s they foisted Mickey Mouse stuff on us. I mean, ffs, they even showed ladies rugby and pretended there was a national interest in it. Oh and they showed underage internationals.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    They always shown under 20 internationals. IRFU got them to tie in those games with the November internationals deal. And thats pretty much all they show these days.
    Because they've been outbid.

Nugent was atrocious. Real D4 rugger fan, so even when RTE couldn't pay for all the men's international s they foisted Mickey Mouse stuff on us. I mean, ffs, they even showed ladies rugby and pretended there was a national interest in it. Oh and they showed underage internationals.
    You say mickey mouse. Thats just ignorant. They showed ladies games after they were successful a few years and they showed under 20s as there's been clear interest in the games.

You say mickey mouse. Thats just ignorant. They showed ladies games after they were successful a few years and they showed under 20s as there's been clear interest in the games.

I say Mickey Mouse because in terms of national interest, women's rugby is Mickey Mouse stuff. Is there a national league? What are the attendance figures? Oh and by the way "beat New Zealand women's team, once" is not really "successful". There are many sports that have far more interest, but obviously Ryle only knew one. What's the "clear interest" in under 20 games that you refer to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'm all for showing underage and women's matches on tv. It's important not to rigidly stick to senior men's matches, regardless of the sport. But only when the situation warrants. A few weeks ago, RTÉ showed a live rugby U20 match at Donnybrook. I haven't been able to find an official attendance for it (looks like the IRFU don't bother recording crowds at underage matches), but from clips, it can't have been much more than a thousand. On the same night, the double champions were playing their first home game of the season in front of 6,500. You tell me which was the more deserving to be shown by the national broadcaster.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, RTÉ showed a live rugby U20 match at Donnybrook. I haven't been able to find an official attendance for it (looks like the IRFU don't bother recording crowds at underage matches), but from clips, it can't have been much more than a thousand. On the same night, the double champions were playing their first home game of the season in front of 6,500. You tell me which was the more deserving to be shown by the national broadcaster.

That was a complete and utter farce. You could only laugh really.

I say Mickey Mouse because in terms of national interest, women's rugby is Mickey Mouse stuff. Is there a national league? What are the attendance figures? Oh and by the way "beat New Zealand women's team, once" is not really "successful". There are many sports that have far more interest, but obviously Ryle only knew one. What's the "clear interest" in under 20 games that you refer to?
    Yes there is a national league. Of 8 teams. Then they go to provincial leagues.
    Calling it mickey mouse is just highly ignorant. Dont know attendance figures because theyre not kept or at least not published.

• Advertisement

Yes there is a national league. Of 8 teams. Then they go to provincial leagues.
    Calling it mickey mouse is just highly ignorant. Dont know attendance figures because theyre not kept or at least not published.

We'll agree to differ so. You are entitled to think showing women's rugby is not Mickey Mouse stuff. I am entitled to think it is.

But you avoided my question so I'll ask it again. You referred to a clear interest in under 20 rugby. Another poster has said an international didn't have many more than a thousand. Which suggests anything but a clear interest. What is the clear interest to which you refer?

We'll agree to differ so. You are entitled to think showing women's rugby is not Mickey Mouse stuff. I am entitled to think it is.

But you avoided my question so I'll ask it again. You referred to a clear interest in under 20 rugby. Another poster has said an international didn't have many more than a thousand. Which suggests anything but a clear interest. What is the clear interest to which you refer?
    But dismissing it as Mickey mouse is just completely ignorant.
    There is a lot of interest in 20s. Some games in Donnybrook havent had best attendances this year but they did in Athlone and in other years in Donnybrook.

But dismissing it as Mickey mouse is just completely ignorant.
    There is a lot of interest in 20s. Some games in Donnybrook havent had best attendances this year but they did in Athlone and in other years in Donnybrook.

Why is it ignorant?

You have a huge interest in rugby, over 8,000 of your 9,700 posts are in the rugby forum.

But seriously, 1,000 at an international is the epitome of zero interest and Mickey Mouse stuff.

You keep insisting there is a lot of interest. What were the attendances like in previous years in Donnybrook? Ball park or guesstimate will do.

Why is it ignorant?

You have a huge interest in rugby, over 8,000 of your 9,700 posts are in the rugby forum.

But seriously, 1,000 at an international is the epitome of zero interest and Mickey Mouse stuff.

You keep insisting there is a lot of interest. What were the attendances like in previous years in Donnybrook? Ball park or guesstimate will do.
    Calling it mickey mouse is ignorant. Incredibly dismissive of it. If i said the same about womens soccer team would you agree?
    Attendances for some games in Athlone and elsewhere in previous years have been 3000-4000.

If RTE insisted on ramming women's soccer down our throat as they have done with women's rugby, and insisted there was a national interest in it when there really is little, I'd call that a joke too. But it would have some redeeming characteristics that rugby doesn't have, women's soccer is the biggest women's sport in the world for starters. Anyway, it would never happen while RTE is staffed by D4 rugger heads like Ryle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nugent is a pure rugger head, things might improve without the likes of him.

City enjoyed a nice 3-0 win today over Bohs. We were never really in any trouble, bloody cold though.

Great crowd given how cold it was, 4260.

If RTE insisted on ramming women's soccer down our throat as they have done with women's rugby, and insisted there was a national interest in it when there really is little, I'd call that a joke too. But it would have some redeeming characteristics that rugby doesn't have, women's soccer is the biggest women's sport in the world for starters. Anyway, it would never happen while RTE is staffed by D4 rugger heads like Ryle.
    So rugby doesnt have redeeming characteristics then? :rolleyes:
    And if RTE was staffed as such then why have they lost virtually all their rugby coverage then?
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Nugent is a pure rugger head, things might improve without the likes of him.
    City enjoyed a nice 3-0 win today over Bohs. We were never really in any trouble, bloody cold though.
    Great crowd given how cold it was, 4260.
    And if he was such a rugby supporter then why wouldnt he have ensured rte had much more rugby than it has??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So rugby doesnt have redeeming characteristics then? :rolleyes:
    And if RTE was staffed as such then why have they lost virtually all their rugby coverage then?

And if he was such a rugby supporter then why wouldnt he have ensured rte had much more rugby than it has??

RTE have lost a lot of top sports games to their competitors. They could show more loi soccer but show women's rugby for example instead. I've nothing against the women or the u20 rugby etc
    They are showing the 'cheap' rugby that their competitors didn't want.
    Call a spade a spade fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Cant warm to this Nugent and rugby sh1te.

Personally think its more a case of the IFU lobbying and doing better deals with RTE based on the success of the national team over a number of years and having facilities etc. in place.

The FAI/JD are not exactly interested in the LOI and it shows at more levels than trying to get a TV deal over the line. If the FAI wanted to they could do a deal to have all games shown live online....let fans pay €10 per month if they do not have an Irish IP and at the same time not effecting the clubs income at the gate. Added income and exposure for the clubs abroad........ Many other examples one could list but the FAI only look at the bigger short term deals or why have they played the likes of Oman so often in friendlies.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wouldn’t all the Games been online/stream/tv kill clubs attendances? After spending the entire morning out in the cold this morning at my own match, if my local was showing the city Game I can 99.9% say I would have stayed in it rather then give city €15 quid and freeze to death for the second time

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t all the Games been online/stream/tv kill clubs attendances? After spending the entire morning out in the cold this morning at my own match, if my local was showing the city Game I can 99.9% say I would have stayed in it rather then give city €15 quid and freeze to death for the second time

My point was to offer it to fans abroad (hence the non Irish IP, bit like Celtic do for their games, every game live online once your are not in the UK) for a fixed monthly price. Also the money generated should filter back to the clubs....

My point is very simple.....why should RTE show LOI when the FAI are not willing to pump money in and make it attractive....
    There they are better servered with rugby.....they have the IFU doing things and making the sport attractive.

...ehy have they lost virtually all their rugby coverage then?

Um, because others paid more. That's how sports coverage works.

Let's face it, they show womens rugby, they show teenagers rugby...I presume even Nugent couldn't keep a straight face and pretend there was a national interest in u10 girls rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My point was to offer it to fans abroad (hence the non Irish IP, bit like Celtic do for their games, every game live online once your are not in the UK) for a fixed monthly price. Also the money generated should filter back to the clubs....

My point is very simple.....why should RTE show LOI when the FAI are not willing to pump money in and make it attractive....
    There they are better servered with rugby.....they have the IFU doing things and making the sport attractive.
    You really think things like IP addresses stop people in 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Works fine for GAA Go

To a certain extent yes...my old man wouldnt have a clue. Doesnt matter really once the clubs get the income and it doesnt land in JDs pocket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Four wins in five now for Rovers. First away win and first red card..

A penalty in Cork and a mad ten minutes in Dalymount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mostly Rovers tonight, but they didn't actually create many real chances. Similar to Cork, we pressed high up the pitch and, again, it worked fairly well. The atrocious pitch limited them as well, although they played some nice passing football at times.

Then a moment of madness from Sean Kelly to give away a penalty.

After that, and especially after the red card, they sat back to see the game out, and while we put balls into the box and huffed and puffed, we never really tested their keeper much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

3rd game in a row Cork got a peno....cue Saint Stephen to have a meltdown over the penos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What's the story with the lights in the Brandywell? Looked very bright below the camera but in the corners and on the far side looked pretty dark.

fullstop wrote: »
    What's the story with the lights in the Brandywell? Looked very bright below the camera but in the corners and on the far side looked pretty dark.

This is definitely an issue when you're in the ground too. We were chatting about it the other night.

I think the issue is the new Mark Farren stand. The lights on it are very bright and are on full tilt. They are brighter than the pitch and take away from it.

I think they need to be lowered a bit, or have half of them turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bohs unlucky to be 2-0 down at half time today. Madness from Cornwall to hand ball it, not sure what he was thinking. Bohs never threatened much really but had nice play in middle of the park at times. We are still figuring things out lineup wise and going through the motions but good to pick up the wins while doing so.

Fair play to the Bohs fans who came down for that today, it was absolutely arctic there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fair play to Caulfield. Just getting on with his job and never ever EVER moaning about anything.

“We’ve had an incredible change in players in the past 2-3 years. People imagine that only one team has had changes. Over the past week, 3 of the back 4 (McCarthy, McLoughlin, Barry) are new players. We don’t make excuses, we just get on with it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pighead wrote: »
    Fair play to Caulfield. Just getting on with his job and never ever EVER moaning about anything.

“We’ve had an incredible change in players in the past 2-3 years. People imagine that only one team has had changes. Over the past week, 3 of the back 4 (McCarthy, McLoughlin, Barry) are new players. We don’t make excuses, we just get on with it.”

This is the point where a City fan responds and then gets blamed for the 'City Dundalk ****e' on here.

Anyway, a Dundalk fan going out of his way to say that OTHER managers moan about things is quite surreal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

He isn't and we are sitting pretty up top.

All we hear coming out of Dundalk lately is bluster about head colds and crisp packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Corholio wrote: »
    This is the point where a City fan responds and then gets blamed for the 'City Dundalk ****e' on here.

Anyway, a Dundalk fan going out of his way to say that OTHER managers moan about things is quite surreal really.
    bot43 wrote: »
    He isn't and we are sitting pretty up top.

All we hear coming out of Dundalk lately is bluster about head colds and crisp packets.
    Caulfield's touchline antics are getting beyond ridiculous. He moans about every single decision and throws his toys out of the pram whenever a referee gives anything against his team. He's been sent to the stands in Oriel already and I don't know how he avoided it the last night. Needs to cool his jets a tad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Caulfield's touchline antics are getting beyond ridiculous. He moans about every single decision and throws his toys out of the pram whenever a referee gives anything against his team. He's been sent to the stands in Oriel already and I don't know how he avoided it the last night. Needs to cool his jets a tad.

He's been like that ever since he started management, even with Avondale/UCC in the Munster Senior League which must be going on 15 years now, doubt he's changing. If he was opposition Id despise it, but because he's City I love it, that football my friend. Im sure you love King Kenny.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When it comes to watching opposition managers in a fury, Caulfield is right up there in terms of entertainment. I was close to him during Limerick 2-1 win last season, and he really was incredibly animated.

He was really animated the other night too, and even with his own players, as they weren't delivering for him.

But for Cork fans, it's a sign of his passion and drive for success I'm sure, and he is delivering that for them now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement