Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

dan1895 wrote: »
    Then why did they bother having a playoff that year? I might be wrong but wasn't there a very serious injury to one of the players in that game?

Yeah Simon Kelly swallowed his tongue if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The EA SPORTS Cup Quarter Final draw :

Cobh Ramblers V Shamrock Rovers/Longford Town

Dundalk V Bohemians

Sligo Rovers V Waterford/Cork City

Derry City V Shelbourne/Drogheda United

Fixtures to be played on Monday 7th / Tuesday 8th of May 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ex Limerick youngsters Barry Cotter & Paudie O'Connor both starting tonight in the championship. But surprised at that.

Ogbene on the bench again for Brentford.

Maquire up against Paudie O'Connor tonight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Graham Kelly was named as caretaker manager of Bray today, strong talk this evening that Martin Russell will be named manager soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ex Limerick youngsters Barry Cotter & Paudie O'Connor both starting tonight in the championship. But surprised at that.

Going by Twitter both lads playing very well in the opening 45mins especially Cotter whose playing on the right of a midfield 4 in a 343 line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Maguire scores, again

Graham Kelly was named as caretaker manager of Bray today, strong talk this evening that Martin Russell will be named manager soon enough.

The referee?

joeysoap wrote: »
    The referee?

I wish but some lad whose been a coach with them for the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ogbene brought on in his game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

osarusan wrote: »
    Irish clubs getting nothing in the grand scheme of things for these players. The structures at Senior level desperatly need to improve but at least the underage leagues seem to be producing very good players. Lots doing well with Irish youth International sides also. Jamie Lennon of St Patricks , only 19 looks a huge talent. Plays the game extremely maturely for a teenager. Hopefully see Trevor Clarke back soon too. Few of Bohs u19 very talented also.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Irish clubs getting nothing in the grand scheme of things for these players.
    Limerick actually did get money and had contract clauses for both Cotter and Ogbene. O'Conor left for free last year.

Very few clubs in Ireland can afford multi-year contracts for many of their players (if any), and until that changes, we'll always be losing the best for a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

wadacrack wrote: »
    Irish clubs getting nothing in the grand scheme of things for these players. The structures at Senior level desperatly need to improve but at least the underage leagues seem to be producing very good players. Lots doing well with Irish youth International sides also. Jamie Lennon of St Patricks , only 19 looks a huge talent. Plays the game extremely maturely for a teenager. Hopefully see Trevor Clarke back soon too. Few of Bohs u19 very talented also.

Its in the sun but Neil is a good writer. Last few paragraphs explain quite well very quickly why fees are low despite the improved youth and senior setup
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1635267/shamrock-rovers-deserve-praise-for-helping-youngsters-combine-football-and-education/

FAI need to approach Ogbene & try get him to play for Ireland. Should be in the u21 squad.

He is a big talent. I think he said in the past he would be more in favour of playing for Nigeria but the FAI should approach him.

Limerick actually did get money and had contract clauses for both Cotter and Ogbene. O'Conor left for free last year.

Very few clubs in Ireland can afford multi-year contracts for many of their players (if any), and until that changes, we'll always be losing the best for a pittance.

Technically Limerick were compensated for Paudie and probably received more for him than Ogbene and not 100% sure how out of contract transfers for players u24 work but think Limerick will still receive compensation for things like debuts, caps and sell on fee if sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Patww79 wrote: »

Real.

Would be great to see it happen and work.

I’m a firm believer in better facilities attracting more fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

FAI need to approach Ogbene & try get him to play for Ireland. Should be in the u21 squad.

He is a big talent. I think he said in the past he would be more in favour of playing for Nigeria but the FAI should approach him.

He'd need to be told he can't change country as often as club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

AGC wrote: »

Limerick had Thomond... argument out the window imo.

Ambitious plan by Pats - be shocked if they get PP for it.

• Advertisement

Ambitious and looks great but it will not be by 2020, even Bohs won’t manage that at Dayler.

By 2020 it doesn’t look like Oriel will be much developed either, unfortunately.

In no way can Thomond be comparable. A rugby ground that holds 25,000 plus with terraces in either stand that at capacity probably hold more people than any LOI ground.

Add in that fact they were not playing well to the mix and the poor crowds they had moving to Thomond in the first place.

8-12,000 seater stadiums with good facilities is the right model IMO.

Once is is financially viable it can only be a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Yeah its great to see as long as it does not put them in any danger. Add it to tallaght and derry and with hopefully more stadiums getting improved it will make the league more appealing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If they manage to get a clean planning permission by 2020 for the full project I'd be impressed.
    Build it by then? Not a chance.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Wondering how long it’ll be until we hear about Bray players being owed wages.

Would love to see the Richmond Park development happen, 12K is obviously very big for LOI standards but I suppose with a stadium of that size you're looking at the bigger picture like Underage internationals, women’s internationals, etc.

Outsiders (who generally haven’t a clue and think every LOI club plays out of something like Jackman Park) give the league a lot of guff over grounds but when you look around they’re all of a good standard - Market’s Field, Brandywell and Tallaght stadium are all newly built while there’s nothing wrong with the other Premier grounds, even the first division is decent stadia-wise. It’s easier to name the bad stadiums than it is the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I'm not a believe in the "built it and they will come" logic often employed by those who think that pouring tens of millions into new stadiums will have people queueing up to attend Irish football matches.

Tallaght is, by far, the best stadium in the country. Shamrock Rovers should be packing it out, but they aren't. For most of their time there it has been half empty.

The only time in recent seasons when it was consistently full was when Dundalk, a team from 80KM away, was playing in the Europa League.

I fully supporting spending money on improving antiquated facilities but we need to realistic as to what the impact will be on attendances.

• Advertisement

Rovers crowds are really poor.

They have no excuse either. Rovers play decent enough football as well.

Success and success only brings in fans in this country not infrastructure - simple as.

Look at Waterford at the minute and last season...

Tolka is all but falling down, if we started winnings Leagues again they'd all be back in the door to the good days of attendances. If Tolka miraculously got renovated ready for Drogheda home in 9 days time you'd see no difference in the crowd.

For it to work a club needs to be run properly. Shamrock Rocers is not a well run club.

There is absolutely no reason they do not fill it on a more regular basis.

Success of course brings fans but sitting on broken, dirty seats or using toilet facilities not fit for cattle would not attract any new or irregular supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Rovers are in the top 2/3 supported teams in the country away and at home and because youse boys have lost interest in de Cork/Caulfield/ Dundalk squabble ye dont have to revert to your default slot of having a go at Rovers.....mean it must be monthes now since theyve even caused any trouble, god bless them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Well lads(& lassies),
    1st time on here; I agree that improved grounds alone will not bring crowds back, its one part of the required package along with improved playing standards which comes from improved underage structures, improved professionally run clubs, improved cooperation and fairer dealings between Senior LOI clubs and the Junior clubs in their hinterlands, improved marketing at club and LOI/FAI level, more investment, all these things and more which need to happen on an incremental basis.
    Good luck to Pats on this, I hope it happens soon.
    My local club Waterford FC are seeing the crowds coming back to what they used to be and it could go higher if they had the extra seating but that's up to the City Council who own the ground.
    The new FAI National underage leagues for Senior clubs are a positive step but they need to keep the Junior & Schoolboy clubs onside - not ransack the top Junior clubs of their best talents, as I said inclusiveness and cooperation should be the priorities here.
    Overall, I'm optimistic about the LOI but then I am a recently returned, bandwagon jumping, Blues fan. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The Boom is back.

Football Grounds & Shopping Centres tra la la la la

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I welcome all news of improvements for LOI grounds but I'll believe it when I see it. Like Dalymount it will be scaled down and pushed back again and again.

The court of Abbots town is currently in session.

Success and success only brings in fans in this country not infrastructure - simple as.

Look at Waterford at the minute and last season...

Tolka is all but falling down, if we started winnings Leagues again they'd all be back in the door to the good days of attendances. If Tolka miraculously got renovated ready for Drogheda home in 9 days time you'd see no difference in the crowd.

If the club was being run properly and in a position to invest in facilities it would of course bring people back. Tallaght being the example.

As many people have said it is a number of factors that need to be built on/started to improve the league and facilities is 100% one of them.

If we were away in Dundalk or the camac in inchicore and it’s lashing rain I’m certainly not going to travel to stand out in it. Have a proper stand I would.

Dalymount could have had more people through the gate for the Rovers game but because lack of facilities they couldn’t.....I’m sure Tolka would be the same, would the Riverside be safe if crowds were still going?

Look what throwing money that wasn’t there to get success has done. If money is there and is put to proper use it can be built on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Real.

Would be great to see it happen and work.

Could not agree more with you about better facilities attracting more fans and all the knock on affects that would snowball from there as well for clubs. Really hope this comes to pass as well of course as Dalymount and then we would have 3 good LOI stadiums in the capital.

If money is there and is put to proper use it can be built on.

But the money isn't there. Are Pats not millions in debt?

Someone will have to foot the bill for a new 12,000 seater stadium.

Probably costing Pats nothing, my take is this is more a Garrett Kelleher project that will include a new stadium with it in return he'll turn Richmond Park into private development for himself.

Probably costing Pats nothing, my take is this is more a Garrett Kelleher project that will include a new stadium with it in return he'll turn Richmond Park into private development for himself.

So Kelliher, after paying the highest bid price to DCC for the land, will pay for the stadium out of his profits on selling the retail units and building houses on Richmond Park?

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd love to see the stadium plan happen and certainly that's an area of Inchicore that needs rejuvenation but I'd be fairly skeptical of it actually happening.

So Kelliher, after paying the highest bid price to DCC for the land, will pay for the stadium out of his profits on selling the retail units and building houses on Richmond Park.

Fair play.

I'm sure he'll make it back and then some once Richmond is demolished and turned into apartments or something.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he'll make it back and then some once Richmond is demolished and turned into apartments or something.

Does kelliher have sole ownership of Richmond park? I seem to recall it was owned by multiple parties previously.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Does kelliher have sole ownership of Richmond park? I seem to recall it was owned by multiple parties previously.

Honestly don't know who owns it, I assumed Pats themselves owned it and would give him the land if the new stadium is built as part of the overall regeneration of that part of Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So Kelliher, after paying the highest bid price to DCC for the land, will pay for the stadium out of his profits on selling the retail units and building houses on Richmond Park?

Fair play.

Yeh all that without asking for a penny in grants towards the stadium.

It almost sounds like the plan is meant to deliberately fail......

Aborah banned for 6 matches, Hery for 4, Reynolds for 1, not reported yet about the Cork contingent.

Aborah banned for 6 matches, Hery for 4, Reynolds for 1, not reported yet about the Cork contingent.

The Cork lads were the victims though ;)

Six matches for Aborah is very severe.

That’s where the IF comes from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Cork lads were the victims though ;)

Six matches for Aborah is very severe.

Don't think I read anywhere that said City players were the 'victims', both sides went nuts and were out of order. Hery's push on a manager was justified by some here though. Aborah clashed with Buckley, not sure of the exact goings on but he seemed incredibly wound up to get stuck in. I'd expect hefty enough bans on the City side too. I'd guess Beats will get similar to Aborah, what he did was very stupid.

If the club was being run properly and in a position to invest in facilities it would of course bring people back. Tallaght being the example.

Bringing people back and then using Tallaght as an example? It was a brand new stadium build in an area with over 100,000 serviced extremely well by bus and luas who had no LoI team in the locality - to get Rovers diehards going there and 2-3% of the population going biweekly is hardly anything to do with club being run properly or facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Seems about right.. I think Beats gets 3 Buckley 3 and JC 1

• Advertisement

Aborah is a loose cannon. Got sent off in pre-season for waying something to the ref & looks on the verge of starting a fight in many games he plays.

He is a very good player probably even better than Hery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement