Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Waterford need to try keep Duffus until the end of the season.

That will be difficult if he keeps scoring.

Vigeroux is some GK as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doubt he'll be playing in Ireland though.

Well no hope he gets to China/America surely he has to return here? Or retire outright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Only player on loan from Swindon is Vigeroux?

My mistake , Duffus is on loan from Oldham

MD1990 wrote: »

Vigeroux is some GK as well.

Yes, he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

There are 6 fixtures incl League cup in April for each club. That’s a big strain on everyone.

bot43 wrote: »
    There are 6 fixtures incl League cup in April for each club. That’s a big strain on everyone.

Dundalk have 7 in April (6 in May), can see how it might affect some clubs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Yeah it's a bit silly too that the season ends in October and there's two games a week for much of the season. Hard to get to all the games as a fan and it's tough on the players. Especially with clubs qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League which runs well in to December I think it's time to end the league a month later.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Yeah it's a bit silly too that the season ends in October and there's two games a week for much of the season. Hard to get to all the games as a fan and it's tough on the players. Especially with clubs qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League which runs well in to December I think it's time to end the league a month later.

36 league matches is a lot. EPl has only 2 more and Jose ( + Pep) complain there are too many matches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Draw for the qualifying round of the FAI Cup
    All ties are scheduled to take place on the weekend ending Sunday, April 22nd.

Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup Qualifying Round Draw
    CIE Ranch v Letterkenny Rovers
    Inchicore Athletic v Crumlin United
    Maynooth University Town v Everton
    Dublin Bus v Firhouse Clover
    Avondale United v Pike Rovers
    Kilnamanagh v Skerries Town
    Leeds v St. Michael’s
    North End United v Cherry Orchard

Byes: Home Farm, Cockhill Celtic, Newmarket Celtic and Blarney United.

Out of curiosity, what’s the best showing from a ‘non-league’ club in the FAI Cup? I know Bluebell got to the Last 8 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Draw for the qualifying round of the FAI Cup - http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/irish-daily-mail-fai-cup-qualifying-draw-made

Out of curiosity, what’s the best showing from a ‘non-league’ club in the FAI Cup? I know Bluebell got to the Last 8 last year.

St Francis got to the final in 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

dan1895 wrote: »
    St Francis got to the final in 1990

Blast from the past them. Always cannon fodder in the first division in the 90s. Didn't they "merge" with St Pats or is it someone else I'm thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Blast from the past them. Always cannon fodder in the first division in the 90s. Didn't they "merge" with St Pats or is it someone else I'm thinking of?

They did indeed but it was a shortlived affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Alton United, from Belfast and who were playing in the Falls League, won the second FAI Cup in 1923. The previous season, Shamrock Rovers, who had not yet entered the League of Ireland, lost the first final in a replay to St James' Gate. From a quick glance through the other finals, it looks like these two sides and St Francis were the only non-LoI teams to make it to an FAI Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Alton United, from Belfast and who were playing in the Falls League, won the second FAI Cup in 1923. The previous season, Shamrock Rovers, who had not yet entered the League of Ireland, lost the first final in a replay to St James' Gate. From a quick glance through the other finals, it looks like these two sides and St Francis were the only non-LoI teams to make it to an FAI Cup Final.

Fordsons made the final as a MSL team in 1924 a team founded by Harry Buckle Dave Barry's grandfather I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Non-league Cobh Ramblers were beaten in the semi-final in 1983 against eventual winner Sligo Rovers. It took 3 replays.

Can anyone confirm the attendance stats here? I had heard that the crowds were big, but the figures here are huge.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/fai-honours-epic-cup-tie-between-rovers-and-cobh-27522399.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Non-league Cobh Ramblers were beaten in the semi-final in 1983 against eventual winner Sligo Rovers. It took 3 replays.

Can anyone confirm the attendance stats here? I had heard that the crowds were big, but the figures here are huge.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/fai-honours-epic-cup-tie-between-rovers-and-cobh-27522399.html

37,000 in Flower Lodge? Apparently not according to this article. The crowds sound far more realistic here.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/other-sports/rovers-cup-epic-with-cobh-retains-legendary-status-27559254.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Cape Clear wrote: »
    37,000 in Flower Lodge? Apparently not according to this article. The crowds sound far more realistic here.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/other-sports/rovers-cup-epic-with-cobh-retains-legendary-status-27559254.html

i was at the home games (sligo). 9 years old and my vivid memory is the huge crowds,

i can still see Chris Ruterford equalising into the goals I was behind, me penned against a fence and my late dad standing behind me trying to stop me getting squashed and me oblivious to it all just looking googly eyed at a game I loved

great memories

as for 30k at Cork, that seems far fetched but I remember large support travelling from sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Is the Qualifying round regionalised? or was that just pure coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Michael Duffy is a very underated player.

Would rate him as the the best winger in the league slightly ahead of Sadlier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

MD1990 wrote: »
    Michael Duffy is a very underated player.

Would rate him as the the best winger in the league slightly ahead of Sadlier.

Been exceptional 2nd half last season and our best player by far this season so far.

Can see him back across the water soon unfortunately (hopefully not in the summer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

Drums actually won their first FAI Cup in 1927 as a non-league team.

While Alton United were a junior club, Belfast Celtic had dropped out of the Irish League in the early 1920s and I've heard a number of their players lined out for Alton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Massive games tonight, can't wait for the Dundalk Rovers match on RTÉ. Think Waterford might surprise Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

2 centre backs can't handle Carr, and Sava is woeful

Didn't look offside either

Duffy is class to watch. Tight game, Dundalk hitting the woodwork twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Rovers slightly on top but Dundalk with the better chances. Anyone's game really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lovely seeing Shamrock Rovers fans trying to damage the pitch at Oriel once again with flares to highligh what they call a protest.
    Best Supporters in Ireland......

As for calling Oriel a Dumb (its far from glamorous).....maybe they should be thanking the people of Ireland for supplying the tax money that paid for their own stadium. Once they have done that....maybe they should ask themselves where their Euro cash landed and how effective it was... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Why Rovers didn't sign a keeper during the off season is an absolute mystery to me. Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can this season just end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice header, 2 up front now, chance for Rovers to get a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

C'mon Rovers!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shaw really should have buried that.

Dundalk as rattled as the bar Rovers just hit.

What a save from Sava.

Dundalk win just as City fall behind.

City getting a reality check. Caulfield would wanna cop on and play a proper midfield ffs. Keohane and Buckley are a waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lovely seeing Shamrock Rovers fans trying to damage the pitch at Oriel once again with flares to highligh what they call a protest.
    Best Supporters in Ireland......

What was the protest about?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What was the protest about?

Conditions for away fans and DFC supposedly having 6 million in the bank

justshane wrote: »
    The Derry Pats game was great on tv, good exciting football with lots of chances. That's two weeks in a row that RTÉ covered good matches.

I think this post applies again after that match! Hatrick by RTÉ!

Lads I think that was an inside job tonight......

Horgan like his brother wanted the name to be remembered in Dundalk.....

McCormack....one of many secret agents from Dundalk worshipped down there in Cork. Really supports his home town team and hasnt told them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In fairness Rovers were a bit unlucky not to get anything from that game.
    There is something missing in the Dundalk team that I just can't put my finger on at the moment. Our defence looked a bit ropey all through the match tonight.

Got feisty at the end of the city game, red a piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Patww79 wrote: »
    Sava made a couple of saves but he was woefully ropey most of the night.
    No he wasn't. Believe me I've seen him a few times when he was woefully ropey. Tonight he was solid. Came out quickly twice to deny Rovers goals when they got in behind us and was solid on crosses all evening. Couple of decent saves too as well as good distribution.

Enjoyable game. Not much in it first half but I thought we were great in the second up until they scored. Nervy finish but job done. Folan didn't inspire confidence tonight at the back. Looked very shakey. Hopefully Hoare is back for next game.

6 sent off in the Waterford Cork game including the two managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

6 sent off in RSC. Hery pushed Caulfield apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    6 sent off in the Waterford Cork game including the two managers

Who got sent off, only ones I heard were Hery, Buckley and Beattie.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement