Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Gardai do not particularly like the sport in Cork. The assumption is we are all Shamrock (only a minority of them) fans.

The CCFC V Limerick game due to be played friday 4th is postponed to Saturday 5th at 2pm because the gardai would not allow go ahead at the same time as Ed Sheerans concert down the road.

You would swear the CCFC game needed 100s of police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bot43 wrote: »
    Gardai do not particularly like the sport in Cork. The assumption is we are all Shamrock (only a minority of them) fans.

The CCFC V Limerick game due to be played friday 4th is postponed to Saturday 5th at 2pm because the gardai would not allow go ahead at the same time as Ed Sheerans concert down the road.

You would swear the CCFC game needed 100s of police.

GAA income takes priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Zebra3 wrote: »
    GAA income takes priority.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Wes leaving norwich. Wonder if there is any chance of a swansong in the league for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wes rumoured to be heading stateside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Waterford beat City on Pens, Akinade scoring the winner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Didn't want to win it anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wes leaving norwich. Wonder if there is any chance of a swansong in the league for him

Prob join Rovers & be injured for the rest of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Waterford beat City on Pens, Akinade scoring the winner.

That’s makes me happy and sad

Horrendous game management from Caulfield last night, League cup was always an afterthought and his initial selection kind of reflected that. Then he started subbing on first teamers ahead of the infinitely more important game on Friday night. All for the reward of an away trip to Sligo. Utterly daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Horrendous game management from Caulfield last night, League cup was always an afterthought and his initial selection kind of reflected that. Then he started subbing on first teamers ahead of the infinitely more important game on Friday night. All for the reward of an away trip to Sligo. Utterly daft.

Nothing daft about the selection chances are he would have introduced 3 first choice players irrespective of how the game was going. The starting 11 have seen very little game time this season. Plenty of time to rest up before Friday. An extra game away to Sligo wouldn't have been the end of the world.

WTF is game management when it;s at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Great result for Dundalk. I was delighted to see it go to extra time when as the likes of Sadlier and McNamee were playing. It's great to see a team that really seem to hate Cork and are determined to get a result against them. Seemed last year that clubs were just rolling over for Cork. It's a lot different this year though with Limerick and to a far greater extent Waterford. It certainly is an advantage for Dundalk which hasn't existed previously.

Big match now on Friday and for the first time in a couple of seasons I'm fully confident going into a game against Cork. I think they have regressed under Caulfield and gone back to playing hoof ball which suits Dundalk defenders. Plenty has been said about Corks recent record against Dundalk but I believe that Cork without Maguire haven't beaten Dundalk in 90 minutes of league or FAI cup since 2012 and I'd fully expect that to continue on Friday.

This post has the potential to backfire spectacularly :D

Sadlier played 120 mins last night.

Probably won't start against Dundalk. I know he isn't great defensively but you have to accomodate your best player in your team.

Cork are so poor to watch. Ball in the air constantly.

MD1990 wrote: »

Probably won't start against Dundalk. I know he isn't great defensively but you have to accomodate your best player in your team.

The alternative facts are that Sadlier is not our best player. He may think he is, and his agent might be telling all and sundry that a number of Championship clubs are after him, but the truth is he is a passenger at best. He really has not kicked on since arriving in July.

• Advertisement

The alternative facts are that Sadlier is not our best player. He may think he is, and his agent might be telling all and sundry that a number of Championship clubs are after him, but the truth is he is a passenger at best. He really has not kicked on since arriving in July.

I wouldn't rate any Cork player ahead of him. McCirmack been poor when I have seen him.

Dundalk will be happy if he is on the bench Friday.

So will I :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Reminds me of listening to the Limerick FC Podcast a while back, one of the hosts spoke about John Caulfield's comments on the surface in the Market's Field and said something to the effect of, 'The ball isn't going to bobble in the air when you're spending 90 minutes hoofing it to Graham Cummins'. Nearly fell off my chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

doncarlos wrote: »
    Great result for Dundalk. I was delighted to see it go to extra time when as the likes of Sadlier and McNamee were playing. It's great to see a team that really seem to hate Cork and are determined to get a result against them. Seemed last year that clubs were just rolling over for Cork. It's a lot different this year though with Limerick and to a far greater extent Waterford. It certainly is an advantage for Dundalk which hasn't existed previously.

Big match now on Friday and for the first time in a couple of seasons I'm fully confident going into a game against Cork. I think they have regressed under Caulfield and gone back to playing hoof ball which suits Dundalk defenders. Plenty has been said about Corks recent record against Dundalk but I believe that Cork without Maguire haven't beaten Dundalk in 90 minutes of league or FAI cup since 2012 and I'd fully expect that to continue on Friday.

Helps when half your team are ex cork players 😂

Can't see next month's meetings against cork being like the 1-1 draw last month unless we've got our strongest 11 available (that was the last game we'd a full squad and hit with injuries since then) and cork aren't going to be as poor this time around.

So will I :)

You surely must be in a minority? Sadlier is one of the top players in the league and Dundalk fans will certainly be delighted if he's benched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Our midfield hasn't really got it together this season as of yet, Gearoid and McCormack a good bit off their form from last year. I do laugh at the 'ball in the air constantly' stuff though. Our play on the ground has been hit and miss this year as of yet, slightly more miss maybe but most teams play ball in the air at some stage in games, it just seems City's is logged and recorded by some. Sadlier has had probably most of the ball than any City player this season and it certainly wasn't from receiving it in the air. Where we do play the ball in the air too much is instances where the defenders are too eager for a difficult or killer ball instead of just going back across the pitch. McCarthy is especially poor at this and another reason I would want Beats to be in at right back when he returns.

Corholio wrote: »
    Our midfield hasn't really got it together this season as of yet, Gearoid and McCormack a good bit off their form from last year. I do laugh at the 'ball in the air constantly' stuff though. Our play on the ground has been hit and miss this year as of yet, slightly more miss maybe but most teams play ball in the air at some stage in games, it just seems City's is logged and recorded by some. Sadlier has had probably most of the ball than any City player this season and it certainly wasn't from receiving it in the air. Where we do play the ball in the air too much is instances where the defenders are too eager for a difficult or killer ball instead of just going back across the pitch. McCarthy is especially poor at this and another reason I would want Beats to be in at right back when he returns.

No Cork play the ball in the air much more than other teams.

It is there main tactic & they are very good at it so can why they do it. Its effective but not easy on the eye.

Sadlier gets the 2nd balls a lot & is dangerous.

Sadlier lacks the graft Caulfield loves so may be on the bench vs Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sadlier gets the 2nd balls a lot & is dangerous.

Sadlier lacks the graft Caulfield loves so may be on the bench vs Dundalk.

He doesn't actually. One thing we have lacked this season is actually winning 2nd balls. Sadlier gets the ball mostly from it being passed to him, something which some would say too much. Quite a substantial number of our goals this season haven't come from long ball, it's not our 'main tactic', although is utilised in problematic situations which I mentioned. Not sure how much you have seen of City this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shels with 4 goals in 7 minutes vs Drogs in the League Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

doncarlos wrote: »

Plastic pitches should be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

6-0 to Shels now

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Rovers beaten 1-0 by Longford in EA Sports Cup.

Not sure why I'm surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Rovers beaten 1-0 by Longford in EA Sports Cup.
    At home to Longford. If or when he looses the dressing room they could be in a relegation battle.

No idea why Bradley is still Rovers manager.

Crolly & Kenny were sacked for far less.

Maybe the fact he plays some of the youngsters as Rovers seem to take huge pride in there youth teams/players.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hope Bradley gets a new contract.

A match made in heaven really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Zico ! wrote: »
    Plastic pitches should be banned

Build a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No idea why Bradley is still Rovers manager.

Crolly & Kenny were sacked for far less.

Maybe the fact he plays some of the youngsters as Rovers seem to take huge pride in there youth teams/players.

Could be wrong with these figures but points per game average in the league for the last few Rovers games:
    Kenny - 1.67
    Croly - 1.67
    Fenlon - 1.93
    Bradley - 1.54

Yet Bradley has been given more games than the rest of them.. It seems strange that he is been given longer despite possibly being the most out of his depth.

Next 3 games up are Derry (A), Cork (H) & Pats (A), not easy games by any means. What results does he need to achieve in those games to save his job?

Could be wrong with these figures but points per game average in the league for the last few Rovers games:
    Kenny - 1.67
    Croly - 1.67
    Fenlon - 1.93
    Bradley - 1.54

Yet Bradley has been given more games than the rest of them.. It seems strange that he is been given longer despite possibly being the most out of his depth.

Next 3 games up are Derry (A), Cork (H) & Pats (A), not easy games by any means. What results does he need to achieve in those games to save his job?

Probably give another youngster his debut & he will be ok.

Brought on Brandon Kavanagh who I saw in pre-season. Only 17 & way off 1st team level which is normal at that age of course.

Omackeral wrote: »
    6-0 to Shels now

7-2 FT.

Both side with lesser teams out too.

Derry away next on Bank Holiday Monday. Any Derry fan any idea what time KO will be?

Think Drogheda fielded an under 19 side.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Think Drogheda fielded an under 19 side.

At a glance - 3 maybe 4 of their starting XI were potentially U19. No U19 on their bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Does he have the same kind of budget?

I know nothing about it, but lads like Ethan boyle and Joel Coustrain (who Limerick didn't fancy, Limerick!) look like cut-price options to me.

EDIT: Last season, he finished third behind Cork and Dundalk - I think he can't be criticised too much for that. This season though...one thing that strikes me about him is that he isn't learning as he goes...he/his team is still making the same mistakes.

Just seen the Rovers result, can't believe how bad a run you are on.

Which kinda scares me about Friday night, cos we are going to be heavy favourites in the Brandywell. And football has a habit of throwing up unexpected results.

7-2 FT.

Both side with lesser teams out too.

Derry away next on Bank Holiday Monday. Any Derry fan any idea what time KO will be?

Our games are usually 745pm, unless the rare occasion we have a daytime kickoff.

But nothing confirmed yet by club.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Our games are usually 745pm, unless the rare occasion we have a daytime kickoff.

But nothing confirmed yet by club.

Extratime.ie have it down as a 5pm KO

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

At a glance - 3 maybe 4 of their starting XI were potentially U19. No U19 on their bench.
    One of the Drogheda starting 11 might be considered a regular starter - Gareth McCaffrey and even at that Chris Lyons was probably first choice ahead of him until a recent injury.

It's hard to put a finger on what's going wrong at Rovers as they were good up to and including the last game against Dundalk. It's like that result has knocked the stuffing out of them and they haven't recovered.

A lot of Rovers fans seemed to be happy with the current model of developing players and pumping money into youth structures but it was questioned by other fans how long this would last if they weren't winning trophies. I think we are seeing now how long it has lasted with the way they are turning on Bradley

Extratime.ie have it down as a 5pm KO

DbojUWzWkAEwp6l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I would take Drogheda putting out a weakened team as a statement of intent regarding the 1st division. That was (in theory) a winnable match, but the manager has obviously prioritized the league.

Have to say both divisions are throwing up some odd results this year.

Rovers have played 13, lost 6 of those, yet scored 6 in two matches.
    Derry concede 6 in a match and one week later score 5.

Wexford concede 8 in a home match, yet score 7 a fews weeks later.

Out of curiosity anybody know the prizemoney for the EA Sports cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Having a hard time keeping up with the First Division because it's anybody's to win. While relegating three clubs last season wasn't nice for them, it has made the First Division a super competitive league. With the exception of Athlone and Wexford (and maybe Cabinteely to a degree), the rest of the teams all have the beatings of each other and it's great to be honest, especially when you consider that the last two seasons have seen one superior team to the rest.
    It's a shame that only one goes up automatically and I'm saying this as a Limerick fan, a side that will more than likely finish 9th and would be relegated if second place went straight up.

• Advertisement

DbojUWzWkAEwp6l.jpg

Yeah, confirmed on dcfc website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

joeysoap wrote: »

2 tickets to an Ireland game of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

joeysoap wrote: »
    I would take Drogheda putting out a weakened team as a statement of intent regarding the 1st division. That was (in theory) a winnable match, but the manager has obviously prioritized the league.

Have to say both divisions are throwing up some odd results this year.

Rovers have played 13, lost 6 of those, yet scored 6 in two matches.
    Derry concede 6 in a match and one week later score 5.

Wexford concede 8 in a home match, yet score 7 a fews weeks later.

Think its €10,000 to the winner.

2 tickets to an Ireland game of your choice.

For the women’s team hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

kksaints wrote: »
    Think its €10,000 to the winner.

Thats a disgrace -delaney then on his huge contract

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement