Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

He may be past his prime but he is still a very good good footballer.

He has let his physical conditioning slip.

He had to work very hard at Dundalk to get into the team and he became a stronger player as a result. He is coasting at Rovers, and that is obvious for all to see.

I doubt Kenny would re-sign him. Finn excelled at Dundalk as he was pushed by Towell and O'Donnell to get to a high level. He is not a player who can be relied on to get himself to that level.

I don't know if it's his physical conditioning or not, he's still able to get around the pitch and he isn't exactly old (only 30), but it feels as if Rovers aren't really playing to his strengths or maybe don't know how to fit all of their best players onto the pitch at one time. Does the position Burke plays take away from Finn slightly? Finn was arguably the best midfielder in the league when Rovers re-signed him but he has been far from that lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I don't know if it's his physical conditioning or not, he's still able to get around the pitch and he isn't exactly old (only 30), but it feels as if Rovers aren't really playing to his strengths or maybe don't know how to fit all of their best players onto the pitch at one time. Does the position Burke plays take away from Finn slightly? Finn was arguably the best midfielder in the league when Rovers re-signed him but he has been far from that lately.

I think he was a bigger loss to Dundalk than Horgan or Boyle were. Had we kept him would have been a lot closer to Cork when Maguire left that's for sure and knows what would may have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Hery and Aborah have had their bans reduced to 3 and 4 games.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Anyone know which ref got the sack? Sick leave from his employer whilst still reffing premier games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Doctor didn’t cover him/her self in glory either

The man supplied a series of medical certificates to his employer over January and February last year which outlined that he was suffering from a serious chest infection and had flu symptoms.

.......had made himself available for at least three matches during his sick leave – one which involved him travelling to the North.

Should make it easier to find out who it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Patww79 wrote: »
    Another live game missed. ****ing Eir.

Not as if RTÉ would have shown it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just download the uktvnow app if you've got an Android device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Bohs playing great stuff, do not deserve to be losing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Derry giving Dundalk a good game 2-2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Big appointment by Shels confirmed with Dave Henderson! artanevilla was he snapped up from Bohs?

https://www.shelbournefc.ie/news/4455/club-appoints-dave-henderson-as-head-of-recruitment

Did a great job a Bohs imo. A casualty of the Kevins link up I think.

Bohs all over Cork at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And the Champions pull a Cummins Cracker out of the hat !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And the Champions pull a Cummins Cracker out of the hat !!

Oh dear. Too many times this season Bohs have been the better team and lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Never a 2-0 game but credit to Cork that’s why they champions!

Bohs in first half played some good football Dylan Watts is a baller!

Disappointing but crucial 3 points for Cork! 10 mins left but can’t see a comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Athlone must be truly dreadful. Losing 7-0 atm down in Wexford who lost 8-1 to Drogheda at home a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great result for us tonight in Oriel.

Shame our run of victories had to end !!
    But we'll take the point.

Super 3 points for the Champions. Not playing as well as we can, but crucially, still winning.
    5 clean sheets in 6.
    Dundalk only drew at home.
    Rovers only drew at home.

A good night.

Next Friday will be a full house down the X and I expect the atmosphere to be electric.

• Advertisement

Just in from the Ben Connolly show. Star man. Booked 5 Derry players and sent one off....and could and should given a straight red for a horrible tackle on McGrath and possibly Doherty a second yellow for time wasting . and yet he managed to give Derry free kicks for non free kicks and gave Dundalk very very little. Including a penalty. Worthy of a Buttimer award. Having said that Derry were impressive. Neat passing, high pressing, two chances two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Another brutal performance from Rovers. Second half they were terrible and offered very little going forward, they played 5 at the back tonight with two wing backs and looked like they were afraid of going for a second goal to kill the game off. They had chances to make it 2-0 but as they game went on it felt like they were content with the one nil and it came back to bite them in the arse. Morrissey took his goal very well in fairness to him but Limerick were by a distance the worst team I've seen in Tallaght this year. Only positive was Aaron Bolger who had a great game. Definitely a sense around the ground of that equalizer being the nail in Bradleys coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

kksaints wrote: »
    Athlone must be truly dreadful. Losing 7-0 atm down in Wexford who lost 8-1 to Drogheda at home a few weeks ago.

And somehow we drew with them 😭
    Got the win tonight... That's all I'll say. Still in touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

joeysoap wrote: »
    Just in from the Ben Connolly show. Star man. Booked 5 Derry players and sent one off....and could and should given a straight red for a horrible tackle on McGrath and possibly Doherty a second yellow for time wasting . and yet he managed to give Derry free kicks for non free kicks and gave Dundalk very very little. Including a penalty. Worthy of a Buttimer award. Having said that Derry were impressive. Neat passing, high pressing, two chances two goals.

LOI referees are so inconsistent with cards & are so bad in general.

Amen to that.

Good win for Waterford.

Waterford started off very well good tempo.

But Bray came into it last 15 of 1st half & missed quite a few chances & a miss of the season from Coughlan should have been ahead.
    2nd half was even until Kasmi got the 1st & then Waterford player well. Kasmi hitting form a huge plus. Akinade very poor bar some good runs using his pace. Corey Galvin & McCabe were both very good for Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Ref was brutal and didn't help Dundalk at all but Dohertys saves and a couple of strange substitutions by Kenny were greatest factors.

Thought Derry were very good and played great stuff. Them and Waterford could be battling for third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Agree with all that apart from I think it may have been a pen. Rash challenge from Cleary.

That tackle was disgusting. Genuinely upsetting how someone can get away with that. It easily could have been a leg breaker. McGrath was very lucky to get away unscathed.

Derry were very good though. The first half was a great game of football. Both sides wanted to play nice passing football.

O'Donnell was poor. I kind of blame him for us losing the game. He gave away the free that led to the second goal with a stupid challenge. Going in studs up at a bit of a height. Then he was going mad at players. Then he lost the plot and got booked minutes later for a bit of a lunging slide tackle. From that Dundalk never settled again.

Raoul wrote: »
    Agree with all that apart from I think it may have been a pen. Rash challenge from Cleary.

Sorry, I wasn’t making myself clear, it was about a possible Dundalk penalty, just before Mountney put the ball wide.

The Derry penalty was a stonewall penalty, silly from Cleary as the Derry player was going nowhere and there was no need to challenge him, especially where he was in the box.

These things happen.

But if the referees inspector actually follows up on tonight’s showing this ref will have a fews weeks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Statement of intent in Tolka tonight - beating the League favourites with ease 2-0! Not many chances either side but we had two of the few clear cut chances!

Raoul wrote: »

I kind of blame him for us losing the game.

:)

I know what you mean though

Weren’t Shamrock supposed to challenge this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bot43 wrote: »
    Weren’t Shamrock supposed to challenge this season?

Next year is their year. Might even win one of their 4 cup finals.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Next year is their year. Might even win one of their 4 cup finals.

Isn’t every match they play a cup final for someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

:)

I know what you mean though

Just so used to winning again, a draw feels like a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cookie with his 3rd promotion in 5 seasons to bring Wigan to the Championship. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That's back to back promotions and possible back to back league wins if Wigan can hold out for first place. Would love to see him as the next Ireland manager

But you might get keep him as a player until July ( Seanie last year).its the way to go, otherwise you’ll get nothing at seasons end (Horgan, Boyle, Towell, McMillan, McEneaney, and not forgetting Whoban)

Georgie Kelly a very good striker for UCD.

Will be a fight for his signature after this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Anyone hear what the story was with the Drogheda fans not been left into Cobh yesterday!?!?

Many Rovers fans coming up to the Brandywell on Friday night?

Must say, I have been very disappointed with the amount of away fans this season so far at the Brandywell, very poor.

Be just like you to come up here and take away our 100% home record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone hear what the story was with the Drogheda fans not been left into Cobh yesterday!?!?

Guards stopped their mini bus and told them to turn back... assuming it was due to the trouble a few years back?

Absolute mental situation not letting 20-30 lads to a game of football for literally no reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Guards stopped their mini bus and told them to turn back... assuming it was due to the trouble a few years back?

Absolute mental situation not letting 20-30 lads to a game of football for literally no reason...
    What trouble was a few years back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

but could be any number of nonsense reasons made up on the spot, the bus was the wrong shade of white or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NIMAN wrote: »
    Many Rovers fans coming up to the Brandywell on Friday night?

Must say, I have been very disappointed with the amount of away fans this season so far at the Brandywell, very poor.

Probably to do with the perceived levels of trouble away fans of some clubs have experienced around the ground over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

On the advice of the Drogheda Board, heard they made the call which is ridiculous if true.

I sort of remember trouble at a play off match a couple of years ago. There was no guards on duty at all that day if I recall correctly. As far as I can see it’s overkill or nothing with Gardai at matches.

As a Dundalk supporter I am impressed with Drogheda. The manager, coming in relatively late, did a great job assembling a side who from the off (floodlights excepted, but that was due to the FAI) were competitive.

*They are the experts at relegation and promotion, and I wouldn’t bet against them doing it again.

*I think Drogheda have been promoted 7 times in total.

There was 175 spectators at the match, Cobh could certainly done with a bigger gate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement