Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I actually don't think Hery should get any more of a ban than he would get if it had been a player. Would he have got 4 games if it had been a Cork player that had done what Caulfield did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Does anyone know exactly what Aborah did to warrant a 6 game ban? I was in the new stand on the far side and didn't see any of it.
    Must have been 'Aborahent'! :pac: No? I'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Does anyone know exactly what Aborah did to warrant a 6 game ban? I was in the new stand on the far side and didn't see any of it.
    Must have been 'Aborahent'! :pac: No? I'll get me coat.

Went out of his way to have a go at Gary Buckley as he was walking down the tunnel, had a go at the referee when shown the red card and some reports there was afters in the tunnel and could have been singled out in the melee so all comes down to the referees report and probably a number of incidents built up to make them 6 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Only saw it on SR. Reynolds appeared to do nothing. Caulfield, ok he should not have entered the pitch but it heat of match, and he did hold his hands up afterwards. Hery also heat of match but you can’t raise your hands. Maybe 4 a bit harsh. Beattie and Buckley 3 each a bit harsh, Aborah ....... loose cannon.....should have been ‘grabbed’ by Waterford officials or stewards but that’s hindsight.

Rob Rogers always struck me as a pretty laid back referee, maybe too much.

Just checked the fixtures and Buckley and Beattie are back for the Waterford match :pac:

• Advertisement

Rennie gets 1 match touchline ban for trying to be peacemaker??? If Caulfield gets the same, it's scandalous as he was instrumental in the whole thing escalating.

Caulfield 1 match ban, Beattie 4 matches, Buckley 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Caulfield 1 match, Buckley 3 and Beattie 4.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/cork-bans-revealed-as-steven-beattie-and-garry-buckley-punished-for-waterford-melee-36800345.html

Fair bans all around.

The whole thing started with the Waterford bench grabbing and holding onto the ball to prevent a throw-in. There was a bit of shoving of Griffin when he went to retrieve it. Was this what Reynold's was sent off for? When Griffin got the ball back, Aborah squared up to him and the fourth official tried to keep him back. This led to an argy bargy by the Waterford bench. Hery hit the ball from Griffin's hands and kicked it away a few times. Caulfield went onto the pitch to retrieve the ball, maybe he made a bit of contact with Hery, if so, it was minimal. Hery ran and shoved him to the ground. This led to another argy bargy, where Beattie and Buckley got involved and Hery and Aborah did, as well.

Ref sends 6 off. Most of them went off, Aborah didn't go quietly. He squared up to the ref and was screaming in his face. He started on City players walking back and started on Buckley again at the tunnel. Apparently he did it again outside the dressing rooms.

So, all in all, I think no one can really have any complaints, except maybe Reynolds. Aborah clearly the biggest offender of the lot. Managers/non-playing staff on the pitch isn't nearly as terrible an offence as some make it out to be on here. In the 2014 CL final, Simeone twice went onto the pitch to square up to Real players and he ended up going about 50 yards outside his technical area. He got a one match ban. Caulfield went about 5-10 yards. Renyolds ban may be harsh. If he was involved in holding back the ball and the initial handbags, then it was deserved. But if he was just separating people, then it wasn't. Possible case of mistaken identity with another member of the Waterford bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rennie gets 1 match touchline ban for trying to be peacemaker??? If Caulfield gets the same, it's scandalous as he was instrumental in the whole thing escalating.

Reynolds was involved in not giving the ball back to Griffin in the first place, which preceded Hery-Caulfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fair bans all round except maybe Reynolds. Wasn't aborah also sent off in pre season for something to do with the ref, while they officially don't count I'm not surprised the FAI threw the book at him the hardest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I think both Clubs should be happy it's not much worse as there was a lot more than the six involved. I'm surprised that Caulfield didn't get more but when you compare some of the actions of the others to his then maybe one match is enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It feels like Rovers' 8 point deduction, all a little bit arbitrary..

Corholio wrote: »
    Reynolds was involved in not giving the ball back to Griffin in the first place, which preceded Hery-Caulfield.

Fair enough I suppose if Reynolds was involved but 1 match for Caulfield is lenient. Takes the gloss off what was a great comeback and win against the champions in front of Waterford's biggest crowd in years. As I said elsewhere, there's clever ways of running the clock down and 'that' wasn't it. Get a few Italians in to teach them.

Derry fans, has John Cofie played much this season for ye? Was interested to see how he gets on considering his very early start in pro football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I havnt seen his name mentioned but Niman or someone may be more certain.
    reminds me of the air time Man Utd u21 captain Ryan McConnell got signing for us. In fairness injuries played a part but barely featured before being loaned/then permanent to Ballinmallard, where he did get a decent bit of games. Now with Letterkenny Rovers in the USL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Derry fans, has John Cofie played much this season for ye? Was interested to see how he gets on considering his very early start in pro football.

He only plays the mid afternoon kick offs, something about being a-scared of the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Again?? There a classy bunch the Dalk fans!!

But when it's cork fans...
    Every club has fools.

Also, this
    Try and be gracious on yer way up cuz these are the same people ye’ll Pass on yer way down again!

bot43 wrote: »
    Typical small club mentality.
    LOI fan having a go at other clubs' fans over 'small club mentality'. Cringe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

overshoot wrote: »
    I havnt seen his name mentioned but Niman or someone may be more certain.
    reminds me of the air time Man Utd u21 captain Ryan McConnell got signing for us. In fairness injuries played a part but barely featured before being loaned/then permanent to Ballinmallard, where he did get a decent bit of games. Now with Letterkenny Rovers in the USL.

Cofie has only got a handful of minutes as a sub away to Sligo. I think thats been his only game time so far.

He suffered an injury pre-season I think and it set him back a fair bit.

I'm sure he'll be on the bench tonight v Waterford, might get a run out late on depending on how we're doing.

Fair enough I suppose if Reynolds was involved but 1 match for Caulfield is lenient. Takes the gloss off what was a great comeback and win against the champions in front of Waterford's biggest crowd in years. As I said elsewhere, there's clever ways of running the clock down and 'that' wasn't it. Get a few Italians in to teach them.

Pat Dolan in The Star today says the bans are too harsh and that the ref was probably issuing punishments that he maybe thought the Assessor would expect of him rather than stepping back and appraising the situation with a bit of context.
    Dead right.
    Nobody threw a punch, nobody got their leg snapped in half, it was all just a bit of excessive clumsy time-wasting followed by lots of pushing and shoving. Reading some of the headlines about 'brawls' followed by 6 red cards, followed by 6 game bans, you'd think there were scenes like those at South American derbies you can watch on Youtube.
    Dolan also correctly points out how most of the coverage has overshadowed what has been an extraordinary start to to the season by Waterford - that should be the big story everyone is talking about, not this bullsh1t.

Nobody threw a punch,

Examiner today has a photo of what looks like McNulty landing a punch to Hery's head. If so, he was very lucky it wasn't seen by any officials on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

And thats where the camera does tell a lie. By all accounts McNulty was pulling guys apart rather than wading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

McNulty should be nowhere near an incident on the half-way line.

bot43 wrote: »
    And thats where the camera does tell a lie. By all accounts McNulty was pulling guys apart rather than wading in.
    Ah here, whether or not he landed a dig or not is inconclusive alright based on video footage, but the idea that he raced 50 yards so that he could pull guys apart, and then had to be restrained by 2 others (Duffus and somebody else) in his quest to pull guys apart, is nonsense.

Pat Dolan in The Star today says the bans are too harsh and that the ref was probably issuing punishments that he maybe thought the Assessor would expect of him rather than stepping back and appraising the situation with a bit of context.
    Dead right.
    Nobody threw a punch, nobody got their leg snapped in half, it was all just a bit of excessive clumsy time-wasting followed by lots of pushing and shoving. Reading some of the headlines about 'brawls' followed by 6 red cards, followed by 6 game bans, you'd think there were scenes like those at South American derbies you can watch on Youtube.
    Dolan also correctly points out how most of the coverage has overshadowed what has been an extraordinary start to to the season by Waterford - that should be the big story everyone is talking about, not this bullsh1t.

In fairness I think when a player pushes over a manager it will always get noted in the press. I can't recall another incident like it anytime in the recent past in this league. Both teams were stupid, but the admonishment of Hery from some is baffling to be honest. If it was a less 'divisive' manager than Caulfield I doubt it'd be the same stuff.

In fairness I think when a player pushes over a manager it will always get noted in the press. I can't recall another incident like it anytime in the recent past in this league. Both teams were stupid, but the admonishment of Hery from some is baffling to be honest. If it was a less 'divisive' manager than Caulfield I doubt it'd be the same stuff.
    It will definitely get a lot of press, but in terms of punishment, the 'he pushed the manager' aspect of it is lessened (for me at least) by the fact that Caulfield had just gone onto the pitch and grabbed him and tried to get the ball off him.

If Hery's actions deserve 4 games, fair enough (they probably do), but I don't think the fact it was a manager he pushed should really have much to do with the length of the ban.

Aborah aside, it looks to like a case of ' keep it even and ban the same number of people on both sides, for the same number of games'.

osarusan wrote: »
    It will definitely get a lot of press, but in terms of punishment, the 'he pushed the manager' aspect of it is lessened (for me at least) by the fact that Caulfield had just gone onto the pitch and grabbed him and tried to get the ball off him.

If Hery's actions deserve 4 games, fair enough (they probably do), but I don't think the fact it was a manager he pushed should really have much to do with the length of the ban.

Aborah aside, it looks to like a case of ' keep it even and ban the same number of people on both sides, for the same number of games'.

Well it would always have to do with the length of the ban really, if he pushed over a City player he wouldn't have got 4 matches. I mean there was even the suggestion that Caulfield 'dived' on here, which which of course looks pretty silly now considering the footage of it now around that isn't 90's camera phone facebook footage.

I think the bans were fair enough overall, with exception of Aborah/Buckley as don't know for sure what went on there. Just a night of silliness all round really. I don't think Waterfords win was overshadowed either really, despite what RTE's cherry picked footage would have you think. We just never showed up in the second half after we should have been more ahead in the first, and Waterford played well in that period.

osarusan wrote: »
    Examiner today has a photo of what looks like McNulty landing a punch to Hery's head. If so, he was very lucky it wasn't seen by any officials on the night.

Cant believe I'm about to defend McNulty but from watching the videos it does appear he didn't do much. One of the pictures looked like he landed a punch but the video tells a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bohs with the 99th minute winner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City scrape a win.
    Waterford lose.
    Rovers lose to a 99th minute goal at home to Bohs.

Not a bad night at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Get in. Well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Dundalk shockingly bad tonight and Bray could have easily pulled off a draw. Still it's another three points and keeps us ahead of Cork.

Bad bad result for Rovers. Eight points off the top with a game more played. But sure Bradley says they can't win the league

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Delighted for Bohs. :)

Feel sorry for Pat's. They did more than enough to deserve something out of that game. We were so worryingly poor again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wilberto wrote: »
    Delighted for Bohs. :)

Feel sorry for Pat's. They did more than enough to deserve something out of that game.
    We were so worryingly poor again though.

Ugh. That's happening too often this season. We've lost 5 so far and only in one of them could you say that we were well beaten in (away to Waterford).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can we play rovers every week?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

CCFC very very poor again tonight. Great goal to win it with the only bit of quality shown by city for the whole night.

People are saying we haven’t clicked yet and we will really push on when we do. But thus far I’ve seen nothing to suggest we are anywhere near clicking.

On a side note that must be the youngest and fewest appearances a back 4 for CCFC has ever had. Horgans 2nd appearance. McLoghlin (future superstar) 10th I think. McCarthy has less than 20 appearances and Griffin maybe 40 max. So a clean sheet is nice there too.

Another great 3pts for us at the Brandywell tonight.

And what a game of football. Waterford outclassed us first half. Akinade looked like he was going to torture us.

Second half, a different Derry came out. Upped the tempo, held on to possession better, and created chances.

Played really well, place was jumping. And a proper game with bit of niggle, proper tackles, players getting stuck in. Old stool football.

But Waterford a very good side. Puri a diving, cheating fecker. Went down everytime someone went near him. Infuriating to watch that cos he's a talented player. Keegan bossed the 1dt half but think he tired in the 2nd as we gained control.

Roll on Monday now and another victory over Bohs at fortress brandywell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Where was Duffus tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sugarman wrote: »
    Poor showing from Rovers yet again, how much longer can Bradly last? Crolly, Fenlon and Kenny got sacked for a lot less. The team is a right mess at the back.

Started off so well in the first half, I dont know what he said to them at half time but they came out into the second and just couldnt hold onto the ball. They were completely backs to wall until the last 10 mins after theyd went a goal behind. Had 2 decent chances late on alright, and were very unlucky not to score one of them in injury time ourselves only for a great save from Supple but its not good enough. Should have been doing it after the break not waiting till we're one behind.

Rovers were pathetic second half, Bohs looked like they wanted it more and deserved the win. Bohs were better than I expected them to be in fairness, the left full back had a great game and think he scored the winner in the end? Bradley must be coming under pressure now.

Kevin Horgan had a much better game tonight and pulled off some good saves, still looks nervy and Gilchrist in front of him doesn't fill me with confidence either. What has happened to Brandon Miele? He is a shadow of the player he was the last few years, he has not played well in any game this season.

Very big crowd in Tallaght (5,000?) and a good atmosphere but it boiled over at points, the game was basically stopped for about 5 mins when the Bohs and Rovers fans were trying to get at one another and onto the pitch. Saw the gardaí laying into some lads outside with batons before the game as well.

On a personal note - this is probably the first year in almost 10 years I have regularly been attending LoI games again. Absolutely loving it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The game was stopped to fix the corner flag, not for the handbags.

• Advertisement

Hard to believe that the Bohs team we kept out last week (relatively comfortably, I thought, apart from one shot cleared off the line) created so many chances tonight.

Rovers really are a shambles defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sugarman wrote: »
    Poor showing from Rovers yet again, how much longer can Bradly last? Crolly, Fenlon and Kenny got sacked for a lot less. The team is a right mess at the back.

Started off so well in the first half, I dont know what he said to them at half time but they came out into the second and just couldnt hold onto the ball. They were completely backs to wall until the last 10 mins after theyd went a goal behind. Had 2 decent chances late on alright, and were very unlucky not to score one of them in injury time ourselves only for a great save from Supple but its not good enough. Should have been doing it after the break not waiting till we're one behind.

Rovers were pathetic second half, Bohs looked like they wanted it more and deserved the win. Bohs were better than I expected them to be in fairness, the left full back had a great game and think he scored the winner in the end? Bradley must be coming under pressure now.

Kevin Horgan had a much better game tonight and pulled off some good saves, still looks nervy and Gilchrist in front of him doesn't fill me with confidence either. What has happened to Brandon Miele? He is a shadow of the player he was the last few years, he has not played well in any game this season.

Very big crowd in Tallaght (5,000?) and a good atmosphere but it boiled over at points, the game was basically stopped for about 5 mins when the Bohs and Rovers fans were trying to get at one another and onto the pitch. Saw the gardaí laying into some lads outside with batons before the game as well.

On a personal note - this is probably the first year in almost 10 years I have regularly been attending LoI games again. Absolutely loving it!

Always good to hear. And I say that as a Bray fan who cant/won't go to games. Hopefully more go with you too, as much as I may be ambivalent towards attending games, will always encourage people to go. Great fun to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kksaints wrote: »
    Ugh. That's happening too often this season. We've lost 5 so far and only in one of them could you say that we were well beaten in (away to Waterford).

Wasn't at the game tonight so can't comment on the performance, but by all accounts, it sounds like we might have got something out of it.

I agree with you, Waterford was the one truly disappointing performance this season where we deserved nothing but defeat. Other than that, we've been unlucky in other games where we have dropped points.

In saying that, it's time now to start putting the points we deserve on the board. There's no use going through the season saying we should have got this and should have got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Awful showing from Rovers tonight. Too many players didn't show up, can't understand why Gilchrist was back in for Lopes. In fairness to Horgan he did ok tonight and did make a few very good saves. As FB said in an earlier post, Brandon Miele is a shadow of the player he was and looks drained of all confidence. Ronan Finn had his poorest game I can remember in a rovers shirt. Dan Carr and maybe Graham Burke & Luke Byrne aside, a lot of players need to take a good hard look at themselves on that showing. Not enough fight and if a home derby against Bohs can't fire you up.......

Hate to admit it but Bohe deserved the win, hungrier and played as a team. Stephen Bradley must be under serious pressure now and if we lose to Bray on monday.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stephen Bradley is a football genius. He must stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bohs young lads played with no fear, Leahy and Watts outstanding. Same can be said of Rovers. Miele was terrible, looks unfit and a liability on the pitch atm. Finn very quiet. Dan Carr does look a useful striker however. Could have done with him playing the 90 especially when Bohs pushed on.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bohs young lads played with no fear, Leahy and Watts outstanding. Same can be said of Rovers. Miele was terrible, looks unfit and a liability on the pitch atm. Finn very quiet. Dan Carr does look a useful striker however. Could have done with him playing the 90 especially when Bohs pushed on.

Kinda the way our young lads play too.

Monday night should be a good game so. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Great win for us last night and a vast improvement football wise against the opening match of the season.

It Keith Long can keep this side together the future is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Awful showing from Rovers tonight. Too many players didn't show up, can't understand why Gilchrist was back in for Lopes. In fairness to Horgan he did ok tonight and did make a few very good saves. As FB said in an earlier post, Brandon Miele is a shadow of the player he was and looks drained of all confidence. Ronan Finn had his poorest game I can remember in a rovers shirt. Dan Carr and maybe Graham Burke & Luke Byrne aside, a lot of players need to take a good hard look at themselves on that showing. Not enough fight and if a home derby against Bohs can't fire you up.......

Rovers performance last night is hard to understand. They played lovely football in Oriel Last week against Dundalk. High energy, composed, creative. Everything apart from competent goalkeeping. Such a difference in seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Rovers performance last night is hard to understand. They played lovely football in Oriel Last week against Dundalk. High energy, composed, creative. Everything apart from competent goalkeeping. Such a difference in seven days.

Correct, we've no real consistency. No doubt we have a strong squad and are definitely under-achieving. Of course there are issues with the keepers but Horgan did well last night I think. THe selection of Gilchrist in place of Lopes was a bad call as was starting Miele who is totally out of sorts at the mo. I like G Bolger but would like to see DAve McAllister now get some gametime. Young Aaron Bolger did really well when given a chance last season, young, uses the ball well and doesn't lose it very often. Time to give him another chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement