Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Dodge wrote: »
    I know, I know. But it's true. Pats wouldn't have advertised an away game so if you're caught up in the Euros and you haven't been to a game in 3 weeks it was easy to lose track of it.

I'm sure this applies to every club too. Not lads who post on forums like this who are consumed by all things related to their team but we're not representative of most LOI clubs fan bases
    This happened to my auld lad a few weeks back when Shels were away to Cabinteely. Knew the game was on alright, decided he'd go on the day but went to check kick off time on aertel only to see Shels were already 3 up. Think the game started at 2 or 3 on a Saturday which is an unusual time in this league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This. Nor is the CEO.

Plus I don't think it's been pointed out that on top of the other provisions, RW shares will also gradually dilute again (as they have done since 2005) as the members club continues to invest (a sizable amount of) money into the club.

I think people are overestimating the extent that a wealthy businessman would view a League Of Ireland club (with no physical assets like a ground/training ground) as something they're desperate to get their hands on. There's easier ways to make money.

Plus, let's be honest , if a similar deal was extended to a tinpot, endangered outfit like Shels or indeed most LOI clubs, they'd bite his fcuking hand off.

I think people are overestimating gossip - they hear one thing off one person and another off someone else and soon enough, it becomes a hostile takeover from West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just heard a whisper that west ham are interested in buying shams. Rumoured to be willing to do a hostile takeover if required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think some teams might change there game to a Saturday that week.

Its been a terrible season for attendances. Even Dundalk with all the success are down nearly 1000 for there home attendances.
    Friday September 16th - There's a full LOI fixture list.

Liverpool v Chelsea has also been confirmed as being live on Sky that night...

I'd like to be optimistic and say it won't affect the attendances but it's another nail in the coffin imo..:(

I would see these things as opportunities. The leagues attendances are dropping anyway, now obviously big EPL games on Friday are not going to help but it's another nail in a well nailed coffin.
    I'd be afraid people just use this as an excuse to give up on the league.
    When they should really do the opposite.
    There needs to be an acceptance that we've hit rock bottom or about as close to it as we want to get and start putting in place initiatives to improve things.
    Blaming the EPL, GAA, Rugby or the Play station generation should be shown up for what it is. A cop out.

If you actually run down through the leagues problems a lot of them are self inflicted.

The league is poorly, run both by clubs and administrators.
    There doesn't seem to be any drive to make it more attractive to sponsors or TV companies.
    There are no minimum standards which clubs have to live up to in terms of administration & future planning.
    Plus a lot more issues.
    All of which existed before Friday night EPL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

There are no minimum standards which clubs have to live up to in terms of administration & future planning.

While I fully agree with you, If the league was based on strict minimum standards as supposedly laid out by the Licensing committee we'd have a league with about 6 clubs

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think some teams might change there game to a Saturday that week.

Its been a terrible season for attendances. Even Dundalk with all the success are down nearly 1000 for there home attendances.

Attendances are well down, not making excuses , the standard of football is poor, most of the teams Dundalk have played in Oriel have few travelling fans - 9 matches in and I would guess less than 250 away fans in total. As Dodge posts the buzz of a wining has worn off (new fans). There is also no local derby this year. I agree home support should be better though but Dundalk now have over 1,000 season ticket holders and they might not all attend all the matches. Wexford and Longford gave it a right good lash and both will feel they could have taken a point, both matches were crackers.

Well done to Pats and City in Europe. Just when I thought Dundalk might have gotten a decent draw.......FH are leading the Icelandic league, KR are 10th - two points above relegation and this happens......Glenavon 0 - 6 KR. (8 - 1 overall)

Sh#t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dundalk's away league form is absolutely insane this year. Played 9, won 8, 29 goals scored and 3 conceded :eek:

The next closest in away goals is Rovers and Galway on 11.... A whole 18 goals difference. 6 teams in the league haven't scored 18 goals total so far....

Incredible statistics.

uch wrote: »
    While I fully agree with you, If the league was based on strict minimum standards as supposedly laid out by the Licensing committee we'd have a league with about 6 clubs

So be it. We must set a bar or nothing will change.
    We start with 6 solid clubs, we build to 8, add more when we can.
    We're going nowhere as it is,only stumbling to the next disaster.

I actually don't think we'd have so few clubs as 6 I'm being facetious.
    If you set a bar you'll be surprised how clubs meet it when they have no other option.

I also think it would help clubs. Look at Harps and their new stadium. Theres all kinds of issues holding it up.
    It could be a benefit to them to be able to say to the authorities "look we won't be allowed play in the PD if this thing isn't moved along quickly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Friday September 16th - There's a full LOI fixture list.

Liverpool v Chelsea has also been confirmed as being live on Sky that night...

I'd like to be optimistic and say it won't affect the attendances but it's another nail in the coffin imo..:(
    In fairness its not the Fai's fault, it's not like they sanctioned...http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/the-fai-are-under-attack-for-the-scheduling-of-celtic-vs-inter-milan-at-thomond-park/81073

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Eir Sports showing 2 more games;

July 15 Shams v Bohs
    July 22 Bohs v Derry

ko 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Athlone were 16/1 earlier today.

Shels are losing 1-0 in Athlone.

Well dodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well dodge.

I was too late so I had to watch it on a stream hooked up to the telly at home with the family. Not a good feeling to have to have a conversation with people about whether your team is intentionally trying to lose or your team is just so bad that everything they do looks as though they're trying to get it wrong.

Neither is a nice thing to have to explain to anyone about your football team. This is one of those times where you'd be like 'ah I'll just stick with the English football' and then I remember that that's Aston Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@BC

Not saying it's impossible that the Shelbourne players were trying to make a few bob on the side, but how many people, as well as the players, would need to be in on it for it to work? Manager, physio, the subs?

Also it's not as if the game was a dead rubber, Shels were only five points off the promotion spots going into the game yesterday.

Maybe they were just very, very bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well dodge.

Nothing to do with me mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dodge wrote: »
    Nothing to do with me mate

I went back in the thread last night to look to see if you had posted something and that is what he was replying to.

I'm a bit slow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

An embarrassing defeat last night in Athlone. Lot of players didn't seem to care....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs should have won about 6-0 last night. Terrible finishing, particularly from Akinade.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

poor enough game in Finn Park, 2 well organised sides basically cancelled each other out and no one could deliver that final ball. struggling to think of another shot from inside the box outside of Houstons goal, most were long range efforts and the keepers had little to do - although Galway did hit the bar shortly after our goal.
    10pts from 4, maximum from the last 3... late surge for Europe! :pac:

• Advertisement

Harps are nearly safe already...joint fifth

Dont let Ollie hear you saying that!!
    tbh there is points to be had in the rest of this round of games too, Bray(A), Wexford (H) & Bohs(A) all below us. Cork visit Finn Park too. Of the teams we have played twice, only Dundalk & Pats have taken maximum... and that was where Ollie learned rotating your squad is a good idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bohs should have won about 6-0 last night. Terrible finishing, particularly from Akinade.

Delighted he didn't, another clean sheet to keep some points ticking over is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cork City sign Matthew Conor a 19 year old keeper. Anyone any info on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MrMac84 wrote: »

Used to play for us, and before that Waterford. Has potential, very very tall, but not ready for first team premier division action yet really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Zebra3 wrote: »
    An embarrassing defeat last night in Athlone. Lot of players didn't seem to care....
    Yup, I still can't shake that feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

MrMac84 wrote: »

Very confident. Right build for a keeper. Commands his area well. Some great stops followed by some you would think he should be comfortable with, but got past him

Played our cup games and was assured of the No.1 shirt next year when Graham Doyle retires, obviously Cork is a big opportunity, good luck to gim

4 teams now on 23pts and Bohs on 22. Thought it was tight in mid table a few weeks ago!!

Pats are very poor. They have looked stale for quite a while now.

Buckley will be replaced soon you'd think.

Just back from the Sligo match.
    Great 3 points for us.
    Pats were poor though. Never looked like scoring and if we could have put away a few good chances there could have been a better gloss on the scoreboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

If we could find a finisher we'd be destroying opposition sides in games like that.

As for Pats, they really are drifting quite a bit this season. Barring a cup win it's hard to see a way back into Europe for them next year. What kind of consequences would that bring?

If we could find a finisher we'd be destroying opposition sides in games like that.

As for Pats, they really are drifting quite a bit this season. Barring a cup win it's hard to see a way back into Europe for them next year. What kind of consequences would that bring?

In the short term Buckleys days are numbered.

Pats have been teetering on the edge for a while now. Kelleher isn't putting in anything close to the money he had been.
    Even with the success they have had in recent years the crowds are really poor. Always around the 1200 mark. Without European money it's a house of cards that's about to fall.
    A Bohs or even Shels type fall is a real possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It's amazing how docile Pats fans have been while watching Buckley oversee Pats journey from champions to laughing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's amazing how docile Pats fans have been while watching Buckley oversee Pats journey from champions to laughing stock.

maybe they are just accepting that they can't actually afford to be challenging, and that bucko is doing the best job he can with the resources available.

something fans of a few other clubs could do with looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That's what happens when a man brings you a league title and the first FAI Cup in 5 decades within the last 3/4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

maybe they are just accepting that they can't actually afford to be challenging, and that bucko is doing the best job he can with the resources available.

something fans of a few other clubs could do with looking at.

Oh look. A shells fan pontificating about how to run a club.

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh look. A shells fan pontificating about how to run a club.

He didn't say anything about running a club, he made a point about the fans' expectations.

A fair point that Pat's are at their level with regard to their budget after what could be perceived as overachieving in the recent past.

Do league of Ireland clubs actually publish budgets or is it just guesswork ? This i came up when I googled but how accurate it is I don't know. I was under the impression that Pats had the biggest budget for 2014 (they were the reigning champs) and that Dundalk's budget was 4th highest, but not according to this.

http://leagueireland.blogspot.ie/2015/02/league-of-ireland-budgets-2014-estimate.html

Note; the figures are in dollars as the poster is from Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Budget's of $400k or €400k are wrong.

Is this a fantasy football game?

That's what I'm asking, where do you find the actual budgets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

The cro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The clubs are limited companies. Unless some club is being ultra transparent I don't see why their budgets would be available for everyone to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Played our cup games and was assured of the No.1 shirt next year when Graham Doyle retires, obviously Cork is a big opportunity, good luck to gim
    Is that 100% that Doyle is retiring after this season? If so, it's a massive blow for Wexford.

The cro

A club's budget and actual income/expenditure are different things.

Figures in that link above are nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Is that 100% that Doyle is retiring after this season? If so, it's a massive blow for Wexford.

He's 38 and had to be persuaded to stay on last season. When his performances played a huge part in us winning the title, he earned his shot at the top league. Matt Connor was given the cup games this year with the promise of the No.1 shirt next year. The lure of Cork City proved too much, which is understandable

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A club's budget and actual income/expenditure are different things.

Figures in that link above are nonsense.

Surely a clubs income/expenditure are good indications of the health of a club.
    A useful thing to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Any solid rumours about the Rover's job or is it just if you throw enough names at it, one of them will stick?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Anyone else think Joanne Cantwell is a great host on Soccer Republic? Much better than Peter Collins I think.

Any solid rumours about the Rover's job or is it just if you throw enough names at it, one of them will stick?

I think Bradley will be given a chance, probably until the end of the season unless form drops dramatically. Europe is a must, fourth is not enough and if it's similar to the fractured end of the 2012/Glass/Laws season, that could be under threat.

It was an encouraging performance against RoPS in the 2nd leg in the circumstances, certainly should've won the tie. An insipid defeat to Bohs would put him under huge pressure immediately though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oat23 wrote:
    Anyone else think Joanne Cantwell is a great host on Soccer Republic? Much better than Peter Collins I think.

Not taking anything from Joanne as I also think she's a great presenter, but a sick pigeon could do a better job of it than Peter Collins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement