Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Turners cross looks well all be it a few cars parked by the corner flag old stamford bridge style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Cork are a good solid team, but Jes I think they play the most unwatchable football in the premier division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Brian Kerr can make any match watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

AGC wrote: »
    Brian Kerr can make any match watchable

Can't stand listening to him in City vs Dundalk games (as a City fan). If Dundalk do something well he praises them. If City do something well, it was due to Dundalk doing something wrong. It's not so bad in City vs anyone else, but these matches bring out the worst in him.

It's bad enough watching the muck we are serving up tonight without listening to that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

farna_boy wrote: »
    Can't stand listening to him in City vs Dundalk games (as a City fan). If Dundalk do something well he praises them. If City do something well, it was due to Dundalk doing something wrong. It's not so bad in City vs anyone else, but these matches bring out the worst in him.

It's bad enough watching the muck we are serving up tonight without listening to that as well.

He’s been very complimentary of Cork tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Champions Cork City give Dundalk their first loss of the season to go 3 points clear at the top.

Nice.

Very nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Waterford really are ridiculous, another red tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

What a horrible game of football. Both teams well below their best and game could have really gone either way. Don't think either team deserved to win and was always going to take a flukey goal in a tight game like that. If a neutral was watching that game they'd assume it was two teams in the relegation zone than the supposed two best teams in the country

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    What a horrible game of football. Both teams well below their best and game could have really gone either way. Don't think either team deserved to win and was always going to take a flukey goal in a tight game like that. If a neutral was watching that game they'd assume it was two teams in the relegation zone than the supposed two best teams in the country

Flukey goal ????

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Can anyone from Sligo tell me do they play that boring brand of football most weeks or was it just tonight? Fair dues though they got their point and they defended great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice comeback from Bohs being 2-0 down and getting a stoppage time equaliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Flukey???? Ha ha ha ha ha !!! How those lemons pal?

Edit beaten to it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Nice comeback from Bohs being 2-0 down and getting a stoppage time equaliser.

Well deserved, better team, although it was easy for Pats to sit back after they got the early goal and let Bohs play.

Bohs just lack that killer touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/989952420657577984?s=19

What are you on? That was far from flukey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was a pretty scrappy game really. We still need a bit more balance to the team. Kane and Horgan were superb, Duffy hardly had a kick all night. Glad we were the ones who took the chance when it came along, very tidy hit by Gearoid. Quite surprised by Dundalk though, 2 young centre backs handled their attacking threat mostly with ease and their shooting was as blunt as I ever remember in recent games.

I think Cummins up front is still a struggle to work with any fluency with the rest of the team.

Mars Bar wrote: »

He made a great contact but jesus it was straight down the middle. Defenders or keeper should have stopped it.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Flukey???? Ha ha ha ha ha !!! How those lemons pal?

Edit beaten to it

What lemons. No argument from me about the result and I've already said either team could have won it but neither team covered themselves in glory.

What lemons. No argument from me about the result and I've already said either team could have won it but neither team covered themselves in glory.

Fair enough! Sorry for the lemons comment but it did seem that way initially to me! If I wronged you then accept it was lost in text!

No fluke tho

Gary Rodgers doesn’t see it! If there’s any fluke there it’s that Gary Buckley miss’s the original chance

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/989970417900294145

What’s your take on Colm Horgan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Few players have missed a penalty by as wide a margin as McCabe did tonight for Bray. Really skied it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Fair enough! Sorry for the lemons comment but it did seem that way initially to me! If I wronged you then accept it was lost in text!

No fluke tho

Gary Rodgers doesn’t see it! If there’s any fluke there it’s that Gary Buckley miss’s the original chance

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/989970417900294145

I thought our defenders and Rogers we’re poor at the game for the goal, seeing RTE footage aswell made me think the same

Seeing that, Rogers had no chance

I thought our defenders and Rogers we’re poor at the game for the goal, seeing RTE footage aswell made me think the same

Seeing that, Rogers had no chance

Zero!! Makes the “fluke” comment all the more outrageous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fairly poor game at the Brandywell last night.

We were bossed by Rovers, who looked decent. If they had a forward they'd have won easily.

We were due a bad performance after so much free-flowing football and goals of late, and it came last night. Curtis going off left us light up front (although he had been well shackled up to his departure anyway), and we didn't get a shot on target all night.

Having said that, we won some games recently whilst really riding our luck (just ask the Pats fans after the televised game), and we are probably happy this morning with a point. Rovers a far better team than their recent results.

Finn was excellent last night. And Greg Bolger was my MOTM, was everywhere and ran the game.

Edit: forgot to say, thought Rovers were dirty last night. Some may say physical, I'd say dirty. I think it was fairly obvious they started the game with this mentality, and they did seem to target Ronan Curtis, who would have been our danger man. He was left needing stitches and had to leave the game due to concussion. Will be interesting to see the footage on Soccer Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Poor refereeing and another howler from Barry Murphy cost us the win last night. Certainly looked like a foul on Brennan from my vantage point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great strike.

Cork are so good when the ball is in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great strike.

We're so good at scoring goals and keeping clean sheets, too. You know, the things that win you football games?

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    We're so good at scoring goals and keeping clean sheets, too. You know, the things that win you football games?

Yeah the defensive shape & workrate is very very good.
    Physically very strong as well. Very tough to play against but a poor side to watch but Cork are better defensively than everyone else including Dundalk & are probably above Dundalk in terms of fitness now as well.

Turners Cross is a poor pitch helps Cork as well & they are better using high balls than anyone else.

Great strike.

You seem to have a thing about City and the ball being in the air.

The thing that matters is the ball being in the back of the net at one end and not the other.

City are good at that. Very good in fact. No goals conceded at home. 3 points clear at the top.

Some people might grasp at the ball being in the air, but such is life.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You seem to have a thing about City and the ball being in the air.

The thing that matters is the ball being in the back of the net at one end and not the other.

City are good at that. Very good in fact. No goals conceded at home. 3 points clear at the top.

Some people might grasp at the ball being in the air, but such is life.

Don't have a thing about it at all.

I have praised Cork & said what I think there strengths are.

Cork fans on here seem annoyed about it. Cork play to their strengths & it is not easy on the eye but effective.

In the games I have seen Cork anytime they crossed high balls or played longs balls they have looked most dangerous.

Yeah the defensive shape & workrate is very very good.
    Physically very strong as well. Very tough to play against but a poor side to watch but Cork are better defensively than everyone else including Dundalk & are probably above Dundalk in terms of fitness now as well.

Turners Cross is a poor pitch helps Cork as well & they are better using high balls than anyone else.

City are very good defensively, hard to become champions if you are not. Having such a new and young back four though just shows how important and fantastic it us for us that they are playing so well defensively.

The pitch is grand. Not as good as it has been. Not as good as it could be. But it's fine. There are plenty worse pitches out there, grass ones I mean.

City are not playing particularly well thus season, that is true. The free flowing football of last year will come again I'm sure. Hopefully we will be near the top when it does.
    Clear at the top and can play much better, I'll take that.

• Advertisement

Last night the pitch was a bit choppy but 90% of the time it's one of the best surfaces in the league. It's a pity that good surface will hold us up when it's back to normal :P

Don't have a thing about it at all.

Really?

Cork are so poor to watch. Ball in the air constantly.

....but yet you seem to mention it a lot, funny that.

Anyway, Derry really underperformed last, while Rovers were better than normal, poor in front of goal again away from home though. Saw them in Cork and thought they were toothless then too.
    Another red for Waterford in a game they will be annoyed not to win as they were playing 10 before seeing red again.

Its still only April, it'll take another few months before grass pitches are at their best (assuming they are well looked after).

Pitches always rough this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can anyone from Sligo tell me do they play that boring brand of football most weeks or was it just tonight? Fair dues though they got their point and they defended great.
    We haven’t played football since Paul cooks team won the league.

Can't get too excited over the win though. Could all flip around again on Monday. We need to do better against Rovers away this season, our poorest performances from last year were up there. More confident about the defence though, Kane looks a really good player and even though centre backs are young, pace isn't an issue there this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I think it’s a misconception that CCFC are a long ball side. I think now more than ever we try keep it on the deck. But circumstance dictates behaviour and if the need is to go long that’s what happens.

Anyway great win. I think Dundalk were given too much respect. They are an ok side but the Dublin media adore them and see them as this bastion of hope within the Irish game.

That said both CCFC and Dundalk are miles ahead of the rest. Maybe not Derry who will finish 3rd but certainly of the other 7.

Great to see a full house again last night.

From watching teams coming and going from the Brandywell over many years, I'd have to say the Cork team of the last 5 or 6 years had definitely based their game on the big, strong and physical side of things.

Not to say they haven't had skillful players in that time, but I don't think they have entertained or excited me too often watching them.

But then again, that's only going on a couple of appearance each season, I wouldn't be seeing them like people who go to the Cross every fortnight.

NIMAN wrote: »
    From watching teams coming and going from the Brandywell over many years, I'd have to say the Cork team of the last 5 or 6 years had definitely based their game on the big, strong and physical side of things.

Not to say they haven't had skillful players in that time, but I don't think they have entertained or excited me too often watching them.

But then again, that's only going on a couple of appearance each season, I wouldn't be seeing them like people who go to the Cross every fortnight.

I think strong and physical is a fair assessment of part of our play the past few seasons. Intensity is another word I'd use. We've played plenty of good football too as well, which goes unnoticed when we may be expected to win games at home anyway etc. I can't think of any launch it up and flick on goal that we have scored this season that we 'supposedly' do a lot. We haven't played that great overall this season and Cummins sometimes as an easy target can hamper the overall flow of our play, rather than on occasion being patient and confident enough with the ball to play back across the pitch like we usually have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What’s your take on Colm Horgan?

For that goal or in general?

I won't even make an arse of myself pretending I know a whole load about L.O.I players coz I don't watch it half enough.

For that goal he was quite unsighted from what I can see of the angle from behind the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

For that goal or in general?

I won't even make an arse of myself pretending I know a whole load about L.O.I players coz I don't watch it half enough.

For that goal he was quite unsighted from what I can see of the angle from behind the goal.

I think he assumed you were a Galway fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

€20 into the stands in Drogheda. For first division football. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Imagine how we feel watching that, after spending years watching Paul cook teams playing people off the pitch, orchestrated by the grea joey ndo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Zebra3 wrote: »
    €20 into the stands in Drogheda. For first division football. :o

That is outrageous. You’d probably get into a Bundesliga game for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »
    That is outrageous. You’d probably get into a Bundesliga game for that.

At least you can get p*ssed drinking in the stands of a Bundesliga team without fear of being kicked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

And I was disappointed we stayed at 15 seats/12 terrace after going down! 20 is far too much

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement