Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A) Leave
    B) Bray win by a nose from Athlone

There’s no way that Bray gates are paying their way. (even at this stage)

I think Athlone will survive by virtue of their outgoings being closer to their income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Question:

What will happen first in your opinion: a team will leave or a team will join the League of Ireland and which team?

Leave definitely. I would say Athlone first followed by Bray. I would think that both teams will leave before a new club joins. Really can't see many clubs lining up to play in the first division unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I really hope Athlone and Bray can pull it together and both stay, especially Athlone with their history and location, but sadly I can see both not lasting the season.

As for the join, I'd be interested to see what would happen to the structure if say all the teams that have underage national league teams joined the senior league. Would we seen same structure with either one or both league(s) expanded, or would we see the second tier regionalised? My vote would be for option two initially anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I really hope Athlone and Bray can pull it together and both stay, especially Athlone with their history and location, but sadly I can see both not lasting the season.

As for the join, I'd be interested to see what would happen to the structure if say all the teams that have underage national league teams joined the senior league. Would we seen same structure with either one or both league(s) expanded, or would we see the second tier regionalised? My vote would be for option two initially anyway.

Four regional leagues with the top two in each going into some form of playoffs or an end of season league ending in promotion for two. Anything to revitalize things is welcome. I'd strongly suspect both Athlone and Bray will have an asterisk by seasons end, if they get that far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Susp sentence with two others.

With the judge giving out about how long it took to get to court and saying she would have jailed them if it had of been before the courts sooner (no idea what difference that makes)

Four regional leagues with the top two in each going into some form of playoffs or an end of season league ending in promotion for two. Anything to revitalize things is welcome. I'd strongly suspect both Athlone and Bray will have an asterisk by seasons end, if they get that far.

You need promotion and relegation for UEFA i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Trevor Clarke said to have a bad Knee injury. Out for the season.

Poor from Rovers physio allowing him to play on. May have done further damage when he went in for another tackle before going off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D14Rugby wrote: »
    You need promotion and relegation for UEFA i think

I meant that for first division level.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Trevor Clarke said to have a bad Knee injury. Out for the season.

Poor from Rovers physio allowing him to play on. May have done further damage when he went in for another tackle before going off.

That is a massive blow to Rovers and the league.. One of, if not the best young talents in the league.

• Advertisement

That is a massive blow to Rovers and the league.. One of, if not the best young talents in the league.

Very bad news. Such a great player to watch very brave as well. Hopefully it isn't an ACL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Very good player and by all accounts a nice lad, wish him the best. Always thought he might have gone to pastures new over the Summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That is a massive blow to Rovers and the league..
    Massive blow to Rovers, no impact at all on the league though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

osarusan wrote: »
    no impact at all on the league though.

Other than making an already iffy defence weaker for the opposition to exploit.

Huge loss to Rovers, as he is a solid defender with plenty of pace and an attacking threat also. None of the potential replacements offer what he brings to the team.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

put aside anti-rovers bias and wish the lad well.....go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Massive blow to Rovers, no impact at all on the league though.

There is when you want to see the best players playing, he is a far better player than Luke Shaw......sorry Byrne

AGC wrote: »
    There is when you want to see the best players playing, he is a far better player than Luke Shaw......sorry Byrne

I wouldn't wish an injury* on anybody, but I can honestly say I don't want to see Rovers' best players playing when they play against us.

I am sure Rovers feel the same when they come up against opposition with a brilliant player too.

Anyway that's beside the point - I think it's an overstatement to say his injury is a massive blow to the league. If i think of things that are a massive blow to the league, I'm thinking of teams going bankrupt, betting scandals, and the like - stuff the discredits the league in the eyes of the non-follower or casual fan.

*but even that has its limits I suppose, if I heard an opposition star player had picked up a 24-hour bug, or a dead leg, that kept him out of a match with us, I'd probably be relieved.

One of the better players in the LOI.

If the seriousness of the injury was noticed at the time the manager/physio should have replaced him ASAP.

I wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery and is back sooner than expected (Stephen O’Donnell was told he might never play again in 2014).

I wouldn't wish an injury* on anybody, but I can honestly say I don't want to see Rovers' best players playing when they play against us.

I am sure Rovers feel the same when they come up against opposition with a brilliant player too.

Anyway that's beside the point - I think it's an overstatement to say his injury is a massive blow to the league. If i think of things that are a massive blow to the league, I'm thinking of teams going bankrupt, betting scandals, and the like - stuff the discredits the league in the eyes of the non-follower or casual fan.

*but even that has its limits I suppose, if I heard an opposition star player had picked up a 24-hour bug, or a dead leg, that kept him out of a match with us, I'd probably be relieved.

Fair enough but as a supporter of the league and irish football in general I think it's a blow. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play international football at some stage. Hopefully he recovers and comes back as good as he has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Trevor Clarke is one of my favourite footballers in the LOI.
    Very skillful and committed player.
    Would have loved to see him at Dundalk.
    Hope he fully recovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Very surprised if he had made it past the Summer transfer window but unfortunately this leaves us without him for the next 3 months.

I can still see in England once recovery goes well.

You learn something all the time. Dundalk’s 7 clean sheets equal the record for the start of a season. Even better it was Drogheda ‘s record until now. But they had a match expunged so officially Dundalk now hold the record for clean sheets at the start of a season. But it’s not a Dundalk record, that stands at 8 for a middle of the season run in 1990/91.

* what’s the chances of one of the 7 being expunged too ? :eek:

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-argus/20180327/282389810029166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

How are we not level? Shocking decision for the disallowed goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

kksaints wrote: »
    How are we not level? Shocking decision for the disallowed goal.

Woeful decision. Really bad refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Decision was even worse than this free kick by the Shams keeper.

ActualAppropriateAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

That Kenny Browne lad for Waterford, body of an Adonis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Cork .................3 goals in 3 minutes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cork .................3 goals in 3 minutes!!

Kieran Sadlier got 2 in a minute :eek:

one from over 30 yards out! Did they just pass it to him from kick off and tell him to have a go!

• Advertisement

Great last 15 minutes in Derry! What a block at the end!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

FFS! How did we not got a draw out of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kksaints wrote: »
    FFS! How did we not got a draw out of that?

Absolutely gutted that we've come away with nothing from that match. As for the disallowed goal!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

He can have whatever kind of body he likes, easily one of the best centre halves in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

monkey9 wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted that we've come away with nothing from that match. As for the disallowed goal!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Obviously I loved the last second goal line clearance, but you deserved a point at least from that game.

We got VERY lucky tonight.

Waterford dismissed us with the contempt we deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Excellent first half from Dundalk but eased off in the second half (probably with next week's game against Rovers in mind) which allowed Bohs put a bit of pressure on us for ten or fifteen minutes. Could have been a very nervy finish for us if the ref hadn't missed what looked to me like a stonewall penalty. Massey clearly fouled the Bohs sub but I'm guessing because he didn't fall to the ground the ref waved play on. Shocking decision.

Rogers injury looked pretty bad so looks like we'll have to rely on Sava for a few weeks which isn't ideal. Adorjan had a decent game for us and Shields was excellent once again. Eight games played, zero conceded and just a point behind Cork. Beat Rovers next week and it's been an excellent first round of fixtures for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

The Derry Pats game was great on tv, good exciting football with lots of chances. That's two weeks in a row that RTÉ covered good matches.

Waterford mucb better than Limerick in the 2nd half. Limerick missed there chances in the 1st.

Will Fitzgerald a very good young player for Limerick. Done a wonderful piece of skill in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

NIMAN wrote: »
    Obviously I loved the last second goal line clearance, but you deserved a point at least from that game.

We got VERY lucky tonight.

I was already jumping around the room. Ugh

I thought you's paid us way too much respect the way you's sat off. But really disappointed to get zero from that match, we bossed it for large parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wouldn't mind a defence full of Kenny Brownes instead of that donkey Whitehead , even better Waterford can keep Browne and send up a couple of the behind the scene lads who are helping Power to run the club and advising him.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Waterford mucb better than Limerick in the 2nd half. Limerick missed there chances in the 1st.

Will Fitzgerald a very good young player for Limerick. Done a wonderful piece of skill in the 2nd half.

Young Willie Fitz is something else, will be the biggest positive to this season imo as there's not much else to cheer about. He puts that one on one away and could have maybe gotten something out of the game.

• Advertisement

8 clean sheets doesn’t tell the full story. Bray missed a golden chance, Waterford ditto and how the ref didn’t give Bohs a pen ..............

Having said that Dundalk defense were much changed tonight , Folan for Hoare and Sava in the sticks for over 80 mins. Huuuuban is a great front man but the magic was supplied by McGrath. Adorjan had a terrific first 45, Duffy is Duffy. Very strong bench. Sava did all that was asked tonight, especially in the last minute. *Monkey off our back, now we can get on with it.

* protecting the clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Pighead wrote: »
    Excellent first half from Dundalk but eased off in the second half (probably with next week's game against Rovers in mind) which allowed Bohs put a bit of pressure on us for ten or fifteen minutes. Could have been a very nervy finish for us if the ref hadn't missed what looked to me like a stonewall penalty. Massey clearly fouled the Bohs sub but I'm guessing because he didn't fall to the ground the ref waved play on. Shocking decision.

Rogers injury looked pretty bad so looks like we'll have to rely on Sava for a few weeks which isn't ideal. Adorjan had a decent game for us and Shields was excellent once again. Eight games played, zero conceded and just a point behind Cork. Beat Rovers next week and it's been an excellent first round of fixtures for Dundalk.

Yeah stonewall penalty to me. The kid was too honest for his own good and didn't go down. Had he fell you'd think the ref is giving that.

No complaints with Dundalk's penalty either. Stonewall. Casey clevered your man. But think we should have had one too.

Rovers were lucky to get 3 points last night, not a vintage performance from them and Sligo generally looked the better team, not many chances for either team but Sligo probably looked the more likely to grab a goal and it seemed as if they had done their homework on how to play against Rovers. The goal was scored when Sligo had a man down with a head injury, their manager didn't seem too happy that the game was not stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rovers were lucky to get 3 points last night, not a vintage performance from them and Sligo generally looked the better team, not many chances for either team but Sligo probably looked the more likely to grab a goal and it seemed as if they had done their homework on how to play against Rovers. The goal was scored when Sligo had a man down with a head injury, their manager didn't seem too happy that the game was not stopped.

Season ticket holder Neil Doyle wasn't going to stop the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oat23 wrote: »

I'm surprised he didn't overcompensate as usual by sending two Rovers players off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gibson released by Sunderland. Say he is finished in England now

Oat23 wrote: »

If Neil Doyle is a season ticket holder I'd hate to see how a non season ticket holder would ref rovers, he was awful for both teams last night. Just one instance that comes to mind is when a Sligo player blocked down a pass from Finn, two hands deliberately raised towards a 4 on 1 for Rovers and no card whatsoever, couldn't get a more blatant cynical handball not in the goal mouth

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gibson released by Sunderland. Say he is finished in England now

Doubt he'll be playing in Ireland though.

Boyle and Horgan not on. Seanie and Richie substituted. McEleney only as sub. Not sure but McMillan still might be injured. If we could just increase the rewards here ( Iceland?) the LOI would be a much better league for players and spectators.

Waterford have a few cracking players but by all accounts they will be recalled by Swindon come July (I’m sure Swindon will loan more out to Waterford at that stage though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

joeysoap wrote: »
    Boyle and Horgan not on. Seanie and Richie substituted. McEleney only as sub. Not sure but McMillan still might be injured. If we could just increase the rewards here ( Iceland?) the LOI would be a much better league for players and spectators.

Waterford have a few cracking players but by all accounts they will be recalled by Swindon come July (I’m sure Swindon will loan more out to Waterford at that stage though)

Only player on loan from Swindon is Vigeroux?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement